Allnighter Issues

Mike

With regards to all niters... Can we have a list here to see what we are talking about...

100 club....

Lifeline....

Rubgby..

Radcliffe..

Gloucester..

Six Hills....

Stoke Kings Hall...

Bidds....

please add others to the list...

The Wilton

Social source share

• Replies 372
  • Views 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

"very good point mate...

I have the best experience at places like Spain/ Germany/ Sweden/Italy etc etc... its nice to get away and we do it more and more..... Promoters in the uk are gonna have to take that into account for sure as the £ is really picking up against the Euro again and we all get the map and diary out to plan trips.... Also less visitors now from overseas to our events as they have enough quality events in their own countries....."

I wasn't even there Steve but I've been to events in Spain enough to know the atmosphere is always electric and the crowd as passionate was you could hope for anywhere....will certainly be making sure i'm in Bamberg next year.

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

rolleyes.gif

Indeed....

Is Bishops Wood another??? never been and don't know much about the promotion.... Barnsley will be back also soon.... plus a new Burnley all niter

Stewartby in Bedfordshire has an allnighter playing uptempo and underplayed.

Doc

Social source share

That's one of the problems with the UK in general. We're generally far too cynical and battle-weary to have fun any more after a lifetime of going to clubs and listening to years and years of music.

That's why I suspect the scene is much more vibrant abroad and probably skewers to a younger, more enthusiastic audience generally. It's certainly a massively refreshing change for me whenever I go abroad to an event. Elsewhere they seem more enthused and less willing to find fault with everything. Maybe they haven't been spoilt like us ay?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Agree Ian, But i go abroad a lot too and i dont hear the same tunes rep[eated over and over again like i do hear. maybe thats why its so refreshing. also they have no, "i wont play this style or that style agenda, cos it aint Northern soul". In fact they have the sort of open mind and soul that the uk seems to have lost with time.

Social source share

i really dont get the going abroad thing....theres plenty of great tunes to play ,,plenty of good djs to play them...ive been to an allniter nearly every week since oct and ave rarely been disappointed...most venues good tunes are played it cant that hard to get it right surely????

Social source share

i really dont get the going abroad thing....theres plenty of great tunes to play ,,plenty of good djs to play them...ive been to an allniter nearly every week since oct and ave rarely been disappointed...most venues good tunes are played it cant that hard to get it right surely????

Its not just the music... Its about travel/ culture/ holiday/ weekend break and taking in some soul at the same time.... A win win for sure..... Well for me and some of my mates it is..

You won't get the going abroad thing if you don't do it... Maybe give it a try.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Agree Ian, But i go abroad a lot too and i dont hear the same tunes rep[eated over and over again like i do hear. maybe thats why its so refreshing. also they have no, "i wont play this style or that style agenda, cos it aint Northern soul". In fact they have the sort of open mind and soul that the uk seems to have lost with time.

And you don't get someone looking like Arthur Mullard in a tight vest and original sweat patch telling them they did not go to Wigan :hatsoff2: ....

Some folk from overseas have had that experience at soul events here.... I am used to it( some of my best freinds look like Arthur Mullard ) but could see how its a culture shock to some Euro soul tripper....

Just a thought.....

Social source share

And you don't get someone looking like Arthur Mullard in a tight vest and original sweat patch telling them they did not go to Wigan ph34r.gif ....

Some folk from overseas have had that experience at soul events here.... I am used to it( some of my best freinds look like Arthur Mullard ) but could see how its a culture shock to some Euro soul tripper....

Just a thought.....

I don't look a bit like Arthur Mullard...well not so much if you dim the lights laugh.gif

I get a bit fed up of going out in the UK, it's a nice change to go abroad, not that I've had the chance that often.

The Dig Deeper night in NYC sounds great...deffo going to try that soon.Or maybe France or Spain...oh yes I fancy a bit of that a bit more than a civic hall in Rotherham biggrin.gif

Social source share

That's one of the problems with the UK in general. We're generally far too cynical and battle-weary to have fun any more after a lifetime of going to clubs and listening to years and years of music.

That's why I suspect the scene is much more vibrant abroad and probably skewers to a younger, more enthusiastic audience generally. It's certainly a massively refreshing change for me whenever I go abroad to an event. Elsewhere they seem more enthused and less willing to find fault with everything. Maybe they haven't been spoilt like us ay?

Ian D biggrin.gif

battle weary ,to have fun any more,after a lifetime of clubs,not me lan,billyhatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Before our outings were so rudely disrupted by John's head exploding, we had pretty much limited our social life to weekenders & overseas events, for financial and practical reasons. We just prefer the whole vibe and attitude, the overall experience pleases us more. Nowhere I would rather be than Oslo, Bamberg, Tuscany etc, or...umm, Yarmouth yes.gif . There is a great cameraderie which is reminiscent of the old days, in meeting up with people to travel with. With funds being stretched, it's a case of cherry picking and choosing the type of event you prefer; I like the foreign trips - they're exciting in so many more ways than just the music. You feel like you are on an adventure.

We still threw the odd soul night in but regular allnighters just don't float my creaking old boat anymore. Having said that, absence makes the heart grow fonder and I do miss them, just know I would be heading for the car with a duvet before 4am. And I can't do superpowered dance music anymore, I prefer more sedate soul which is generally not what feeds an all night event.

All subjective (and in my case all in the past. not due to apathy but circumstance) but I do hope the scene stays healthy, in all it's Heinz 57 varieties, for all to enjoy their own take on the soul scene.

Social source share

battle weary ,to have fun any more,after a lifetime of clubs,not me lan,billy:hatsoff2:

Not me either Billy. I partied right through from Thursday night til Sunday night before descending into a hopeless catatonic mess on bank holiday Monday.

Still, not bad ay?

I'm beginning to get back to normal now which should kick me off for another weekend LOL......

The point that I was trying to get across is that we do take an awful lot of things for granted over here and maybe familiarity breeds contempt to a degree. When you hit a country which doesn't have as much musical choice as we do, the enthusiasm from the audience is infectious and that generally makes for a lively night.

Ian D :D

Social source share

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think you need to go abroad to experience it Mark :thumbsup:

Promotors seem to work together, there's very little politics, and the attendees are enthusiastic and dance to new sounds they haven't heard of before.

Not like here with 35 events on every Saturday, all the "Wigan" baggage + all the musical bigotry "we only want to hear one element of northern soul music blah blah " nonsense I keep reading about.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think you need to go abroad to experience it Mark thumbsup.gif

Promotors seem to work together, there's very little politics, and the attendees are enthusiastic and dance to new sounds they haven't heard of before.

Not like here with 35 events on every Saturday, all the "Wigan" baggage + all the musical bigotry "we only want to hear one element of northern soul music blah blah " nonsense I keep reading about.

Thatcherism.Got to admire her!!!biggrin.gif .Up the Tory's.

Steve.Alot of people have shed that baggage long ago.But once married - you've still got an "ex".biggrin.gif

Social source share

Promoters are caught between a rock and a hard place.If they ad it as Rare,the oldies crowd turn their nose up.Ad it as oldies,it could well be a yawn for most.Modern - a (2)step too far again.

Best thing is don't pigeon hole the music.? Then you get folks complaining "What they play there?".So you end up with rare,crossover,modern,funk,2 step,trotalong nighters and nites.Genres,genres,genres.....

Back to the oldies vs rare issue at nighters.What iv'e noticed is that some "new" 60's are being played on the Oldies scene and are being instantly accepted.How does that work?.

"Stanky get funky" being an example.Suddenly its an oldies crowd anthem.Is it who plays it? Or cos it has relativley no history,so its easy to re-create as an oldie.?. Was short lived on the Rare scene.?

Don't understand Phoenix post re:Rare soul nights,and avoiding them cos you know what you're getting.It reads as at an Oldies nite you'd be pleasantly suprised at the playlists,but not at the rare nites.?

I got the answer!!

Lets try something really drastic and put on the flyers "NORTHERN SOUL ALLNIGHTER" you never know it may well catch on;)

Social source share

I got the answer!!

Lets try something really drastic and put on the flyers "NORTHERN SOUL ALLNIGHTER" you never know it may well catch on;)

You know what Daz,you've come up with a really constructive idea there.huh.gif

Social source share

But soul nights are part of the issue whether you like it or not. Boomerang for instance has Butch on doing a two hour stint (hardly 70's/crossover either), many travel to Boomerang and similar events who also book top dj's and it does have an effect on the attendance at allnighters. The same for weekenders.

How can soul nights be the issue this way? The fact is, a few years ago Butch decided to stop DJ'ing at soul nights in the UK (just the odd exception), so now you'll almost exclusively find him on the decks at niters and weekenders only. If I use your argument, this should have improved the niter situation. (I know you attend and support Boomerang, but I still needed to clear this up. )

....I missed his soul night sets, as some of these were his absolute best in my opinion. To have him on again this month after nearly two years, can hardly affect the niter scene. Besides, he's a free agent and can do what he pleases. We're just fortunate that it's us he's agreed to please! :yes:

These themes seem to be cropping up regarding niter attendance woes:

- Many are blaming the poorer economic times, which have been with us for the past year and looking uncertain for the future. People have agreed that now they seriously consider the cost of travelling to a distant niter, particularly as petrol prices rise. Soul nights are suffering as well, but niters need a larger crowd and therefore rely more on travellers.

- It has been said before, but additional weekenders are competition to funds / time. This includes the growing UK travellers to certain European events, many of which have raised expectations for events in the UK because the holiday experience and meeting new people is such a buzz. Many of us have also said that we have got to properly know more people from the UK by attending European events, then seeing them for years here and having a quick word at most.

- For many, the music has evolved from northern soul to "soul" and with more tastes / styles to please, diversification THEN FRUSTRATION is inevitable. The constant heated arguments on what should get played demonstrates this major factor.

- Whilst the soul internet chat lists have existed for some years (KTF started in '96 I think?), the last few years of rant, rave and "you must do" discussions are turning people off. Most of us naturally resent ill-feeling or authority inflicted on us. It has often been written that we have too many nights and times are bad. How motivated would that make one to participate?

Alternatively, new fresh nights seem to attract extra people, at least in the beginning.

- Technology is also impacting on satisfying social needs. The price guides and knowledge chat, sound files, you-tube, event photos and other such information ...involves people in a way, that they do not miss out on the social or music side of things completely. As someone said to me recently: "why attend a niter, when I can read the various experts' opinions and playlists next morning (lol)".

- We had noticed hard-edged 60s started to expand in popularity a few years ago with niters satisfying this most, whilst crossover smaller nights fell away. Perhaps the cyclical cog is now merely turning again?

- And lastly, it's becoming more acceptable to say you're too old or have a life and take a weekend off. I know, I know..... :thumbup:

No answers or interest in lengthy debates, just some thoughts. But I must send big kisses out to all those who posted up that we should just get out there and enjoy things while we can :rolleyes: .

m

Social source share

No answers or interest in lengthy debates, just some thoughts. m

................But some very good thoughts nonetheless Maria. Can't say I disagree with any of your thoughts on attedances

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

How can soul nights be the issue this way? The fact is, a few years ago Butch decided to stop DJ'ing at soul nights in the UK (just the odd exception), so now you'll almost exclusively find him on the decks at niters and weekenders only. If I use your argument, this should have improved the niter situation. (I know you attend and support Boomerang, but I still needed to clear this up. )

....I missed his soul night sets, as some of these were his absolute best in my opinion. To have him on again this month after nearly two years, can hardly affect the niter scene. Besides, he's a free agent and can do what he pleases. We're just fortunate that it's us he's agreed to please! :yes:

m

I wasn't knocking you or Butch for this, What I was saying Maria was that many Soul Nights, local or otherwise have some of the best DJ's on (I used Boomerang as an example and if you read what I said correctly I also said similar events) and because some won't have to go far to hear a top drawer DJ then this will have a bearing on whether or not someone decides to travel to an all-nighter or not, as in the case next weekend, not, I don't need to, Butch, Arthur and of course yourself can satisfy all my musical needs at a soul night. 5 hours of quality soul music, no driving so I can have a few pints, mints, cakes and whatever else you have on offer on the door :lol: and be home by 1.30am :thumbup: I also agree some of Butch's soul nights sets are his best.

Would you or anyone else choose an all-nighter 150 miles away or go and listen to what is on offer at your local soul night, especially when the likes of Butch are doing two hours, or any other top DJ for that matter? I think not :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Frank Elson

I think Frank is just good at stating the bleedin' obvious to be honest. True in the 80s, 90s, pick a year...

Surely the point is that, with hindsight today I was right.

It wasn't "obvious" to a lot of people in 1978.

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

....I missed his soul night sets, as some of these were his absolute best in my opinion. To have him on again this month after nearly two years, can hardly affect the niter scene. Besides, he's a free agent and can do what he pleases. We're just fortunate that it's us he's agreed to please! :lol:

These themes seem to be cropping up regarding niter attendance woes:

- Many are blaming the poorer economic times, which have been with us for the past year and looking uncertain for the future. People have agreed that now they seriously consider the cost of travelling to a distant niter, particularly as petrol prices rise. Soul nights are suffering as well, but niters need a larger crowd and therefore rely more on travellers.

- It has been said before, but additional weekenders are competition to funds / time. This includes the growing UK travellers to certain European events, many of which have raised expectations for events in the UK because the holiday experience and meeting new people is such a buzz. Many of us have also said that we have got to properly know more people from the UK by attending European events, then seeing them for years here and having a quick word at most.

- For many, the music has evolved from northern soul to "soul" and with more tastes / styles to please, diversification THEN FRUSTRATION is inevitable. The constant heated arguments on what should get played demonstrates this major factor.

- Whilst the soul internet chat lists have existed for some years (KTF started in '96 I think?), the last few years of rant, rave and "you must do" discussions are turning people off. Most of us naturally resent ill-feeling or authority inflicted on us. It has often been written that we have too many nights and times are bad. How motivated would that make one to participate?

Alternatively, new fresh nights seem to attract extra people, at least in the beginning.

- Technology is also impacting on satisfying social needs. The price guides and knowledge chat, sound files, you-tube, event photos and other such information ...involves people in a way, that they do not miss out on the social or music side of things completely. As someone said to me recently: "why attend a niter, when I can read the various experts' opinions and playlists next morning (lol)".

- We had noticed hard-edged 60s started to expand in popularity a few years ago with niters satisfying this most, whilst crossover smaller nights fell away. Perhaps the cyclical cog is now merely turning again?

- And lastly, it's becoming more acceptable to say you're too old or have a life and take a weekend off. I know, I know..... :lol:

No answers or interest in lengthy debates, just some thoughts. But I must send big kisses out to all those who posted up that we should just get out there and enjoy things while we can :thumbsup: .

m

So perfectly put Maria o,

It seems like when you post a personal opinion,

Somebody somewhere on here takes it as gospel and thats where the trouble starts.

I have only been on here a short while,and read many posts.

And ALL the arguments weather for or against seem to be going round in circles.

Seems like when you have read one thread on this subject you have read them all.

Lets just all enjoy our music no matter what taste you have,not predict the future.

and just see where it leads us all.

If Northern Soul or a near equivelent is still around in 50 years well thats great.

If its all dead in 10 years,well it just was'nt to be.

Stu.

Social source share

So perfectly put Maria o,

It seems like when you post a personal opinion,

Somebody somewhere on here takes it as gospel and thats where the trouble starts.

I have only been on here a short while,and read many posts.

And ALL the arguments weather for or against seem to be going round in circles.

Seems like when you have read one thread on this subject you have read them all.

Lets just all enjoy our music no matter what taste you have,not predict the future.

and just see where it leads us all.

If Northern Soul or a near equivelent is still around in 50 years well thats great.

If its all dead in 10 years,well it just was'nt to be.

Stu.

SWEAR I GOT RECORD FOR SALE, WITH P 8049 FOR 2K BILLY

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!