Ray Barretto - Acid - Fania - 1968 - Album

• Replies 16
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Only seen one orig (well the UK London version I think) before about 20 years ago, a mate of mine who was a latin/jazz DJ had one. Haven't got a clue on price but an orig Fania probs as rare as Hen's teeth? Or at least case of every latin collector who wants one has got one - leaving none for us soulies! Bloody superb LP.

Other Fania stuff came out on UK London, I used to have a Ralph Robles LP witha few boogaloo tracks on including Taking it over.

You obviously know about the 80s reissue, blue and white label but is there also one on Spanish/S. American?

Also if your only after Deeper shade of Soul or Mercy Mercy baby / Soul Drummers these came out as 45s, got both of these on white demos.

Mark.

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

Only seen one orig (well the UK London version I think) before about 20 years ago, a mate of mine who was a latin/jazz DJ had one. Haven't got a clue on price but an orig Fania probs as rare as Hen's teeth? Or at least case of every latin collector who wants one has got one - leaving none for us soulies! Bloody superb LP.

Other Fania stuff came out on UK London, I used to have a Ralph Robles LP witha few boogaloo tracks on including Taking it over.

You obviously know about the 80s reissue, blue and white label but is there also one on Spanish/S. American?

Also if your only after Deeper shade of Soul or Mercy Mercy baby / Soul Drummers these came out as 45s, got both of these on white demos.

Mark.

hatsoff2.gif Hi All ..You have chosen well my Boy. great LP and the 45 is collectable with great B side MERCY MERCY

ph34r.gif DAVE KILpost-13241-12725044592885_thumb.jpg

Social source share

300093811701.jpg

Price has always been all over the the place with this classic. Craig Moerer has had a London copy on his site for ages for 300 dollars.

I have noticed that it has sold for around 150 UKP, but Its one of those LPs that you can grab for 50 quid on a good day IMO.

I believe the gold label to be the first copy's pressed, with the cloud label being introduced slightly later (probably mid-press), this was 68 / 69

when they dropped the gold labels for the cloud designs.

Lots of the classic late 60s Boogaloo LPs and 45s on Fania turn up on both style of labels.

The 45 "Soul Drummers" came out on three label designs - two different golds with the old style Fania logo on the first ones - then gold with the later logo and finally the

later logo with the clouds label.

Anyway - happy hunting.

I personally love the LP as a whole - from the spaced out experimental Jazz of "Espiritu Libre" and "Acid" to all the classy Latin Soul tracks.

An essential LP and one I personally would never part with !

Totally Groovy !!!

Social source share

the late 80's reissue comes out from venezuela....nowdays a lot of fania records are pressed from the vampisoul....

got both (ray barreto and ralph robles) on fania with a lot of other titles and artist....also tico is an great label....

Social source share

the late 80's reissue comes out from venezuela....nowdays a lot of fania records are pressed from the vampisoul....

got both (ray barreto and ralph robles) on fania with a lot of other titles and artist....also tico is an great label....

Yeah, the venezuela presses of fania releases were done with the "Palacio" label and have the fania sunshine / tree labels of the time fixed on them.

not usually easy releases to find IMO considering they are later presses.

The sound quality is also absolutely fantastic on these venezuela lps.

post-6465-12725337631911_thumb.jpg

Edited by mossy
Social source share

palacio is an great label from Venezuela...when produced of course... i have the first original press of bobby valentine lp the one with geronimo track on palacio (first than fania one) yes very hard to find too on ebay thanks to some few dealer (some from mexico and my great friend from italy that diggin hard in colombia) now usually comes up

probably fania goes in the palacio factory to press directly some latin vibes late in the 80's...also because the palacio label failed and stop to produce their artist....

i'll remember some other great latin label like discos fuentes.....Fruko, Wgenda Kenya, Lito Barrientos, or Felito records or the Tropical....all based in colombia....if you want add me like your friend and you have facebook add me my full name is ALFREDO DJARNOLD MADDALONI....i've a couple of latinshow that you must hear..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

It was also released in France :

m041.jpg

Hello Philippe, this LP is the French 70's reissue, the first French 60's pressing came out on red "Disc Jockey - Maxi" label (with an horrible picture sleeve) and a second one came out on the same label too (with another hideous sleeve).

All Barretto's, Ralphie Pagan, Monguito Santamaria... French 45's pressings also came out on red or yellow "Disc Jockey" label with sleeves.

Social source share

Hello Philippe, this LP is the French 70's reissue, the first French 60's pressing came out on red "Disc Jockey - Maxi" label (with an horrible picture sleeve) and a second one came out on the same label too (with another hideous sleeve).

All Barretto's, Ralphie Pagan, Monguito Santamaria... French 45's pressings also came out on red or yellow "Disc Jockey" label with sleeves.

Merci Romain, on en apprend tous les jours ! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

The Gold Label will cost $150 + at least but the cloud label should be fairly cheap. I picked up an EX copy last year on ebay for $20 and am sure it was a late 60's pressing. I would say $20-40 for the non-gold label. I wouldn't mess around with any of the other pressings although I've heard the more recent re-issue and the sound quality is quite good.

:wave:

Social source share

300093811701.jpg

Picked up a copy, arrived today , same one in pick , original in stereo for £20.00 including delivery !!!!!! Managed to track it down in an old jazz shop in Germany , the guy clearly had'nt done his homework . There are still bargains out there if you search hard enough !!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

£20.00 is about what it's worth unless of course it's the OG gold label and then you got yourself a deal! Good luck trying to figure out what the best tune is. They're all great.

:hatsoff2:

Picked up a copy, arrived today , same one in pick , original in stereo for £20.00 including delivery !!!!!! Managed to track it down in an old jazz shop in Germany , the guy clearly had'nt done his homework . There are still bargains out there if you search hard enough !!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Mark.

Howdy Mark

Steve's had one for donkey's years, mid-80's after Nick Peacock put us on to 'Deeper Shade' and other Latin soul boogaloo say 'ello to ma leetle fren mambo madness groovers. Right tidy old LP, as I recall. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest alanbonthrone

Ricky Tomlinson on front cover

Social source share

Hi the two Alans! Glenrothes/ Shotts reunion here?

Ricky Tomlinson maybe!

(at least its not Ray Barretto who sings)

By the way, at risk of going slightly off topic, what do people think of Los Fulanos take on Bobby Valentin, maybe TOO latin for some (I personally love it, though I think Jock has other ideas!!!)?? Believe Dave T. played it at the Stafford reunion, just got mine the other week off amazon for a fiver!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!