That Driving Beat, Leeds 30Th April

Cracking night in Leeds city centre, billed as "Yorks vs Lancs", with Paul Barker and Liam Quinn spinning on behalf of the Beat Boutique, (accompanied by a large Manchester contingent) spinning against TDB residents Rich, Azza and Eddie, with the added bonus of Ady Croasdell.

Given the line-up, great sounds were guaranteed. What made the night for me was a great mixed crowd (about 150?), with travelling soul veterans and the younger soulies from TDB and the Beat Boutique joined by a good off-street crowd. Judging by the way they took to the floor and stayed late, they had a wail of a time......

Exceptional crowd of mentalists in attendance, the highlight undoubtedly being Brett Franklin's (very short) stint as an auxilliary barmanlaugh.gif. Ady called the contest as a draw (personally, I thought Yorks threw it away by playing Lou Lawtonbiggrin.gif ), but I was impressed by all the DJ's, with plenty of good uptempo '70's played. Ady's spot saw the first handbags hit the dancefloorohmy.gif

Thanks to Rich Buckley for the hospitality, as alwaysthumbsup.gif

Edited by Richard Bayley
  • Replies 14
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Absolutely brilliant night !!! thumbup.gif

It was full of great laughs,plenty of dancing,good chat's & even when I wasn't dancing just sitting back and admiring the young bloods lapping it up on the dancefloor. No trouble whatsoever from this city venue,well apart from a life long soulie who just had to get himself chucked out whistling.giflaugh.gif

I've popped some pics up in the gallery. Hope I've managed to capture what a great night it was. hatsoff2.gif

See you all at the next one thumbsup.gif

Ali xxx

JUDGING BY THE PHOTO'S LOOKS LIKE IT WAS A GREAT NIGHT :yes:

'TDB' IS DEFINATELY ON OUR LIST OF FUTURE EVENTS TO ATTEND thumbsup.gif

PETE

You got this in as I was typing my post Pete. Phew! I'm glad the pictures have shown the night how it was ..... GREAT!!

It really is a treat of a night & you won't regret visiting it.

ATB

Ali x

Guest xsquadie

What a top night.......

The "no drinks on the dance floor "signage was second to none.. Other venues are put to shame with pure quality of the signs..Its original laminate only at Driving Beats.

I cant wait for the next one..The word on the street is that Azza has got his hands on copier on the Lexmark label..So fingers crossed for colour next time out.

Second to the signage for me but still worth a mention is that last night......................

Was pure class... from the very first record to the last the dance floor was full. The whole place was buzzing. I spoke to one couple who were soul virgins and they just could not belive the atmospher what a friendly and up for it crowd this night attracts. I hope last night gives the management the confidence to stick with TDB, it is fastly becoming a must not miss for anyone who experiances a night down the cave. I for one know I dont want to miss any. thumbup.gif

See you all at the next 'un

Si and the little 'un

Guest The Truth Hurts

"Given the line-up, great sounds were guaranteed. What made the night for me was a great mixed crowd (about 150?), with travelling soul veterans and the younger soulies from TDB and the Beat Boutique joined by a good off-street crowd

"

Got to agree pal ,i,ve no specific allegience to TDB or any other venue and promoters but it think it will have a real golden seam for a while on the scene.What with the mix of people and the inhouse quality control musically , its a bit more uplifting and energetic ,floor busy , a right night .cheers

We had a great time last night, it was like a breath of fresh air.

It was reallly good to see alot of young people dancing and enjoying themselfs.

Thanks to all the people who made us welcome on our 1st visit,

The music was good (a nice mix of tunes) and the dance floor was busy all night.

Alison good photos BTW, and a big well done to all.

Also thanks to Sarah for having us back to hers after.

Dave & Louise.

First time at this club and a big big WOW , what a venue , what great friendly people and what great entheusiasm shown by all d.j's and punters alike. My wife took me to York for the weekend and we decided to drive the 25 miles to Leeds on the Friday for this.

We werent dissappointed one bit , my wife is a serious rockabilly girl and isnt into northern at all but she loved the variety of music played here. Ive gotta say i didnt know half the music played and loved every one of them. It was great to see a younger crowd 20,s to 30,s mainly who were well up for it. The scene needs these to keep it alive.

Within minutes of being in there i was greeted by Azza , also said hi to Rich Buckley , 2 very friendly guys who played some great tunes. Later on Kirsty and Alison said hi to me and my wife Sam and i thought it was lovely to meet fellow soul sourcers putting faces to names you see on here. Overall i would certainly reccomend this place to anyone thats never been , miss it at your peril

Rich , Azza and all involved , a big thanks for making me welcome and for kicking my weekend off in style , keep on doing what your doing...it certainly worked for me & Sam.

Edited by daz mc

Finally got round to posting on the lookback after a rather hectic weekend of all things soulful.

Firstly, can i say a massive thanks to all those who attended Friday's event. Couldn't believe how far some people had travelled, it's really heart warming and makes it all worth while...........the best turn out since our anniversary do!!

Secondly, thanks for all the kind words on here and on the night. Puts things into perspective when you get comments like we've received and makes any wrangles we might have with the venue management insignificant :yes:

Thirdly a MASSIVE thanks to the DJ's on the night for delivering an astounding array of quality across the board music. Up front soul all the way from all the genres we advertise. Paul and Liam were superb, bringing the Beat Boutique style to Yorkshire. Man of the match for me was Ady Croasdell - a set of immense proportion, mixing 100 club monsters with his unissued finds all blended together in a set that rocked the house. I don't think i've ever seen so many acetates in one place!

The mix of crowd was really pleasing for me. Great to see young soulies mixing with the slightly older soulies, and also some of the Jo public really getting into it and respecting the 'NS rules' :D

We really hope to be able to continue our night at this venue, and the success of Friday should go a long way to securing that. However, should it no longer be a plausable option for us and the management, we're already looking at options as both me, Rich and Eddie firmly believe in delivering a night like this to Leeds. The music policy seems to work and mix of crowd is genuine which isn't always achievable in a city centre.

Would be great to see you all back down there next month when we have the extreeeeeeemly talented and rather in demand Callum guesting for us.

Azza

An absolutely fantastic night down at our favourite do,the busiest we've ever seen it.

Met quite a few people who were trying out their first northern soul night who absolutely loved it.

Daz & Sam it was lovely to meet you both & for you & the other 4 people who asked me my perfum is Be Delicious by DKNY,it completely went out of head on Friday.

Roll on the next one thumbsup.gif

K & D x

What a brilliant night. Nothing really to add to that. Except.... I have seen the future and it works!

Comrade (John Reid) Moustache

Guest Decroco

It wo bloody rubbish. Nobdy playd t' snake or skiin in t' snow and nobdy spok wi a yorksher aksent - and w thee anywun theer fromt' baaarnsli? wo thee ek! eksept Angus n Karren but ee in't from yorkshe wi a name like that

Could we have a play list or 2 heard a tune that Paul B played and I can't think for the life of me what it was (it bloody bugs yer that does)

Best night we have been to for ages.

Top night last friday. Amazing venue, one of the best I've seen. This night needs the support of soul sourcers as they've been getting hassle from the management but after last friday surely that will change.

This night really does have the lot. Great sound system, really good mixture of punters and an AMAZING sunken dancefloor.

Here's a few of what I played before the cider took control and swiped my memory a tad.

You better think it over - Dushons

Holding on - Eugene Gaspard

Eddie and Ernie - Bullets don't have eyes

Leon Collins - I jusy wanna say I love you

Bobbie Smith - Walk on into my heart

David Ruffin - No matter where

Puzzles - My sweet baby

Heartbreakers - I've got to face it

Mary Queenie Lyons - See but can't see