Bobby Thurston -Dead Or Alive ?

• Replies 39
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just been talking to someone who swears he knows someone who was talking to Bobby Thurston 2 years ago......

I think hes long gone to soul heaven--about 15 to 18 years

anybody provide an answer please

ta

Rob

eh up mate, must admit i thought he'd gone, but only a few years ago i thought

Social source share

If he did pass away I don't recall hearing about it, Rob.

I've racked my brains and I can't remember hearing anything of his demise.

Born in 1954, he'd only be 56 (if he's still around) but he was one hell of a big guy (Billy Stewart proportions) so who knows, maybe another 'early' one.

Sean

Social source share

Definitely passed on - I seem to remember it was a heart attack which wasn't surprising going by the size of him

I don't think it was as long as 15 years ago - must be within the last 10

Thats what i heard--but how do we know ?-heart attack again seems to fit the bill

Rob

Social source share

Just been talking to someone who swears he knows someone who was talking to Bobby Thurston 2 years ago......

I think hes long gone to soul heaven--about 15 to 18 years

anybody provide an answer please

ta

Rob

I have checked the information super highway , and there is nothing stating BT has given up his very last drop , sorry breath , and has yet to check out the grave , soory goove ......

Looks like he is still with us Rob .

Looked at my article yet ? It is like waiting for the exam results to come in :yes: .......

Malc Burton.

Social source share

I have checked the information super highway , and there is nothing stating BT has given up his very last drop , sorry breath , and has yet to check out the grave , soory goove ......

Looked at my article yet ? It is like waiting for the exam results to come in :yes: .......

Malc Burton.

Its in the "Things to be marked" pile Godfrey

been on nights and nothing sinks in !!laugh.gif

Can we run a book on this ? Dead "ODDS ON"--alive 10/1 and odds shortening..

I hope he's alive-but very much doubt it-and if he is why the F**k isn't there any new material ?? (Very last drop was a stunner 1)

Rob

Social source share

Its in the "Things to be marked" pile Godfrey

been on nights and nothing sinks in !!laugh.gif

Can we run a book on this ? Dead "ODDS ON"--alive 10/1 and odds shortening..

I hope he's alive-but very much doubt it-and if he is why the F**k isn't there any new material ?? (Very last drop was a stunner 1)

Rob

The last release I know of was " The Main Attraction " album in 1981 , which flopped better than Dick Fosbury .

I will do a search on Faeces Book , if he is still alive , he will be on there .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've put my mate Eric LeBlanc on the case - he knows all there is to know about dead R&B and Soul artists, and quite a bit about living ones as well.

Will report back...

...but in the meantime I'm sure that I read an obit some time in the 90s saying that BT had died from complications related to diabetes. I can't imagine that I dreamed that up - but let's hope Eric can sort this out for us!

Social source share

Soul singer Bobby Thurston was a native of Washington, D.C., and got his start singing and playing congas with a group called Spectrum Ltd. in his high school years. He caught his break when writers/producers Willie Lester and Rodney Brown heard him sing live, and signed him as part of their attempt to forge a stable of artists in the vein of Philadelphia International. Thurston recorded his first album, Sweetest Piece of the Pie, in 1978, and it was very much in the smooth, mellow Philly soul vein, with help from keyboardist/arranger Al Johnson. Thurston's subsequent recordings for Prelude were more consistently disco-oriented, starting with 1980's double-sided 12" club smash "You Got What It Takes"/"Check Out the Groove." The accompanying LP, You Got What It Takes, became his biggest seller, but the 1981 follow-up, The Main Attraction, was less successful, and Thurston faded from view as disco died out. Steve Huey, All Music Guide

Just found this on the net:

Bobby Thurston Sweetest Piece Of The Pie music CD album $22.85 in stock at CD ... in hearse chasing, issued just months after the great singer's death. ...

Social source share

I think I read about his death in one of the 'In The Basement' magazines they used to cover loads of obituaries from well know soul artists to backing singers / producers etc

Also seem to remember something about him being a school teacher before becoming a professional singer

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

looking good for us -but sadly not for Bobbysad.gif

waiting for Tony's report back

It does seem incredible that a talented man of that size could just disappear without a trace !

with a sizeable hit record under his belt as well !

Rob

My pal Eric's sleuthing has come up with a birth date (28 March 1947) and birthplace (Washington DC) but there's no death certificate for Bobby H Thurston - a legal requirement, I believe, for all deceased Americans, especially those who worked in or for the government, which Bobby did (for the state department) - so rumours of his death could actually be exaggerated. Although I'm still sure I read an obit, like others on here are.

He was still living in DC at the start of the 00ties, apparently - and I do now have the address that he was living at, at that time.

Incidentally, Bobby only had the one small hit ("You Got What It Takes") in the USA. Amazingly, "Check Out The Groove" did not chart at all over there!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Bobby Thurston Sweetest Piece Of The Pie music CD album $22.85 in stock at CD ... in hearse chasing, issued just months after the great singer's death. ...

The LP came out in 1978 so if the above statement is true then he must have passed away either in 1977 or 78, but no firm confirmation.

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

The LP came out in 1978 so if the above statement is true then he must have passed away either in 1977 or 78, but no firm confirmation.

Cant be as he had a massive hit with "Check out the groove " April 1980 and the follow up albums in 81/82-however SPOTP was re-issued in 1988.....so that might make more sense

Rob

Social source share

ralph tee will know or john benson i know hes gone but dont know when.

Hi fuzz

Just got a message off Ralph Tee on Facebook

He says "Bobby Thurston died MANY years ago" .....

so we still need to establish where & when & how-like F**king CLUDO this one !

Rob

Social source share

Hi fuzz

Just got a message off Ralph Tee on Facebook

He says "Bobby Thurston died MANY years ago" .....

so we still need to establish where & when & how-like F**king CLUDO this one !

Rob

rob bobby appeared on top of the pops in 81 ish . im sure one of dearloves repoters did an indepth interview 4 voices from the shadows 90s i will have a look or ask richard searling hes a fountain of trivia dates times etc unless u want to send him a email gud lookhatsoff2.gif

Social source share

rob bobby appeared on top of the pops in 81 ish . im sure one of dearloves repoters did an indepth interview 4 voices from the shadows 90s i will have a look or ask richard searling hes a fountain of trivia dates times etc unless u want to send him a email gud lookhatsoff2.gif

Header%20Artists.jpg

bobby thurston

Bobby-Thurston.jpgBobby-Thurston-Nice-2008.jpg

b. 1954, Washington, D.C., U.S.A.

Bobby Thurston hails from Washington D.C.

Bobby originally sang backing vocals and played congas with the group Spectrum Ltd while at high school.

Eventually he took over as lead singer while maintaining a job at the State Department.

Performing one night he met producers Willie Lester and Ronnie Brown who took him to the Prelude label.

Bobby-Thurston-2-2008.jpgBobby-Thurston-3-2008.jpg

Here Lester / Brown wrote and produced his debut album 'You Got What It Takes,' from which 'Check Out The Groove' was a UK Top 10 in 1980.

The album contained Bobby's version of
classic 'Sitting In The Park'.

'The Main Attraction' followed in 1981 and featured the popular 'Very Last Drop'.

Bobby-Thurston-1-2008.jpg

Bobby moved on to Willie Lester and Ronnie Brown's own label Mainline for one album, 'Sweetest Piece Of The Pie', including 'Just Ask Me' and 'Treat Me The Same Way', eventually released in the UK on the Hi Hut label in 1988.

The album featured
on keyboards and arrangements.

getfree_anim.gif

Social source share

Yes he was in the UK at the Skeggy Tent thing that member Golden 101 put on in 1980/1 ?

I know several people that saw him "Live" there although the event was far ahead of its time for its day.

I think Bobby never returned to the USA , but decided to take up a career as "The Jolly Fisherman"

post-1887-12735021114032.jpg

I think he's hiding in Donna & Daves cafe

I WILL get to the bottom of this one day

Rob

Social source share

Rob

I saw him at Skeggy with Mass Production and he never even had any "Chips" and as much as I love Skeggy I don't think he bid on a bungalow in Chapel St leonards.

Have sent emails to some contacts to see if they have any idea where the man is

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan

Social source share

• 7 years later...
Guest Jbabyncville
On 5/2/2010 at 03:05, Guest said:

Malc Burton.

I'm a distant cousin...I don't recall hearing that he is dead and Spokeo has him listed as still alive. If and when I find out anything different, I'll update.

Social source share

Guest Jbabyncville
On 4/14/2018 at 20:14, Jbabyncville said:

I'm a distant cousin...I don't recall hearing that he is dead and Spokeo has him listed as still alive. If and when I find out anything different, I'll update.

In Memory of

Bobby THURSTON

March 28, 1947 - September 7, 2016

Obituary

Arrangements under the direction of National Harmony Memorial Park, HYATTSVILLE, MD.

"Mr. Bobby Haywood Thurston is resting in the Garden of Warren, Lot 319, Site 4.
Any obituary would be at the funeral home which was McGuire Funeral Home." was the quote I received from National Harmony Memorial Park and was referred to McGuire Funeral Home. Yet the funeral home website has no obit and like someome else said I was not able to find a death certificate either...Strange altogether....I don't know what else to say.

Social source share

Guest Jbabyncville

I guess he's not with us....no obit, no death certificate and when you do a search of the cemetary website, it has no record...

Social source share

5 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

I seem to remember reading some time ago that Bobby had infact passed away. However the obituary mentioned above has a birth date of 1947, however discogs has a birth date of 1954 which ties in a little better with the start of most artists recording deals, ie Mainline records ' This cant be happening to me' 1975, later picked up by Avco. Although discogs has no listing for the Mainline 45 only Avco, I am pretty sure it was his first as I have a copy. So maybe the obituary above is a different person?

Andy

Social source share

Guest Jbabyncville
On 4/18/2018 at 18:46, still diggin said:

I seem to remember reading some time ago that Bobby had infact passed away. However the obituary mentioned above has a birth date of 1947, however discogs has a birth date of 1954 which ties in a little better with the start of most artists recording deals, ie Mainline records ' This cant be happening to me' 1975, later picked up by Avco. Although discogs has no listing for the Mainline 45 only Avco, I am pretty sure it was his first as I have a copy. So maybe the obituary above is a different person?

Andy

My mother's father(who came back to VA) and Bobby's father(who stayed in DC) were brothers. My Mom was born in 1945 and she has fond memories of him as a child near her age. If he was born in 1954 as stated he would have came along with the twins born in 1955 instead of Mom. Maybe they fudged with his age??? I only met him once in maybe 1981 or 1982 and he appeared more closer to my Mom's age....IDK I'm still looking.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!