Robbie Lawson Re-Press

• Replies 88
  • Views 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Reply from Paul, have emailed him again to to see if I can get a bit more info from him.

Mark

I am the only one who rightfully have the right to press Kyser Records. From back to 1967. No other person has the rights. I own the master and the song and copyrights. Any one else are crooks.

Paul Kyser

Social source share

Reply from Paul, have emailed him again to to see if I can get a bit more info from him.

Mark

I am the only one who rightfully have the right to press Kyser Records. From back to 1967. No other person has the rights. I own the master and the song and copyrights. Any one else are crooks.

Paul Kyser

Doesn't answer what is an alarming (and bloody expensive!) predicament for a few collectors though does it?

Rich

Social source share

Latest reply from Paul.

Mark

All of those are bootlegs. I'm the only one with the origional masters. I might do something in the future but because of the value of my records it's hard to say.

Paul Kyser

I've emailed him again waiting on reply, so it looks like a no, he hasn't done it, so if there's a new press out and about it's a boot.

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

Latest reply from Paul.

Mark

All of those are bootlegs. I'm the only one with the origional masters. I might do something in the future but because of the value of my records it's hard to say.

Paul Kyser

I've emailed him again waiting on reply, so it looks like a no, he hasn't done it, so if there's a new press out and about it's a boot.

He has done it, he admitted it and gave the guy his money back! Unless Phil is making it up - and why would he do that?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Avery good friend of mine bought one of these err represses....it was sold to him BY THE LABEL OWNER AS AN ORIGINAL 60,S COPY.....not as a repress!!!!! for well over £700.....when my mate sent it back and asked for his money back.....guess what?.....no money, wave.gif no record.....no fook all nono.gif .......happy birthday PAULangry.gifaggressive.gif come over the pond for a visit and you,ll get a BURNING SENSATION.......peggy babcock

Social source share

Guest sean daniels

He has done it, he admitted it and gave the guy his money back! Unless Phil is making it up - and why would he do that?

DEFO YES........

Social source share

DEFO YES........

I agree. I've seen one and compared it to a proper '60s original release, and Ted Massey was sitting with me at the time. They are really close, and probably have used the same masters and a very good label, but they are slightly different.

Whilst Paul Kyser might well have the legal rights to all the songs and the label, re-pressing them and not informing buyers that they are a recent re-press is not morally right.

Social source share

gold of my life all over again isnt it. what is it about these people that makes them think that if they own the recording and put it out in the 60`s. they can do it again in 2010 and still charge top price. deluded or what. i thought it was common knowledge that paul kyser never had any copies of BS when they found him some years ago or was it just the one in not very good nick:g:

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

gold of my life all over again isnt it. what is it about these people that makes them think that if they own the recording and put it out in the 60`s. they can do it again in 2010 and still charge top price. deluded or what. i thought it was common knowledge that paul kyser never had any copies of BS when they found him some years ago or was it just the one in not very good nick:g:

dave

Has it been confirmed that PK did these? :thumbsup:

If so, well it looks like he nearly got away with it doesn't it. I spose for these fellas they are bombarded with desperate Brits waving their cheque books, and it's their chance to make a fast buck.

Of course it's totally immoral, but I guess that's why they do it.

One of the biggest mistakes we make is because we're by and large a friendly bunch, we assume that everyone involved with the original music are good people. They ain't. Half of them are husslers, and never paid the fooking singers, session musicians, record co's etc. For every nice guy, there's a dodgy one out there. Once again "buyer beware" etc. Know your subject. Years ago he was interviewed by Tim A in a mag (Rare Soul Review) and he said he didn't have any copies. So how is he suddenly going to magically find more copies years later? In his attic? - give me a break!

This crap has been going on for years - Johnny Watson back in the 90s etc. passed off as an original until Tim A saw it, and blew the lid off the fraud. It ain't new. and it;ll happen again.

Anyway hope those that were done get their money back. But I doubt it. Someone's probably driving round in a new car by now.....

Edited by Steve G
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

I've had another email of Paul, he hasn't confirmed one way or another that they have been done previously, but he has informed me that Robby Lawson is in a bad way fancially so may consider doing a limited press to help him out.

I've told him they would generally sell for £10-£20 in the Uk.

He's getting back to me again on Monday.

Social source share

Avery good friend of mine bought one of these err represses....it was sold to him BY THE LABEL OWNER AS AN ORIGINAL 60,S COPY.....not as a repress!!!!! for well over £700.....when my mate sent it back and asked for his money back.....guess what?.....no money, wave.gif no record.....no fook all nono.gif .......happy birthday PAULangry.gifaggressive.gif come over the pond for a visit and you,ll get a BURNING SENSATION.......peggy babcock

There was one in a sells box at the last Radcliffe All-Nighter.

I took it to be real one I asked how much, the seller said it was for trades only.

So like I said I took it to be real, the reason I asked how much cause I had never seen it in a sells box before.

For all I know it could have been real, but it is a little strange how this story is out.thumbsup.gif

Dave.

Social source share

As Dave asked for a scan at the start of the thread we are still all waiting for one, suprised no one has one or is this an urban myth again.

i think if dave rimmer and ted massey have had one of each side by side i would take it as fact. it will all come out in the wash. it wouldnt surpries me if in the coming months these represses start trickling over. time will tell

dave

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm assuming were talking about the red/white orig but can anyone tell me what is the pink Kyser label press of this? Is it a boot from the 70s?

Social source share

As Dave asked for a scan at the start of the thread we are still all waiting for one, suprised no one has one or is this an urban myth again.

I had heard the story from a good friend in New York that knows Paul. He contacted me and told me to be careful, not to pay lots of money for one. I originally asked the question in the most polite way possible, as I did not want to scream scam with out fully knowing and seeing proof.

What has worried me more is that I had also heard that several people, and a couple of them well know in the UK had been trying to pass these off as first pressings. I'm sure if asked they would fall back on the old 'I didn't know' or 'They looked real to me'. But as has been stated here it is well documented that Paul has said over nearly 20 years that he has no copies, so if he starts selling them, it has to be strange.

Over the years many people have done second pressings using the original stampers or just managed to get identical second prssings made, as pointed out by John Manship in another thread currently running on here.

Does Paul fully understand what he is doing, hard to say. But just about everyone involved in passing them on in the UK as originals, should understand the morals or do and have chosen to ignore them.

As I said, I started this thread in as polite away as possible to try and stop mis-selling.

As always you pays your money and takes your choice, but better to have the knowledge to do so availble.

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I had heard the story from a good friend in New York that knows Paul. He contacted me and told me to be careful, not to pay lots of money for one. I originally asked the question in the most polite way possible, as I did not want to scream scam with out fully knowing and seeing proof.

What has worried me more is that I had also heard that several people, and a couple of them well know in the UK had been trying to pass these off as first pressings. I'm sure if asked they would fall back on the old 'I didn't know' or 'They looked real to me'. But as has been stated here it is well documented that Paul has said over nearly 20 years that he has no copies, so if he starts selling them, it has to be strange.

Over the years many people have done second pressings using the original stampers or just managed to get identical second prssings made, as pointed out by John Manship in another thread currently running on here.

Does Paul fully understand what he is doing, hard to say. But just about everyone involved in passing them on in the UK as originals, should understand the morals or do and have chosen to ignore them.

As I said, I started this thread in as polite away as possible to try and stop mis-selling.

As always you pays your money and takes your choice, but better to have the knowledge to do so availble.

Dave

My friend whobought one......was told by paul k.....that it was a definate 60,s original.......until it arrived and the alarm bells started to ring.....my friend showed it to john m....who confirmed it was dodgy T

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Here it is:

Paul got a few from his ex-wife last year. He and I had hatched a plan (that worked!) to get them from her. He thought there was a 25 count box at first, but only 8-9 came up. Not all clean. They are real, but all this doubt to their authenticity was all too much headache for him or I to deal with. Paul is not a poor or desperate man, and I really don't see him A) needing to pass off fake represses as real for money B) Doing such a good job if he did (!) C) making 8 copies. There has been no flood of these (pictured) copies around to suggest otherwise.

My personal theory on this is that there is a certain 'glossy' look to those KYSER labels that is freaking people out. That combined with the fact that this title has been booted a lot over the years - and you have this messy rumor-mill-type situation you see above. I never made a buck off any of this, I was merely trying to help Paul out. Shame, as it's a great record and all of this (i mean this current dilemma combined with past blatant bootlegging of this title) has sort of sullied the song in general from getting as many plays as it deserves. Hopefully they do a legit re-press (clearly stated) to raise some funds for Robby and mainly just to get the music out there. I certainly will suggest it to Paul.

Social source share

Paul got a few from his ex-wife last year. He and I had hatched a plan (that worked!) to get them from her. He thought there was a 25 count box at first, but only 8-9 came up. Not all clean. They are real, but all this doubt to their authenticity was all too much headache for him or I to deal with. Paul is not a poor or desperate man, and I really don't see him A) needing to pass off fake represses as real for money B) Doing such a good job if he did (!) C) making 8 copies. There has been no flood of these (pictured) copies around to suggest otherwise.

My personal theory on this is that there is a certain 'glossy' look to those KYSER labels that is freaking people out. That combined with the fact that this title has been booted a lot over the years - and you have this messy rumor-mill-type situation you see above. I never made a buck off any of this, I was merely trying to help Paul out. Shame, as it's a great record and all of this (i mean this current dilemma combined with past blatant bootlegging of this title) has sort of sullied the song in general from getting as many plays as it deserves. Hopefully they do a legit re-press (clearly stated) to raise some funds for Robby and mainly just to get the music out there. I certainly will suggest it to Paul.

So why is the run off on the b side different in size on the recent copies to that on the original copies? A mystery!

Social source share

So why is the run off on the b side different in size on the recent copies to that on the original copies? A mystery!

also, john manship has seen a copy of the so called recent originals and said that the way the labels were printed is all wrong and that technology was not around in the sixties

Social source share

Paul got a few from his ex-wife last year. He and I had hatched a plan (that worked!) to get them from her. He thought there was a 25 count box at first, but only 8-9 came up. Paul is not a poor or desperate man, and I really don't see him A) needing to pass off fake represses as real for money B) Doing such a good job if he did (!) C) making 8 copies. There has been no flood of these (pictured) copies around to suggest otherwise.

Oh right, :hatsoff2:

We're not stupid over here mate.

Press 300 copies - cost $600. Trash 290, sell 10 at £700 = £7,000. R-E-S-U-L-T.

Social source share

seems like youve been taken in just like a few over here, Darcys mate sent it back and waited nearly 10 months only for it to be returned

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

where the americans always seem to go wrong ....either out of stupidity or just down right thickytwiness is over here so many people know so much,who,s got what, where and why record wise....some of us brits even know if the singer wiped his arse before recording a song. Up shot whenever the yanks try these tricks they're rumbled before they get out the starting blocks.....so thought for the americans YOU SHOULDN,T OF LET US HAVE ALL THE BLOODY RECORDS SO CHEAP IN THE FIRST PLACE LOL......ATB PEGGY BABCOCK

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Here are scans of the A side, "I Have Searched", from my real copy and my "other" copy. (Note the run out)

I was immediately suspicious and my fears were confirmed by John Manship.

I sent it back and it was returned 10 months later, not signed for!

I take it out occasionally and warn others, I have been offered up to £1700 by people who don't believe me when I tell them about it. I would say it's worth about £10 but it cost me $1500 and hope to get my money back one day. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I have written to, emailed and pm'd Paul Kyser to no avail.

Any suggestions, apart from hiring an expensive US attorney?

post-9997-12734195937915_thumb.jpgpost-9997-1273419654316_thumb.jpg

post-9997-12734195937915_thumb.jpg

post-9997-1273419654316_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnmcc
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Here are scans of the A side, "I Have Searched", from my real copy and my "other" copy. (Note the run out)

I take it out occasionally and warn others, I have been offered up to £1700 by people who don't believe me when I tell them about it. I would say it's worth about £10 but it cost me $1500 and hope to get my money back one day. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Don,t believe you....paul kyser owns the rights to this tune.......he would never stitch you up lol

Social source share

Unless it the scans, but the red label colour is also different

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

hi john hope you get your money back soon mate i know youve been waiting long enough to be ripped off like that is awful you showed me that record and to be honest it looked ok but then when you compare YOUR ORIGINAL COPY TO THE OTHER THE VYNAL LOOKED SO NEW, HOW MANY OTHERS HAVE BEEN STUNG BEST NIGE,,

Social source share

Unless it the scans, but the red label colour is also different

...and the label on the 45 on the right, is about 3% smaller than the one on the left

Plus it seems like the label on the right one has been printed using the "dot matrix" system (which the original definitely wasn't printed with).

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest lotusland

seems like youve been taken in just like a few over here, Darcys mate sent it back and waited nearly 10 months only for it to be returned

well, for the record I never paid for one. I simply brokered one deal, although that copy was sent to me for verification at which point I thought, to the best of my ability, that it looked real.

i never bought copies to re-sell, and after the hassle on the first brokered copy I never touched another one. not saying that I was convinced either way (fake or real) , just that I didn't need the stress! especially for no money or records on my part.

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Oh right, :hatsoff2:

We're not stupid over here mate.

Press 300 copies - cost $600. Trash 290, sell 10 at £700 = £7,000. R-E-S-U-L-T.

If this type of situation occurred, it would be purely on Mr Kyser's end and I would have been lied to about it as well. Please properly direct these bad vibes.

Social source share

If this type of situation occurred, it would be purely on Mr Kyser's end and I would have been lied to about it as well. Please properly direct these bad vibes.

Have you asked Mr. Kyser about it?

It does seem a little strange that he has not been on this site since around the time all this happened.

This site must look like an 'all you can eat buffet' to some people :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Have you asked Mr. Kyser about it?

It does seem a little strange that he has not been on this site since around the time all this happened.

This site must look like an 'all you can eat buffet' to some people :hatsoff2:

Yes,of course. He swears that they are real 60s copies that came out of his ex's house. I cannot say anything on the subject beyond that. All of this was via phone, so I never really got to see the copies outside of the one that was sent to me for verification. I had no 'confirmed' real copy to compare it to , but could immediately tell (obviously) that the known boots were a different color. We got matrix info from someone in UK and it seemed to match up. Anyways, to this minute I'm not really properly convinced either way, and the only thing I know for sure is that I don't need the headache! As stated, my role in this was purely to connect Paul with a buyer or two, I wasn't being compensated in any way. My plan, truthfully, was to help him move a few and then to hopefully get a cheaper copy for myself out of the deal eventually, but it got weird pretty quick so I simply bowed out after connecting the (doubtful) buyer with Kyser directly.

Social source share

well, for the record I never paid for one. I simply brokered one deal, although that copy was sent to me for verification at which point I thought, to the best of my ability, that it looked real.

i never bought copies to re-sell, and after the hassle on the first brokered copy I never touched another one. not saying that I was convinced either way (fake or real) , just that I didn't need the stress! especially for no money or records on my part.

Hi,

Are you anything to do with urbanlandmusic?

Do you know who they are?

Thanks, John

Social source share

Hi,

Are you anything to do with urbanlandmusic?

Do you know who they are?

Thanks, John

Paul Kyser, founder of Urbanland Music (https://www.urbanlandmusic.com/).

Urbanland Music and it's subsidiaries was founded in 1999 by Paul Kyser, a world known songwriter, arranger, conductor, producer and record company owner. Kyser worked and built relationships with just about all of the artists from the late 60s and 70s era. Kyser wrote over 30 hits in his career as a record producer. During the 90s Kyser decided to bring back the 70s Sweet Soul sound to the stage.Kyser bought back groups like Black Ivory who hadn't sung in years.That's when Urbanland was founded. To promote 70s music entertainment in a big way. (https://web.archive.org/web/20070423165902/https://www.urbanlandmusic.com/)

https://saltyka.blogspot.com/2009/05/rhyze.html

Social source share

You sir, are beginning to sound like what we in the UK refer to as a "Merchant Banker" :hatsoff2:

This is what you said this morning:

"Paul got a few from his ex-wife last year. He and I had hatched a plan (that worked!) to get them from her. They are real, but all this doubt to their authenticity was all too much headache for him or I to deal with. Paul is not a poor or desperate man, and I really don't see him A) needing to pass off fake represses as real for money B) Doing such a good job if he did (!) C) making 8 copies. There has been no flood of these (pictured) copies around to suggest otherwise. "

Now you're saying "Hey don't have a go at me, blame Paul" when you've been on here bleating about "plans" and the records being "real" etc. when clearly they are not!

Wise up fella.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!