Robbie Lawson Re-Press

Guest lotusland

You sir, are beginning to sound like what we in the UK refer to as a "Merchant Banker" :hatsoff2:

This is what you said this morning:

"Paul got a few from his ex-wife last year. He and I had hatched a plan (that worked!) to get them from her. They are real, but all this doubt to their authenticity was all too much headache for him or I to deal with. Paul is not a poor or desperate man, and I really don't see him A) needing to pass off fake represses as real for money B) Doing such a good job if he did (!) C) making 8 copies. There has been no flood of these (pictured) copies around to suggest otherwise. "

Now you're saying "Hey don't have a go at me, blame Paul" when you've been on here bleating about "plans" and the records being "real" etc. when clearly they are not!

Wise up fella.

First off, i'm not associated with that company of Paul's that was mentioned.

Steve, you have to understand, I was in Milwaukee and Paul was in New Jersey. He told me that his ex had 25 copies in her attic but that their relationship wasn't very great. I coached him on how to handle the situation and a few months later he called me back and said it worked and that he got 7-8 copies in various conditions from her. I really don't want to harp on and on about this but Paul TOLD me they were real. I had no reason to doubt him. So either they are real or Paul lied to me. I guess I shouldn't have said for sure that I knew they were real but that that being said no one has really PROVEN that they are not yet. I have no financial stake in this whatsoever, just trying to clear it up. As stated 2x already, as soon as the waters got murky I backed away - leaving the one and only buyer that I hooked up with Paul to deal with him directly (they were cool with this).

Any other questions feel free to fire away, I have absolutely nothing to hide here. I would like to think that Paul didn't blatantly lie to me , but cannot really say at this point. Also, please leave name calling out of this. I am trying to put in what I know about this situation for the greater good and I will try to be more objective than I was being in my previous post from here on out. Thanks

Social source share

• Replies 88
  • Views 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest gordon russell

First off, i'm not associated with that company of Paul's that was mentioned.

Steve, you have to understand, I was in Milwaukee and Paul was in New Jersey. He told me that his ex had 25 copies in her attic but that their relationship wasn't very great. I coached him on how to handle the situation and a few months later he called me back and said it worked and that he got 7-8 copies in various conditions from her. I really don't want to harp on and on about this but Paul TOLD me they were real. I had no reason to doubt him. So either they are real or Paul lied to me. I guess I shouldn't have said for sure that I knew they were real but that that being said no one has really PROVEN that they are not yet. I have no financial stake in this whatsoever, just trying to clear it up. As stated 2x already, as soon as the waters got murky I backed away - leaving the one and only buyer that I hooked up with Paul to deal with him directly (they were cool with this).

Any other questions feel free to fire away, I have absolutely nothing to hide here. I would like to think that Paul didn't blatantly lie to me , but cannot really say at this point. Also, please leave name calling out of this. I am trying to put in what I know about this situation for the greater good and I will try to be more objective than I was being in my previous post from here on out. Thanks

this is known in England as..phillybustering...(bin down the pub)....or if you're at a nighter with joan.....talking boll*x lolbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest lotusland

I have to say if it was my name that was at risk of being tarred by this fiasco I would certainly be asking questions with more urgency than you appear to be doing.

The UK buyers (whom I didn't even know existed) dealt with Paul directly, I wasn't involved in that in any way. I'm sure they can corroborate. They contacted him.

I helped Paul sell exactly one copy of this (with zero commission on the deal), as he came to me and asked if I knew any buyers for them, before hitting the brakes. That was to a good friend from the USA. What questions would you like me to ask (presumably to Paul)? I will try and help in any way i can, but I already asked Paul if they were real and he said yes. Whether this is true or not, that seems like his final answer.

I am trying to help with info here, but please don't mistake me for Paul's business partner. I had nothing to do with any sales apart from the one to my friend, and we are all good on that now.

Thnx

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The UK buyers (whom I didn't even know existed) dealt with Paul directly, I wasn't involved in that in any way. I'm sure they can corroborate. They contacted him.

I helped Paul sell exactly one copy of this (with zero commission on the deal), as he came to me and asked if I knew any buyers for them, before hitting the brakes. That was to a good friend from the USA. What questions would you like me to ask (presumably to Paul)? I will try and help in any way i can, but I already asked Paul if they were real and he said yes. Whether this is true or not, that seems like his final answer.

I am trying to help with info here, but please don't mistake me for Paul's business partner. I had nothing to do with any sales apart from the one to my friend, and we are all good on that now.

Thnx

Wheres ....johns cash?......not to difficult l hopeangry.gif

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Wheres ....johns cash?......not to difficult l hopeangry.gif

I didn't have anything to do with any deals except the one copy to the USA. If you bought from him, you obviously have contact details for him. Has he been contacted and is not communicating?

If so, PM me details and I will call him to address the dilemma. Again, though, I had zero to do with your deal with Mr Kyser as I'm sure you can confirm. Thanks.

Social source share

He has done it, he admitted it and gave the guy his money back! Unless Phil is making it up - and why would he do that?

He has "repaid" me. Even though the records i sent him back via International Recorded apparently never arrived. He insists that the ones he sold me were the originals and the other ones from the 60's were the bootlegs. rolleyes.gif

They are very good repro's (see photo). The only difference is the run out groove is different size

I was charged 2 different prices for the two i had. One for a really good copy, one for a copy in not as good shape. The only difference between the two (which were to all intents and purposes brand new) was that one had tea stains on it and looked like it had hoover dust rubbed on it.

Phil

post-3217-12734411267426_thumb.jpg

Edited by phild
Social source share

Thnx

I have dealt with you in the past and we know many of the same people in the states, everyone says your a stand up guy.

The problem was that in the very beginning you put yourself forward as the expert to authenticate the one you were sent. On an item as important as this and exspensive you need to be 110% sure, any misgiving then you need to shout them load and clear. There are lots of guys over here that you know that could of given you more support on this item. You said you knew it was not the same as the pink 70's boot, but that not good enough, if you had never seen an original, then how could you confirm it to be so.

We all get caught out from time to time on things we sell, but authenticating avery rare record, so to start a chain that leads to a sale is a another thing. By confirming that you thought it was original, people then do take your word, as a well know and respected U.S. dealer, and make a purchase based on that.

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

PS, I do also get the feeling that there were some guys over here that did not feel a 100% about the originality of these and chose to stay silent. In a scene as small as ours is, this is not a good thing. As i said before, we all make mistakes, but staying silent when such large amounts are involved is tantamount to collusion.

Social source share

Guest lotusland

I have dealt with you in the past and we know many of the same people in the states, everyone says your a stand up guy.

The problem was that in the very beginning you put yourself forward as the expert to authenticate the one you were sent. On an item as important as this and exspensive you need to be 110% sure, any misgiving then you need to shout them load and clear. There are lots of guys over here that you know that could of given you more support on this item. You said you knew it was not the same as the pink 70's boot, but that not good enough, if you had never seen an original, then how could you confirm it to be so.

We all get caught out from time to time on things we sell, but authenticating avery rare record, so to start a chain that leads to a sale is a another thing. By confirming that you thought it was original, people then do take your word, as a well know and respected U.S. dealer, and make a purchase based on that.

Dave

Dave, you are right. For the record, I didn't sell this (one copy). I just hooked up Paul w/ the buyer. I never saw the money or the record. After my friend (the buyer) received it and was a bit alarmed, he sent it to me to get my thoughts, not because I was 'the expert' per se, but just because I facilitated the transaction. Remember , at this point I had never seen any of the copies in the flesh, I had merely talked w/ Paul on the phone. After receiving it, I sent scans around, and had a couple of prominent US collectors take a look in person , all these folk thought it looked real. This combined with Paul K's word/backstory led to my prognosis that it PROBABLY was real. My friend didn't take my word for it anyways so.. This is important as you need to understand that I didn't sell ONE copy of this record to anyone. After this hassle on the first copy, I decided to detach myself completely from the situation. Any sales/etc on those after that was absolutely based on other buyers (UK it seems) contacting Paul on their own (probably based on that old SS thread), I definitely never told anyone else to go and buy one from him. Too messy.

Social source share

PS, I do also get the feeling that there were some guys over here that did not feel a 100% about the originality of these and chose to stay silent. In a scene as small as ours is, this is not a good thing. As i said before, we all make mistakes, but staying silent when such large amounts are involved is tantamount to collusion.

dave , im sure john and others who paid for this record feel angry and a little embarrassed as we all would ,as you said its alot of money that changed hands , the record in question was shown to certain dealers and collectors here in the uk john had a good idea that it was a forgery he wanted to be a 100% certain so messages were sent to the seller with no reply, one would like to think that he and others have a slim chance of retrieving any money back , 5

Edited by Nidge1
Social source share

Guest Paul

Just for the record, my company represents Paul Kyser's music publishing rights in international territories but I have nothing to do with him making or selling 45s, old or new.

The first I heard about this particular situation was when Phil Dick told me he had bought "original" copies and later suspected something was wrong. Phil's label, Soul Intention, is a licensee of Paul Kyser so he was obviously in an awkward position at the time but I think it has been sorted out.

I hope everyone is able to resolve issues.

Social source share

I hope everyone is able to resolve issues.

Moral to the story is simple, don't deal with Paul Kyser.

Even the "ageing process" on this - tea stains and hoover dust isn't that good.

Next he'll be telling you he has some great unissued stuff and you'll all be chasing his tail again.....laugh.gif

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Next he'll be telling you he has some great unissued stuff and you'll all be chasing his tail again.....:laugh:

I have licensed some great unissued stuff from him already.

That was part of how he "refunded" me.

Phil

Social source share

Guest ruppy

Very interesting this topic,if anyone has purchased a new look a like please bring it to Lifeline or any other major Allnighter,compare it to my old copy l have had for sometime,and we will compare the two ,impossible these days to press so called original records of the 60,s the paper the ink for starters is just not there,

l personally have never seen a mint copy of this scarce 45 most including mine are VG to excellent grade,

best

Mick H

Social source share

Anyone else think this is an overrated mess of a record? Terrible muddy production, no tune, great sax break but does nothing for me, never did.

Me biggrin.gif

Social source share

cheap as well was it not sean. from the early days of ebay?

dave

S'right Dave.

Very early days of eBay, a dealer, who's store I'd visited only months before, listed it as "I HAVE SEARCHED" on a ten dollar 'Buy It Now'.

I've had better records off the guy (like Pete & Ken, its not really my cup of tea either) but for 10 dollars, I guess it was worth having.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

S'right Dave.

Very early days of eBay, a dealer, who's store I'd visited only months before, listed it as "I HAVE SEARCHED" on a ten dollar 'Buy It Now'.

I've had better records off the guy (like Pete & Ken, its not really my cup of tea either) but for 10 dollars, I guess it was worth having.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Should have had sharper eyes when ya were there mate, bet ya were right pissed off spending on the postage :laugh:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Yep - cheeky sod charged me 15 Bucks!

Was gonna negotiate, but thought better of it.

:laugh:

Sean

PS: CD's in Post Dave thumbsup.gif

I'd have pulled out the deal, wouldn't want dealer thinking he's mugged me on the postage :rolleyes:

Right O mate, look forward to postie coming.

:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Paul

Next he'll be telling you he has some great unissued stuff and you'll all be chasing his tail again.....laugh.gif

Hello Steve,

All I can say is that Paul Kyser has been okay with me.

Millbrand obtained EU rights to his catalogues more than a year ago. We had copyright disputes with Sugar Hill Music (Joe Robinson Jr) and their sub-publishers but everything has been resolved in our favour.

As for previously unissued stuff, we've already seen three such tracks on the Jimmy Briscoe album The Flame Still Burns (Soulscape) and a great single by The Superlatives on Soul Intention. And there's more to come.

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Guest Paul

Anyone else think this is an overrated mess of a record? Terrible muddy production, no tune, great sax break but does nothing for me, never did.

I agree with you, Pete.

I prefer the flip side.

Social source share

Had another email from Paul over the weekend.

Yes Robbie Lawson still sing. He sings gospel music. Catamount Records was

started by Stan Krause one of his first albums he put out was by a group

called The Royal Counts and 2 songs on the album I wrote when I was 15 years

old. the songs were Made Up My Mind, and The Time. I didn't get credit for

writing the songs on the album because The Group never told Stan that I

wrote the songs until the album was out. Stan gave me one check for $29.00 .

A couple of years later I partnered up with Stan and I produced the Superbs

song Love's Unpredictable.Then I went out on my own. I also wrote I Still

Love You by the Superlatives.You probably know that I wrote and produced

all of Jimmy Briscoe and the Little Beavers songs also the Soul Generations.

I also wrote Hypertention by Calendar.I also wrote and produced Rhyze albums

plus a lote more. You probably already know that.. Yes I still have some old

songs never released but I have to bake the tape and some are really

damaged. I kept Robby Lawsons masters in a vault when I realized how

valubale they were. I might have one or 2 things on robby Lawson and I would

have to look for them. I own 98% of my songs and masters because I released

everything on my own labels.

Paul Kyser

Social source share

Had another email from Paul over the weekend.

Yes Robbie Lawson still sing. He sings gospel music. Catamount Records was

started by Stan Krause one of his first albums he put out was by a group

called The Royal Counts and 2 songs on the album I wrote when I was 15 years

old. the songs were Made Up My Mind, and The Time. I didn't get credit for

writing the songs on the album because The Group never told Stan that I

wrote the songs until the album was out. Stan gave me one check for $29.00 .

A couple of years later I partnered up with Stan and I produced the Superbs

song Love's Unpredictable.Then I went out on my own. I also wrote I Still

Love You by the Superlatives.You probably know that I wrote and produced

all of Jimmy Briscoe and the Little Beavers songs also the Soul Generations.

I also wrote Hypertention by Calendar.I also wrote and produced Rhyze albums

plus a lote more. You probably already know that.. Yes I still have some old

songs never released but I have to bake the tape and some are really

damaged. I kept Robby Lawsons masters in a vault when I realized how

valubale they were. I might have one or 2 things on robby Lawson and I would

have to look for them. I own 98% of my songs and masters because I released

everything on my own labels.

Paul Kyser

That's no help! :thumbsup:

Have you asked him about not repaying people their money?

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

That's no help! :thumbsup:

Have you asked him about not repaying people their money?

Joan, I don't know anything about money don't really want to, and reading the thread it's seems it's been repaid or am I missing things here, if they dealt with Paul, why arn't they contacting him, he's easy enough to find through google that's how I found him.

Social source share

Joan, I don't know anything about money don't really want to, and reading the thread it's seems it's been repaid or am I missing things here, if they dealt with Paul, why arn't they contacting him, he's easy enough to find through google that's how I found him.

hes been ignoring emails from at least one the guy on here who he sold the boot to (sorry second issue) he owes him 1490$

Social source share

We got matrix info from someone in UK and it seemed to match up.

If that was me, (I'm not sure who I'm talking to), then that's not true. I confirmed to 2 US collectors that the matrix wasn't 100%. I also warned Phil D when he contacted me that there was a risk involved in buying any RL's from Paul Kyser due to it being offered to a number of US collectors who had their alarm bells ringing.

Blatant scam.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Bugger me Pete that's two things we agree on in two days mate, if ever there was an example of a bad record it's this one, never liked it and I don't care how rare it is.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Bugger me Pete that's two things we agree on in two days mate, if ever there was an example of a bad record it's this one, never liked it and I don't care how rare it is.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

its rare mark cos' no one had the bad taste to buy it!!!

Social source share

Yes you are missing something Mark.

He still owes John his money .

As for contacting him direct, he has done that but gets blanked for his trouble.

Seeings as you have an open line with Paul can't you ask him to come on here and answer peoples questions?

I am sure you will have told him what people are saying on here.

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!