Dan Yessian 45

Does anyone have any information on this 45 on Sound Patterns the Detroit label.

It is listed on the label as the Theme fom "Aint no love" and as being by the Dan Yessian Quintet.

It is from the movie Aint No Love ???

the catalogue number is SP 9018 although in the dead wax this is crossed out and 9019 written, I thought these catalogue numbers were used for Sidra releases. Although the Doni Burdick releases on Sound Patterns have similar numbers.

the really interesting thing about this instrumental with a femme chorus is that it is the backing track to the unreleased Precisions track "Send me a Sign" that was put out by Joeboy on the CD Northern Soul years2 - Heartbroken Memories. Although the Precisions version is top quality Northern Soul, the instrumental is not in the Premier league of Northern instrumentals, pretty though it is.

I have never seen this 45 listed in 30 years of collecting Northern Soul and wonder whether anyone else has come across it? And whose Dan Yessian? In these days of collector frenzy anyone hazard a value?

The other side is a poor jazz thing called Runaway and is the "official" A side

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

• 2 years later...

hi

i've just been going thru some old 45's trying to find something interesting to play at steam on saturday and came across this 45. i decided to look into it and google got me to this thread!

anyone ever played it out before? got it etc?

i'm not sure if i will play it out yet but might stick it in the box.

i'll try on post a sound clip up

thanks in advance

cheers

phil

Social source share

I think I've seen a indie label 45 with him and Ronnie McNeir from 1987 - anyone got any info on that release?

Yeah it's on a blue label and has Detroit in the title - got it somewhere in the "lock up" - quite good without being outstanding as I recall.

Social source share

• 4 years later...
Guest SoulManJan

Hi yawl,

Yes I bought this track on Sound Patterns too. It is by Dan Yessian and I think his brother did the arrangement. They are a musical family more into jazz as far as i know and someone told me that Mr. Yessian runs a music school and music production facility in Michigan still. The song was used by The Precisions and lead on that unreleased track called "Send Me A Sign" was supposed to be by their choreographer. I think its a great tune and I'll try to attach the song and a picture of The Dan Yessian Quintet.

If this got regular plays it would be a popular tune I'm sure!post-11982-0-25076300-1315325111_thumb.jDan Yessian - Ain't No Love (Sound Patterns).mp3

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!