Morecambe - 80s Allnighters

Just updated an old forum topic for your viewing pleasure Chalky !

Please merge mods if that ok 

i keep saying it...

if you want mods to act on ought then use the report link - top right of every forum post

if you do  use it then straight away all of the forum mod people are informed that you have reported and what your concerns/requests are

otherwise a good chance of delays or non-action simply as not aware

cheers

mike :thumbsup:

Edited by mike
Social source share

i keep saying it...

if you want mods to act on ought then use the report link - top right of every forum post

if you do  use it then straight away all of the forum mod people are informed that you have reported and what your concerns/requests are

otherwise a good chance of delays or non-action simply as not aware

cheers

mike :thumbsup:

two threads merged and re-titled as requested - as its says best use the 'report' feature for all mod requests

Social source share

Richard DJ'd early playing mainly new releases then went home and the nighter became straight northern. The beat ballad thing was the latest envelope stretching reinvention at the time. Meanwhile in the front [nearer the shore] smaller room the playlist was oldies only. Seems like a very very long time ago on a galaxy far away.

dean

Dean, what big modern tunes do you remember from Morecambe? Pretty much what you would have heard at say Stafford around the same time or different?

Social source share

Just spoke to Shaun .He held his first nighter at the pier April 83 Shortly after the 3rd anniversary it was closed by the city council due to damage to decking on the pier caused by scooter boys jumping up and down on the pier in the queue to get in . 2 or 3 planks cracked which could have easily been repaired but the council wouldn't have it . Weeks later it burnt down . 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember the 1983 scooter rallie in Morecombe. (Norwich Broadsmen scooter club)

The Allnighter was on the Pier.

The Pier decking  had sections coned off as gaping holes were open to the sea below. 

We queued along side these gaping holes in the decking waiting to get into the nighter . Great days.

regards Frank   

Social source share

Dean, what big modern tunes do you remember from Morecambe? Pretty much what you would have heard at say Stafford around the same time or different?

I barely remember anything apart from the smell of the fish van we used to hire [cheaply] to get there but new major releases from willie collins and chapter 8 maybe indie stuff like gerald mallory?

dean.

Social source share

I never did Morecambe pier so can't respond directly, but doesn't anyone have the Echoes cutting with a Pier playlist?  I would love to see that again.  Not sure whether is was a Pier playlist, or specifically a Dickie one, but it certainly wasn't all modern.  I do remember for example a cut from one of Johnny Gill's Cotillion albums on that playlist, so I'm sure some Dickie tunes would be on there.

As I say, I would love to see it again.  It might be amongst cuttings in my loft but if it is it ain't gonna see the light of day anytime soon!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I never did Morecambe pier so can't respond directly, but doesn't anyone have the Echoes cutting with a Pier playlist?  I would love to see that again.  Not sure whether is was a Pier playlist, or specifically a Dickie one, but it certainly wasn't all modern.  I do remember for example a cut from one of Johnny Gill's Cotillion albums on that playlist, so I'm sure some Dickie tunes would be on there.

As I say, I would love to see it again.  It might be amongst cuttings in my loft but if it is it ain't gonna see the light of day anytime soon!!

Cheers,

Mark R

The Johnny Gill record would be 'Can't Wait Till Tomorrow' it got played a lot as a new release. 

Social source share

Cheers,

Mark R

johnny gill - cant wait till tomorrow, khemistry - can you feel my love , chapter 8 - its my turn , alexander o neil - whats missing, collins and collins - top of the stairs, garfield fleming - please dont send me away, howard johnson - keeping love new, glen jones - iam somebody, jean carne - sweet and wonderful, keni burke - let somebody love you, joe anderson - you and i .. were all big plays modern wise at morecambe not saying the were played there 1st but were played often and went down well

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember these as popular modern tunes at Morecambe especially lenny welch-you picked a fine time and randy brown mood as said before being big records, bunny sigler music ,pir clean up the ghetto, daybreak need love, ike strong keep dancing, Searling? playin all the luther vandross,s on promos a long time before it went chartwise, bobby boyd lp track, anacosta what kind of love, garland green quit running, jean carne if you wana go back, lew kirton/ skip mahony/ Jackie moore/ rick james fool on the st, happy days. cheers chris

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Richard Searling was playing the new releases wherever he was DJing (as were other Modern DJ's), Clifton Hall, Stafford, Morecambe etc.  He was certainly doing his Hallam Soul Show and heading straight to Stafford armed with the new releases of the week so I assume it would have been the same for the other venues he was involved with.

Going out with Shaun Gibbons on Saturday night ,so will get some of his stories to post on here 

any stories from Shaun?

Social source share

Shaun  told me about the time he booked Gene chandler .He said he was in the starlight room adjusting the black out curtains that probably hadn't been cleaned for 40 years when a group of men came over to him Shaun came down his ladder covered in 40 years of dust and asked if he could help ? One of the guys  introduced himself as Genes manage .Shaun asked where's Gene ? To which bloke replied  he's stood next to you ! Gene asked Shaun " What's my biggest record on the soul scene ? " to which Shaun replied "probably ,There  was a time . That night Gene played all his other songs and at the end of his performance asked the crowd " are there any other songs you want ?" To which the crowd started to chant  ,There was a time ,There  was a time .To which Gene turned to the band and asked  " we didn't rehurse that one " Then turned round to a disappointed audience  and sang " One two three four " The place went mental .

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Shaun  told me about the time he booked Gene chandler .He said he was in the starlight room adjusting the black out curtains that probably hadn't been cleaned for 40 years when a group of men came over to him Shaun came down his ladder covered in 40 years of dust and asked if he could help ? One of the guys  introduced himself as Genes manage .Shaun asked where's Gene ? To which bloke replied  he's stood next to you ! Gene asked Shaun " What's my biggest record on the soul scene ? " to which Shaun replied "probably ,There  was a time . That night Gene played all his other songs and at the end of his performance asked the crowd " are there any other songs you want ?" To which the crowd started to chant  ,There was a time ,There  was a time .To which Gene turned to the band and asked  " we didn't rehurse that one " Then turned round to a disappointed audience  and sang " One two three four " The place went mental .

Nice story mate.

I've mentioned this a few times on different threads:sleep3::D

But, I know a geezer from Nottingham who was Gene's on tour drummer.

Social source share

He also told me how he got the Pier very cheap by back handing the manager who told the owners that the soul nights were very quiet badly attended events .One night the owners made a suprise visit to see what a soul alnighter was all about  ? And walked into  a heaving mass of sweaty bodies The owners pulled the manager over and  asked  " you said these events were badly attended ! To which he replied " up until the last two they were . They have only just started take off  !!"  Needles to say the rental went up after that .

Social source share

Local lad did a Morecambe CD about a year ago .Very well made including big pier plays , Moody and the Deltas covered as Sam Cook , Jerry Naylor , City lights .Johnnie Taylor ,Oh how I love you .Covered as Joe Tex ,Ruby Lee, I believe in you Covered as Marie Knight All these things you said . Art gentry Merrygoround , Al and  Jet ,Nothing to hide , Stairways Don't you care .Covered as Dave Mitchell and the screamers , Lamont Cranston band , Takin a chance ,covered as Williams and watson .lillian Halle The signs were wrong .Soul bros. inc Pyramid .Clevland Robinson Love is a trap . Avengers reflections Covered as Frozen images ,Man in the mirror Bluejays Points of view and lots more 

Social source share

hey gaz great stories morecambe pier great times some fantastic tunes played at the pier ask sean if he is still in touch with marc farley great lad cheers mark

yeh he is Mark was talking to Marc at shaun mums funeral has changed one bit great lad always up on his new release stuff. Always used to play Mel Carter love test one of his discoveries 

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!