Boomerang 15Th May

Massive thanks to Karen & Maria for a sensational night at the Tavern last night. Butch was in euro mode & if you've any doubt what that means let me expand, think of any of the great classics of any era & then think back to what it was like to hear them for the first time, well last nights crowd were treated to 2 sets of mainly unknown /little played gems that were in that category. Great to see friends from all points of the compass & heartening to watch people like Ron Pedley still getting excited about these records. Think for me this was the best night so far at Thorne and lots to look forward to with August guests Soul Sam & Berlins Marc Forrest hitting the decks, cheers. Here's what i played last night, cheers, Arthur.

set 1

Albert Jones - Fifteen Cent Love [Kapp]

Nathan Williams - What Price [united Artists]

Frank Dell - He Broke Your Game Wide Open [Valise]

The T.S.U. Toronadoes - A Thosand Wonders [Ovide]

The Volumes - I've Never Been So In Love [Garu]

David Peoples - Got To Get My Broom Out [saru]

Mickey & Ernie - Baby I'm In Love [Hot Line Music Journal]

Total Warmth - Talkin' About Love [C/U]

The Exportations - People Might Say [C/U]

Kae Williams - "Our Love Is Dying" [GM - Unissued]

The Honey Bees - Let's Get Back Together [Garrison]

Ronnie Walker - On and On [impact]

Vanguards - "Good Times Bad Times" [Lamp]

Esther Grant - Here I Am [unissued C/U]

Larry Hobson - Say What's On Your Mind [C/U]

The Saints - I'll Let You Slide [Wigwam]

Flame 'n' King - Open Up Your Eyes [C/U]

Bill Spoon - "I Can't Wait (Until The Weekend) [soul Junction]

Arthur Foy - Love Dreams [MCS]

Life - "Liason" [A.L.C.]

Faye Hill and the Hill Sisters - Gonna Get Even [blue Dolphin]

Rhythm Machine - Put A Smile On Time [Lulu]

Set 2

Donald Thomas - Calling Me Home [PMRC]

Wally Coco - Message To Society - Part 1 [Florentine]

Wee - Try Me [Owl]

The Nu-Rons - All Of My Life [Nu-Ron]

Soul Incorporated - My Proposal [Coconut Groove]

Bobby Rich - There's A Girl Somewhere [sambea]

Jessie James - Are You Gonna Leave Me [shirley]

Patrinell Staten - Little Love Affair [sepia]

Ice - "Reality" [ice]

The Hamilton Movement - She's Gone [Look-Out]

LaRom Baker - You're the Best Thing [The Record Company]

• Replies 20
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well done to Maria and Karen, got to agree with Arthur the best one yet and the music was fantastic. Butch was outstanding IMO, two sets of superb soul music. The other DJ's weren't bad either :D:yes:

And the beer, Yorkshire Heck, first time I've tried that and it was great, suffering for it today though :g::yes: Recommend it to anyone if you can try one :ohmy:

As above one of the best nights they have had, musically it was a cool night with the music flowing with ease, from 60's through crossover to the more funky 70's. Dj's a like played well off each others sets and the flow from one set to the next was near seamless, but still with each DJ having a clear style of their own, well done guys.

Butch was on blistering form, for me one of the best group of sets he has put together in the UK in the last year, playing with no constraints and it was easy to see he was enjoying himself.

Maria also really exuded the fun she was having on the decks and played a blinding set. Arthur as his playist above shows played sets that were dynamic, exciting and a joy to hear.

New rare soul is alive and well at Boomerang and has an audience that enjoys, dances and is supportive of the dj's.

Karen and Maria have worked so hard with this venue and last night it paid off in spades, with people from each end of the counrty there to enjoy themselves. Good numbers through the door, all round top night.

Nice breakfast as well,

Thanks Guys

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Guest Byrney

Well that was a little bit good wasn't it!

One of the best nights musically for me in years, recall Chuddy and me having a conversation last night about just how good this was. My girlfriend Wendy came along as a soul event novice. Her scene is salsa / latin but she was blown away by the quality of the music, the friendliness of the people and the party vibe - a Boomerang convert.

Also managed to raise £90 for shelter - thanks so much to the boomerang crowd for their donations and Marcelle (you star) for shaking the bucket with me in tow. Not forgetting Karen and Maria for allowing me to harrang everyone.

Just a final mention re digs - the Thorn Central Guest House. Top marks, cheap, clean, cracking brekkie and a stagger away from the venue. The owners were there last night too. Definate base now for our Boomerang visits.

Seriously, last night was a bit special.

The previous posters have beaten me to it. In my opinion it was the best Boomerang I've been to so far. Everything seemed to click into place. The atmosphere was one of anticipation and excitement; the people attending were really up for it; and the music was brilliant. Thanks to all concerned.

As above one of the best nights they have had, musically it was a cool night with the music flowing with ease, from 60's through crossover to the more funky 70's. Dj's a like played well off each others sets and the flow from one set to the next was near seamless, but still with each DJ having a clear style of their own, well done guys.

Butch was on blistering form, for me one of the best group of sets he has put together in the UK in the last year, playing with no constraints and it was easy to see he was enjoying himself.

Maria also really exuded the fun she was having on the decks and played a blinding set. Arthur as his playist above shows played sets that were dynamic, exciting and a joy to hear.

New rare soul is alive and well at Boomerang and has an audience that enjoys, dances and is supportive of the dj's.

Karen and Maria have worked so hard with this venue and last night it paid off in spades, with people from each end of the counrty there to enjoy themselves. Good numbers through the door, all round top night.

Nice breakfast as well,

Thanks Guys

Dave

Correct on all counts dave ( apart frm the breakfast) i had cornflakes and the big fight live.. lots of off duty dj's and vinyl addicts in the house who can be tricky to keep happy - but without a doubt all set off home happy. every now and then mark reminds us all who the gaffer is and quite rightly so ! made up for the 2 lovely ladies ,karen and mrs boomerang !

What a fabulous, fabulous night! It was like being in my 20's all over again, when every night out kept me on the dancefloor hearing tune after tune after tune that I didn't know, and wanted to get to know.

Thank you Karen and Maria for continuing to organise your special party nights - and an extra special thank you for making a fuss of me wink.gif

While walking back to the Thorne Guest House I said to Geoff Green and Dave Fleming that I thought that was the best night at Boomerang I've been to....so it is good to see that others think the same.

Thank you to Karen and Maria for all your hard work.

See you in August for the alldayer.

Been thinking how much I'd like to do last night again ... but in slow motion :thumbsup:

Thank you to everyone who shared the party. Loved the smiles and atmosphere - and our guest DJs were both superb. The staff kindly let Butch go overtime, so we were seriously spoilt rotten with near 3 hours of his sounds. Yes, it was a special night (if I'm allowed to say that) and quite a few said it was the best night we've had.

Here's what I think I ended up playing whilst the guest DJ's took a break:

Ronnie West - Lil' Woman (Goins)

Purple Mundi - Stop Hurting Me Baby (Cat)

Eula Cooper - Try (Tragar)

Holidays - Without Your Sweet Love (Top Dog C/U)

The Precious Three - I Need A Man (Ref-O-Ree)

Cookie Scott & the Chevelles - I Don't Care (What The People Say) (Orr)

Gladys Knight & The Pips - No One Could Love You More (Tamla Motown)

Spider Turner - I've Got To Get Myself Together (Before I Lose My Mind) (Good Time)

Nate Evans - Main Squeeze (Twinight)

The Informers - Baby, Set Me Free (Blackjack)

Ernie Johnson - I Can't Stop the Pain (Artco)

Guy Allen - Changes (Allen Bros.)

The Side Show - "Lonely Girl" (Trey)

- then a bit later......

Marshall, Donovan, Broomfield - Since I Found My Baby (Augusta)

Ujima - I'm Not Ready (Epic)

Second Re$surrection - You Done Let Daylight Catch You (Stanson)

The H. Andrews Congregation - Stop! Leave Me Alone (Balance)

Betty Wilson and The 4 Bars - I'm Yours (Dayco)

Out Of Sights - For The Rest Of My Life (Saru)

The Emulations - These Are The Things (Emulate)

Natural Impulse - She Went Away (Natural Impulse)

Flowers - For Real (Laxpressio)

Love, Peace & Happiness - Strip Me Naked (RCA)

Karmello Brooks - Tell Me, Baby (Milestone)

Ms. m

ps. Message from the Boomerang Lost Property Dept :

Girls, if you're missing a cardigan - please PM Karen with description. If you're missing a black jacket, please PM me with a description.

What a breaath of fresh air. Needed a night like this to keep my faith regarding the future of our scene. I would say i didnt know 70% of Marks spot, but thats what i want when i go out, i want to ask questions about the record, just like we all did when we first started. The others played by Mark which i knew were all rarely played records, ie HANK HODGE, ROY ROBERTS etc. All in all a top night, a great crowd , good atmosphere and the no1 dj in the UK.

wow!....what a great night that was.....this place all has the winning ingredients without a doubt. The place was full of people really up for a good time and they certainly got it. All the DJ's performed on the night with great sets......that music was proper....oh yeah!

big kisses to the ladies that organise this xx

Twas the night after Friday the fourteenth, set adrift by the fairy godmother Karen the soul fairies (Butch, Arthur and Maria) fluttered freely above Thorne, fluttering their dainty wings, trying to stop their tutu's from getting dirty from the Thorne smog and set about their tasks, sprinkling some magic soul dust over Thorne, and by f**k did it work!

What a night, best night*** out since the Lifeline night with double header of the terrible twins Mr Heard and Mr Santucci, had the same oomph from the minute we walked in, three dj's totally at top of their game (can't believe I am saying that about a burd, my reputation up here will be shot) and confident in their taste and records, just as it should be. We had Arthur and Maria jousting for top dj in Selby title led admirably by Butch, he really is so far ahead of the game at do's like this he is frightening. Great crowd too, as Mr Challoner, one of the three wise very old men (Cliff, Trev and Val obviously) said, what a great receptive crowd, although for me in many ways this night was as much about who wasn't there, no tempo terrorists storming out in the huff because someone played one record below 195 bpm, no-one stomping their feet in disgust due to a record not meeting their narrow as tram line tastes, just lots of dance fans who want it with 100% soul and like it with attitude, I totally loved this evening, had my juices flowing all the way home next day (well that and Chuddlingtons top breakfast) its what its all about for me, its not for everyone and I am not saying everyone should like this, but for me this was understanding the Northern Soul ethos as I knew it back it in the day, twisting it slightly and kicking us sharply up the ass with it! Fantastic night.

** Okay I know I haven't been out much in recent times so maybe missed some similar nights, but lets not drag this into that, lets just savour it as a top top night.

**** Record of the night, Love Peace and Happiness, just proper music!

Edited by jocko
Guest karen b

THANK YOU to all those who came to our little do and shared what I consider

was a very special night.yes.gif

Byrney, thank you for letting me wear your London Marathon medal, I was surprised

however that 4 people actually congratulated ME on my achievementshades.gif and glad you

got a little more for SHELTER, seeing Wendy put Colin through some salsa moves

by the bar will stay burnt in my memory!!!laugh.gif

I totally agree with Maria that I would happily love the chance to do it all again in slow

motion, yes.gif

from the moment I was dragged out to the car park by Paul, (soul shrew, Amsterdam)

to get my gift he had bought for me, and there was MANDY hidden on the back seat!!!wub.gif

(spent many a night at Yate together, and can't remember any of themblink.giflol)

Not only that but two very lovely 7's one, Paul spent some time sourcing.blush.gif

Thank you to our guest DJs, Arthur your playlist speaks volumes, no need for me

to add anything,thumbsup.gif

and to Butch, so many I want to hear again, Arthur, Chuddy, Paco and Dave Ripp, you were

all right, 3rd eye, woweeee hatsoff2.gif

and to my co promoter Maria O, thank you for your uncompromising constant strive to

deliver all we do in the very best way we can.yes.gif Great playlist by the way.x

Love Karen xxxxx (thanks to Pete too)xxxxx

I think everything has already been said. Anyway both Gilly and I had a lovely time.

Too many friends to mention but it was good to see you all.

So many fantastic tunes and too many for me mention without doing a long list - Well done to Mark, Arthur, Maria and of course the lovely Karen.

I am sure we will be back.

Ps - Jock, Love Peace and Happiness did sound good didn't it.

Edited by Nicola

Can only reiterate whats come before really

Had a fantastic night dancing to a load of class tunes the vast majority I'd never heard before but would really love to hear again

Nice to meet some fellow soul sourcerers

A great crowd decent sound system nice floor and terrific tunes.........couldn't have asked for more (well maybe some decent German beer)

So :hatsoff2::hatsoff2:to Karen and Maria you da best

Cheers Paul (+Mandy)

hatsoff2.gifDOBBO DAB'S DONNY LIKE IT'S NEVER BEEN DABBED BEFORE AT THE TAVERN OF TUNES. hatsoff2.gif

shades.gifOh where to start?? Well you know sometimes you get that inkling that it's gonna be a good night, well thats what I had on Saturday, I think it was the weather & the fact that from 7pm our house was awash with Beer,Wine & good friends ready for a blow out,beer.gif don't forget it's been a while since the last one & Gail & I, Chalky & Kerry, Kenny, Kev & Pauline plus our Dingly Dell duo of Col & Shirl with Dj Gibby Gibb were chomping at the bit & well up for it, so the Sharabang of Soul was ready to go at exactly 8,well almost after last minute lady p's as always,why do they do that??g.gif

There were plenty of cars etc already there upon our arrival & the bar area & dining area were full, so "Hello" to Marcelle on the way in & also Chris in the bar, a quick purchase of libations & through to pay homage to Door Tax Doyenne & the Selby Surveyor of Soul, Karen & Maria, thanks for the prezzie you lovely peoplewub.gif , we parked our bottoms in the usual area, like we were in a Labour club,you know, "Thats my table, we always sit there, we've sat there for the last 25 years you know",Quick chat with Karl "Professional Removal Man" Heard then Kirsty & Mike arrived & Kirsty did what all you girls do, disappeared to the loo while Mike wandered around searching for her with the drinks, Martin (R.B. Man) & Geoff settle into the dark corner & we together with Gary & Clair,Steve LeAir,Tony & Tracy, Stevo & Sharon,Patto,Ronny, Ian & Deb fill the the side up, Dave & Donna made a rare (Not in future) foray out of Skeg Vegas to join us, as did Mick & Brigitte, also good to see Nicola & Gilly as ever & Neil Rushton & Marie spreading the Newquay word & Steve Woomble spreading the Modern word for Brigg & Mick Bennett doing the same for Bishopthorpe, also good to see Dave Box with Val & friends relaxing for once & having a jig plus Paul & Sue with the Donny crew who love the upfront venues and rarely seen out lately Paul & Scunny Sue, finally Lincolns Livewire Chris Dalton, always a pleasure.thumbsup.gif

Music music everywhere & what a lovely treat,from the first tune I heard Maria playing to the last one at nights end, you just couldn't fault any of them (Just check the playlist's) but Mr Dobson was smoking,he was on fire & whilst stood with Col Wood,Mouse & Andy D putting the world & the scene to rights,we still all having one ear cocked listening to Mr Dobsons first set, we stopped rabbiting & Andy said,"This is why he's the best,listen", never a truer word spoken, I've heard him play at numerous venues on 100's of nights but this night without a shadow of a doubt was his finestking.gif , to my ears anyway,so keep up the good work Mark & one day you could make a name for yourself.whistling.gif So amazed & astounded at 1am & full of laughter liquorbeer.gif plus Cheshire Cat grins it's back once more to ours for a swift nightcap & to start crossing off the days to the next Soul Shindig down by the canal & don't forget next time it's 9,yes 9 hours of bliss & beer.So stand up girls & take a bow & wallow in the glory but mainly keep doing what your doing.thumbup.gif

Take care,be safe & remember,"You don't need an address,To find out where we'll be,Cause you can't help hearing the music,Halfway down the street",

Spot. shades.gif

Edited by spot
Guest Derbyshire Bint

Please, please stop saying how good it was!! We had every intention of being there and even sampling the early evening delights of yorkshire pud washed down with lashings of fine ale and plenty of chat. :yes:

That was the plan.... but life has a way of throwing a spanner in the works!!! :sad: A last minute family, had to attend couldn't really get out off, gathering, happened. !! :ohmy:

Well there's always the August one, so fingers crossed.

Vicki