Your One Golden 'five Minutes'

Was in the modern-room at The Queens Hall,Bradford in '91 and was stood on a table with Sue from Chester (modernlass on here) with our arms around each other...The DJ

Barry May(Barry on here) gave us the microphone and we sang along to 'Colour Me' by The Paradise Orchestra......it was actually Paradise :no:

l remember thinking 'God this is the best time l've ever had!'....................and in actual fact it was :D

Wish i could have put in a bottle and then it could be taken three times a day..............FOREVER!! :huh:

What would your defining 5 minutes at a venue be?

Edited by webbydublin
Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Was in the modern-room at The Queens Hall,Bradford in '91 and was stood on a table with Sue from Chester (modernlass on here) with our arms around each other...The DJ

Barry May(Barry on here) gave us the microphone and we sang along to 'Colour Me' by The Paradise Orchestra......it was actually Paradise yes.gif

l remember thinking 'God this is the best time l've ever had!'....................and in actual fact it was yes.gif

Wish i could have put in a bottle and then it could be taken three times a day..............FOREVER!! thumbsup.gif

for me it would have to be chatting to gwen owens a couple of years back at prestatyn, what a lovely lady, surreal!smile.gif

Social source share

Eddie Parker on stage singing Love you Baby ..... I was sat on stage right in front of him singing along and he dropped the mic to my face .... i got to sing a bit of Love You baby with Eddie Parker thumbup.gif it will stay in my memory forever

I got the video and it has the bit where he puts the mic down to me but unfortunatly (or fortunatly) the camara angle doesn't show me :hatsoff2:

post-11139-1274120874309_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Barry May(Barry on here) gave us the microphone and we sang along to 'Colour Me' by The Paradise Orchestra......it was actually Paradise yes.gif

l remember thinking 'God this is the best time l've ever had!'....................and in actual fact it was yes.gif

Wish i could have put in a bottle and then it could be taken three times a day..............FOREVER!! thumbsup.gif

Hi Phil, we had a modern/soulful house night at the Barn on Sat, anyway Sue and Les where there.yes.gif

Sue said when she got there she was staying no later than 4.30am, anyway they left at 6.15am.laugh.gif

Dave.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

My best moment would have to be ....................being introduduced to the voice of ANN Nesby at Prestatyn yes.gif thought id died and gone to heaven what a voice yes.gifyes.gifbiggrin.gif

Have you ever heard Anne Nesby and Al Green sing "Put it on Paper"?

Spine Chilling...had to pop to utoob for aisten.

Social source share

Dance comp, first anniversary at Wigan on the stage, went into a swallow dive, Miss stage straight into the crowd they push me back onto the stage, not realising i broke my buckle on my trousers, and they were down to my ankles still kept dancing, in the end i had to give up when the dance comp finish when it finished i got a bigger hand clap and the person who won it i think every1 were taking the piss great memories billy p.s i would piss the dancing comp if i had my trouser were on

Social source share

Guest miss nancy

Nearly every Saturday night I spent at the Central in Leeds, I remember my 18th particularly, never off the dance floor and finally able to get in without lying about my age. I loved this club, had so many fab nights there.

Social source share

Nearly every Saturday night I spent at the Central in Leeds, I remember my 18th particularly, never off the dance floor and finally able to get in without lying about my age. I loved this club, had so many fab nights there.

Central in Leeds was ok, it was the stairs down that I wasn't too keen on.

Falling down them one night might be the reason.laugh.gif

Social source share

One saturday night at Wigan, a very quiet one after an oldies nighter, I sat next to keith Minshull when he was doing his spot and he more or less let me choose what he played.

He won't remember...

My golden 5 mins while 1 hour really (or 2 depends how you look at it.)

It was at my last ever DJing spot over 25 years ago at Burnley Bank Hall Miners.

I had already sold about 80% of my collection when Pat Allan asked me to do a swansong.

Dave Comer and Dave Fergie keep on to me to do it.

So with the use of Fergie's records I did it.

I was due on before Richard Searling, so I start my set and half way though Pat tells me Richard can not make it can I do 2 hours.

Which I did, it felt good because the dance floor was busy the whole time, and the ex-Legion lads turned out to surport me.

Also Pat Brady give me a good write up in Echoes.thumbsup.gif

Dave.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Guest miss nancy

Central in Leeds was ok, it was the stairs down that I wasn't too keen on.

Falling down them one night might be the reason.laugh.gif

Fell up them a few times :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest roggert

Barry May(Barry on here) gave us the microphone and we sang along to 'Colour Me' by The Paradise Orchestra......it was actually Paradise :yes:

l remember thinking 'God this is the best time l've ever had!'....................and in actual fact it was :yes:

Wish i could have put in a bottle and then it could be taken three times a day..............FOREVER!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest roggert

i must have been a greedy bastaed as got dragged on stage by tina turner to dance with the ikettes september 1966 aged 15 and got snogged by pp arnold !!!!!!!! 2months later the soul sisters were promoting their new record havin a Good time good time tonightwhen one of them dressed in the tightest silver sequinned dress grabbed my hand and sANG TO ME as though i was the only person in the world!!! its strange cos most of the popular records i heard a few years later were selling for big money yet i had seen the original artistes only a little while earlier. must be a generation gap cos i was spending around 35 pence an allniter watching rufus thomas ,vibrating vibrations . drifters and ben e king on the same allnighter and around 30 others top names i used to watch people like rod stewart in backing bands on a sunday nighT.ONE MOJO niter when stevie wonder and a 12 piece orchestra were shoved onto the tiny stage at the mojo ---looking up into those dark glasses and watching his eyes roll around at 3 am was scary ,when you have been taking 20 pence worth of mr rikers black bombers at 1 and a half pence each!!!!!!!!!garnet mimms was also looking for you ==a 35 pence allniter seven shillings and six pence for those who remember pre decimal money,

i saw loads of motown -spent my 17th birthday at the twisted wheel with junior walker playing cleos mood for my 1968 22nd of june birthday a copper stopped us before the start ,near picaddillystation and cos it was ticket only Warned used not to show our tickets "you might get rolled lads by some of the local villains" the price of tickets was 75 pence !!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest welshruss

This is my best 5 minutes - well actually it was half an hour...

My wife and me being alone in a room with Jack Ashford,chatting away about music...then showing Jack a photo of us 2 meeting him and Joe Hunter some years earlier..and seeing the reaction on Jacks face to a picture of Joe ..Like us all,he misses Joe greatly.

Social source share

i must have been a greedy bastaed as got dragged on stage by tina turner to dance with the ikettes september 1966 aged 15 and got snogged by pp arnold !!!!!!!! 2months later the soul sisters were promoting their new record havin a Good time good time tonightwhen one of them dressed in the tightest silver sequinned dress grabbed my hand and sANG TO ME as though i was the only person in the world!!! its strange cos most of the popular records i heard a few years later were selling for big money yet i had seen the original artistes only a little while earlier. must be a generation gap cos i was spending around 35 pence an allniter watching rufus thomas ,vibrating vibrations . drifters and ben e king on the same allnighter and around 30 others top names i used to watch people like rod stewart in backing bands on a sunday nighT.ONE MOJO niter when stevie wonder and a 12 piece orchestra were shoved onto the tiny stage at the mojo ---looking up into those dark glasses and watching his eyes roll around at 3 am was scary ,when you have been taking 20 pence worth of mr rikers black bombers at 1 and a half pence each!!!!!!!!!garnet mimms was also looking for you ==a 35 pence allniter seven shillings and six pence for those who remember pre decimal money,

i saw loads of motown -spent my 17th birthday at the twisted wheel with junior walker playing cleos mood for my 1968 22nd of june birthday a copper stopped us before the start ,near picaddillystation and cos it was ticket only Warned used not to show our tickets "you might get rolled lads by some of the local villains" the price of tickets was 75 pence !!!!!!!!!!

best five mins either the first time i walked on to the balcony at wigan marcch 1976 buzzzin like a beee

or after 30 years away from the scene going down the steps into that dark mystical stageroom at the twisted wheel standing on the edge of the dancefloor and thinking ive not done this for thirty years

little queenie get on that floor spike it was like id never been away buzzin like a beee again but this time without gear

keep on keepin on folks

Social source share

2 years ago walking into the hotel where Abdul Fakir from the Four Tops was staying and chatting with him, me remembering seeing him in 1975 yes.gif

Best Golden 2 hours was meeting the legendary Arthur Wright in my hotel in LA, the guy is awesome. smile.gif

Best golden 5 hours was hanging out with, seeing naked and getting drunk with Leola Jiles from the Apollos thumbsup.gif

Best Golden Day was getting the Ad-Libs, Spellbinders & Chris Bartley together in a hotel in New jersey rolleyes.gif

Best Golden car ride was me driving Sandi Sheldon around London. biggrin.gif

Chris L

Social source share

• 3 months later...

You met Sandi Sheldon?

Did she really exist?. this is on a par with someone seeing Janette White sing "Music" live.

Fuck me, shaking hands with Major Lance at the Torch - second show on first night, kissing PP Arnold in Newcastle and being asked if I was one of the Soul Twins at Stoke(with Graham) from Derby pale into absolute zero.

Gutted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 years ago walking into the hotel where Abdul Fakir from the Four Tops was staying and chatting with him, me remembering seeing him in 1975 yes.gif

Best Golden 2 hours was meeting the legendary Arthur Wright in my hotel in LA, the guy is awesome. smile.gif

Best golden 5 hours was hanging out with, seeing naked and getting drunk with Leola Jiles from the Apollos thumbsup.gif

Best Golden Day was getting the Ad-Libs, Spellbinders & Chris Bartley together in a hotel in New jersey rolleyes.gif

Best Golden car ride was me driving Sandi Sheldon around London. biggrin.gif

Chris L

Social source share

• 2 months later...

There must be a hundred if not a thousand golden 5 minutes for all of us.

I could write a book full LOL!

But heres a special one for me.

I'd guess 15 years ago, I'd guess Yarmouth Weekender run by Aidy croasdell.

It was the start of the Sunday night session, the last night.

I had re-met a very dear friend of mine from Market Harborough called Dim. I never knew his real name and never will, perhaps. It doesn't matter.

Even though we had not seen each other for 20 years plus when we met on the friday we both knew who we were instantly.

Anyway getting ready for sunday night I decided to wear a suit and shades , I NEVER did this. I told noone about it.

I arrived at the dance floor . They played THRILL A MOMENT by KIM WESTON.I never knew this record until about that time. If it was played in previous years , previous nighters, well I didn't know it. I'd heard it a few times on tape but that was it. I absolutely f**** adored that record (and always shall).

So I've been awake since friday, I'm coming down but had a top up so I can go a while longer yet. AND THIS BASTARD BRILLIANT KIM WESTON comes on and I'm first on the floor on my own. BUT I aren't on my own! Who is dancing at the other end of the floor also with a suit and shades on! Well it's Dim!

So there we were the both of us who never danced much, who never wear suits much, both with shades dancing to this f*** masterpiece. It was unbelieavable. You couldn't make it up cos its just too far fetched.

It was awesome!

I'll never forget it. I never saw Dim again, but that one special time will stick in my head for all time.

God Bless you Dim where ever you may be.

Swish

Social source share

Best 3 minutes of all time was first time at a Northern Soul venue, the Cats, walking in Alan S was playing The Four Larks Groovin' at the Go Go from then on I knew what heaven was going to be like thumbsup.gif

That short sentence says it all Chris. You couldn't have put it better. Superb!

Social source share

best five mins either the first time i walked on to the balcony at wigan marcch 1976 buzzzin like a beee

or after 30 years away from the scene going down the steps into that dark mystical stageroom at the twisted wheel standing on the edge of the dancefloor and thinking ive not done this for thirty years

little queenie get on that floor spike it was like id never been away buzzin like a beee again but this time without gear

keep on keepin on folks

Without gear?

What the f*** is that all about.

What you actually like LITTLE QUEENIE without gear.

wait till you hear OUT ON THE FLOOR then youll REALLY KNOW ABOUT IT.!!!

Mind you I never liked BABY I'M STILL THE SAME MAN by James Wells. Until one night at the RITZ I had a couple of tabs of e.

Then I thought it was the best record I'd ever f***** heard.

I was dancing to it and asking everybody what it was.

Then they all told me.

JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ!

Social source share

Without gear?

What the f*** is that all about.

What you actually like LITTLE QUEENIE without gear.

wait till you hear OUT ON THE FLOOR then youll REALLY KNOW ABOUT IT.!!!

Mind you I never liked BABY I'M STILL THE SAME MAN by James Wells. Until one night at the RITZ I had a couple of tabs of e.

Then I thought it was the best record I'd ever f***** heard.

I was dancing to it and asking everybody what it was.

Then they all told me.

JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ!

:D

Malc

Social source share

Seeing Margie chatting away to Chuck Jackson at the 2009 October Prestatyn. He'd always been her favourite singer, and thanks to John Poole, she got to meet him on the Thursday night, and he spoke to her and waved whilst doing his show on the Saturday (She was right at the front :D)

Sadly, as many of you know, she passed away the following January, but that twenty minutes when she was just sitting chatting to Chuck Jackson made her year, and I was so pleased to see her so excited, like a young teenager really.

Looking back, that was my magic moment, being able to arrange that for her.

post-1175-0-88270300-1290844140_thumb.jp

Social source share

Seeing Margie chatting away to Chuck Jackson at the 2009 October Prestatyn. He'd always been her favourite singer, and thanks to John Poole, she got to meet him on the Thursday night, and he spoke to her and waved whilst doing his show on the Saturday (She was right at the front laugh.gif)

Sadly, as many of you know, she passed away the following January, but that twenty minutes when she was just sitting chatting to Chuck Jackson made her year, and I was so pleased to see her so excited, like a young teenager really.

Looking back, that was my magic moment, being able to arrange that for her.

post-1175-0-88270300-1290844140_thumb.jp

How good is this story!!

Top man Dave, he has to be ffs! he can even see some good in me!!.........i think???

Social source share

Mine is'nt quite as touching as some of the above but it is still so special to me.

Meeting the Dellarks on the Soul Trip to New York afew years ago. Three of the loveliest guys you could wish to meet. I swear, if Rooney and Beckham had been stood in that room, that night, noone would have noticed. For that couple of hours, these unassuming singers were the centre of the universe. I have a massive photo on my record room wall to treasure that memory.

Social source share

Mine is'nt quite as touching as some of the above but it is still so special to me.

Meeting the Dellarks on the Soul Trip to New York afew years ago. Three of the loveliest guys you could wish to meet. I swear, if Rooney and Beckham had been stood in that room, that night, noone would have noticed. For that couple of hours, these unassuming singers were the centre of the universe. I have a massive photo on my record room wall to treasure that memory.

Well said Dave it must of been a great day

Social source share

i got another one.

Going to a secret illegal all-nighter in Leeds run by Charlie fineberg (what a super bloke he was) about 20 years ago (maybe).

it was so secret, not many turned up. In the last few hours there were only about 12 of us there. We played what the fuck we liked and just all danced together , smashed and really feeling the bond, our secret fucking thrilling bond. i never was a big dancer but i sure did that night. I remember all of us dancing to BACKSTREET, even though we'd heard it a thousand times before, and the bond just flowed between us like amazing magical power.. Clapping and back dropping together,YOU KNOW LIKE YOUR SUPPOSED TO DO! Crikey i think i felt a little emotional tear in my eye whilst writing that.

no i don't think I did, i know I did.

Social source share

Swish, I do believe I was at that night, in an empty office space in Leeds near the Adelphi ? it was a surreal night .

i got another one.

Going to a secret illegal all-nighter in Leeds run by Charlie fineberg (what a super bloke he was) about 20 years ago (maybe).

it was so secret, not many turned up. In the last few hours there were only about 12 of us there. We played what the fuck we liked and just all danced together , smashed and really feeling the bond, our secret fucking thrilling bond. i never was a big dancer but i sure did that night. I remember all of us dancing to BACKSTREET, even though we'd heard it a thousand times before, and the bond just flowed between us like amazing magical power.. Clapping and back dropping together,YOU KNOW LIKE YOUR SUPPOSED TO DO! Crikey i think i felt a little emotional tear in my eye whilst writing that.

no i don't think I did, i know I did.

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Mine would have to be on two occasions - first when I bought The Hyperions on Chatahoochee 16/17 years ago when the first few sort of came into circulation after it was uncovered from being Rob Marriott's Escorts c/up. Being a female collector back then made it an even better purchase to be chuffed to own. That period in time was my best time on The Scene, being with Micky Cruise and Tim Fletcher, loving the new sounds, making new friends, non stop laughing and loving life. Bought it cheap, sold it cheap to buy Kim Katrell on Tyson but then regretted it ever since. Thanks to Ian Cunliffe for treating me as a record collecting equal and selling it to me. Hope Ronnie Pedley kept hold of it!

Second and most treasured would be getting to know Dave Molloy 7 years ago after years of thinking for years he was an arrogant bugger, then marrying him and then realising I was right all along. Just Kidding Dave - you're my Soul Man No errrrrrrrr 1 x

Social source share

Mine would have to be on two occasions - first when I bought The Hyperions on Chatahoochee 16/17 years ago when the first few sort of came into circulation after it was uncovered from being Rob Marriott's Escorts c/up. Being a female collector back then made it an even better purchase to be chuffed to own. That period in time was my best time on The Scene, being with Micky Cruise and Tim Fletcher, loving the new sounds, making new friends, non stop laughing and loving life. Bought it cheap, sold it cheap to buy Kim Katrell on Tyson but then regretted it ever since. Thanks to Ian Cunliffe for treating me as a record collecting equal and selling it to me. Hope Ronnie Pedley kept hold of it!

Second and most treasured would be getting to know Dave Molloy 7 years ago after years of thinking for years he was an arrogant bugger, then marrying him and then realising I was right all along. Just Kidding Dave - you're my Soul Man No errrrrrrrr 1 x

I think it's a safe bet that Ronnie Pedley will still have it.:rolleyes:

Social source share

mine would have to be SOUL TRIP 3 in CHICAGO picking up MEL BRITT :unsure: at a motorway service station and taking him to the MOTOWN STUDIOS ,and later seeing his reaction to the brits singing and dancing to SHE"LL COME RUNNING BACK :unsure: ... absolute pricless ...still get goosebumps now .......smile.gif .......

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!