• Replies 87
  • Views 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Mark ,

yes me and Chris will drive up after the Canaries game has finished . Really looking forward to this nighter , it will be tough after my long working schedule of 22 days non stop , phew ! feel absolutely Knackered. The music and the atmosphere should see me through . Medicinal Northernsoul doctors orders ,

See you in the venue and a safe journey to all who are traveling tonight .

cheers Frank

Guest SoulNinja

Another booming night at Kings Hall. Got to hear some favourites played out for the first time, and it was cool to hear some funky and latin beats I'd not heard before. The dancefloor was amazing, a real pleasure. And, despite our 'newbie' looking wetter than an otter's pocket, it felt a bit cooler in there last night. Or was it me not giving 100%? :thumbsup:

Cheers all

Jem

the untouchable KINGS HALL!!!:thumbsup: EVERYBODY UP FOR IT....AGAIN!!!, the windsor suite was brisk all night, some thumpin' tunes in there and, needless to say, UNCLE TED was outrageously brilliant as promised....poor old mr. preston must have been drowning his bluenose sorrows as he didnt turn up....he would have been mightily impressed!. high fives to JULIE & JOHN for putting together a cosmopolitan collective then.....cant wait to see the buzz come july!!.

MAIN ROOM: it just keeps pushing the message, nige, dave e. and sean really got it rockin' up to the witching hour, after that chris, j.p. "the pie man" and ginger just kept bangin' in the northern anthems and it really goes without sayin', you know what to expect from mick.h....mouthwatering prospect in the summer as butch returns...tell you what,....i wouldnt bother entertaining anything else then, so get ready to snap up those tickets, if last night was anything to go by, it will be a TOTAL SELL-OUT!!.

HATS OFF TO KEV & SAM AGAIN, SOUL-COOKIN' JUST DOSNT GET BETTER THAN THIS!!:lol::D:thumbsup:

Spent most of the Nite in Julies Windsor Room

Every DJ played fantastic sets thru til 6 am

I hate to single any particula DJ out but Man o The Match for me was CASPER!! :thumbsup:

Followed by KILLA!!

CASPER you was on fire!! AWESOME set

Playlist please Casper,,, Fookin GREAT SET Bro!! :thumbsup:

Nice to see Chris Burton ealy doors to!!

All in All Bloody Top Night!!!

Nige B

Guest souldjer 1

a superb night as per expected..both rooms playing top quality soul.good crowd of friends from all over the country meeting up at megsys then onto dave n clares for more chitchat and sounds..thanks to mr & mrs evos for our tickets.

only thing i could not understand is why ohh why are the radiators on full blast...?

global warming from kings hall..

Guest soul elite

It was so good to catch up with friends we haven't seen in a while and what better place to do it, we had a great time!

Lovely to see the Evison's as always ............ :hatsoff2: :wub:xxx

Guest soulfullbabe

What a night. I had a great time and even found space on the floor to dance, music was spot on for me. Was sad to leave before Mick H got on the decks i was really looking forward to his spot! but was greatfull to Deb and Mark for the lift back to Nottm. Look forward to the next one. KTF Diane....

Wow, the Windsor Room replenished with a nice sized dance floor, the record dealers lined up down one side, a super bar (lovely, attentive staff) a great sound system, ample comfy seating and an incredible atmosphere generated by the big numbers and fantastic music keeping the dance floor busy, and for those around the edges, feet tapping and occasional forays to the decks to check out a particular piece of vinyl.

When not in the Windsor kept checking the main room, packed with joyous soulies from all corners of the UK and beyond. Judging by the knowledgable bright young things which The Kings Hall attracts , the northern soul legacy will be in safe and appreciative hands for future generations.

Non stop glorious classic after classic was delivered by DJ at the very top of their game... caught most of them John Poole, Nige Brown, Kev Roberts , Dave Evison , Ginger Taylor and for me the one that just edged it - Sean Chapman - interjecting a twist of Latin , funk and mod to the obvious delight of the dance floor ...

Back to the Windsor Room , nice to see the DJs and others popping in to listen and check out some of the grass roots regional sounds from Manchester' Killa, Casper, Tad Massey , York's Andy Hudson and the brill hosts John & Julie (Derby) . As a late substitute, quickly packed a play box and had a great time spinning a few and the banter from all ...Sadly left about 04.30 so missed Stoke's Dave & Sarah Evison's set.

Sean Chapman remarked the tune of the night was The Dells 'Sitting on the dock of the bay' (Chess) as part of a great set spun by Andy Hudson and judging by the reaction, many would agree though Ted Massey's highly prized/valued up tempo rarities were a dream to hear and an aspiration to own. Killa played some similarly up tempo floor packin' gems, loved Hues Corporation 'Good footing' , O V Wright 'Can't shake loose', Bobby Bloom 'Where are we going' plus a few more now on the wants list - thanks mate) , Julie an inspired 'feel good' 7ts spot just right the moment with John H adding further variety with some slower 6ts and RnB which nicely set up Casper's drivin' northern....

Big thanks to all for the welcome and memorable evening and company, not least Andy & Mel who also provided the transport.

musically better than most I've been to in recent years, the back room was loads better with likes of Killa, top set mate loved it, and Ted massey. The music in the main room was also a little more diverse and adventerous, with great sets from Messers chapman and john poole. Good stuff and a step in the right direction for the nations top allnighter.

Guest jsmeds

Outstanding night from start to finish . Great selection of tunes kept us both dancing till the early hours . See you all in December if not sooner.

had a great time at stoke.

killa played set of the night for me in the back room.

soul sams set seemed to suffer from being a little quite particulary at the back of the hall. That problem went away when Mick came on a cranked up the volume again :thumbup:

some realy good oldies played although some of the blue eyed pop songs i can't realy get into.

I didn't get to hear eddie parket or the tomangoes did i just miss them or did we go the whole night without them being played ? 2 of the best classic northern tracks that would have been awesome in that fantastic large hall.

Yes I would love to see this too I heard such great things about Caspers plays .

This room is really beginning to find its "Feet" and shows such promise from guys/girls that we don't generally know or have heard play before .

What's lovely about it there is no pressure in that room to play what is known or that is expected by most , this giving many collectors a chance to share , it can only get better !

Its also very pleasing to hear about the floor and the additional seating :thumbup: I have every faith in Julie showing her feminine ingenuity and making it a very welcoming room for Players, collectors , dealers and those that would like to listen to an "alternatve" to the thumping driving beat next door .

Well done !

Missed this night due to a bout of Shingles typical of my luck lately.Would love to see playlists from the windsor room especially Caspers underplayed uptempo spot sounds like a good un from people i have spoken to

First time at Stoke, Great Curry thank you Mr Bellwood. What building! The Kings Hall a much larger version of Tadcaster's Rily Smith Hall Nice greeting from Kev and Nige, John and Julie made me feel right at home in the Windsor room, Went to listen to the start of the night in the main room filled very quick, some nice tunes and got the start of Nige Browns set, can't to get the full set when he plays Tadcaster, before retiring back in to the Windsor to catch Andy Bellwood's tunes, there was only a couple of tunes which I new so that was an education and Julie's set was nice,

Then Killar up tempo not what I was expecting as he was down as Mid tempo, the dance floor was buzzing, I was talking to Killar, saying I thought you were playing Mid tempo? His reply was I am you should hear my up tempo, great How do I follow him when I had brought Jerry Butler "Aware of love" Gale Garnet, Timi Yuro. The slower side of Mid tempo, quick re arrangement of my box, Started off with Chamber Brothers "Please don't leave me" and the rest is history I did enjoyed myself and the amount of interest from the tunes i played was amazing, I did make one cock up putting on the wrong side and that was Aretha Franklin" Bridge Over Trouble Water" The other side class tune "Brand new me" which got a bit a bit of banter going with Derek Mead,The hour went too quick before handing over to Ted Massey one of the greats. John Heeney's set was another pleasant surprise having heard him play what I call up tempo R&B and he played mid tempo which I like I stayed for the first 20mins of Caspers set and was out voted, loved to have stayed to the end and see the Evisons.

Thanks again to Kev, John & Julie, Andy and Mel :thumbup:post-6352-0-25690900-1299510522_thumb.pn

well .. first real chance to catch up here.. went to Brighouse dayer sunday and collapsed in a heap Sunday night lol .. then work today (not done much lol ) :thumbsup:

stoke was as always, a wonderful place to be Saturday .. full to brimming with an always well up for it crowd.. as has already been said, some wider rangeing sounds played in the main room , and all taken in so well by the crowd on the floor :thumbsup:

The windsor room was really erupting when we looked in .. the dancefloor full and people everywhere .. and what awsome tunes ! my first time playing at stoke and already very very nervous :ohmy: with such dj's as Julie H Andy Bellwood, Ted Massey, Killa, Andy Hudson, John Heaney, Dave and Sarah Evison....and now made even worse lol .. so back to the main room for a while to wear a patch in the floor thumbsup.gif

so what did I play ? the menu was "underplayed" ... but what is "underplayed" guess it depends where you go? , how long since you last heard it out ? does it mean hardly ever heard before ? ... all a matter of opinion i guess?

so here is what i can remember I played, I'm not the kind who writes it all down or anything..... so in no order and possibly not all , here you are.. 4.00am till 5.00am ..

your absolutely right .. the apollas.. loma wd

what are you trying to do to me .. bonnie miller.. astro

salvation ..robert thomas .. charay

money wont change you.. james brown.. king wd

treat me right .. e j & the echoes .. diamond jim

keep on talking ... arthur connely .. atco

end up crying.. the vibrations .. okeh

ain't it baby .. kenny gamble .. arctic

its a mess i tell you .. ricky allen ..bright star wd

lonely you will ..johnny mae mathews .. jam

my heart is in danger .. alder ray .. minit

cant do without you .. marty lewis .. big deal

right now .. ray scott .. decca (issue)

aint gonna run.. royal esquires .. prix

ive got to face it .. the heartbreakers .. derby city

you cant have your cake .. lela martin .. melatone

packing up your love ..robert taylor .. alteen

serchin for love .. spencer .. midtown

do the skin .. kennard gardner .. dore

shing a ling thing .. liberty bells.. jay boy

you'll never make the grade .. sunlovers.. mutt & jeff

little miss soul .. lovettes .. carnival

miss fine miss fine .. danny white .. frisco

i think thats it ??

so perhaps nothing to write home about . . just fitted into the night at the right time , worked well and pleased the crowd who were in... :no:

all the dj's played some really awsome tunes to die for and nice to meet some of them n' chat Thank you to Julie n' John for a lovely welcome, and thank you for those who listened and danced .... such an open minded bunch who really love thier soul music .. xx and thanks to Susan.. who always gives me a big cuddle when things start to scare me xx

pete ktf

Edited by casper

Some greeat stuff there Pete got there about 12.30 half way through Killas great spot (Gladys Knight on Buddah :thumbsup: )was going to play a few mid tempo things but every one seemed to playing uptempo so stuck with that John Hudson played some lovely stuff aint heard little Richard for years sounded fantastic :thumbsup:

well .. first real chance to catch up here.. went to Brighouse dayer sunday and collapsed in a heap Sunday night lol .. then work today (not done much lol ) :thumbsup:

stoke was as always, a wonderful place to be Saturday .. full to brimming with an always well up for it crowd.. as has already been said, some wider rangeing sounds played in the main room , and all taken in so well by the crowd on the floor :thumbsup:

The windsor room was really erupting when we looked in .. the dancefloor full and people everywhere .. and what awsome tunes ! my first time playing at stoke and already very very nervous :ohmy: with such dj's as Julie H Andy Bellwood, Ted Massey, Killa, Andy Hudson, John Heaney, Dave and Sarah Evison....and now made even worse lol .. so back to the main room for a while to wear a patch in the floor thumbsup.gif

so what did I play ? the menu was "underplayed" ... but what is "underplayed" guess it depends where you go? , how long since you last heard it out ? does it mean never heard before ? ... all a matter of opinion i guess?

so here is what i can remember I played, I'm not the kind who writes it all down or anything..... so in no order and possibly not all , here you are..

your absolutely right the apollas loma wd

what are you trying to do to me bonnie miller astro

salvation robert thomas charay

money wont change you james brown king wd

treat me right e j & the echoes diamond jim

keep on talking arthur connely atco

end up crying the vibrations okeh

ain't it baby kenny gamble arctic

its a mess i tell you ricky allen bright star wd

lonely you will be johnny mae mathews jam

my heart is in danger alder ray minit

cant do without you marty lewis big deal

right now ray scott decca (issue)

aint gonna run royal esquires prix

ive got to face it the heartbreakers derby city

you cant have your cake lela martin melatone

packing up your love robert taylor alteen

serchin for love spencer midtown

do the skin kennard gardner dore

shing a ling thing liberty bells jay boy

you'll never make the grade sunlovers mutt & jeff

little miss soul lovettes carnival

miss fine miss fine danny white frisco

i think thats it ??

so nothing to write home about ... just fitted into the night at the right time :no:

all the dj's played some really awsome tunes to die for and nice to meet some of them n' chat Thank you to Julie n' John for a lovely welcome, and thank you for those who listened and danced .... such an open minded bunch who really love thier soul music .. xx and thanks to Susan.. who always gives me a big cuddle when things start to scare me xx

pete ktf

Thanks for posting that up Pete,several great tunes there.The hardest thing a DJ can do is to fit the right tunes into the night at the right time,well played

Been asked to post my play list (10pm-11pm , Windsor Room) so here goes.....

Chuck Rives 'Say I love you' (Daran)

Sir Guy & Rocking Caveliers 'Funky Virginia' (DPG)

Pioneers c/u 'The love I lost'

King Diamond 'Message to a black woman' (Power House)

TNT Band 'The meditation' (Cotique)

The Herbs 'There must be an answer' (Smoke)

Ben Brown 'Just ask the lonely' (Polydor)

Fabulous Counts 'Get down people' (Moira)

5 Miles Out 'Super Sweet Girl of mine' (Action)

Spencer Wiggins 'I 'm at breaking point' (Kent Select)

Eddie Lovette' You're my girl' (Steady)

Rory McDonald 'Your love is indescribably delicious'(Philips)

Angela Davis & the Mighty Chevelles 'My love (is so strong)' (Flying arrow)

Teddy Pendergrass 'Believe in love' Philli mix (Elektra)

Al Green 'Keep on pushing love' (LP cut )

Gabin 'Into my Soul' (Family Affair)

Aretha 'One step' (Feature cast re edit )

Van Mc Coy & Soul City Symphony 'Back stabbers' (H&L)

R L Burnside 'It's bad you know' (Fat Possum)

Gentleman June Gardner 'Its gonna rain' (Emarcy)

Lord Thunder c/u

Denise LaSalle 'The right track' (Parka)

The Invitations 'Watch out little girl' (MGM)

Marva Josie 'You lied' (Time)

musically better than most I've been to in recent years, the back room was loads better with likes of Killa, top set mate loved it, and Ted massey. The music in the main room was also a little more diverse and adventerous, with great sets from Messers chapman and john poole. Good stuff and a step in the right direction for the nations top allnighter.

I forgot to Mention, Sam, I have to say, Soul Sam amazes me, over the last 10 years he's got better and better at delivering top main room spots, and had the mix between the known and lesser known just right for the time slot. I was that time in the morning when you've just gotta sit down and leave the floor and then he played "love slipped", and I just floated. Tops!

Some greeat stuff there Pete got there about 12.30 half way through Killas great spot (Gladys Knight on Buddah :hatsoff2: )was going to play a few mid tempo things but every one seemed to playing uptempo so stuck with that John Hudson played some lovely stuff aint heard little Richard for years sounded fantastic :lol:

HiTed, the name is Andy Hudson, I had the same thoughts of playing mid tempo,but how do you follow Killa's spot here is some of the tunes, I played (in no order) in the Windsor Room 0100hrs - 0200hrs

Chamber Brothers "Please don't leave me" Columbia

The Dapps "There was a time" King

Orthea Barnes "Your Picture on the Wall" Mickay

The Lamp Sisters "A Woman With The Blues" Duke

Aretha Franklin "Bridge over troubled Water" Atlantic

The Stranger Brothers Show Band "Shakey Jake" Sire

Jr Walker "Showstopper" Soul

Gil Scott Heron "Lady Day and John Coultrane" Flying Dutchman

*Joe Bataan "The Bottle" Epic

The Dells "Sitting on the dock of the bay" Cadet

Gladys Knight and the Pips "I heard it through the grapevine" French Tamla

Little Richard "Get down and get with it" Columbia

Jr Walker "Tune up" Soul

Bobby Bland "Lover with a reputation" Duke

Big Maybelle "96 Tears" Rojac

Rodger Collins "I am serving time" Vocolation

Tina Britt "Who was that" Veep

Ray Charles "Compared to What" London

Cliff Nobles "Love is all right" Phi la of soul

Gloria Jones "I ain't going nowhere" EMI

Tasha Thomas "I saw the sky" Roulette

*I was chatting with Joe Bataan (The King Of Latin Soul) last week and he sends his blessing to all

Regards

Andy :lol:

Wow I would have loved being in that room , looking at those playlists . Thanks for putting them up.

I will always champion the humble record collector that normally doesn't say very much on list , has nothing to prove , no reputation to maintain and also because he/ she throws up such a varied selection of fantastic sounds that don't normally get an airing beyond their own record room.

I Look forward to July ...

Wow I would have loved being in that room , looking at those playlists . Thanks for putting them up.

I will always champion the humble record collector that normally doesn't say very much

on list , has nothing to prove , no reputation to maintain and also because he/ she throws up such a varied selection of fantastic sounds that don't normally get an airing beyond their own record room.

I Look forward to July ...

Julie H has almost cultivated a 'all back to mine' culture.

Weird eh? We had Modern that failed, Rarest of the Rare was luke warm and now, with no real plan, her 'underplayers' have created a 'I wanna play in there' scenario.

Thoroughly enjoyable- roll on July 16.

Guest aaz19tdi

Julie H has almost cultivated a 'all back to mine' culture.

Weird eh? We had Modern that failed, Rarest of the Rare was luke warm and now, with no real plan, her 'underplayers' have created a 'I wanna play in there' scenario.

Thoroughly enjoyable- roll on July 16.

"simples" = UPTEMPO all ways works for me and i only go for one thing = DANCE

Thought Ted played a blinder with such gems as ....

Robert tanner sweet memories.

Henry C & the ivy leaguers country girl

Trennels blessed with a love.

ike and tina strange.

and so on and so on but then he put on the Traditions twinkle little star awsome tune

Also as i said before the night, Jon poole played a blinder in the big room also thought the music in the big room this time was rocking . see you all in july :thumbsup:

Guest kerby

superb night . nice to see the main room djs getting back to some nighter tunes away from the same old . could,nt get my pics in the gallery so they are on facebook ..

martin preston ( kerby )

Source Advert