UUUMMMMMMMM??????

Anyone going to this, who is Andy Smith?

SOUL

Friday 11 June 11pm – 2am - £8 adv / £10 door

Andy Smith Presents Northern Soul

Portishead DJ and wizard producer, presents his brand new mixed CD of Northern Soul gems.

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Not a clue been involved in the South West scene for a while now and i can honestly say i've never heard of him or seen him anywhere!!!

John

Can't ever recall soul nights in Portishead the nearest would be in WSM with Heavenly Blocked and Life and Soul. Saying that i seem to recall some events being put on in Bristol perhaps he has something to do with those the words "ON", "BANDWAGON" and "JUMP" spring to mind ;o)

John

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I think he is from Bristol. He DJs funk from time to time in Brixton. Not sure what he's got though.

"Portishead" is a band, not a place;-)

The idea of soul music beign 'mixed' with out over weight balding drunk middle aged men mumbling on the mic between records seems a little 'alien' to me! tee hee

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

So he is charging a tenner to let you hear a CD he has put together??

Is he playing it twice??

Portishead did have a couple of soul nights in the early eighties. Run by three lads, a guy from Taunton and two mod lads in the Westside Unicorns Scooter club. I think it only ran once or twice before it moved full time to the outskirts of Taunton.

But they were wacky guys, they played vinyl 7 inch thingys??

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Jeez just re read the original post.

Does this mean the guy has re-mixed the records too??

A la SWONS

I feel ill. Hopefully there will be comic relief on or something that night, to entertain me ;-)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Its OK it is on the same weekend as Cleethorpes.

Shit I aint going there either :-(

Am I ranting yet??

Shall I get my coat??

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Jeez just re read the original post.

Does this mean the guy has re-mixed the records too??

A la SWONS

I feel ill. Hopefully there will be comic relief on or something that night, to entertain me  ;-)

I would have thought that if a DJ what considers himself to be a PROPER remix DJ has a go at something like this it won't be as subtle as SWONS which isn't mixed it's re-recorded with super synth sound rather than the crappy old instruments ;o)))

If it is that sort of project i would expect that it had more in Common with Fat Boy's - Rockerfella Skank (Sliced Tomatoes) or the house thing "Soul Heaven" whose artist elludes me at the moment, than anything Levine did.

John

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Sorry lisa ;-) Did I offend. I do get carried away every now and again. hehe

Johnny, I cant work out wehther it is good that it isnt like SWONS, or bad that it is like Fatboy Slim.

I guess I will never understand what makes a person enjoy that kind of stuff, and why people are presented as extremly talented, just for taking a few pieces of other people's records and stitching them together.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Mikey,

Andy Smith has already released a couple of albums which include tracks which sampled Northern Soul 'gems'. The Document back in 1998 and then The Documents II last year.

Interesting to hear what the new album will sound like....

By the way ... was anyone else at Parr Hall the night a DJ (i refuse to name names) mixed, and I mean really mixed, "Laura Greene" with "Frankie & The Classicals" !!!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I think it will be good to hear Kate Bush mixed with Frank Wilson!!!

Who's Frank Wilson???

John

Social source share

Oh Mikey! You will miss our soon to be famous BBQ on Saturday at cleggy :-((( Johnny one trout is making salad for us all ;-)))

Social source share

Talking of mixes there's a great new one based on Cigarette Ashes by Johnny Boy called The Generation That Bought More Soul. I think it's brilliant (I also loved Spearmint's Sweeping The Nation which used Out On The Floor) but a fellow list member wasn't too impressed.

Ady

I liked that track by Spearmint, Sweeping The Nation.

I used to hear it played by XFM in London when I was a delivery driver, never managed to get a copy tho'.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Oh Mikey!  You will miss our soon to be famous BBQ on Saturday at cleggy :-(((  Johnny one trout is making salad for us all ;-)))

MEAT I WANT MEAT!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Ady

Is that the same list member who was in a band that released some records on the same label as some of Spearmints' were released on??

Johnny, Meat is Murder!! Free the lentils!

Social source share

QUOTE Talking of mixes there's a great new one based on Cigarette Ashes by Johnny Boy called The Generation That Bought More Soul. I think it's brilliant (I also loved Spearmint's Sweeping The Nation which used Out On The Floor) but a fellow list member wasn't too impressed QUOTE

Don't get upset Ady, it's just that, with the exception of Fat boy slim, most of these records that snaffle soul have a whiney, girly, indie vocal all over them. I don't dig it.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I Saw Spearmint with Sportique and the band that the SS poster was in, at the Water Rats years ago. Absolutely superb night.

Its not like some computer operator, oops quality mixing dj, they are a group of musicians who take inspiration. Nota bunch of white blokes doing a sub-standard karaoke.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!