South Essex Soul Club

We expected to be down on attendance Saturday due to the number of local events that have sprung up to serve the Soul "hordes" of South Essex huh.gif . We weren't wrong with attendance in the mid thirties. We weren't wrong either that the music would be the dog's whatsits, it was. Thanks to DJs Paul McKay, Stubbsy, Ginger and a big thanks to our star turn, guest DJ Terry Dempsey, take a bow that man thumbsup.gif

Given that so many other venues wish to "Keep The £aith" in our part of the world, (usually on the same night as us) we've decided to let them get on with it. So our next event will be our final farewell after 3 fun years. Thanks to everyone that became our regular "tribe" your support again on saturday was appreciated. On September 25th we will bring down the curtain for the very last time at Capone's, we'll go out the same way as we came in.............. No compromise, just 100% Quality Soul on original vinyl.

Taff

Edited by Saxafone
  • Replies 32
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest soulmanherts

We expected to be down on attendance Saturday due to the number of local events that have sprung up to serve the Soul hordes of Essex. We weren't wrong with attendance in the mid thirties. We weren't wrong either that the music would be the dog's whatsits, it was. Thanks to DJs Paul McKay, Stubbsy, Ginger and a big thanks to our star turn, guest DJ Terry Dempsey, take a bow that man thumbsup.gif

Given that so many other venues wish to "Keep The Faith" in our part of the world, we've decided to let them get on with it. So our next event will be our final farewell after 3 fun years. Thanks to everyone that became our regular "tribe" your support again on saturday was appreciated. On July 3rd we will bring down the curtain for the very last time at Capone's, we'll go out the same way as we came in.............. No compromise, just 100% Quality Soul on original vinyl.

Taff

Sorry to hear the sad news, had some great times at Capones, maybe it is that there are too many soul nights on, but still a big shame. will try my best to get to the last night in July

We expected to be down on attendance Saturday due to the number of local events that have sprung up to serve the Soul hordes of Essex. We weren't wrong with attendance in the mid thirties. We weren't wrong either that the music would be the dog's whatsits, it was. Thanks to DJs Paul McKay, Stubbsy, Ginger and a big thanks to our star turn, guest DJ Terry Dempsey, take a bow that man thumbsup.gif

Given that so many other venues wish to "Keep The Faith" in our part of the world, we've decided to let them get on with it. So our next event will be our final farewell after 3 fun years. Thanks to everyone that became our regular "tribe" your support again on saturday was appreciated. On July 3rd we will bring down the curtain for the very last time at Capone's, we'll go out the same way as we came in.............. No compromise, just 100% Quality Soul on original vinyl.

Taff

Sorry to hear this guys - In five and a half years at our place, we've had some dreadful turnouts (often in May, June or July), but always managed to recover, so I would say to not make any hasty decisions instead maybe take a break and come back stronger as you have a night worth putting on.

The clashes Saturday night? - I know about the Mod thing but surely this is a one -off, not sure about any others but bollocks to them.

Stick with it guys,

Dave

Just been talking to our Venue and they don't want to see us throw the towel in, but as we think it's the right decision we will cancel our July night and shift the finale to our scheduled September 25th night thumbsup.gif

That should give promoters of other local events plenty of time to sort their venues out if they wanna clash ph34r.gif

Taff

Edited by Saxafone

So disappointing Saturday night with the Turnout but can't say it was completely unexpected sad.gif

Think it's got to be a combination of factors, other events, lack of money, general decline of interest in the scene (?).

Other big factor me thinks is Essex is not really a NS place. Better known for Jazz Funk and Disco whistling.gif

Don't think it was anything to do with the venue, (propretors were really good and left us to get on with it without interference), or our music policy as we played across the board and all our guest DJ's did us proud.

We've had some great nights at Capones so let's make sure we go out with a bang on 25th September, which incidentally is my birthday wink.gif

Thanks to everyone on here who has supported us thumbsup.gif

The clashes Saturday night? - I know about the Mod thing but surely this is a one -off, not sure about any others but bollocks to them.

Dave

Cheers Dave, thumbsup.gif here's another one.

Taff

Start Time: Saturday, 22 May 2010 at 21:00

End Time: Sunday, 23 May 2010 at 01:00

Town/City: Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom

Description.Come down The Railway on May 22nd, for another night with Dandy Bloom.

Northern Soul, RnB, Motown

On the bill ya got

* Rob Messer

*Scully

*Lewis M

*Lee R

all for 3 quid. 9-1

Stupidly cheap drink upstairs, with a bit of punch thrown in an'all.

post-2792-12747095261406.jpg

Edited by Saxafone

well i gotta say something chaps.....i never went to that many of your nights but each one was excellent...warm welcome..efficient bar staff......great music from all the djs and a decent sized dancefloor...i think ginger dave could be the cause of events shutting down..first the tower and now capones.........

only joking dave...lolol

its a shame really that another very good event bites the dust and some crap ones manage to keep going...

i dont think you essex boys could have done anymore than you did..some top class guest djs over the three years

regards moldie

Sad to see this, lads. Remember tho, you're a long time retired and you might regret it later. Why don't you reconsider and make the decision after the Sept do. There's nothing like a good night to get your enthusiasm back again.

We've all had our ups and downs: Boogaloosoul has been flyin, dyin and flyin, scrambling and flyin back again over the years - but we're still here. Something simple like a change of venue, change of regualarity or different guests could make all the difference.

Actually I blame Ginger Dave - he's a kiss of death at the mo :thumbsup: I don't want him anywhere near my does in the future.

There's nothing like a good night to get your . Something simple like a change of venue, change of regualarity or different guests could make all the difference.

UNSURE IF CHANGING THE GUESTS WOULD ACHIEVE ANYTHING WARREN...EVERY GUEST DJ I EVER HEARD THERE PLAYED A GREAT SET

Actually I blame Ginger Dave - he's a kiss of death at the mo :thumbsup: I don't want him anywhere near my does in the future.

ALFIE IS DREADING THE GINGER ONE PLAYING AT HIS ALL DAYER ON SUNDAY

MOLDIE

Cheers Dave, thumbsup.gif here's another one.

Taff

Start Time: Saturday, 22 May 2010 at 21:00

End Time: Sunday, 23 May 2010 at 01:00

Town/City: Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom

Description.Come down The Railway on May 22nd, for another night with Dandy Bloom.

Northern Soul, RnB, Motown

On the bill ya got

* Rob Messer

*Scully

*Lewis M

*Lee R

all for 3 quid. 9-1

Stupidly cheap drink upstairs, with a bit of punch thrown in an'all.

Apart from Messer don't think I know any of em sad.gif

Apart from Messer don't think I know any of em :sad:

dont forget stubbsy....anybody with some records these days is a dj

the entrance price and cheap drinks is more of a threat than the djs listed

moldie

Sad to see this, lads. Remember tho, you're a long time retired and you might regret it later. Why don't you reconsider and make the decision after the Sept do. There's nothing like a good night to get your enthusiasm back again.

Was thinking that myself Warren! Perhaps see how many we get in September, then consider doing one every six months, or something? With hindsight, 5 do's a year probably too many (overkill factor)!

Don't think the DJ's a problem and we've had a different guest every one. Had a "big name" DJ lined up for this year but he then realised that our dates clashed with other "major" events so he couldn't do it for us.

Don't think the venue is a problem - had positive feedback from must of the punters who commented. However, NS always seems to be more succesful in a working men's club, or civic hall, rather than a nightclub setting. No working men's clubs in Essex (?) no.gif and civic hall costs prohibitive, as we found when we did Rayleigh Mill.

Anyone care to offer any comments please feel free to post on here, or pm me.

Guest JimSLH

Think you guys should come to Stanford on sat 29th at The Railway and see whats going on in there

Maybe then you guys will see that Capons is the only place that play all vinyl quality soul

I think Dandy bloom could die soon went the for a m8's Birthday but the venue had one toilet working ran out of Glasses again & Beer aswell

so apart from it being bit of dump and not having beer you can make you own mind up about other nights

I wont match your nights and im only doing a one off in Southend

I wont match your nights and im only doing a one off in Southend

Jim, we know you are like us, in it purely for the music. Hope your Southend night is a cracker and we'll see you there. As for the Dindy Brooms and the biggest soul nights in Essex (ever) :huh: of this world, the Daleks had the best idea :D

By the way your DVD was the bollox, played on the screens Saturday from when we started to when we closed. :ohmy:

At the end of the day the punters are in control, if we ain't offering them what they want, fair play if they go elsewhere.

KTF and for the others, KT£ ! You'll soon strangle the last soul pound and move on to your next big idea :yes:

Taff

Edited by Saxafone

Jim, we know you are like us, in it purely for the music. Hope your Southend night is a cracker and we'll see you there. As for the Dindy Brooms and the biggest soul nights in Essex (ever) :D of this world, the Daleks had the best idea :ohmy:

I THINK YOU WILL FIND ITS A TYPO REGARDING THE NAME..IT SHOUD BE CINDY ROOMS

KTF and for the others, KT£ ! You'll soon strangle the last soul pound and move on to your next big idea :huh:

Taff

Guest JimSLH

Jim, we know you are like us, in it purely for the music. Hope your Southend night is a cracker and we'll see you there. As for the Dindy Brooms and the biggest soul nights in Essex (ever) :huh: of this world, the Daleks had the best idea :D

By the way your DVD was the bollox, played on the screens Saturday from when we started to when we closed. :ohmy:

At the end of the day the punters are in control, if we ain't offering them what they want, fair play if they go elsewhere.

KTF and for the others, KT£ ! You'll soon strangle the last soul pound and move on to your next big idea :yes:

Taff

Personally I want to see it go on if it means rally up the troop will do me best see you at SHS next fridaybut come on sat only up road

we can chat about it then

If I still lived in Essex I would have come and given you some support . Maybe dragged Danny along lol

I have said this before and I will say it again . If you have been blessed with a good venue and you have the management on your side ,and keep your overheads low , who knows your Dj's may play for just petrol money or if they live close for nothing ?

Why not carry it on and treat is as a monthly enthusiasts meet up with your mates.

If you can draw 30 you can still have a good time just enjoying the music you love LOUD and PROUD and seeing some mates.

I beg to differ that to have a good time you have to have a rammed room the best nights I have had are where the crowd had been thin.

Thing is there are not many SOULS in Essex the road infastructure is a nightmare for anyone in North Esssex and beyond around East Anglia so not many would travel , so I think you have to live with the low numbers.

Stubbsy can you remember what was the maximum you could get down These old shoes ?

If I still lived in Essex I would have come and given you some support . Maybe dragged Danny along lol

I have said this before and I will say it again . If you have been blessed with a good venue and you have the management on your side ,and keep your overheads low , who knows your Dj's may play for just petrol money or if they live close for nothing ?

Why not carry it on and treat is as a monthly enthusiasts meet up with your mates.

If you can draw 30 you can still have a good time just enjoying the music you love LOUD and PROUD and seeing some mates.

I beg to differ that to have a good time you have to have a rammed room the best nights I have had are where the crowd had been thin.

Thing is there are not many SOULS in Essex the road infastructure is a nightmare for anyone in North Esssex and beyond around East Anglia so not many would travel , so I think you have to live with the low numbers.

Stubbsy can you remember what was the maximum you could get down These old shoes ?

Hiya Carms, Thanks for your constructive comments. I know if you'd still been in Essex we could, of course, have counted on your support thumbsup.gif

At one time it seemed like there was only you, me & Danny from Essex who turned up at SE events, but probably not so laugh.gif

I don't know what the maxium permitted used to be at TOS, probably 80?, but I can remember some great nights down there, when it was in it's heyday, when there must have been nearer a 100 in!

Edited by Stubbsy

Hi Carms

All of us residents play for free and we pay our guests, although at least one has refused payment (what a top bloke!). I live in Bromley and travel over to play and Taff very kindly puts Helen and I up. We 've had good numbers at this venue in the past especially when we first moved there, but for whatever reason numbers have declined, as they have elsewhere. Maybe we should copy and paste Ady's 100 Club crisis post and change the names:lol:. Taff is now the sole promoter and losses are something any promoter will only be able to support for so long, so I understand Taff's disappointment about clashes when our dates were published quite a long time ago. On Saturday if you lived in Grays or Southend why would you attend Capones which is in Benfleet when you could go to a local do and walk or get a cheap taxi home? Especially if you are not a passionate Northern fan. Having said all that I think the clashes definitely exacerbated the problem.

Hiya Carms, Thanks for your constructive comments. I know if you'd still been in Essex we could, of course, have counted on your support thumbsup.gif

At one time it seemed like there was only you, me & Danny from Essex who turned up at SE events, but probably not so :laugh:

I don't know what the maxium permitted used to be at TOS, probably 80?, but I can remember some great nights down there, when it was in it's heyday, when there must have been nearer a 100 in!

I didn't think it would be that many because it was a very small venue , but having said that it always had it's regulars and those that were there were kind of special. I reckon it had an inner circle of about 40 that you could bank on being there.

Capones could be like that ?

Danny is now in love with lovely girl and doesn't do soul do's anymore :ohmy: who would have thought eh :wink: I bet he still warbles in his car though :laugh: the times we ended up at Wembley on our trips to the Dome lol ... hope he has a SAT nav now.

Guest aaaaa

Apart from the attendance numbers it was another top night 3 top djs,paul ,,stubbsy and dave, and a fantastic guest terry dempsey just a pity there wasnt more there to hear them,theres loads of people in a 10 mile radius of capones who have never been there for various reasons that i wont go into here( political, cant be botherd etc etc )but we allways had a great night in there ,so roll on september. :yes:

Sorry to hear this news. Having been to the last 4 nights you have run I had to miss this one for family reasons. I can only reiterate some of the other comments on here, you run a cracking night in a good venue - it's so good my brother drives over from Beckenham he rates it so high. Totally understandable that you get frustrated with the situation with the other events clashing but I am a firm believer that class will always win out in the end - if you can stick it out.

Anyway with this news and my beloved Palace heading for the Ryman Premier League, I think it's time to drown my sorrows.

Definitely be there for the September do.

Sorry to hear this news. Having been to the last 4 nights you have run I had to miss this one for family reasons. I can only reiterate some of the other comments on here, you run a cracking night in a good venue - it's so good my brother drives over from Beckenham he rates it so high. Totally understandable that you get frustrated with the situation with the other events clashing but I am a firm believer that class will always win out in the end - if you can stick it out.

Anyway with this news and my beloved Palace heading for the Ryman Premier League, I think it's time to drown my sorrows.

Definitely be there for the September do.

Thanks for your support thumbsup.gif it's appreciated , we're already planning the September night and if we can pull off what we are aiming for, it will be without doubt the biggest, best and most keeping the faithest soul night in Essex biggrin.gif

Taff

Thanks for your support thumbsup.gif it's appreciated , we're already planning the September night and if we can pull off what we are aiming for, it will be without doubt the biggest, best and most keeping the faithest soul night in Essex biggrin.gif

Taff

First opportunity to post in a while.

Just to reiterate EssexEagle's views. It's a great venue with some class sounds. Well worth the 100 mile round drive IMHO.

And while I couldn't make last Saturday I'll be there in September, and July if you decide to reinstate it.

Taff

wyt isio fi ddod ar FWA i lawr i losgi y cont lle arall na

Sorry to hear that you are calling it a day. I heard about it at the Hobgoblin alldayer on Sunday. To my shame I've only been there twice, great nights both of them, remember dashing to the dance floor when Paul played the Empires. And it was kind of John and Karen to put me up for the night.

I thought the venue was good, nothing wrong with the music policy. You know I like my 70s sounds but the 60s music was good, not the same old stuff that you hear at some other places. Not sure if I can make September, think it's when I'm coming home from the Kefalonia week, but will try if available.

As regards clashing of events, this is getting to be irritating. Surely it's good manners not to clash with an existing night? Or perhaps I'm just old fashioned.

I suppose the difference between Capones and These Old Shoes is the location and day of the week. TOS was in London, albeit just south of the Thames and on a Thursday night. So okay for people working in London. Unfortunately Benfleet is harder to get to. To get to any event outside London does need planning. I went to Cambridge on Saturday night to a place where Soul Sam was guesting. It was a difficult journey to say the least, satnavs are not infallible.

It's easy to say don't give up yet, but if money is being lost on the event sooner or later you have to call it a day. Well done to all of you for a good soul night.

Sorry to hear you've decided to call it quits. But if the punters are called away to a night playing pressings and rubbish like "The Snake" maybe you are better off without them. Quality punters in short supply that's the real problem. But you South Essex boys can hold your heads up high for running an excellent night for a couple of years.

Steve

Source Advert