Tainted Love

Guest johnm

Guest johnm

Hi there had a question from my nephew.

He heard an extended version of Tainted Love by Gloria Jones but hasn't been able to

find a copy.

Does such a thing exist or was it another artist and not Gloria Jones he heard..???

thanks

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

One here but it's massively overpriced - you should be able to get one for around a tenner plus postage

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3ca182b143

Yes, I did edit.

If the guy wants one ask him to contact me and I will have a look, will have a spare somewhere.

Realy weird this has come on today, as yesterday I found the tape the 12" was cut from, had stored it away and not seen it for years.

Neil

Social source share

Guest martyn

Hi there had a question from my nephew.

He heard an extended version of Tainted Love by Gloria Jones but hasn't been able to

find a copy.

Does such a thing exist or was it another artist and not Gloria Jones he heard..???

thanks

She re-recorded it in 1976 for an album . I used to have the album on cassette (bought it from Woolies !) in my car years ago - didn't think much of it at the time .

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

When Simon Mayo was on the lunchtime show on Radio 1 (It was on at one billion decibles every day at work), he often used to play a Northern Soul tune at 1pm.

One day he played Tainted Love, but it wasnt the Champion, Inferno or Inferno 12" version. Maybe it was the re-recording Martyn mentions?

To me it sounded like they'd taken the production of Jerry Williams - If You Ask Me, or Patrice Holloway - End Of Our Love and recorded Tainted Love the same way.

The backing vocals were haunting like JW and PH. And it may have even been a beat slower? It also sounded like Gloria was stood away from the mic, adding to the haunting feel.

It blew me away. Having liked and owned all three other versions I wanted this version but havent found it, or really anyone else who heard it.

Was I imagining things? I have asked here before but no luck.

Social source share

After Soft Cell had the hit, AVI (who owned Champion) did a remix of Gloria's orgiinal.

Neil ]

When Simon Mayo was on the lunchtime show on Radio 1 (It was on at one billion decibles every day at work), he often used to play a Northern Soul tune at 1pm.

One day he played Tainted Love, but it wasnt the Champion, Inferno or Inferno 12" version. Maybe it was the re-recording Martyn mentions?

To me it sounded like they'd taken the production of Jerry Williams - If You Ask Me, or Patrice Holloway - End Of Our Love and recorded Tainted Love the same way.

The backing vocals were haunting like JW and PH. And it may have even been a beat slower? It also sounded like Gloria was stood away from the mic, adding to the haunting feel.

It blew me away. Having liked and owned all three other versions I wanted this version but havent found it, or really anyone else who heard it.

Social source share

Guest martyn

It may be the same one , I don't have the cassette anymore ( it got wound out of the car window on the way back down the A1 from a nighter ! ) . The album was (I think) produced by Marc Bolan , it had a cover version of ' Get it On ' on it . It was on EMI & was I guess released to coincide with her tour of the nighters that summer - can't imagine why else they would have bothered to be honest . As I said ,I didn't like it but that may have been simply because it didn't sound like the original version that I was used to hearing - I wasn't as open minded ( musically speaking ) in those days

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

After Soft Cell had the hit, AVI (who owned Champion) did a remix of Gloria's orgiinal.

Neil ]

Cheers Neil. It does ring a bell. I will have to check it out.

I may have even had a copy, but it wasnt what I was looking for.

Ian. I cant decide if you are being a little sacky? ie there were thousands floating around.

I think I also had an instumental, so maybe as I said to Neil, i had this as well??

Social source share

Ian. I cant decide if you are being a little sacky? ie there were thousands floating around.

I think I also had an instumental, so maybe as I said to Neil, i had this as well??

What? U.S. A.V.I. 12"'s? I never saw many of 'em in years of trawling for 12"'s. I'm pretty sure A.V.I.'s pressing runs at that period weren't much more than a few hundred 'cos most of the later releases are difficult to find IMO.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Sorry. Waiting for the cuts in our office. Freudian slip typing sacky instead of sarky. thumbsup.gif

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest miff

She re-recorded it in 1976 for an album . I used to have the album on cassette (bought it from Woolies !) in my car years ago - didn't think much of it at the time .

I had one years ago was it called "I aint going nowhere" I think, it was defo a track that was on the lp along with a version of Tainted love, seem to remember it was a bit over produced, it had lost it raw souding omph if you no what i mean

What? U.S. A.V.I. 12"'s? I never saw many of 'em in years of trawling for 12"'s. I'm pretty sure A.V.I.'s pressing runs at that period weren't much more than a few hundred 'cos most of the later releases are difficult to find IMO.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Theres one here, with a bit of a sound clip, Postage is a bit much though

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item335d5622bb

Edited by miff
Social source share

I had one years ago was it called "I aint going nowhere" I think, it was defo a track that was on the lp along with a version of Tainted love, seem to remember it was a bit over produced, it had lost it raw souding omph if you no what i mean

Theres one here, with a bit of a sound clip, Postage is a bit much though

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item335d5622bb

I aint going nowhere 45 came out on EMI here,original of Jr Walker.

Social source share

Guest miff

I aint going nowhere 45 came out on EMI here,original of Jr Walker.

yes.gif Yep it sure did ken, See you at Cleethorpes hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

It may be the same one , I don't have the cassette anymore ( it got wound out of the car window on the way back down the A1 from a nighter ! ) . The album was (I think) produced by Marc Bolan , it had a cover version of ' Get it On ' on it . It was on EMI & was I guess released to coincide with her tour of the nighters that summer - can't imagine why else they would have bothered to be honest . As I said ,I didn't like it but that may have been simply because it didn't sound like the original version that I was used to hearing - I wasn't as open minded ( musically speaking ) in those days

The album was called "Vixen"...and the remake of Tainted Love on it was dire if I remember correctly - certainly not worth the effort of burrowing in the depths of my wardrobe to find it anyway!

Social source share