Radio Luxembourg-Black Friday

During the late 70's Radio Luxembourg played Soul and Reggae music only on a friday night...and l seem to remember they played Tobi Legend as their record of the week....anybody else remember this?? And does anybody remember 'The Luxembourg Wave'? :ohmy:

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

During the late 70's Radio Luxembourg played Soul and Reggae music only on a friday night...and l seem to remember they played Tobi Legend as their record of the week....anybody else remember this?? And does anybody remember 'The Luxembourg Wave'? :ohmy:

Yes, I remember it from 1975/6? , no later than that? I think it started about 7 pm, a good time to 'get ready' for a Friday big night out and listen to the radio. I also remember a sat soul programme from B'ham's BRMB radio station around the same year. It was fronted by Nicky ?? and moving towards more funky soul. The one record I used to like had the chorus, "I just wana know, how's your love life ?" Wouldn't mind hearing it again! Ade:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

:yes::lol: And l remember listening when the volume went down,and then came back. up......and knocked your f**kin' head off!! :lol::ohmy:

Its always been like that with the volume.

Even when i used to listen to the top twenty on a sunday night back in 1962.

Do you remember that Phil.

Stu.

Social source share

During the late 70's Radio Luxembourg played Soul and Reggae music only on a friday night...and l seem to remember they played Tobi Legend as their record of the week....anybody else remember this?? And does anybody remember 'The Luxembourg Wave'? biggrin.gif

Neil Rushton did a Northern Soul special on Lux on Friday nights in 1976.

I think it was in six parts, in was on about midnight.

I taped them at the time, will still have them somewhere.yes.gif

Dave.

Social source share

During the late 70's Radio Luxembourg played Soul and Reggae music only on a friday night...and l seem to remember they played Tobi Legend as their record of the week....anybody else remember this?? And does anybody remember 'The Luxembourg Wave'? :yes:

I used to work next door to their office in Hertford street, London, one day I got off the tube at Green Park

swung across Piccadilly and there were thousands of young screaming girls in the street I had to find a telepone box, ring the office to find out what was going on. David Cassidy was in the studios and the word had leaked out :P

Used to listen to it all the time I could, their last record everynight (in my day) was the long version of the Doors - Light my fire...........thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Neil Rushton did a Northern Soul special on Lux on Friday nights in 1976.

I think it was in six parts, in was on about midnight.

I taped them at the time, will still have them somewhere.:yes:

Dave.

Does nobody else remember Neil doing this or listening to it?

Come on Neil you must remember guesting on I think it was Emperior Rosko's show?

Dave.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yes, I remember it from 1975/6? , no later than that? I think it started about 7 pm, a good time to 'get ready' for a Friday big night out and listen to the radio. I also remember a sat soul programme from B'ham's BRMB radio station around the same year. It was fronted by Nicky ?? and moving towards more funky soul. The one record I used to like had the chorus, "I just wana know, how's your love life ?" Wouldn't mind hearing it again! Ade:thumbsup:

It's "How's Your Love Life" parts 1 & 2 by Lee Eldred on Mercury. Great recod - I'm sure that the largely instrumental part 2 used to be the side that got played out...

Social source share

It's "How's Your Love Life" parts 1 & 2 by Lee Eldred on Mercury. Great recod - I'm sure that the largely instrumental part 2 used to be the side that got played out...

Hello & thank you Mr Rounce, that is almost certainly the record I had in mind. Google has plenty of information about the record but alas nothing to click on to play it! Don't supose anybody could load it up? as i'm not sure if it was a great record or just the brilliant summer of 1976 that made everything seem good...plus I was only 21 years old! Ade

Social source share

Does nobody else remember Neil doing this or listening to it?

Come on Neil you must remember guesting on I think it was Emperior Rosko's show?

Dave.

I remember this show , Neil played The Smith Brothers " Paybacks a drag " , plus Jerry Jackson " It's rough out there " and Patrice Holloway " Love and desire " , both of which went straight to the top of my wants list .Years later I bought both of them off Neil , so ended up with the actual copies I'd heard on the radio , years before ..I know Neil was after copies of these shows Dave , you may want to let him know you have them ? Cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

During the late 70's Radio Luxembourg played Soul and Reggae music only on a friday night...and l seem to remember they played Tobi Legend as their record of the week....anybody else remember this?? And does anybody remember 'The Luxembourg Wave'? biggrin.gif

Just seen this,

I remember it too but I seem to think it might have been a Sunday (then it was a long time ago) and wasn't it a power play or record of the week or

something like that and it was played twice. And if I had to guess I would say the DJ was Emperor Rosko.

Social source share

Just managed to listen to it on www.electrofunkroots.com and yes it's a good 'un! :yes:Had a bit of a dance to it but couldn't coax my wife to join me:(

Ade

Social source share

I remember this show , Neil played The Smith Brothers " Paybacks a drag " , plus Jerry Jackson " It's rough out there " and Patrice Holloway " Love and desire " , both of which went straight to the top of my wants list .Years later I bought both of them off Neil , so ended up with the actual copies I'd heard on the radio , years before ..I know Neil was after copies of these shows Dave , you may want to let him know you have them ? Cheers ,Eddie

Eddie, I will ask Neil tonight at Radcliffe.

Dave.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest topcatnumpty1

Just seen this as only just got back from Greece-----It was black fridaay on Luxemburg 208,black music every Friday night for about 8 weeks.Stuart Henry did 11-12 and Neil Rushton guested playing various "top" sounds of the day he also slated off records that had just been "pressed" which he explained to Stuart meant bootlegged,the last record he played was Rose Batiste--Hit and Run.

Tony C.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Its always been like that with the volume.

Even when i used to listen to the top twenty on a sunday night back in 1962.

Do you remember that Phil.

Stu.

the best show was " Sam costa " Played in With " All For You -Earl Van Dyke" then played out with " Out to Lunch - The American Poets" ( B side of "She Blew a Good Thing ) ,Two cracking instrumentals for the time ,around 66 or 67 . Sam also produced a number Great Soul Records . Luxembourg show sponsered by Armarmy Hair Products .

Social source share

Guest martyn

Just managed to listen to it on www.electrofunkroots.com and yes it's a good 'un! :yes:Had a bit of a dance to it but couldn't coax my wife to join me:(

Ade

just been on there & couldn't find it , how did you find it on there ???? :thumbsup:

Social source share

HI

I remember "All for you" being played as a shows theme music although I thought it was Emperor Rosco's. I alo have memories that Luxembourg's policy (in the 60's) was to only play about 2/3 of a song not the whole tune, anyone else remeber this? Remember the fellow who used to advertise his pools winning formula, his postal address was Keynsham pelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M and to put you out of your misery his name was.....Horace Batchelor....now you remember.

Ulysees.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

just been on there & couldn't find it , how did you find it on there ???? :thumbsup:

Martyn, I've just had another look electrofunkroots and I couldn't find it the 2nd time, infact couln't find any music on there. Very strange. However, looked on U tube and some kind soul has put it on...must be very recent because previously it was first place i looked. Ade:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest martyn

Martyn, I've just had another look electrofunkroots and I couldn't find it the 2nd time, infact couln't find any music on there. Very strange. However, looked on U tube and some kind soul has put it on...must be very recent because previously it was first place i looked. Ade:thumbsup:

thumbsup.gif Bought back a few memories

Social source share

:yes:laugh.gif And l remember listening when the volume went down,and then came back. up......and knocked your f**kin' head off!! :yes::lol:

Yer bang on the money there matey!! The old Fidelty Rad 12 Eh!!:yes::lol: :lol: :yes:thumbsup.gif

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Nicky Steele i think

Social source share

Nicky Steele

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert