Who's Finding The Tuneage ?

All through the history of our scene there has been the 'behind the scene' guys (mainly) finding the tunes & feeding em out to the Deejays, Soussan, Anderson, Rushton,Shard, Ashabendie etc, etc, etc..........so is there still anyone who is the main source for things these day's.............yes, I know there are loads of dealers, both big & small, but I mean the person who you go to visit or phone cos you know they are gonna have the real 'special' stuff for ya.............I kinow its like its always been & us mere mortals are way down the pecking list when it comes to first dibs, but just interested as so many of the 'big' tunes found there way on to the scene via these people & others like them ????.

Russ

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest wigan bob

All through the history of our scene there has been the 'behind the scene' guys (mainly) finding the tunes & feeding em out to the Deejays, Soussan, Anderson, Rushton,Shard, Ashabendie etc, etc, etc..........so is there still anyone who is the main source for things these day's.............yes, I know there are loads of dealers, both big & small, but I mean the person who you go to visit or phone cos you know they are gonna have the real 'special' stuff for ya.............I kinow its like its always been & us mere mortals are way down the pecking list when it comes to first dibs, but just interested as so many of the 'big' tunes found there way on to the scene via these people & others like them ????.

Russ

i think greg tormo finds stuff for people over here

Social source share

Russ,

I think you are living in Northern soul dreamland mate. There are no secrets anymore, you know that, you lived in the States long enough. Everyone has the guide books, popsike and ebay...what else do you need to know...you can become an expert almost overnight...

Sure they still make some mistakes but mostly its all out there for everyone to see. My guess would be that the guys breaking the tunes these days would are the guys lucky enough to get booked regularly, with good taste or at least a finger on the pulse of the scene who know just when to play "that tune" they have had in their collections for a few years....

With few exceptions the days of a dealer pushing the latest discovery into some grateful DJs hands so he can go and make it big are over....

Chris

Social source share

Russ,

I think you are living in Northern soul dreamland mate. There are no secrets anymore, you know that, you lived in the States long enough. Everyone has the guide books, popsike and ebay...what else do you need to know...you can become an expert almost overnight...

Sure they still make some mistakes but mostly its all out there for everyone to see. My guess would be that the guys breaking the tunes these days would are the guys lucky enough to get booked regularly, with good taste or at least a finger on the pulse of the scene who know just when to play "that tune" they have had in their collections for a few years....

With few exceptions the days of a dealer pushing the latest discovery into some grateful DJs hands so he can go and make it big are over....

Chris

Think I have to agree Chris, its about having the opportunity to break them more than having 'that exclusive' in the first place.

Social source share

Russ,

Chris

I think ya might be right Chris, but thought I would pose the question anyway...........

Russ

Social source share

Have you won the Lottery Russ ?:lol::D

Maybe saving up his tokens while working away...

Give me a call Russ when you are back home, you can come play your choice bits at my event :hatsoff2:

I think there are still a few things going on out there behind the curtains.... But they aint gonna advertise that on here for sure :lol:

Social source share

As you know Simon, its not always about how much money you have, I was thinking more along the lines of the stories I heard about John Andersons Barn & the trips people would have to there & the sheer choice of tunes just waiting to be found for reasonable prices........never ever went, would get the lists, but with hind sight would dearly have loved to have visited.............

Best Russ

Social source share

Maybe saving up his tokens while working away...

Give me a call Russ when you are back home, you can come play your choice bits at my event hatsoff2.gif

I think there are still a few things going on out there behind the curtains.... But they aint gonna advertise that on here for sure laugh.gif

It would be a pleasure buddy...........speak soon

Thank you

Russ

Social source share

As you know Simon, its not always about how much money you have, I was thinking more along the lines of the stories I heard about John Andersons Barn & the trips people would have to there & the sheer choice of tunes just waiting to be found for reasonable prices........never ever went, would get the lists, but with hind sight would dearly have loved to have visited.............

Best Russ

Its not the same now Russ . But I guess John , Andy Dyson , Manship and Dave Raistrick are still turning up tooonage lol thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Its not the same now Russ . But I guess John , Andy Dyson , Manship and Dave Raistrick are still turning up tooonage lol thumbsup.gif

Back in the day it must have been like shooting fish in a barrel, all you needed was a good ear really & the venue to expose them to the masses.........these days everyone is a potential DJ & the tunes arnt out there like they were, thats not to say there arnt any good records left, i think there are, but my god you have to bloody work hard at it & have some serious contacts to even find half decent things, if you wanna be even a teeny bit original.............& the top guys always get first dibs if the bigger dealers get wind of anything, it will have been turned down by all of em if it by chance gets offered to you.

Your thoughts guys.............

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

I dare say that if your a big hitter / serious collector/ dj who spends a lot of money with their favourite/regular dealers etc would get first dibs on new/rare bits they turn up. Bit like the antiques game - when something turns up you have customers who'll snap their hand off / collect certain pieces.

Social source share

Back in the day it must have been like shooting fish in a barrel, all you needed was a good ear really & the venue to expose them to the masses.........these days everyone is a potential DJ & the tunes arnt out there like they were, thats not to say there arnt any good records left, i think there are, but my god you have to bloody work hard at it & have some serious contacts to even find half decent things, if you wanna be even a teeny bit original.............& the top guys always get first dibs if the bigger dealers get wind of anything, it will have been turned down by all of em if it by chance gets offered to you.

Your thoughts guys.............

Russ

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

To be honest i'm not too bothered if new discoveries aren't being introduced to the scene regularly. It seems to me there are still hundreds, if not thousands, i still haven't heard and are 'new to my ears' and after hearing positive comments at Move On from people who've been on the scene for decades it always reminds me that nobody has heard everything and there is still something new to hear, it doesn't matter who you are. In the last sixteen months of running an underplayed night i reckon i've heard more stuff i'd never heard before from guest DJs (and residents like Adam, Killa and Fingers) than maybe even in the last thirty years.

Still lots out there already discovered but rarely played out. Unfortunately sad.gif

Social source share

Guest Perry

Best Russ

Hiya Russ, how you doing mate?. Living in Kings Lynn I used to go to Johns place weekly, but in my experience he would'nt let you go through his stuff, only usually get stuff off the list. Sometimes, if you caught him in a good mood, he'd play you some recommendations, but not often!. Then again i 'spose it depended how much money you had to spend.

Social source share

Hiya Russ, how you doing mate?. Living in Kings Lynn I used to go to Johns place weekly, but in my experience he would'nt let you go through his stuff, only usually get stuff off the list. Sometimes, if you caught him in a good mood, he'd play you some recommendations, but not often!. Then again i 'spose it depended how much money you had to spend.

That makes me feel a bit better Perry, hope your well mate, PM me if you got any nice bits for sale wink.gif.

ATB Russ

Social source share

Hi Russ & Perry,

I have fond memories (and nightmares:D) of my trip to John's place not long before emigrating to Japan. I was going there to pick up a couple of acetates (inc. an interesting Jimmy Radcliffe 10") and ended up spending the entire day playing LOTS of acetates! John just kept coming in the room with more and more boxes of acetates...incredible! Needless to say I eventually left with a big smile on my face, but listening to his record hunting exploits and thumbing through his AWESOME UK label collection was just as fascinating as the discs I purchased. A top bloke and THE man for discs...and supplier of many a fine side to Searling, Fenn and Butch across the decades.

:lol:

(Also want to add a nod of respect to ALL fellow collectors worldwide, seeking out something new to listen to, be it known already or not.)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!