• Replies 35
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This is the lamest shill I've ever seen, give it up already

Yes does sound like someone trying to hype their own or a friends auction:no:

If your so interested in this, why not wait until the auction is over, then everyone can discuss it with a value attached.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

OK, now it's closed at $635. A nice 45 from Memnphis, I have a copy, really like the 'You mean everything to me' B side, has that nice southern gentle floating sound. Played it at Bamberg to a good response.

Think it is a hard to find 45, only ever found the one copy I have in all my trips to Memphis.

Dave

Social source share

Guest Dante

And I thought $95 was too much. Pretty average in my opinion.

Agree with Mr. Thorley, always best to wait till the auction is over to discuss a record. Specially if it's unknown.

Social source share

And I thought $95 was too much. Pretty average in my opinion.

Agree with Mr. Thorley, always best to wait till the auction is over to discuss a record. Specially if it's unknown.

or at least come up with a better line if you are shilling it and want people to see it, especially if you're gonna be like "my $50 bid won't win it!" If you wanted to win it, why did you come out on a public forum and post before it was at $50 then?

I agree with Dave on the rarity though, I haven't seen this before. Not exactly my sound so it could have slipped under my radar, as it's not like a straight group record (does have a group on it though). I think more copies might come out but it won't prove to be common.

Social source share

or at least come up with a better line if you are shilling it and want people to see it, especially if you're gonna be like "my $50 bid won't win it!" If you wanted to win it, why did you come out on a public forum and post before it was at $50 then?

I agree with Dave on the rarity though, I haven't seen this before. Not exactly my sound so it could have slipped under my radar, as it's not like a straight group record (does have a group on it though). I think more copies might come out but it won't prove to be common.

I just listened to this again, I actually really like the b-side despite the weak group. I don't understand northern enough to understand how it works played out though, it doesn't sound very danceable and the rhythm section is very subdued. The a-side is very funky, I could see that being played but I guess you guys are saying that's not the side people want to hear.

Social source share

Guest Dante

I just listened to this again, I actually really like the b-side despite the weak group. I don't understand northern enough to understand how it works played out though, it doesn't sound very danceable and the rhythm section is very subdued. The a-side is very funky, I could see that being played but I guess you guys are saying that's not the side people want to hear.

Yeah, it's a grower. The vocal is pretty weak, though.

I think this is a perfect example of a crossover record, messy, soulful, hard to dance (at first glance). But it does work out...

Social source share

Guest Dante

Just noticed it's from 1981!

I'd have guessed ten years earlier, judging it by the crossover side. Even the funk side sounds earlier than that.

Social source share

If Mr 'InvestInSoul' only contribution is to hype the sale of records, then fine but do it in the sales section, thats what it's for.

As Memphis is his home town, go out and talk to the artists there and bring back some interesting information that will enlighten us all. Or is he another one that thinks we're all suckers over here that can be used to line his pockets. Bob is a good case in reverse of not always getting what happens over here, but his contribution is immense to the body of knowledge on soul music.

Record buying and selling is a key part of our scene, but 'InvestInSoul' is not the B all and end all, wheres the love of the music in any of his contributions to this site so far.

Anyway rant over. Back to the record, the B side does fit into that nice layed back southern sound, loved by many, but missed by others. The list is a long one of records with that sound that are highly prized by southern collectors, but leaving others cold. Me I like it, thats why I have kept it all these years and as I said, when played out does get appreciated by the dance floor.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest rosies dad

i'm finding the "shill" aspect of this thread more interesting than the record itself..haha.

i havent bought a record off of ebay in a long time, so i sometimes forget about the things people will do to hype up a record for sale.

i wouldnt have caught on to the shill had it not been pointed out.. interesting.

jacob

Social source share

Guest wrighty

The a-side is very funky, I could see that being played but I guess you guys are saying that's not the side people want to hear.

i thought the a side was nice after first listen and had a decent snipe in (more than it went for anyway), after listening all the way through tho i decided it dragged pretty badly and slashed the snipe right down so i was less likely to win it...which i didnt obviously rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

If Mr 'InvestInSoul' only contribution is to hype the sale of records, then fine but do it in the sales section, thats what it's for.

As Memphis is his home town, go out and talk to the artists there and bring back some interesting information that will enlighten us all. Or is he another one that thinks we're all suckers over here that can be used to line his pockets. Bob is a good case in reverse of not always getting what happens over here, but his contribution is immense to the body of knowledge on soul music.

Record buying and selling is a key part of our scene, but 'InvestInSoul' is not the B all and end all, wheres the love of the music in any of his contributions to this site so far.

Anyway rant over. Back to the record, the B side does fit into that nice layed back southern sound, loved by many, but missed by others. The list is a long one of records with that sound that are highly prized by southern collectors, but leaving others cold. Me I like it, thats why I have kept it all these years and as I said, when played out does get appreciated by the dance floor.

Dave, I believe there are gradually more and more folks coming around to the southern soul sound. Myself, I'm enjoying picking up on tracks that I stupidly ignored in my more "Northern" years. Not knocking "Northern" at all, there are some great, great records and was a major part of my life but my "feel" for music nowadays and what "does it" for me is the southern kinda sound. Tastes are so diverse nowadays and like you say, not everyone gets it. For some inexpicable reason something about a particular genre or sub-genre just hits the spot one day whereas it never did before. In fact since I got both the southern and deep soul bug I very rarely listen to anything else nowadays. What kicked me off was listening to Clarence Carter "Slip Away". Heard it so many times before but one day I actually "listened" to it both the vocal and the backing and it just blew me away. Instead of being progressive I find I'm now being a little regressive and catching up on stuff I shouldn't have ignored all those years ago.

Good records are good records whatever the genre and always will be as the records don't change, just our individual tastes I suppose.

Northern, what's that

Southern is where it's at

I'll put me tin hat on wink.gif

Social source share

Dave, I believe there are gradually more and more folks coming around to the southern soul sound. Myself, I'm enjoying picking up on tracks that I stupidly ignored in my more "Northern" years. Not knocking "Northern" at all, there are some great, great records and was a major part of my life but my "feel" for music nowadays and what "does it" for me is the southern kinda sound. Tastes are so diverse nowadays and like you say, not everyone gets it. For some inexpicable reason something about a particular genre or sub-genre just hits the spot one day whereas it never did before. In fact since I got both the southern and deep soul bug I very rarely listen to anything else nowadays. What kicked me off was listening to Clarence Carter "Slip Away". Heard it so many times before but one day I actually "listened" to it both the vocal and the backing and it just blew me away. Instead of being progressive I find I'm now being a little regressive and catching up on stuff I shouldn't have ignored all those years ago.

Good records are good records whatever the genre and always will be as the records don't change, just our individual tastes I suppose.

Northern, what's that

Southern is where it's at

I'll put me tin hat on :hatsoff2:

No tin hat needed, I think like many of us your just getting older, like a good wine, maturing;)

Can't beat good soul music, when ever and where ever it's source.

Dave

Social source share

OK, now it's closed at $635. A nice 45 from Memnphis, I have a copy, really like the 'You mean everything to me' B side, has that nice southern gentle floating sound. Played it at Bamberg to a good response.

Think it is a hard to find 45, only ever found the one copy I have in all my trips to Memphis.

Dave

I think it's one of the best things ive heard in ages gonna be a big tune the backing just bubbles along nicely ,

all for the cost of a corey blake someone has got a right result for a genuine rarity yes.gif

Social source share

i'm finding the "shill" aspect of this thread more interesting than the record itself..haha.

i havent bought a record off of ebay in a long time, so i sometimes forget about the things people will do to hype up a record for sale.

i wouldnt have caught on to the shill had it not been pointed out.. interesting.

jacob

i had seen the record on ebay and put a snipe bid on it then half hour later came on here and invest in soul had possted his thread i new straight away it was dodgy just trying to bull it up, didnt know the record before i saw it but i would not have gone that high anyway.

as has been pointed out by dave and others he only came on try to bump the sale price up, not been seen since.

mark

Social source share

I think it's one of the best things ive heard in ages gonna be a big tune the backing just bubbles along nicely ,

all for the cost of a corey blake someone has got a right result for a genuine rarity yes.gif

I was asking an honest question when i said I liked the record but didn't understand the record being played. Would you dance to it?

Social source share

I was asking an honest question when i said I liked the record but didn't understand the record being played. Would you dance to it?

The rhythm guitar playing has that kind of feel I associate with the shuffling, midtempo southern soul that has sometimes found a place on the UK Northern scene from time to time (think of records like Imperial Cs "Someone Tell Her", Eddie Giles "Losing Boy", O.V. Wright "Poor Boy", Robert Parker "Caught You In A Lie" etc.)

This wouldn't have sounded terribly out of place at Stafford.

To me its biggest downfall as a record is that the vocal isn't all that strong. Also at over four minutes in duration it's a bit too long. Had it been recorded ten years earlier than 1981 it would have been a better record for my own tastes: better drum sound etc.

Like I said above the final price was a bit of a shock: who knows if shilling went on in the auction but someone had a high enough snipe on it to take it over $600. Only time will tell if that was way over the top.

Social source share

The rhythm guitar playing has that kind of feel I associate with the shuffling, midtempo southern soul that has sometimes found a place on the UK Northern scene from time to time (think of records like Imperial Cs "Someone Tell Her", Eddie Giles "Losing Boy", O.V. Wright "Poor Boy", Robert Parker "Caught You In A Lie" etc.)

This wouldn't have sounded terribly out of place at Stafford.

To me its biggest downfall as a record is that the vocal isn't all that strong. Also at over four minutes in duration it's a bit too long. Had it been recorded ten years earlier than 1981 it would have been a better record for my own tastes: better drum sound etc.

Like I said above the final price was a bit of a shock: who knows if shilling went on in the auction but someone had a high enough snipe on it to take it over $600. Only time will tell if that was way over the top.

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. Is there a youtube video where I can see shuffling?

I doubt any fraudulent actual bidding in the real auction which is what made the second bump post silly -- at a certain point an auction ceases to be "underground" and all the high rollers have seen it and it's going to take on whatever value it's going to take on.

Social source share

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. Is there a youtube video where I can see shuffling?

I doubt any fraudulent actual bidding in the real auction which is what made the second bump post silly -- at a certain point an auction ceases to be "underground" and all the high rollers have seen it and it's going to take on whatever value it's going to take on.

Hi Bob

I agree, when a record starts to go out beyond say $100, then there are some, as you call them 'High Rollers' who get in on the bidding, not all of these so much because they even like the record, but have to be seen to own records that are currently hot topics of conversation.

Funny enough when ask and this really has happen to me, I know there Ebay name, they say 'No, I had that for years'

Social source share

Ok...wow this thread has blown up. Firstly, let me say I made a mistake. I never should have posted anything until the auction closed. I really did bid on the piece because it was strange and interesting to me and I only posted this thread after I knew I was not going to bid any higher. I was really curious about what it was and my curiosity should have waiting. I was just perplexed at how I had never heard of this before, being a memphis piece, and figured that someone on here would know more then me. Lesson learned, don't post anything about a current auction, especially if it's an "unknown" piece.

Ok...as far as my love of music goes, I am not going to even address that. I do not think that is a matter even worth defending. It's like telling someone they are "heartless" and then you trying to prove you have a heart. Pointless. I love that at the first sniff of "so called shady shilling" people jump off their rocker and find it a need to attack someone's character. Ok end of my rant. Hope this clears some things up...if not PM me.

Social source share

Guest Dante

Ok...wow this thread has blown up. Firstly, let me say I made a mistake. I never should have posted anything until the auction closed. I really did bid on the piece because it was strange and interesting to me and I only posted this thread after I knew I was not going to bid any higher. I was really curious about what it was and my curiosity should have waiting. I was just perplexed at how I had never heard of this before, being a memphis piece, and figured that someone on here would know more then me. Lesson learned, don't post anything about a current auction, especially if it's an "unknown" piece.

Ok...as far as my love of music goes, I am not going to even address that. I do not think that is a matter even worth defending. It's like telling someone they are "heartless" and then you trying to prove you have a heart. Pointless. I love that at the first sniff of "so called shady shilling" people jump off their rocker and find it a need to attack someone's character. Ok end of my rant. Hope this clears some things up...if not PM me.

I don't think your love of the music was ever put to question. Only the 'hyping a sale for a friend' smell of your post.

Social source share

Welcome to Soul Source and congratulations on a stout defence of you postion;)

Social source share

Guest Dante

Check the 3rd paragraph of post #13.

Always ready to say sorry if I have things wrong, have sent Don a PM to that effect.

Dave

Ok. Topic closed, then?

Social source share

Guest Dante

No I think it's a fab southern record and all you that can't hear that have cloth ears:D

Agree, Dave. I meant the other topic.

Still find the vocals a bit weak. But when has that stopped a record from being popular?

Social source share

this shuffling thing is just something that comes with age bob. you know when you cant throw yourself round the dancefloor like you could 20 /25 years ago because youre pushing 50 and nearly 18 stone lol

dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert