Beres Hammond 'monster"

Guest marco

Guest marco

Sounds like the soul scene equivalent of the stuff Asda pipe over their tannoy while you do your weekly shop to me!

Does anyone else ever get the impression that, for a certain type of modern soul fan at least, a record has to be stripped of any rawness or intensity before they'll feel comfortable with it?

'Soulful' is not a word that springs to mind listening to this sort of thing; insipid, trite, lightweight, anodyne however...

Discuss :hatsoff2:

Edited by marco
Social source share

• Replies 79
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sounds like the soul scene equivalent of the stuff Asda pipe over their tannoy while you do your weekly shop to me!

Does anyone else ever get the impression that, for a certain type of modern soul fan at least, a record has to be stripped of any rawness or intensity before they'll feel comfortable with it?

'Soulful' is not a word that springs to mind listening to this sort of thing; insipid, trite, lightweight, anodyne however...

Discuss ph34r.gif

Have already mentioned this in the topic 'worst of the worst'. I described it as music that makes you want to kill yourself. It's about as appealling as a night in spent watching Go Compare adverts.

Social source share

Guest marco

Have already mentioned this in the topic 'worst of the worst'. I described it as music that makes you want to kill yourself. It's about as appealling as a night in spent watching Go Compare adverts.

Hadn't spotted the "Worst of the worst" thread Pete. But this is so bad I reckon it merits a thread all of it's own anyway no.gif

Social source share

Who would call this Modern, other than a Northern Knobhead, so whats your excuse Mr Santucci? biggrin.gif:thumbsup:

It's just a fairly bland soul/reggae cheesy sing along with Barrington is it not that Northern Knobheads who are trying to be trendy and proving they are "moving on" by liking "modern" that's so old hat not even Boy George would touch it!

At least do a bit more digging on what is Modern before trying to foist the Northern interpretation of it on us chaps!

PS Toad you are exempt from above obviously as you do know real modern, still a bit surprised you like this though!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Who would call this Modern, other than a Northern Knobhead, so whats your excuse Mr Santucci? :D:D

It's just a fairly bland soul/reggae cheesy sing along with Barrington is it not that Northern Knobheads who are trying to be trendy and proving they are "moving on" by liking "modern" that's so old hat not even Boy George would touch it!

At least do a bit more digging on what is Modern before trying to foist the Northern interpretation of it on us chaps!

PS Toad you are exempt from above obviously as you do know real modern, still a bit surprised you like this though!

Actually I secretly like it, too, but I agree 100% with you, Jock, it's crap!laugh.gif:lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

You mean Modern Reggaelaugh.gif

It's the same as with soul - after the original reggae in 1968, that lasted for about 2 years then it started to slow down, then rasta and roots elements came into it and it became dull as far as I was concerened. The only things I can listen to from the 70's are dj's and dub. Because the sound changed so much from the 60's, it meant nothing to me, and thats how it is with soul, or rather, Northern Soul. Come the digital age, the music had moved so far away from it's original roots that I don't even class it as reggae.

Social source share

It's the same as with soul - after the original reggae in 1968, that lasted for about 2 years then it started to slow down, then rasta and roots elements came into it and it became dull as far as I was concerened. The only things I can listen to from the 70's are dj's and dub. Because the sound changed so much from the 60's, it meant nothing to me, and thats how it is with soul, or rather, Northern Soul. Come the digital age, the music had moved so far away from it's original roots that I don't even class it as reggae.

Guess I'm wasting my time reccommending Beres's 'Let's Make A Song' album to you then Pete.

Sort of on topic via the Reggae link played Marcia Aiken - I'm Still In Love at the Morecambe weekender on Friday.

Filled the floor (new thread?).

Got fed up of the Uniques yet fella???

Social source share

Who would call this Modern, other than a Northern Knobhead, so whats your excuse Mr Santucci? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hey Jock..Missed you on here..It's good to have your silver tongue back on again mate..hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Guess I'm wasting my time reccommending Beres's 'Let's Make A Song' album to you then Pete.

Sort of on topic via the Reggae link played Marcia Aiken - I'm Still In Love at the Morecambe weekender on Friday.

No, never.

I lioke that Marcia Aitken record as well, was playing it in the car yesterday actually, the extended one where it goes into 3 Piece Suit.

Social source share

Sorry, didn't realise you were in charge of what we are allowed to say, I'll ask your permission next time

wasnt aimed at you but in general theres lots of negative postings after a while it becomes boring and repedative !

Social source share

Hey Jock..Missed you on here..It's good to have your silver tongue back on again mate..hatsoff2.gif

Just trying to bait Marco into losing his normal mild mannered self and do some verbal jousting, even goaded him by text but he has just ignored me, as most people do when I rant, and, eh, stayed mild mannered and gone and done something more worthwhile and interesting it looks like!

Off to start on Val now see if I have any more luck there!

I like it

You are obviously just a Northern Knobhead, not matter how far South you now live!

PS Please dont tell Elaine I am calling you names!

PPS Didnt I put you onto that Aretha Franklin track in the cheapie thread.

PPPS Can you tell I am bored at work today!

Actually I secretly like it, too, but I agree 100% with you, Jock, it's crap!laugh.gif:lol::thumbsup:

Your record will be winging its way down to you on Saturday, so you can ungrit your teeth soon! :D:D

To be honest I dont particularly dislike it, its just a bit bland and the sort of crossover record that the Northern rooms adopt and therefore everyone assumes its modern which sort of annoys me, however I now realise I have too much time on my hands today and need to do something more positive with my life (Sorry Toad!)

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Discuss ph34r.gif

I've always quite liked it, though it could never be classed as a groundbreaking monster. And how would you know what they play in Asda Mr Santucci? Your Ferrari would be up on bricks in the car park before you'd even got past the George clothing aisle laugh.gif

Tee x

Social source share

Guest marco

Who would call this Modern, other than a Northern Knobhead, so whats your excuse Mr Santucci? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ahh... there he is! Hello darlin'!

Far be it for me to deign to tell you what a modern soul record is, James. If you read carefully I don't call this modern at all, I just refer to "a certain type of modern soul fan" (does he exist? is he the same as your 'Northern Knobhead'?)

This isn't meant to be a dig at 'modern' in general, just at a particularly shite record that I've seen hyped up as a 'modern monster' recently.

I like good 70s guv, honest!

Will we be seeing you and Diane in Cortona in June or what?

Social source share

Guest marco

Just trying to bait Marco into losing his normal mild mannered self and do some verbal jousting, even goaded him by text but he has just ignored me, as most people do when I rant, and, eh, stayed mild mannered and gone and done something more worthwhile and interesting it looks like!

No Jock - just found your text. I've just been busy WORKING. You been made redundant or something?

Anyway... why are you arguing when you know it's shite, you t%*t? Bored are we?

Social source share

'Northern Knobhead'...........now I'm hurt :angry:

Don't know who called it a monster!.....it's what I call an inoffensive record......surely you can't be that offended by it Marco? you shrinking violet you :wicked: see you soon love to Elaine x

and don't get me started with you Jock or I'll tell Diane to chew yer knackers off :ranting_1:

Social source share

Ahh... there he is! Hello darlin'!

Far be it for me to deign to tell you what a modern soul record is, James. If you read carefully I don't call this modern at all, I just refer to "a certain type of modern soul fan" (does he exist? is he the same as your 'Northern Knobhead'?)

This isn't meant to be a dig at 'modern' in general, just at a particularly shite record that I've seen hyped up as a 'modern monster' recently.

I like good 70s guv, honest!

Will we be seeing you and Diane in Cortona in June or what?

Just because you are right doesnt mean I wont argue with you, you should know that by now!!

And yes good point, the Modern Knobhead exists and is often the same creature as the Northern Knobhead, sort of means we are agreeing now. No offence to anyone meant of course, its just my opinion and no Knobheads were hurt in the process of me making my opinion!

99% yes re Cortona, just need to confirm one thing at work first, i.e. will I still have a job! I will give you a call over weekend.

No Jock - just found your text. I've just been busy WORKING. You been made redundant or something?

Anyway... why are you arguing when you know it's shite, you t%*t? Bored are we?

No not yet, and since I employ myself even I am not daft enough to make myself redundant, but yes a little quiet in the office and a little bit bored and cheesed off so some mischief making was the order of the day! Not that it worked obviously, Diane has been giving everyone tips on how to ignore my prattling!

'Northern Knobhead'...........now I'm hurt :angry:

Don't know who called it a monster!.....it's what I call an inoffensive record......surely you can't be that offended by it Marco? you shrinking violet you :wicked: see you soon love to Elaine x

and don't get me started with you Jock or I'll tell Diane to chew yer knackers off :ranting_1:

Aww you know I was only playing, you know I love you really, especially when you give me records, oh well at least you bit and made my day, I suppose enough getting paid for playing on here, off home to listen to some real Modern music....................

Edited by jocko
Social source share

'Northern Knobhead'...........now I'm hurt angry.gif

Don't know who called it a monster!.....it's what I call an inoffensive record......surely you can't be that offended by it Marco? you shrinking violet you wicked.gif see you soon love to Elaine x

and don't get me started with you Jock or I'll tell Diane to chew yer knackers off ranting_1.gif

Bland record....used to do the jazz rooms in Southport and wander into the soul room where this stuff was being played by the bucketload by Richard S, Curtis,Yogi Haughton, Woodcliffe etc.Used to leave after 20 mins.Think they called it 2 step but it made me want to goose step.....out the door.Nearest I get to liking this sort of stuff is Rena Scott-We Can Make It Better

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Guest marco

Its a nice little ditty, and if there were only half dozen found on 45 evryone would want one!

Psmile.gif

well... everyone bar me and mi mates that is (except Val, who's obviously suffering from overwork or personal problems of some kind at the moment):D

Social source share

Guest marco

I've always quite liked it,

And to think I always had you down as a girl with taste, Teresa... tut, tut...

Social source share

Bland record....used to do the jazz rooms in Southport and wander into the soul room where this stuff was being played by the bucketload by Richard S, Curtis,Yogi Haughton, Woodcliffe etc.Used to leave after 20 mins.Think they called it 2 step but it made me want to goose step.....out the door.Nearest I get to liking this sort of stuff is Rena Scott-We Can Make It Better

You'd never hear Yogi play crap like that..

FFS that's not 2step ya fckn idjut :D

Social source share

Thats a brilliant record (Rena Scott) agree though this particular Berres track is GOD Awful... why, and I don't know why, it reminds me of all that leon Haywood stuff on Eve Jim, thats Bloody awful an'all....

Mal.Vohmy.gif

Social source share

Why has this record become popular again all of a sudden. It's over 25 years old for a start and has had its day in the sun at least twice already. It even came out on the Village Soul CD six years ago. Hardly a new modern monster. However, I quite like it and think it's pretty good. Much better than the Jacqueline Williams version - now that would wind some of you up lol.biggrin.gif

Edited by daved
Social source share

Yeah but I don't like any reggae after 1970 :rolleyes:

you should have guessed that!

I don't like any reggae at all. It's all shit.

This record's only being hyped by Lee Jeffries on rarenorthernsoul.com anyway to generate sales isn't it? Same as that Lisa Stansfield 831 was hyped as something along the lines of 'the biggest modern soul dancer ever', which surprisingly enough was met with some mild amusement by a few of us 'Modern Knobheads'. laugh.gif

The Beres Hammond is pretty good imvho but one of those records which is the aural equivalent of eating a chinese meal.

Roger

Social source share

I don't like any reggae at all. It's all shit.

Don't say that Roger. It's all I seem to be able to get folks to dance to lately!!!

This record's only being hyped by Lee Jeffries on rarenorthernsoul.com anyway to generate sales isn't it? Same as that Lisa Stansfield 831 was hyped as something along the lines of 'the biggest modern soul dancer ever', which surprisingly enough was met with some mild amusement by a few of us 'Modern Knobheads'. laugh.gif

Guess you can add Mousse T, Tortured Soul. Gwen McRae etc to that list. 7" vinyl mentalitywhistling.gif

The Beres Hammond is pretty good imvho but one of those records which is the aural equivalent of eating a chinese meal.

laugh.gifGreat description.

Roger

Social source share

And to think I always had you down as a girl with taste, Teresa... tut, tut...

Impeccable taste in music and the finer things in life as you know Marco, it's just those pesky men that I always f**k up on laugh.gif

Re the Beres Hammond, if I was already on the floor I'd certainly stay on it, but if I was sitting, I wouldn't rush to dance to it. Really can't see it being anyone's passion, but it's perfectly inoffensive.

And I won't hear a word against little Lee Jeffries either - the boy once said I was even more beautiful without make-up, he knows quality when he sees it biggrin.gif

Social source share

Who would call this Modern, other than a Northern Knobhead, so whats your excuse Mr Santucci? :hatsoff2::thumbsup:

Modern developed from the modern soul records that where played on the Northern Scene in the 70's/80's.

Modern is a child of Northern Soul!

Social source share

Modern developed from the modern soul records that where played on the Northern Scene in the 70's/80's.

Modern is a child of Northern Soul!

Wrong.. It's all the same. It's just Northern Soul fans like you have no idea about the evolution of your own music.

Social source share

Guest just mo

I'll second your recommendation for 'Let's Make A Song' Martin!! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Who would call this Modern, other than a Northern Knobhead, so whats your excuse Mr Santucci? :hatsoff2::D

Music Snobhead!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!