Eureka! I've Just Had One Of Those Light Bulb Moments

im no technical boffin so i don't really know if this could work or not but how about an area of soul source purely for sales that remains there indefinately, in other words similar to gemm. The main difference being that it would be full of soul 45s and not trillions of crap records that nobody on here would be interested in. It would be simple, sellers could upload there records and when they sell simply remove them and then buyers looking for a record would simply type the track they're after into the search engine and hey presto! there will be a list of that 45 available from different sellers at different prices!

have i had 1 too many beers or is this genuinely a good idea?yes.gif

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

im no technical boffin so i don't really know if this could work or not but how about an area of soul source purely for sales that remains there indefinately, in other words similar to gemm. The main difference being that it would be full of soul 45s and not trillions of crap records that nobody on here would be interested in. It would be simple, sellers could upload there records and when they sell simply remove them and then buyers looking for a record would simply type the track they're after into the search engine and hey presto! there will be a list of that 45 available from different sellers at different prices!

have i had 1 too many beers or is this genuinely a good idea?yes.gif

I like it!

Social source share

Give the man a break, don't you think he's got enough on running the site as it is without adding a whole new section and the software/bandwith to run it?

Suppose the refosoul posting and searching method could be used - everyting the same but instead of mp3s, it's optional jpgs we would upload. - sort of a RefoSale.

As to notifications, maybe something similar to the PM's we use.

It sounds like a good idea, but as pikeys dog says, it's a brand new section to maintain, and Mike has enough on his plate with the many aspects of the site as it now.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northernsoulrecords.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

good idea in principle but a massive build technically and expensive maintanence wise so would guess sellers fees may have to be applied to offset that cost.

People can search for key words (e.g artist name) in sales already. If someone's got that tune for sale, a simple PM will find out whether it's available or not.

Also, sellers can do the same on the wants section.

At the end of the day, selling on here is free from fees so why change it? It is afterall a soul forum, with bonus functionality of a market place

Azza

Social source share

good idea in principle but a massive build technically and expensive maintanence wise so would guess sellers fees may have to be applied to offset that cost.

People can search for key words (e.g artist name) in sales already. If someone's got that tune for sale, a simple PM will find out whether it's available or not.

Also, sellers can do the same on the wants section.

At the end of the day, selling on here is free from fees so why change it? It is afterall a soul forum, with bonus functionality of a market place

Azza

Your sales only stay at the top of the pile until the next sales advert goes up, that's always been a problem. Sometimes it can be an hour or two, sometimes it can be one minute.

Social source share

Guest Dante

Suppose the refosoul posting and searching method could be used - everyting the same but instead of mp3s, it's optional jpgs we would upload. - sort of a RefoSale.

As to notifications, maybe something similar to the PM's we use.

It sounds like a good idea, but as pikeys dog says, it's a brand new section to maintain, and Mike has enough on his plate with the many aspects of the site as it now.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northernsoulrecords.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

I totally forgot about that! Problem solved.

Every refosoul clip has two options: Available & Wanted. If you've got it for sale, click Available and everyone will see it. It'll show 1 available - view. If you click it, it shows who's got it and when he flagged it. You can even send him a PM from there. Same with wants.

There are still features on the site that not everyone knows / uses: reputation, SoulMap, comments in profile for feedback, etc...

Social source share

If it ain't broke ...

Doesn't really matter too much about sales threads dropping. If I posted 'Arthur Willis'... Hits would be through the roof. Meaning desirable records sell quicker than stodge and don't moan that uninteresting sales threads drop with few views..

Social source share

Every refosoul clip has two options: Available & Wanted. If you've got it for sale, click Available and everyone will see it. It'll show 1 available - view. If you click it, it shows who's got it and when he flagged it. You can even send him a PM from there. Same with wants.

There are still features on the site that not everyone knows / uses: reputation, SoulMap, comments in profile for feedback, etc...

As noted the guts of a viable system is there already with the Wants/Available feature on Refo now.

To make it more effective for sellers and buyers, could a search feature be pinned to both the Sales and Wants sections i.e. artist, title, label seach which then brings back data already held in Refo. The format of the form returned could be different to Refo so as to be more sales/buying oriented with all those records available from whom and those records wanted by whom displayed with an option to view further info and the option to play a sound file (doesn't have to be the one for sale to prevent replication as grading / feedback can take care of quality control) so people can use it to discover new sounds and then purchase if available.

Just a first thought and would make use of what is already there.

Regards

Greg.

Edited by ClearVinyl
Social source share

thumbsup.gif You're absolutely right - all this already exists. I didn't want to piss on anyone's chips while you were all getting excited though.

I've seen quite a few in the sales section that when I've gone to refosoul for a listen are shown as "wanted", and I've only ever had one PM

follow up to a posted want of my own - so yes, it's obvious that not everyone is aware of the feature.

I guess I'm gonna have to check and remove any old wants now before I get loads of PM's wink.gif

- Kev

Social source share

Guest Dante

As noted the guts of a viable system is there already with the Wants/Available feature on Refo now.

To make it more effective for sellers and buyers, could a search feature be pinned to both the Sales and Wants sections i.e. artist, title, label seach which then brings back data already held in Refo. The format of the form returned could be different to Refo so as to be more sales/buying oriented with all those records available from whom and those records wanted by whom displayed with an option to view further info and the option to play a sound file (doesn't have to be the one for sale to prevent replication as grading / feedback can take care of quality control) so people can use it to discover new sounds and then purchase if available.

Just a first thought and would make use of what is already there.

Regards

Greg.

I didn't understand a word of that. Probably because it's 4:00 AM down here huh.gif I'll give it another try in the morning...

But I suppose once someone finds an available tune in Refo a PM to the seller will sort the details: grading, scan, soundclip of the copy for sale, etc.

Off to bed, now.

Edited by Dante
Social source share

If it ain't broke ...

Doesn't really matter too much about sales threads dropping. If I posted 'Arthur Willis'... Hits would be through the roof. Meaning desirable records sell quicker than stodge and don't moan that uninteresting sales threads drop with few views..

Yeah it does, and I'll tell you why, and it's something that bugs me more than anything on here.

Person psosts a list of say 10 records. After a while, he sells one, so instead of editing his original post and putting SOLD next to it, he makes a fresh post saying 'so and so record is sold', like it's a f*cking important announcement that we should all know about. This happens every time he sells a record, and consequently every time he sells a record, he goes back to the top.

This should be moderated and stopped.

Social source share

Agreed.

Maybe make a ruling - edits only once you start a sales thread. Obviously people can ask questions etc and that'll bump it, but shameless & pointless bumps should be punishable by thread removal.

Social source share

vince,

good suggestion and looking at it, may be a few issues

pete

nah

the reply doesn't go to the top

the sorting order is different in sales than the bog standard order

if a member posts a reply it doesn't affect the order of sales listing

the latest thread stays at the top thumbsup.gif

the latest reply does show on the front page (can and will change that once sussed best way ) and the new posts (can't change but is meant to display such)

Social source share

Yeah it does, and I'll tell you why, and it's something that bugs me more than anything on here.

Person psosts a list of say 10 records. After a while, he sells one, so instead of editing his original post and putting SOLD next to it, he makes a fresh post saying 'so and so record is sold', like it's a f*cking important announcement that we should all know about. This happens every time he sells a record, and consequently every time he sells a record, he goes back to the top.

bumping of threads in sales has been stopped now so even if said person adds a reply to their own thread saying 'x is now sold' it doesnt push up to the top anymore.

Although i could be completely wrong on that?

I think the original post was about a search functionality, based more around listing tunes individually as a seller so a buyer can find the track they want and choose who to buy it from. Personally, i think that's a good idea, but ultimately everything about the idea already exists within this site.

Social source share

ideally, maybe you should be allowed just the one posting in a sales topic, after initial posting it is locked automatically, only thing you can do is edit your initial post? that would stop the bumping and everyone would be equal. Personally don't think bumping improves the sales, those interested in buying will look at all the posts.

Maybe an automatic delete of the topic after a month or two???

I would also ban sellers form listing three records in three separate topics, put them all in one. Doesn't matter how big the record it will still get viewed.

PS. oops just seen Simsy's post! I would only allow a genuine question, condition etc, The "pm'ed you" and "pm'ed you back" posts are the most pointless of the lot :rolleyes:

Social source share

was just going to post bout this as it does do what the thread is about

idea is that if you got "long term" sales you can use this for such

its a one click flag thing

and it is improved in the "new/revamped" refosoul

but here's the old one

wants

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/more/wants

sales/avails

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/more/avails

dont use it now as all refosoul features are frozen til teh new one comes ito play (very soon)

Social source share

Mike's got his hands full keeping all you girls from pulling each others hair out most of the time.... :D ....

Any idea put forward is good though... I am sure the boss will be along soon to give you the lowdown....

He aint got fu"k all else to do :rolleyes: ...

Be off with you, I'm still feeling sick after that horrendous elephant man link you sent me, that was REAL not fake!

Social source share

up to my ears in other stuff

but re-reading thread

just add

while refosoul wants/avail could be suited for "long term" sales

would/is there be a demand for a sort of more formal classifed ads section

or even a members shop feature - ie each member has own shop

its all doable - just really a case of is there demand and would it get used ?

Social source share

up to my ears in other stuff

but re-reading thread

just add

while refosoul wants/avail could be suited for "long term" sales

would/is there be a demand for a sort of more formal classifed ads section

or even a members shop feature - ie each member has own shop

its all doable - just really a case of is there demand and would it get used ?

each members own shop... sounds like a great idea, what do others think??/

Social source share

Wont the capacity get filled up with lots of unsaleable crap records that nobody wants? the sort of things every dealer has got lots of copies of/garages full of.

Or the equally unsaleable 'over priced by a margin of 30-50% rare originals'?

Am I wrong in thinking the reason records don't sell is

a) there's no interest in /demand for this 45,

b) people don't want to pay the price asked as they feel it's too high/double the price they saw one in a venue for,

c) collectors don't have the money, and by the time they do get some more money they've moved on to chasing some other tune.

d) they are badly advertised

Only rare records or high demand records are difficult to locate in the present climate and I for one dont imagine this long term sales listing would contain many records of that calibre, or am I wrong? If you are talking about breaking up a collection then in principle this sounds ideal, but wont the cream get taken at the start and the stuff thats left is just plain unwanted? (until Butch or somebody of that ilk starts playing it :-)

My pet hate on ebay is how it's swamped with boots which are not described as such, what would stop this site suffering the same fate and then the seller turns around later and says " Oh sorry, I didn't know"? I'm not against selling boots and reissues, just make sure they go in a section clearly marked as such, and punish anybody who lists boots as originals with a long term suspension.

It would be much better for the scene if as well as long term listing the dealers chucked these records in a box and took them to venues to sell, marked them up for the prices they are likely to sell at instead of asking 50 quid for something you'd see in Des's box for a tenner ( not picking Des out, it's just he does seem to price records to sell them unlike some who don't imho) Mail order sales are fab, but you cant beat being able to see it and better still play it before you buy ( and flip it over for 20 seconds of that side, just in case we've all missed a potential monster ! )

If this is adopted could it be like Amazon where it say something like " 10 available at prices from £3 to £300"?

p.s. I think I'm an average collector, maybe 3-10 records a week average, how many have I bought via Gemm ? None. Not One. Overpriced and Undesirable imho. They should rename it..... I could think of a few suggestions.... Gem indeed......

Social source share

You can add as many replies to your original post it doesn't go anywhere, the bumping of list was stopped a long time ago, why do you think it's still happening, strange lot as most of you seem to be on here regular can't see why you can't see it for yourself that it doesn't happen.

Social source share

You can add as many replies to your original post it doesn't go anywhere, the bumping of list was stopped a long time ago, why do you think it's still happening, strange lot as most of you seem to be on here regular can't see why you can't see it for yourself that it doesn't happen.

each reply shows on the front page, that is probably why they bump topics

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!