Guest POTTERIESPECK

• Replies 71
  • Views 23.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

. Great to see the old photographs of Town Road, up from and on the opposite side to The Roman Candle. The small record shop you're talking about was owned by a guy called Derek, who looked liked Mick Fleetwood when he had hair. The shop sold all kinds of music as well as some soul. Soulie Tanya Rich worked there for a while during 1976 into 77. The place later closed and sold off nearly all of it's soul for 10p a disc. As it was bargain basement time, I remember buying 6 copies of The Younghearts - A little togetherness amongst others.

Have you still got em Dave lol

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

. He was a much younger version of that photo of Mick, as he could still get a rise whenever a bird in a short skirt walked in the shop.

. Yeah not Keith. But you know what! I'm not sure about this? I vaguely remember Phil Oliver selling records in Hanley and I think it might have been from that shop before Derek took over?

. My memory isn't that good these days. Phil is but a very far distant memory, from a time when he was really young, I can recall his homophobic elder brother shrugging him off for his affectionate tendancies.

. I remember well a period of time when he D.J.ed at a youth club and then later at a hotel in Bircheshead. But I don't ever remember ever seeing him out and around at a proper Northern night. There again there were alot of people at places like The Rank and it's easy to miss folk.

. I believe he's dead now?

You're right, Phil is sadly no longer with us.The record shop i remember him running in Hanley was Sundown Records in Piccadilly Arcade.

post-5802-1276009747925_thumb.jpg

Social source share

. He was a much younger version of that photo of Mick, as he could still get a rise whenever a bird in a short skirt walked in the shop.

. Yeah not Keith. But you know what! I'm not sure about this? I vaguely remember Phil Oliver selling records in Hanley and I think it might have been from that shop before Derek took over?

. My memory isn't that good these days. Phil is but a very far distant memory, from a time when he was really young, I can recall his homophobic elder brother shrugging him off for his affectionate tendancies.

. I remember well a period of time when he D.J.ed at a youth club and then later at a hotel in Bircheshead. But I don't ever remember ever seeing him out and around at a proper Northern night. There again there were alot of people at places like The Rank and it's easy to miss folk.

As far as I know Derek owned it & Phil was the manager. Some people have said this was before he was at the Arcade shop & others have said it was after, I would have said before but my memorys not that good.

Yeah he used to run a northern night at The Birches Head Hotel, I remember seeing an advert for it in an old Blues & Soul. Before my time though, around about 72 -73 I think.

I've been at Wigan a couple of times when he was there, and also Yate at least once, but you're right, he wasn't properly on the northern scene, at least during the time I knew him.

When Phil died a few years ago we had a memorial do for him & Derek turned up for that, he wasn't well at the time, not sure if he's still with us himself.

Social source share

if it was not Keiths shop he was behind the counter sometimes as I can deffo remember buying Five and a Penny on UK polydor from him in there. Which would be around 1977.

Bought most of 45's those days from Sundown in the arcade and a hairdressers in Newcastle !!!! Plus the Music shop in Newcastle.

David

Apparently Tim Ashibende used to sell records from a back room at the Town Road shop, Keith may have done the same but unless his memory's gone he didn't have owt to do with it officially.

Social source share

Photo taken at Phil's memorial do

post-3743-12760151548208_thumb.jpg

Edited by CRUMB
Social source share

Regards to all. Name Terry from Cheltenham, now in Oxfordshire. Did usual gigs. Loved Hanley alldayers. Main gigs for me were Cats, Mecca, Va Va's, Torch and of course Wigan, although for me and from what I now understand from others I since met on my return to the scene ten years ago. A lot left the scene between 73 and 75. The latter being when I left. Usual thing. marrage, kids and a spell in the services (RAF).

Anyhoo. Used the coaches in 73, but before then it was the proverbial thumb was used for the many miles to gigs up north for us poor southerners.

Started for me when still at school. Funny thing is, learned only a couple of years ago, that while in third and forth years of senior school. Fridays and Mondays mates left me alone. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday was fine. Because Friday on way up and Monday on way down...

However love the scene just as I did as a kid.

Sorry no claims to fame, just went to dance the nite away... At any gig...

Regards

Tezz

Social source share

Guest Dave Mortimore

Photo taken at Phil's memorial do

post-3743-12760151548208_thumb.jpg

. I see Derek on the left and next to him tall Tim, who had a girlfriend named Sharon.

. Now I know who Potteriespeck is from his other attached photograph with a shy Phil. He knew my brother Joe and maybe my other brothers Nicky & Denis.

. They were part of a younger crowd such as Caroline & Yvonne, Doris & Annie, Mary (who went to study Fashion Design in Nottingham), Julie and Sue Bloor. Sue once dated Johnnie Allen. We managed to get her into The Torch one night, although she was very young.

. Of that younger crew, is Paul Charlesley still around? His parents, Cyril & Francis, used to quiz me about his lifestyle. They were worried about what he might have been taking (which was probably down to his connection with T.D. & Co.) and used to check his eyeballs for signs.

. I know Cyril & Francis left to live in The Isle of Man.

Edited by Dave Mortimore
Social source share

. I see Derek on the left and next to him tall Tim, who had a girlfriend named Sharon.

. Now I know who Potteriespeck is from his other attached photograph with a shy Phil. He knew my brother Joe and maybe my other brothers Nicky & Denis.

. They were part of a younger crowd such as Caroline & Yvonne, Doris & Annie, Mary (who went to study Fashion Design in Nottingham), Julie and Sue Bloor. Sue once dated Johnnie Allen. We managed to get her into The Torch one night, although she was very young.

. Of that younger crew, is Paul Charlesley still around? His parents, Cyril & Francis, used to quiz me about his lifestyle. They were worried about what he might have been taking (which was probably down to his connection with T.D. & Co.) and used to check his eyeballs for signs.

Yeah, it's Sharron who took the photo, but she hasn't been with Tim for years. I still see Suzanne Bloor & Carolyn quite often, Yvonne lives abroad, still see Doris & Annie but they're not together anymore, haven't seen Mary for years.

Paul (Pablo) Charlsley lives in Australia, Last saw him about 2 years ago when he was over to see his parents, think they live in Scotland now though. I saw TD recently and amazingly he looked really well.

Social source share

Guest Dave Mortimore

Yeah, it's Sharron who took the photo, but she hasn't been with Tim for years. I still see Suzanne Bloor & Carolyn quite often, Yvonne lives abroad, still see Doris & Annie but they're not together anymore, haven't seen Mary for years.

Paul (Pablo) Charlsley lives in Australia, Last saw him about 2 years ago when he was over to see his parents, think they live in Scotland now though. I saw TD recently and amazingly he looked really well.

. Thanks for the feed-back.hatsoff2.gif

Edited by Dave Mortimore
Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

Are you sure ya know me Dave. The photo shows me to the right of Butch[ green arrow ] at wigan, i can assure you Dave there ain't many photo's of me about.

post-5802-1276193875795_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Dave Mortimore

Are you sure ya know me Dave. The photo shows me to the right of Butch[ green arrow ] at wigan, i can assure you Dave there ain't many photo's of me about.

. Apologies, I wrongly assumed that was you (Tim and hence the mix-up with your username) embrassing Phil wearing a hat in the photograph you posted.

Edited by Dave Mortimore
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Church

Went there once on a coach from Gloucester arranged by Steve Smith - stopped at the Cats on the way up - DS pulled a few people off the coach and searched them. My biggest memory being Martin Ellis (and this one!) completely off his trolley and playing the Hawaii Five-0 soundtrack. Others on the coach were Roy Hyatt (RIP), Melv Clapton, Gibby, Daffy (Paul Daffern - not the duck), Barry Holton (RIP), Terry and Dave Chamberlain, Tony Midwinter, etc......

Social source share

Regards to all. Name Terry from Cheltenham, now in Oxfordshire. Did usual gigs. Loved Hanley alldayers. Main gigs for me were Cats, Mecca, Va Va's, Torch and of course Wigan, although for me and from what I now understand from others I since met on my return to the scene ten years ago. A lot left the scene between 73 and 75. The latter being when I left. Usual thing. marrage, kids and a spell in the services (RAF).

Anyhoo. Used the coaches in 73, but before then it was the proverbial thumb was used for the many miles to gigs up north for us poor southerners.

Started for me when still at school. Funny thing is, learned only a couple of years ago, that while in third and forth years of senior school. Fridays and Mondays mates left me alone. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday was fine. Because Friday on way up and Monday on way down...

However love the scene just as I did as a kid.

Sorry no claims to fame, just went to dance the nite away... At any gig...

Regards

Tezz

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I THINK THE SIXTEEN HOUR ONE WAS THE SUNDAY BEFORE XMAS EVE ON THE MONDAY. MY MATE AND I RAN A COACH FROM GOOLE WHICH WAS STOPPED BY THE SQUAD JUST AS WE ARRIVED. GOT BACK TO GOOLE AT 8 AM JUST IN TIME FOR WORK AND WE THEN MET AT THE STATION PUB IN GOOLE AT LUNCH ON XMAS EVE AND GOT PISSED.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

ThIS WAS THE FIRST MAJOR SOUL VENUE I WENT TO AROUND 1973 -74 AS A 15 YEAR OLD . ID BEEN TO THE LOCAL YOUTH CLUBS AND HEARD MOST OF THE RUN OF MILL OF SOUL MUSIC THAT WAS BEEN PLAYED AND WAS ENCOURAGED BY MY ELDERS TO BROADEN MY HORIZIONS AND VENTURE UP TO THE TOP RANK WHICH WAS A INTERNATIONAL SOUL CLUB PROMOTION. THINK IT WAS A 16 HOUR SOUL FESTIVAL FROM 12 NOON TILL 04.00 AM AND MAJOR LANCE WAS APPEARING. FROM THEM I WAS HOOKED. ONLY BEING A YOUNG'EN THEN BUT WAS THE RANK A MAJOR VENUE IN THE COUNTRY IN THOSE DAYS.

Think I went to a Dayer there circa '73 ? :huh:

Social source share

However, before The Torch did All-Nighters, there were soul nights of a kind being done at The Rank. I remember my girl friend at the time (circa 1970) complaining of a Tuesday night playing too much hard soul and not enough of what she liked, as her tastes ranged from Motown to mid tempo soul like Rescue Me - Fontella Bass.

Once north of the Watford Gap service station pretty much most venues played soul music, shed a etar for us poor soulies who lived in the London area, it was reggae in your jeggie or funk up ja trunk !!! :huh:

Social source share

• 8 years later...
Guest brocky1972

I know it's a bit late to resurrect this thread, but I came across it while searching for information on PHIL OLIVER. I'm writing an article on him - he may not have discussed it, but in his teens he was one of the guys behind the first Doctor Who Fan Club, in the mid- to late-1960s!

I'm very keen to hear the memories of anyone who knew him, particularly Crumb who knew him well enough to organise a memorial do.

Any better photos would be really useful too!

Hope you all can help. Many thanks!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!