Blue Max Rip

Absolutely shocked and devastated by the news that our Max has gone.

Can't over estimate his importance to the soul scene. A true gentleman, always with a smile and a genuine passion for all soul music.

HE WILL BE MISSED.

Our thoughts are with his family and close friends.

R.I.P Max, God bless. xxxxxxxxxx

"Don't walk in front of me,

I may not follow,

"don't walk behind me,

I may not lead:

"Walk beside me and just be my friend".. post-9258-1275250657229_thumb.jpg

Jane & Taf xxxx

post-9258-1275250657229_thumb.jpg

Edited by shaunthesheep
Social source share

Just got the sad news of Max's passing, I am absolutely stunned, We spent many a day in his shop in Wednesfield, and like to think we all gained something from a true gentleman, and class act who was still one of the top DJ's on the circuit. His enthusiasm and his knowledge of soul music was unrivalled. I feel very honoured to have been a friend of such a lovely man. We will miss you Max!! R.I.P my friend

Deepest sympathy to all his family

Brian & Karen Chidley

&

Jackie Phasey

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Having just read this,its knocked me back!

RIP Max another great soulie gone but never forgotten.

Smudge

Social source share

Guest cocopachino

Absolutely stunned and so very, very sorry, he was such a lovely, genuine guy. He was one of the first people I met when I came back into Northern, he made me feel sooo welcome and we became good friends. He was a very special person and I'll miss him. My heart goes out to his family.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Sitting here crying my eyes out a broken man as i have just been informed that Max is no longer with us.

Can't really say anymore at the moment as i need to clear my head.

God bless you Max

will miss you always

So so saddened to hear this.:thumbsup:

Can't believe it at the minute. An absolute great guy. RIP Max. xxx

Social source share

A VERY SAD DAY TODAY,WHEN WE GOT THE CALL TO TELL US OF HIS PASSING,WE WERE BOTH IN UTTER SHOCK.

THE MAN WAS A LEGEND WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT , STUCK FOR WORDS AT THE MOMENT

A FITTING TRIBUTE, THE MAN JUST LOVED HIS SOUL, AND SOME , R.I.P. BLUE MAX .

Social source share

just cant belive it

Max was a legend but also very down to earth,no edge ,sush a nice guy

think of the Cats and Max is the name you think of

Max was like one of the 3 amigos

with kenny onions and john pugh

i just cant think at moment--its so so very sad

a truly magic person---so so sad

soulful forever--keith williams

Social source share

Guest the fifer

A true legend of the scene.

Never heard anyone have a bad word to say about him which says everything about the man.

Condolences to his family and friends

Derek

Social source share

hatsoff2.gifAND KNOW THE END IZ HEAR,

AND I FACE THE FINAL CURTAIN,

I DID WOT I HAD TO DO,

AN TRAVELLED NORTH N EVERY BYE-WAY.

"BUT MORE,YES MORE THAN THIS,FOLKS.

"I DID IT THE MAX MILLWARD WAY.."SOULFULL.

PALS;;; GUTTED BURT-N-TRACEY.XXXXXXsad.gif

Edited by burt weed on
Social source share

Guest Jayne Carter

Absolutely Gutted, so so sad..One of the nicest,if not THE nicest man on the soul scene.

A true gentleman with time for everyone, a pleasure& honour to have known him.

RIP Max..God Bless xx

Social source share

MAX WILL ALWAYS BE "ONE OF THE FIRST - ONE OF THE BEST"

i cut my teeth on northern soul via his record shop, every saturday morning, from 74 onwards through the rest of the decade, buying the latest sounds and taking them to a local youth club and playimg them on a garrard evry tuesday and thursday. the back of the shop was an aladdins cave, full of 25s and 50 boxes andwhen the cats closed, it housed the purple and white perspex sign in almost its entireity ( it was literally ripped off the wall by soulies standing on dustbins in temple street. there were masses of dj boxes out front as well as radios and stereos and tvs. we used to just stand there chewing the fat with every punter and dj who viewed this shop as a mecca. max had his hoppo's mainly sam the ram and johnny green in the early days, they used to send me down to wednesfield market on sat mornings to fetch breakfast sandwiches on my bike ( i was still at school but did a paper round which payed for my records).

ill tell you now about the nosmo king record, max covered it up and it had a brief handwritten essay about the artist being born in southampton but emigating to australia. the first time he unveiled it was at the whispering wheels rollerdrome situated across the road from where the cats stood. this particular night levine was guesting there but before he came on, max spun a set including nosmo king. levine perched himself behind max and he kept turning aside to make notes in a little book, obviously tunes he had not got!....so when it came to nosmo he was grinding his teeth because it was covered up...max showed him the written info and ian must have swallowed the bait, thinking it was real!!.

kev, i didnt know max had sold you his copy of the jewells....barry smith had an emidisc off him of this record but when it got to the 8 sec break the end was edited out....perhaps because max thought people would clear the dance floor thinking it had ended...i remember it at wigan and 1800 soulies had a different take on it...with regimented handclapping!!.

max was probably the first dj to retire and sell his collection which prompted a stampede as in those days it was unheard of and he really did have the cream of the crop and every other known dj chasing them, pep and johnny tryce in particular but i do know that neil bought a substantial amount. in the event of things he simply couldnt turn his back on the scene and started again in a short space of time. see...its like a drug isnt it? it dosnt matter what you do or where you go in life, like richie adams says " i cant escape from you".

the last time i met max, sadly for me, was at paul's ( harpo ) 50th last year....we spend so much time taking it for granted that we will still be around.....well, life kicks you the hardest when you least expect it and this year it has had a devastating effect.

i posted max a few weeks ago about djing at brookfields and he said come along, only bogstandard oldies but everyone had such a good time....and that friends, brothers and sisters, is what max was all about,....always a handshake, cheerful greeting and big grin, always up for a joke and a chinwag about the tunes.

i know ken, claudette and j.p. must be beside theirselves with grief and its something we share tonight....he was, and is, and always will be a part of us, deep inside....he showed us all the ropes. max was "one old dog who you couldnt teach new tricks".....because he knew them all.

THE LAST RECORD PLAYED AT THE CATACOMBS ON THE OCCASION OF THE LAST GRAND ALL-NIGHTER, 13TH JULY 1974, WAS WALTER JACKSON...

......MAX PLAYED IT.....

IT SUMS UP THE DESOLATION FELT NOW.....

" WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE?"

ONE MORE PICKED AND GONE TO HEAVEN.......REST IN PEACE DEAR FRIEND

Social source share

Shell shocked a true legend, a friend Mr Soul West Midlands Blue Max, my partner In 'Goodtimes Soul Club' no longer with us I cant believe it I rang the hospital this morning but they wouldn't tell me anything other than he was still very poorly. Then had the terrible news earlier this afternoon from Martin (Kerby) we were all only with the great man last night lost for words.

My thoughts go to Linda and family RIP Max the name will live on we will see to that here in the West Mids.

Gaz & Carole

Social source share

Guest Basingstokie Sarah

A message from Dave Evison

I've lost a good friend; a genuine inspiration to me, a real pro who could charm you onto the dance floor....and his knowledge of music across the board was second to none.

I regularly called in his shop trying in vain to sell him the new product I had to sell as a record rep in the '80's and inevitably we'd disappear into the rear of the shop and have our usual 'Torch' vs 'Cats' and Stoke vs Wolves debates over a cuppa, and he always had a smile on his face.

Max, you educated me with the gems you played to me on the Catacombes dancefloor, and also showed me how to present an hour of music so naturally and professionally, it was frightening.

If i've gone half the way to emulate you as a DJ, well.... that'll do for me!

Your enthusiasm and style was exceptional, in Chris Jackson's words.....

'I'll never forget you'

Thanks Max, it was a pleasure and a privelidge to tread the boards with you at dozens of venues over the years.

I only hope you realised how appreiciated and respected you were, by so many of us on and off the stage.

Dave Evison

Addition by Sarah Evison

Max, I have only know you a few years, but your reputation preceeded my meeting you. Always a gentleman, and a gentle man. A big man with a bigger personality. I am honoured to of known you Max.

Our thoughts and condolences go out to Linda and to all who had the pleasure to know you.

Max Millward May you rest in peace.

Sarah and Dave Evison

Social source share

Guest soulsister

We are so sorry to have heard this news from Annie earlier, our thoughts and heartfelt condolences go out to family and friends at this very sad time..

R.I.P Max

Gerry H & Donna

Social source share

Very sad news.

All those years working towards retirement and now he is not able to enjoy it (if that makes sense)

Saw him at the Candi Staton concert at the Robin recently.

He has contributed a lot to the Midlands soul scene and will be missed.

regards francis t

Social source share

Absolutely stunned! We were only chatting at the Torch revival late last year and he looked tip top.

He reminded me of the terrible Jewels track We Got Togetherness I broke at Station Rd in 74. He sold it to me.

A true gent and one of the great West Midlands legends.

Cue...Neil R with a full obit?

RIP- From Sam and Kev at Goldsoul

Thanks Kev and Sam ... everyone I phoned tonight are in bits about Max , Max was 100% Northern soul " MR WEST MIDLANDS " yes a few times we had a bit of banter over the last few years but Max was always there for me and always gave me his DJ services with out any fee as he bloody enjoyed his music , I recall at Jct 2 when he came over to me and said Chalky I cant believe this ....meaning talking to Yvonne Vernne Allen from the Elgin's , better was still to come when 2008 the Fabulous Peps over in the uk at the stables and i took Steve Calloway to he's shop on that Saturday Afternoon and trust me you should had seen his face with Ken's when We walked in and Steve singing " That's why I love you " he couldn't thank me enough for that day .. ... better still Steve Calloway came back over for the Groovesille Review tour and Max and Steve got together and again he said Chalk's i cant believe this .. he really loved the Professionals 45 and he told me he was one of the first ever to play it way back in the day , one night I took Max to watch Steve Calloway to Reharse and Record with The Stone Foundation on the way Back we got some Fish and Chips which Max Kindly Brought and spent mostly the early part of the Morning chatting about Soul Music and he gave me the Best advise ever about what i wanted do do .. he said Chalk do it for yourself and for your dreams and i will Max ..for you ! then one night outside Club Dudley i was having a fag with Max and Ronnie Mcnier phoned me explaining about the Problems about performing at NCS allnighter after Max said Hello to him on the phone i said sod this I've had enough .. he talked me down saying what I've done he would never do even though he DJed for nr 40yrs and talked me into that I've got some Memoirs what ever Happens , but i replied and Told him i wanted to be like him a Legend on the Northern scene .. and he was ! Only last week I Arranged with max to take a day with Nolan Porter and we was all going fishing , Max was really looking forward to seeing Nolan .. Max I won't let you down nolan will be there .. I'm going to miss you Max but never will I forget you .. RIP DEARLY BELOVED . Steve calloway also sends he's love and he said he will never forget you either you showed him his 45 he never seen it until he walked into your shop that afternoon and thanks to you for a great afternoon with the Cricket match. again going to Miss you Max.

Social source share

Guest livelikeasailor

So Sorry to hear about the Death of Blue Maxx.........He was a Classic 60ts d.j...well known, and well repected..as a Catacombs.. especially round the Midlands..... with his enthusiasm and collection he was able to respond to his audience in his own way.....imparting great enjoyment to them ......a man of many talents judging by his shop ......he will sadly missed ..........R.I.P.............. Brian Rae

Edited by livelikeasailor
Social source share

Gail and I send our condolences to his family at this sad,sad time. There are many many others better qualified than me to talk about Max, but as a naive snotty nosed kid late 60's into the 70's I can truly count on one hand the number of people in the midlands that formed the start of what we know now.His name is synonymous with northern soul in the Midlands.

What sticks in my mind--and I remember it word for word, was when a group of aging men and women(who should know better) gathered on a damp october last year in a place called Hose st. The photographer beckoned to Max' hey mate with the cap on ,can you move nearer the group'

Dave Evison immediately pipes up---'Hey that 's Blue Max!!! he's a legend'

I am so proud and honoured to have known you my friend

RIP Mr Millward

Social source share

An original,a legend,and more than that he was a super guy.Over the years ive stood and chatted and never tired of listening to his storys,an all round super guy.So glad that we were friends,i say with respect God bless you sir.Gilly and Nicola

Social source share

Max Milward a shining light from the black country, had many a conversation on the telephone and later by e-mail.

As a young lad you could only dream what a DJ like "The Blue Max" was like, a club called the Catacombes, a list of rare sounds as long as you arm, in reality he was a wonderful friendly man, "come outside and talk Rob I need a ciggie".

In all honesty, Max has been taken from us in a way he would have wanted, at a club listening to rare soul music among his many friendsyes.gif

Very sad news indeed, but one record that reminds me of Max is Tony Michaels "I love the life I live and I live the life I love"

RIP

Rob & Karen

Social source share

Guest sandi

Been and read all posts, it's very sad news, my pet name for Max was "Maxioneinamillion",.....still is and always will be there was only one MAX.

Trying to get my head around this at the moment, well both Harpo and myself are.

Just wanted to post our symphathies and echo everyones sentiment.

Will post something more in the way of tribute when l've thought about it, and that goes the same for Harpo.

Just want to mention we have had the company of our good friend Mike over the weekend ,and although he did'nt know Max that well , it affected him also and wishes to express condolences to Max's family.

Sandi , Harpo, and mike

xxx

Social source share

So sad, the loss of a legend. To me and 1000s of others, this Northern Soul pioneer was the reason we travelled to Wolverampton on a Saturday night. It was the place to be, with DJs like Blue Max and those magical adverts in Blue & Soul asking you to come and hear sounds like Johnny Sayles, Richard Temple, Cigarette Ashes...

As a young lad a trip to The Cats was just the highlight of the week, the anticipation of hearing Blue Max and the team was unbearable over the 2 hour journey in an overloaded van.

Max, you gave me and every Melton Mowbray soulie during the early 70s memories we shall cherish for the rest of our lifes. A proper nice guy who changed the direction of many, many youngsters lifes. Thank you, thank you for the wonderful times and memories you gave us.

More importantly what a nice bloke, a true Gentleman & an all-time Giant of the Northern Soul Scene we shall miss you, indeed.

John and all @ John Manship Records.

Social source share

Just turned on the computer this morning and can't believe what I've read! Only got to know Max in the last 10 Years or so, but one of the absolute cornerstones of the Soul scene in the Midlands, who I naively thought would be around forever - I'm absolutely gutted.

RIP mate

Des Parker

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Just turned on the computer this morning and can't believe what I've read! Only got to know Max in the last 10 Years or so, but one of the absolute cornerstones of the Soul scene in the Midlands, who I naively thought would be around forever - I'm absolutely gutted.

RIP mate

Des Parker

This is true dread, Max was a real cool guy who allway's made you feel relaxed being around him . I heard last night from Ted our thoughts are with his kin and mates john Pugh and Ken Onions love , light and peace Simon and Tina Hunt.

Social source share

When i read threads like this, it makes me once again realise just how lucky we have been throughout our lives to be a part of this wonderful scene. I only had the pleasure of being in max`s company on a handful of occasions. But he allways remembered me lovely fella. A sad loss & my deepest sympathies go out to his friends & of course his family at this terrible time. My thoughts are with you all-HARRY CROSBY

Social source share

post-5897-12752936997595_thumb.jpgpost-5897-12752936760455_thumb.jpgpost-5897-12752936616115_thumb.jpgHaving been told by Ted at Rolls Royce, this morning we are at home in a state of shock and sadness.

Firstly can we offer our deeepest heartfelt condolences to the family, our thoughts are with you.

Right then, Max, what can i say, other than perhaps share some of my memories with you. When that little shop finally closed, Wednesfield village lost its most loved and respected charecter, it was a greater loss to our community than the Woolworths closure, could ever be.

And now the West Mids Soul scene, in particular Wolverhampton has lost our mentor, to welcome and guide us. In my almost 40 years there have been only a few ever present figure, Max., Neil Rushton, Pep was for a long time before moving on, and not forgetting Swoz. Max was the biggest influence initially, i was to young to do the Cat's, my memories are Laffayette teen scene on mondays, Silver Dollar etc...etc....Iwould walk the mile and a bit to the shop after school, Max really turned my early like of the music into a lifelong journey.He would pull out stuff, "listen to this one matey", give it a rub on his jumper and on the deck, i can see it now, like it was yesterday!

When Max came first time to the Cavendish, he stood with me behind the decks, "Harpo i never thought we would see this in Wolverhampton ever again", it was a royal approval for me.

When Max years on went to Lea Manor with John and Ken, and got the bug again, it was great to see, later when i also started up again he was supportive, helpfull and genuinley pleased for me and Sandi.

Our little "band of brothers" who were regular shop groupies, will i'm sure, every man and woman, will always remember "that man with the big wide grin"

And are honoured to feel we can"color him father"

Its a loss that is gonna be hard to put into words.

Until we meet again...in soul heaven.....goodnight my dear old friend

post-5897-12752936028013.jpg

post-5897-12752936456295_thumb.jpg

post-5897-12753166172994_thumb.jpg

Harpo

post-5897-12752936028013.jpg

post-5897-12752936456295_thumb.jpg

post-5897-12752936616115_thumb.jpg

post-5897-12752936760455_thumb.jpg

post-5897-12752936997595_thumb.jpg

post-5897-12753166172994_thumb.jpg

Edited by harpo1