soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 21
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

she did two versions the other cut is better,more gritty

I think I had the first copy of this, well the first after Phil Dick who's copy I bought in the early early ebay days circa 2000, it was on a one sided Motown acetate and was a bit worn but soon as I heard it I thought it was fantastic. I played it at one of Simon's brighton alldayers and it did nothing at all. The I sold it to Stuart T a week later. As far as I know, this version has not surfaced again, I may be wrong but the one on the Motown cd is nothing like it and the other one is in too good a sound quality. I also had the fast version of Midnight Johnny on a one sided disc, that was fantastic. Wish I still had bioth of them.

Social source share

I think I had the first copy of this, well the first after Phil Dick who's copy I bought in the early early ebay days circa 2000, it was on a one sided Motown acetate and was a bit worn but soon as I heard it I thought it was fantastic. I played it at one of Simon's brighton alldayers and it did nothing at all. The I sold it to Stuart T a week later. As far as I know, this version has not surfaced again, I may be wrong but the one on the Motown cd is nothing like it and the other one is in too good a sound quality. I also had the fast version of Midnight Johnny on a one sided disc, that was fantastic. Wish I still had bioth of them.

Pretty Sure Stuart still has this, so if you hear it out it's a fucking carver

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

I spoke to Stuart about the acetate at the last SITC Solid Hit Soul ......he confirmed that it was now a bit worse for wear..... I always though ST got it off Dave Flynn...didn't know it was a PS sale.

Not from me...was indeed from Pete.

I do recall Stuart and I discussed taking it to a chap who used to cut my acetates, to see if he could clean up the sound quality...don't think we ever did it? (Maybe that is the source of the link to me?) I think it was prone to jump in one place, but wasn't in too bad a shape. Great track.

:lol:

Social source share

It's the same as somebody playing a carver of a Butch exclusive .......ask him what he thinks yes.gif

Stuart has the acetate of this that he payed X amount of money for ........... do you play boots/reissues of expensive records ?

Yeah all my big records are just carvers with look a like labels on, it's much cheaper that wayph34r.gif!

I'm a OVO enthusiast and have strong views about people playing boots but you have to admit it's a grey area! I'm not going to mention the record in question but a freind of mine has recently gave me a carver from the original acetate and I fully intend to play it out because it's fookin brillaint and dead rare. I know of big dj's who have played cuts from acetates 'country girl, good news, switch around' etc. I'd be interested to hear your views on that?

Callum

Social source share

I''ve got a carver of this and sometimes play it out. If it's unreleased then why not?

here here...i got this cut for two well known djs..if its ok for them its ok for me..unrealeased so its defo for me

moldie

Social source share

Stuart has the acetate of this that he payed X amount of money for ........... do

Yeah he did pay me a good price for it and in return I never, ever made a copy of it, either on an acetate (it was pre-carvers) or even on a cd. In fact, like a mug I forgot to record it for myself.

So I don't see how any other version in circulation can be the same one that Stuart has, unless they found the Motown master of that particular version.

Social source share

Yeah he did pay me a good price for it and in return I never, ever made a copy of it, either on an acetate (it was pre-carvers) or even on a cd. In fact, like a mug I forgot to record it for myself.

So I don't see how any other version in circulation can be the same one that Stuart has, unless they found the Motown master of that particular version.

Are you sure the original acetate is a different cut to the one released on the cd? I got a soundfile sent to me which was apparently from the original acetate and it sounds very similar. The only thing I'd say was the sound is slighty louder form the acetate, louder horns etc, not very noticable though.

The soundfile was sent to me by a well respected Northern dj so i would of thought he would know which is which

Cheers

Social source share

Are you sure the original acetate is a different cut to the one released on the cd? I got a soundfile sent to me which was apparently from the original acetate and it sounds very similar. The only thing I'd say was the sound is slighty louder form the acetate, louder horns etc, not very noticable though.

The soundfile was sent to me by a well respected Northern dj so i would of thought he would know which is which

Cheers

There is a certain tempo difference between ST's acetate (faster) and the CD version....

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

More than happy to send you a recording of it Pete. I think the CD track is the same recording but mastered differently and slightly slower, and doesn't sound anywhere near as dynamic (but that may be just because its on cd). The acetate has a scratch at the start which causes it to skip one groove in the intro on some decks, so I avoid playing it out now as I don't want to make it worse and was intending getting it cut myself when I get my arse in gear.

As for other people cutting it I'm not that bothered because not living in the UK I won't be playing it out very often and it'd be good for it to get heard. It did get put on a Capitol Soul Club tape or cd so maybe its been cut from that but I can't imagine the sound quality would do it justice.

Stuart

Social source share

Cheers

Positive - soon as I heard it (the official release) I thought what a shame they couldn't find that one I used to have cos it was miles better.

Social source share

More than happy to send you a recording of it Pete. I think the CD track is the same recording but mastered differently and slightly slower, and doesn't sound anywhere near as dynamic (but that may be just because its on cd). The acetate has a scratch at the start which causes it to skip one groove in the intro on some decks, so I avoid playing it out now as I don't want to make it worse and was intending getting it cut myself when I get my arse in gear.

As for other people cutting it I'm not that bothered because not living in the UK I won't be playing it out very often and it'd be good for it to get heard. It did get put on a Capitol Soul Club tape or cd so maybe its been cut from that but I can't imagine the sound quality would do it justice.

Stuart

Thanksmate, appreciate that, be nice to hear it again

Social source share

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

Stuart

can happily testify it was on a Dome cassette with three sections beeped over making it almost impossible to cut.

Social source share