Constellations "i Didn` T Know How To"

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 31
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

More and more people (that i know i this case) seem to be selling "so called" Northern classics, i for one care less about such tracks but i feel the scene is really developing a chasm between the "Progressive" and the "Ultra Revivalist" movements........anyone else feel this..........( i appreciate that in effect this has being going on for bloody years.......but the "standards" are still being clutched at by those bloody and swollen hands.......)

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

£75 was obviously a bargain price for this, what would be a more 'usual' price nowadays.

TT

link

paid £150 for mine about 3 weeks ago......so you imagine how gutted i was to read this

Social source share

paid £150 for mine about 3 weeks ago......so you imagine how gutted i was to read this

link

I have a copy for sale at £150 whistling.gif

Social source share

i sold a mint- one at notts union club three months ago for 70 quid

i think that's a fair price, there's loads about and it's not even very good (IMO)

much prefer 'i don't know about you', until the point where it goes a bit further uptempo and more funky...if they could have kept it going in that rolling, groupy style that the first minute or so is in it would be an all-time favourite of mine

Social source share

i think that's a fair price, there's loads about and it's not even very good (IMO)

much prefer 'i don't know about you', until the point where it goes a bit further uptempo and more funky...if they could have kept it going in that rolling, groupy style that the first minute or so is in it would be an all-time favourite of mine

link

Must agree Dan

similar thing to the 2 Sharon Mc's on Karen Gotta find another guy is much rarer and better whistling.gif

Social source share

It is in the latest guide at 150 and in the one before at "only" 75 which I tend to believe is a right price. The last two I saw for sale went for a hundred. As it was a "quick sale" 75 UKP seemed to be a good price and interest proofed me right.

Still have another copy in and for my collection, so you can guess I still like it :ohmy: Although I haven`t played that out since 1993. BUT I still need a copy of their "I Don`t Know About You"... yes.gif What`s a realistic price for this one ?

Marc

Social source share

link

Agree with you 100% Dan, I always sell this for £50 to £80 depending on issue/demo and condition. I remember buying like 4 copies off Times Square and LEAVING I Don't Know About You because it was 'the wrong one' yes.gif

Social source share

Agree with you 100% Dan, I always sell this for £50 to £80 depending on issue/demo and condition.  I remember buying like 4 copies off Times Square and LEAVING I Don't Know About You because it was 'the wrong one'  yes.gif

link

Both used to be in every box you came across at one time...although not a lot appears to have changed. Still see both for sale fairly often. Paid 15 quid each I think but that was a few years ago. Saying that didn't sell 'em for much more mid 90's.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

strange how prices go isn't it

i've had arguments with people before where they call buyers 'morons' for paying what they believe to be over-the-top prices for records...i always say that a record is only ever worth what someone will pay and what someone will pay depends on a range of factors including their income.

however, you do wonder a little bit at people who would pay £500 for IDKAY.

as pete and chalky say, neither constellations are rare are they and certainly in the 80s there were loads of IDKAYs left lying in sales boxes at between £8 and £15 cos everyone wanted IDKHT

Social source share

strange how prices go isn't it

i've had arguments with people before where they call buyers 'morons' for paying what they believe to be over-the-top prices for records...i always say that a record is only ever worth what someone will pay and what someone will pay depends on a range of factors including their income.

however, you do wonder a little bit at people who would pay £500 for IDKAY.

as pete and chalky say, neither constellations are rare are they and certainly in the 80s there were loads of IDKAYs left lying in sales boxes at between £8 and £15 cos everyone wanted IDKHT

link

Agree that a record is worth what someone is willing to pay but it doesn't stop them being a muppet for paying a ridiculous price for certain records. You must have shook your head more than a few times when you see some off the prices paid for certain records, especially auction prices when if the buyer did a little homework and looked around he or she would get at fraction of price.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Agree that a record is worth what someone is willing to pay but it doesn't stop them being a muppet for paying a ridiculous price for certain records.  You must have shook your head more than a few times when you see some off the prices paid for certain records, especially auction prices when if the buyer did a little homework and looked around he or she would get at fraction of price.

link

having had this argument with among others christian h i am starting to come round to your/christian's way of thinking

but don't tell christian...

Social source share

having had this argument with among others christian h i am starting to come round to your/christian's way of thinking

but don't tell christian...

link

yes.gif:ohmy::lol:

Makes me mad when I see common records that should cost 30, 40 & 50 quid, some cases even less being bought and sold for a few hundred just cause it's the particular indemander of the month. Folk paying these daft prices just f**k it up for the average buyer.

Social source share

link

I know you did Dan, cos I bought it from you and I was chuffed to get it for £70.

Pete

:shades:

Social source share

Oh well...as i'm the bloke that bought the record here's my reasoning for said purchase. Obviously i like the record and remember just missing it when 30 quid or less many moons ago. When prices on Idkay went daft [for a fairly common record] Idkht seemed to go up in price on it's coat tails, settling in at 150, which i personally think is too expensive. Cheapest i've seen it in recent years is 100 notes, so 75 seemed

a fair price and i snapped it up.

As regards Brett's statements about developing a chasm between the "Progressive" and the "Ultra Revivalist" movements although i'm an armchair soulie when i do [rarely] go out I prefer to hear stuff that i haven't heard before but as a collector i have bought and continue to buy classics as well as semi knowns and newies. Recent living room spins have included the endeavors, contacts, isonics and tomorrow's men [thanks Christian] as well as Marie knight and Dean Parrish [my musicor revivalist phase] and i would like copies of the cashmeres and gil blanding but am not willing to pay the 1500 and 150 quid you can buy them for any day of the week on the net so i wouldn't say i personally do a lot of clutching with bloody and swollen hands.

Having said all that, if the wife ever finds out how much i do spend on records [rather than them all being trades which is what i tell her :shades: ] then i'll almost certainly end up with a bloody and swollen nose!

Edited by exustrek
Social source share

:)   :D   wink.gif Makes me mad when I see common records that should cost 30, 40 & 50 quid, some cases even less being bought and sold for a few hundred just cause it's the particular indemander of the month.  Folk paying these daft prices just f**k it up for the average buyer.

link

....thoughts-a fool and his/her money are soon parted..collective hysteria...?? :shades:

Social source share

Agree with you 100% Dan, I always sell this for £50 to £80 depending on issue/demo and condition.  I remember buying like 4 copies off Times Square and LEAVING I Don't Know About You because it was 'the wrong one'  :shades:

link

Bought mine from Beatin' Rhythm for £8 5 years ago. So that tells you something.

Sold it for £40 wasn't in amazing nick but played perfick..

£50 is about right I reckon. Though of course you'll never see it for that again.

When it went up to £150 I split my sides....

Social source share

Bought mine from Beatin' Rhythm for £8 5 years ago. So that tells you something.

Sold it for £40 wasn't in amazing nick but played perfick..

£50 is about right I reckon. Though of course you'll never see it for that again.

When it went up to £150 I split my sides....

link

A bargain at £8 even five years ago, was never that cheap 15 years ago. £75 top whack IMO but if some are happy to pay the prices it commands..... :) Totally over priced and over played wink.gif Both of 'em :shades:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Oh well...as i'm the bloke that bought the record here's my reasoning for said purchase. Obviously i like the record and remember just missing it when 30 quid or less many moons ago. When prices on Idkay went daft [for a fairly common record] Idkht seemed to go up in price on it's coat tails, settling in at 150, which i personally think is too expensive. Cheapest i've seen it in recent years is 100 notes, so 75 seemed

As regards Brett's statements about developing a chasm between the "Progressive" and the "Ultra Revivalist" movements although i'm an armchair soulie when i do [rarely] go out I prefer to hear stuff that i haven't heard before  but as a collector i have bought and continue to buy classics as well as semi knowns and newies. Recent living room spins have included the endeavors, contacts, isonics and tomorrow's men [thanks Christian] as well as Marie knight and Dean Parrish [my musicor revivalist phase] and i would like copies of the cashmeres and gil blanding but am not willing to pay the 1500 and 150 quid you can buy them for any day of the week on the net so i wouldn't say i personally do a lot of clutching with bloody and swollen hands.

Having said all that, if the wife ever finds out how much i do spend on records [rather than them all being trades which is what i tell her  :shades: ] then i'll almost certainly end up with a bloody and swollen nose!

link

Better rephrase what i wrote, of course there are a myriad of Northern standards that i adore (and secretly wished i owned :) ) but i actually i know quite a few people active on the scene who are parting with "Said" classics to fund other "unknown" 45's, a trend thats always been around, when someone tires of a tune and needs the readies to go get something else. Suppose it's just to do with the people i hang around with and know, no doubt plenty of folks want what the hell they want, and i for one back that to the hilt. Horses for courses, enjoy your purchase.......but put those hands in "Dettol" wink.gif

Brett

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Just wondering if there are any others like me.

I refuse to sell any of my records, unless I absolutely have to.

In fact I think I have sold two in the last 10 years. And that was due to extreme cash flow problems.

Even if I am desperate for a record I've never owned. I wouldnt want to part with one I do own.

Each to their own of course. I cant be the only one, and I guess with lots of people hoarding away their oldies, thats why Gil Blanding is no longer £4 and on every single list in many multiples. (If everyone who has one, bought it at WH SMiths in the same week, it would be a number 1 wouldnt it? Where is the rarity in that?)

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Bought for £20 about 10 year back, sold for £80 about a year back, which I think is a fair price but anyone who pays over the going rate must want it and as long as he's got it, who cares - another Soulie happy.

And yeah, if I didn't have to I wouldn't part with tunes but sometimes needs must.

Edited by Hottwaxx
Social source share

I know you did Dan, cos I bought it from you and I was chuffed to get it for £70.

Pete

:shades:

link

there you go pete

the perfect deal

you're happy, i'm happy!

Social source share

Better rephrase what i wrote, of course there are a myriad of Northern standards that i adore (and secretly wished i owned :) ) but i actually i know quite a few people active on the scene who are parting with "Said" classics to fund other "unknown" 45's, a trend thats always been around, when someone tires of a tune and needs the readies to go get something else. Suppose it's just to do with the people i hang around with and know, no doubt plenty of folks want what the hell they want, and i for one back that to the hilt. Horses for courses, enjoy your purchase.......but put those hands in "Dettol" laugh.gif

Brett

link

Good one that Brett, i've always looked at it if you have somthing sitting at home....for instance IDKHT, not doing anything either playing it out or just litening to it at home, i feel i need to get rid (suppose that a bit of the wrong word to use) lets say move on. to get more and lets face it alot of us cant afford to spend hundreds week in week out on new records, especialy if your buying cheeper stuff on a weekly basis, so if that more expencive record comes up your after, it can work to shift said tunes on.....Now where did i put that "Dettol" :D:shades:

Social source share

link

I think you got it at a very good price at todays going rate and think it quite sad that you have to feel you have to justify yourself to anyone :D

Social source share

Guest remus

:D   :(   :(

Makes me mad when I see common records that should cost 30, 40 & 50 quid, some cases even less being bought and sold for a few hundred just cause it's the particular indemander of the month.  Folk paying these daft prices just f**k it up for the average buyer.

link

Stratoliners & Jean Battle....two classic cases of the above! :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!