Martyn Ellis

• Replies 41
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest proudlove

Think Steve Proudlove would have some idea.

Tony

I know it was 2002,but can't remember the exact date.....................but I've put the hounds on the scent.

Steve

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

I know it was 2002,but can't remember the exact date.....................but I've put the hounds on the scent.

Steve

Martyn was a top bloke with a great sense of humour.

we had many great nights together.

His family were really nice to.

he is sadly missed.

i think i saw a while back on the nite owl website a date.

But that was a few years ago now.

Stu.

Social source share

Martyn was a top bloke with a great sense of humour.

we had many great nights together.

His family were really nice to.

he is sadly missed.

i think i saw a while back on the nite owl website a date.

But that was a few years ago now.

Stu.

don't think it was as long ago as 2002,maybe 2007,been wrong before though! RIP fella......come to think of it there was a thread on here re martyn's passing.

Social source share

Guest proudlove

don't think it was as long ago as 2002,maybe 2007,been wrong before though! RIP fella......come to think of it there was a thread on here re martyn's passing.

Definately 2002.............I had not been with my now wife long and was absolutely gutted that she never met Martyn.

I wrote the tribute to Martyn that went into Manifesto and have been trying (in vain ) to find the draft copy to post it up.

Steve

Social source share

Definately 2002.............I had not been with my now wife long and was absolutely gutted that she never met Martyn.

I wrote the tribute to Martyn that went into Manifesto and have been trying (in vain ) to find the draft copy to post it up.

Steve

Skewesy passed away in 2002 .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

I think is son as been on the S S site asking for info, used to love sitting on the balconny above Martyn in Mr M's, i was totaly spellbound by all his movement while still getting his next spin out of his box. I think he danced more doing his spot than some danced all night.Loved him.

Social source share

There was a memorial book on Nightowl.

Also Matyns lad was on here at one time.

Martyn had two sons : Chris is the eldest , and Jake is the youngest . Jake has posted on SS in the past .

Both Chris and Jake will be with us at the 2010 Torch Reunion in October .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Martyn had two sons : Chris is the eldest , and Jake is the youngest . Jake has posted on SS in the past .

Malc Burton

:hatsoff2: MARTYN ELLIS..BEST DJ I EVER MET...PROPPA.....X...AN MISS..X.:hatsoff2::hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Malc Burton

Last time (before Martyn's funeral)that I saw Jake is when I picked him uo from school with Martyn.......................................

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest julie s

martyns son has just started working at siemens i spoke to him the other day i knew i recognised him from the last torch reunion and i tried to make him welcome in his new work place, and yes he is going the torch reunion with his brother who he has,nt seen since he was 3:thumbsup: xxxjulie

Social source share

martyns son has just started working at siemens i spoke to him the other day i knew i recognised him from the last torch reunion and i tried to make him welcome in his new work place, and yes he is going the torch reunion with his brother who he has,nt seen since he was 3:thumbsup: xxxjulie

Chris told me recently that he had applied for several jobs , and I am pleased he has been successful . I am sure he will be alright under the watchful eye of Aunty Julie biggrin.gif .......

Malc

Social source share

Bless him. Loved listening to those intros. Before he plays the wonderful Lee Andrews he says something about a break from jocking. Did this happen? The man's boundless enthusiasm and love for the music also came across in SWONS. Out of the many talking heads, his was one of the ones I enjoyed the most. The only jock to come near him in unbridled energy terms is/was Tony Dellar from Cambridge.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Bless him. Loved listening to those intros. Before he plays the wonderful Lee Andrews he says something about a break from jocking. Did this happen? The man's boundless enthusiasm and love for the music also came across in SWONS. Out of the many talking heads, his was one of the ones I enjoyed the most. The only jock to come near him in unbridled energy terms is/was Tony Dellar from Cambridge.

Martyn Ellis in SWONS ??

Are you sure, or did I miss it

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I think so, but there are lots on here that could confirm it, especially those involved like Chris L. I hope I haven't dreamt this!

F*ck me, I've now gotta lay on the settee all day and night with remote in hand watching it again to find out

It's a hard life :laugh:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

2nd dvd? torch & top rank chapter?

Gonna have a look, back soon

---------

Macca, yup yer right mate, sorry for doubting ya. What a dunce I am, I must have missed it but don't know how as "the talking heads" are my favourite bits.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest proudlove

Just to let everyone know it was the 18th of september when he died..And il definetley be at the torch reunion :thumbsup:

Hiya Jake....................see you there pal.

Steve.

Social source share

Just to let everyone know it was the 18th of september when he died..And il definetley be at the torch reunion :thumbsup:

It will be a pleasure to see you / have you there with us Jake .

Malc

Social source share

It'l be good seeing everyone that my dad knew..Hope youve all got loads of stories for me haha

oh there'll be loads of storiesrolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif. you will be made very very welcome at the Reunion and we hope you enjoy it. It should give you a little snap shot of the passion, the people, the DJ's that made our little soul club in Tunstall so specialyes.gif and yer dad was a very special part of the whole thing

see you and yer bruv on the daythumbsup.gif

Social source share

Forty twelve million requests for this one right now :)

To those who did not know Skewesy , comments like that may have sounded like bollocks , but it was well crafted

bollocks :lol: .

God bless you Martyn :lol:

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Sublime is an understatement.... :boxing::thumbsup:

If you think Skewesy's announcements on the clip were good , you have to hear the ones he does on the recording from

The Torch in 1972 , which feature on the Torch Reunion 2010 Charity CD , pre - orders now being taken @ £5 each plus

P & P .

For details , email me at burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

is that martyn ellis d,j ing i,m just listerning to this and bless him he played open the door to your heart darrell banks thats where it come from then, my bro loved that tune xx

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Here are two photos of Martin. First one in our flat circa 1978 after Leeds Central the other at the Brooklands. Always remembered him as a non stop talker - you had to wait your turn.

Skewesy gave you a turn ? now that was a rarity :thumbsup:

Malc

Social source share

• 8 years later...

My old mate Martyn,  Used to knock about with him quite a lot.                 Martyn passed away 18/9/2002.Much too early. He used to go out with Liz from Huddersfield for a time.He was one of the largest characters on the scene.Talk about a Dj when he was on at the Torch his words would all flow into one but he was up there with the best i.m.o.He Once Dj'd for me at the Frobisher suite and turned up with bits of toilet roll stuck all over his face as he'd cut himself shaving. Seriously though he's sadly missed and have many memories of him in many places. Always a pleasure  to be in his company  Regards Fred.

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

Loved him the lunatic!  ‘Another Martyn Ellis cock-up’ 🤣 spent a very interesting train journey with him from Manchester to Stoke one Sunday after a Central all-nighter. Crazy. May well have been to that Hanley all-dater Pete Smith mentioned. 

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

• 2 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert