Select-A-Disc Records In Nottingham

What happened to them then??.....Well remember that they had a full page advert in Blues & Soul....and a few Black Magic releases sold so well that they actually charted..

Anybody anything else to add? :lol:no.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by webbydublin
Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

What happened to them then??.....Well remember that they had a full page advert in Blues & Soul....and a few Black Magic releases sold so well that they actually charted..

Anybody anything else to add? yes.gifno.gifbiggrin.gif

Bought a few of them when they came out, not sure they've stood the test of time though biggrin.gif

101 Bob Relf - "Blowing My Mind To Pieces"

Paula Roussel - "Blowing My Mind To Pieces"

102 Sharonettes - "Papa Ooh Mow Mow" / Instrumental

103 Father's Angels - "Bok To Bach" / Disco Trucking

104 Sharonettes - "Going To A Go-Go"

107 Dobie Gray - "Out On THe Floor" / "Be A Man"

109 Creation - "I Get The Fever"

Promised Land - "Cheyenne"

110 Gary Jackson & The Chantelles - "Sugar Dumpling"

111 Milestones - "The Joker" / "Jucie Brucie"

112 Cherry People - "And Suddenly" / "Imagination"

115 Jimmy "Soul" Clark - Sweet Darlin'

Social source share

Anybody anything else to add? :thumbsup::D:D

The institution that was Selectadisc closed in March of last year Phil .

Following below , is an article printed in a Nottingham publication relating to the closure by its' then owner Phil Barton .

Selectadisc, which in its 40-year history has championed new music and hosted a slew of music greats, will close in a month. The Market Street shop is now holding a clearance sale.

"We've been trying to avoid this for two years," said owner Phil Barton, who bought the shop two years ago when closure loomed. "The shop has been basically uneconomic for the last two years. We've been trying to keep it going more as a social service than as a normally functioning business.

There comes a point where you just say 'I cannot do this any more.'

"Unfortunately people are consuming their music in different ways and they are not using independent music shops in the same way. Ninety-five percent of the traded music in the world is trading for free on-line.

"When you have the downloads, the fixed costs remaining the same, the downturn in the music industry, the downturn in the worldwide economy all conspiring together - a business that is on a knife edge suddenly becomes a business that is never going to make any money."

It's a trend happening around Britain, he noted. Ten years ago, the country had more than 1,000 independent music stores. Last year, there were 410. Now there are 305. So cold economic realities come down on a shop that has been the beating heart of new music in Nottingham.

"Selectadisc in this town has been a focal point for new music for 40 years," he said. "Every new genre of music that has come out has been championed by this shop."

The roll-call of musicians who have turned up for intimate gigs is an impressive one. Over the years The Clash, Billy Bragg, Paul Weller and the Ramones all played Selectadisc. More recently the Magic Numbers and the Kooks have turned up.

But that doesn't help sales. Mr Barton has heard from people who thought of the shop as a "well-loved friend", but the question he sometimes asks then is: "Well when was the last time you actually came in and bought something?"

The list of musicians who have played Selectadisc might also indicate place that values "interesting" over "popular". "A shop like Selectadisc doesn't go out of its way to compete with supermarkets," Mr Barton said. "We don't stock pop music - things you'd find advertised on television, for example. Our customers know that."

If anyone wants to keep the place alive, Mr Barton says he'd take their call. But he's not optimistic.

"If there's anyone in Nottingham who wants to keep the name of Selectaadisc alive and has good ideas about how to ... I'd be happy to talk to them," he said. "It would take someone with a will of iron and a lot of money to attempt it. It won't be the same Selectadisc if it comes back."

In the meantime, he wants to give the much-loved business the final weeks it deserves.

"We're going to be running it until the end of March and hopefully giving it a dignified sendoff.

"I want to close it with dignity, and I want people to remember Selectadisc as a fantastic place, not something that went out with a whimper."

Interesting , but the real story needs to be told - if it ever will be - relating to the " golden " period when Selectadisc was notable for both its' creditable and infamous activities .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I'd forgotten about this incident until I read a Steve Gutteridge post from near a couple of years back.

Remember having a good laugh about it at the time -------

"Steve Gutteridge - Fact, the old bill raided selecta disc on Arkwright St in Notts, I think Andy Capes was with me.

They ushered us all out the back door and into a wooden shed, it was stacked with "pressings" I can still smell them to this day.

Think it was Hecter from Selecta who ran the place, who was from Derby." laugh.gif

Social source share

i must have bought my first ns sounds(boots) from there, johnny bragg on green elbejay springs to mind ,one or two originals though . best black magic disc no 105 love you baby b/w the great what can i do . must have been about 75p at the time when the original was impossible to get.both on manships now b/m £10 original £200.

kev

Social source share

All the way down Arkwright st which is now part of a housing estate a couple of times a month to get to the Cellar where all sorts of UK issues on sale for

25 pence a time

picked up and gave a way and in some cases sold a load of brill music

and the staff back then where nothing else but helpful and friendly

1972 great times to live and spin in Notts

where have all the good times and people gone

big business kills a way of life

cds Mini Disc now the computer AGE

old and passed my sell by date

lol

Social source share

Firstly great post from Malc, ...Where to start, ...um......Well when i was a young northern soulie,..smile.gif , going to mostly local events + the odd niter like wigan, sams, etc, etc, .....Not having loads of spare cash to be honest, ..so Selecta , was just the ticket......and they had the smal 2 story shop in leicester....Where every week we would all pop down....rolleyes.gif ..good old days they al were too.....Picking up most of the top sounds being spun at the times.......lol.....at good prices......did,nt have to be all orig, as just wanted the sound to play out or at home . On the crap record players we all had........sound was nowt to do with it.......yes.gif .....Then after that closed down, and we were going more niters, soul nites out , etc..we all used to buy sounds there, from all the dealers or soulies.......ha, ......Picked up some good stuff over the years......( still no cds in my collection )laugh.gif .........

Then to cut my story short.......sorry for going on, ......trips to notts became more and more........(1) selecta...(2) arcade records...etc....

As my tastes were moving on at that time.....northern soul still......but also jazz funk, fusion, .....etc.....mostly lps......

Then moving on again......yes i did it , we all did......( i think) wink.gif .......CDS......yes that word......il never buy any..etc....lol.....

Well with the event of , Kent cds coming out.....so good , loads of bonus tracks on them......too good to miss, .....cds were the way for me from there........with the odd vinyl, lp, still but not that many.........

Still not really using the pc, net at this time..........always slow me....lol.......

And going notts once a week , mostly on a sunday, (when they did open on a sun )...ohmy.gif .....as we all went to the notts jazz bop, etc......Which made it a double trip......worth doing , as used to come away with about £80 + a time......always getting some good stuff.......Not in a sale through, as Selecta did,nt ever have a sale......no.gif .......A nd then it came the pc route.......you guessed it, Amazon, play.com, ..ebay, etc.

So from there i got some even better deals .......who can blame me or anyone for shopping around.....if its only just the cost, then amazon won for me.......And i could get all the past cds or box sets that i could never find out there.........so selecta for me was one of the better record shops out there .but like most people and time......it all moves on.....just like the music and venues...............still loving the music through.....mart (leic)

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

didn't Alan Day work there for a time and not forgetting the very swarve Steve Elliot..

Yes Paul, I think AD did work there for a time.

Steve Elliot, wow I'd forgot about him ---- that takes me back.

Social source share

Guest krawen

didn't Alan Day work there for a time and not forgetting the very swarve Steve Elliot..

I remember Steve Elliot ( Ness ) very well , after he left Selecta Disc he opened a shop on Mansfield Road in Eastwood where he continued to supply us "local" lads with soul records in the mid 70's.

We lost track of him for a while ( 20 odd years ) then he popped up at a couple of Annesley and Alfreton Soul nights in the late 90's. He disappeared again but Pete Taylor told me a few weeks ago that he is still selling records.

All the best

Steve B

Edited by krawen
Social source share

Alan Day and Kev Roberts both did spells behind the counter at Selectadisc .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Steve lives only a mile from me , He took early retirement after running his fathers Bathroom/Kitchen bussiness for a while , that of course after his return from a rather sharpish departure to Australia :thumbsup: . He now has a stall in a antique centre in Alfreton Derby's selling records and football programmes .

Can anyone remember that live sized poster on the back door , downstairs on Arkwright St , the one with the naked fit bird on . It was worth the trip for that alone. I can close my eyes now and still conjure up the memory of the smell in there.

I used to go down every Wednesday afternoon (worked in a shop then and half day closing ) and spend the hours nattering to Alan Day , then Hector , Alan Day introduced Kev Roberts to Selecta , I remember him coming in the shop before he rose to ''fame '' , long black hair , denim jacket and a record in his hand , he asked Alan to spin it .To this day I cannot remember what ti was , but it was brilliant , it shut us all up , he then took it of the decks and disappeared up the stairs again. The next i remember is of him behind the counter , then behind the decks at Wigan

Of course Alan , like Hector was from a small village from just outside Derby(Horsley ) along with his good buddy Shelley. The last I heard of Alan was that he was back in Derbyshire about four mile from my house , only ever seem him half a dozen times since he returned.

Can anyone remember Alans real surename , I ' almost certain it was'nt Day

Edited by MAK
Social source share

Steve lives only a mile from me , He took early retirement after running his fathers Bathroom/Kitchen bussiness for a while , that of course after his return from a rather sharpish departure to Australia :thumbsup: . He now has a stall in a antique centre in Alfreton Derby's selling records and football programmes .

Can anyone remember that live sized poster on the back door , downstairs on Arkwright St , the one with the naked fit bird on . It was worth the trip for that alone. I can close my eyes now and still conjure up the memory of the smell in there.

I used to go down every Wednesday afternoon (worked in a shop then and half day closing ) and spend the hours nattering to Alan Day , then Hector , Alan Day introduced Kev Roberts to Selecta , I remember him coming in the shop before he rose to ''fame '' , long black hair , denim jacket and a record in his hand , he asked Alan to spin it .To this day I cannot remember what ti was , but it was brilliant , it shut us all up , he then took it of the decks and disappeared up the stairs again. The next i remember is of him behind the counter , then behind the decks at Wigan

Of course Alan , like Hector was from a small village from just outside Derby(Horsley ) along with his good buddy Shelley. The last I heard of Alan was that he was back in Derbyshire about four mile from my house , only ever seem him half a dozen times since he returned.

Alan knew Kev from The Torch .

Alan's real christian name is ALLEN : The " Day " is a C/U :D .

If Kev picks up on this thread , hopefully he will recall that record he took in to Selectadisc that day .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest suehey

Alan's name is Parkin. Still speak to him. I used to go to school in the medows and so had to walk home past selecta

disc. Happy days

Sue

' date='06 Jun 2010 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1275832908' post='1346525']

Steve lives only a mile from me , He took early retirement after running his fathers Bathroom/Kitchen bussiness for a while , that of course after his return from a rather sharpish departure to Australia wink.gif . He now has a stall in a antique centre in Alfreton Derby's selling records and football programmes .

Social source share

Steve lives only a mile from me , He took early retirement after running his fathers Bathroom/Kitchen bussiness for a while , that of course after his return from a rather sharpish departure to Australia :lol: . He now has a stall in a antique centre in Alfreton Derby's selling records and football programmes .

Alan Day did not introduce to me Selecta Disc, John Brattan did.

The history of Selecta dates back to a market stall in 1967 ran by Brian Selby and his colleague Roy. Brattan worked at Syd Booths and became friendly with Selby.

They decided to open the legendary store in Arkwright St, Nottingham(later known as The Meadows).

Upstairs was dedicated to the College crowd led by Kev Thomas who later owned Arcade Records. Downstairs was the Soul Cellar which featured Dave Williams(the D in the label BJD, the others being Brian and John and Alan Day(who was born Alan Parkin in Horsley Woodhouse). Later to be replaced by Geoff Wheeldon(Swifty) and John Heathcote(Hector). Steve Elliott followed by John Blach.

I first encountered them on Mansfield market around '68 before venturing to Nott'm and purchasing Everyday People-Sly and the Family Stone in 1970(I think!) from Selby.

The early days saw them buying from FL Moore before importing their own from Kape Records, New York and others.

As I mentioned to my colleague Richard Searling and to many other close friends, I believe without Selecta Disc and their mass distribution of Northern Soul, I doubt the scene would ever have evolved in popularity. When you think back to the real golden era of interest, Selecta Disc were the suppliers of the bulk of the scene's interest. And even though some of the major label's knew there were the typical moody releases' in the shop, they more than compensated themselves by tapping into Selecta's finger on the trigger awareness.

Epic in particular used the Nott'm outlet to gauge whether to release Billy Butler, Sandi Sheldon etc.

Kev

Social source share

Guest ktf mal

It was the best year of my life when i worked at SelectaDisc ( Leicester ) 74/75

Always loved Northern Soul from then on :lol:

KTF Malc

Social source share

Alan Day did not introduce to me Selecta Disc, John Brattan did.

The history of Selecta dates back to a market stall in 1967 ran by Brian Selby and his colleague Roy. Brattan worked at Syd Booths and became friendly with Selby.

They decided to open the legendary store in Arkwright St, Nottingham(later known as The Meadows).

Upstairs was dedicated to the College crowd led by Kev Thomas who later owned Arcade Records. Downstairs was the Soul Cellar which featured Dave Williams(the D in the label BJD, the others being Brian and John and Alan Day(who was born Alan Parkin in Horsley Woodhouse). Later to be replaced by Geoff Wheeldon(Swifty) and John Heathcote(Hector). Steve Elliott followed by John Blach.

I first encountered them on Mansfield market around '68 before venturing to Nott'm and purchasing Everyday People-Sly and the Family Stone in 1970(I think!) from Selby.

The early days saw them buying from FL Moore before importing their own from Kape Records, New York and others.

As I mentioned to my colleague Richard Searling and to many other close friends, I believe without Selecta Disc and their mass distribution of Northern Soul, I doubt the scene would ever have evolved in popularity. When you think back to the real golden era of interest, Selecta Disc were the suppliers of the bulk of the scene's interest. And even though some of the major label's knew there were the typical moody releases' in the shop, they more than compensated themselves by tapping into Selecta's finger on the trigger awareness.

Epic in particular used the Nott'm outlet to gauge whether to release Billy Butler, Sandi Sheldon etc.

Kev

Sorry Kev , all these years of thinking it was Alan . Was it that he introduced you to The Torch or have I got it all round my neck ?. It was a long time ago.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!