Have You Ever Dreamt Up A Record?

Guest rosies dad

Guest rosies dad

have you ever dreamt up a record that didnt exist? a complete figment of your imagination? i remember a dream i had a couple years

ago where i was digging thru a bunch of 45's in some sort of abandoned library with really high ceilings. the bookshelves were about 20 feet

tall, and up on top were boxes of old 45s. i was pulling stuff out and playing it on a portable record player and found some amazingly perfect

soul 45.. i was listening to it and everything....then i woke up...and had to admit to myself that i could never get that record, because it doesnt

even exist haha.. wish i could remember the name of it..

jacob

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest rosies dad

l've done most things,mate.....but not done that... no.gifthumbsup.gif

i dont recommend it webby...its frustrating enough to know you'll never be able to afford a particular record..but its even

more frustrating to know it was never even recorded hahaha

jacob

Social source share

Guest jerrio

I have!

I was at the 100 club (in my dream) and Ady played a female version of the Five Chances - Stranger I Love You (Finch).

I can't stand the Five Chances but this female version was incredible.

Any chance you could find it Ady? :laugh:

Forgive me for going off topic but I heard a female version of Jimmy Robbins I Just Cant Please You in a bar in London. The music was played through a computer system. Idid ask the barmaid who it was but she just looked at me as if Iwas daft. Does a female version exist? Wrighty.

Social source share

Jacob - I have a dream like that at least once a fortnight - it's always involving me going to a junk shop or record shop and looking through boxes of singles. How your brain does it, I don't know, but every record you look at has proper labels and titles. I had the dream lqst week, I was actually in the USA (something that would never happen in real life) and I went into a junk shop and found loads of records but the weird thing was, there were no US records, just UK and European. The only one I can remember distinctly is an Animals 10" on French London :thumbsup: this of course does not exist...but yeah, a really common dream for me - though I never remember how any of the songs go

Social source share

Forgive me for going off topic but I heard a female version of Jimmy Robbins I Just Cant Please You in a bar in London. The music was played through a computer system. Idid ask the barmaid who it was but she just looked at me as if Iwas daft. Does a female version exist? Wrighty.

I don't know one but I could make one for you in 5 minutes - thats probably what it was, a pitch-change job

Social source share

Guest jerrio

I don't know one but I could make one for you in 5 minutes - thats probably what it was, a pitch-change job

No i dont think so,same backing track.Sounded really good.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Yep.

As is usual for me, I can sing a snippet of 'my' song then ask what it is. Unusually for me, I can answer my own question with artist, label and title.

Mary Wells on Tamla. "Two wrongs don't make a right". A tearjerker recounting how Mary took revenge on her cheating man by doing the same to him, but realised, too late, that two..... you can guess the rest.

I can hear it playing in my head now, it's a corker! biggrin.gif

Social source share

I dreamt, years ago that I found an alternative vocal track to Eddie Parkers "Love You Baby" called "The Spotlights On You". The lyrics were amazing, about how his girl always wanted to be famous, but she gave up her stage career for her man... Probably my favourite unreleased, unrecorded record ever! :-)

Social source share

I dreamt, years ago that I found an alternative vocal track to Eddie Parkers "Love You Baby" called "The Spotlights On You". The lyrics were amazing, about how his girl always wanted to be famous, but she gave up her stage career for her man... Probably my favourite unreleased, unrecorded record ever! :-)

I'm gonna start asking Djs at local nights to play this ............. "haven't you heard it, it's a big Sean Hampsey play (in his head)"

Social source share

I have had a recurring dream that I have a box of Bill Hortons' 'I Wanna Know' on Shrine (rather than Kayden) for some unexplicable reason and I wake up in that half awake feeling that I'm going to make a shed load of money selling them... I've had this dream on and off for the last 5 or 6 years.... Weird what record collecting does to the brain!

Social source share

Guest rosies dad

I dreamt i was at a nighter and a tune by Peggy and the Babcocks came on at 4.00 in the morning.Cleared the floor.Nice bit of midtempo though.

sing it for us..
Social source share

Fascinating stuff Sean. The next time you get down here I must introduce you to a local bar called "The Priory" which will love this story and serve you up a great cocktail.........

I actually took this a stage further by putting in print some none-existent records on my Vinyl Junkies list around '77. I had a GREAT Stanley Mitchell invented track but I can't remember the title dammit..........

I got obsessed with artists and titles from looking through lists to the point where, if an artist or title appealed to me, that would often be enough for me to try and get the record. I liked the mystique of certain names - Duke Browner, Bob Relf, Bobby Treetop, the Tartans, The Wingate Love-In Strings, the Detroit Executives, the Kadoo Strings, Jimmy Conwell, Len Jewell etc, etc. Who were these people with such great names and such great f*ckin' records.....?

Surely the first acknowledged 'invention' must be Toby Turner's "My Room Is 6 by 6" on Musicor? Everybody wanted a vocal to Earl Van Dyke's "6 by 6" and someone invented one.........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Fascinating stuff Sean. The next time you get down here I must introduce you to a local bar called "The Priory" which will love this story and serve you up a great cocktail.........

Ian D :yes:

It's called 'creativity' Ian. :lol:

And my 'Dream Tune' was a whole lot better than that Capanni shite you've been peddlin' lately.

:D

Any road up.... aren't you at Cleggy this weekend?

Sean

Social source share

It's called 'creativity' Ian. tongue.gif

And my 'Dream Tune' was a whole lot better than that Capanni shite you've been peddlin' lately.

biggrin.gif

Any road up.... aren't you at Cleggy this weekend?

Sean

No mate. Just got back from a gig in Ibiza on Wednesday and going to Portsmouth later today......anything to get away from the 60 pages of bloody label copy that I've cranked out this week!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

have you ever dreamt up a record that didnt exist? a complete figment of your imagination? i remember a dream i had a couple years

ago where i was digging thru a bunch of 45's in some sort of abandoned library with really high ceilings. the bookshelves were about 20 feet

tall, and up on top were boxes of old 45s. i was pulling stuff out and playing it on a portable record player and found some amazingly perfect

soul 45.. i was listening to it and everything....then i woke up...and had to admit to myself that i could never get that record, because it doesnt

jacob

ive never dreamed up a tune that doesnt exist , but i have dreampt of tunes that id heard years ago and dont even know the name of ! i still dream of a tune every now and then that ive been after for years but as i havent got a clue about the name or even what the lyrics are then ive got no hope : (

Social source share

i,m convinced ive heard a vocal to the brothers "are you ready for this" called "taking you home to see mama", and i,m convinced it was on something like seaside special or something similar, just a dream or reality, also i think i remember having a knackered copy of magic corner by belita woods years ago and playing it in my bedroom, cant remember if i had it or not, where i got it from, old age, strong beer, its all merging into one !

Social source share

Guest Perception

have you ever dreamt up a record that didnt exist? a complete figment of your imagination?

When I came back from allnighters, with a buzzing in my ears, and tried to sleep i would always hear the same record playing.

Years later i found out it was "How Can I Forget" - Joey Dee Inst. Hum it now! and you will find out what I mean!!!!

Social source share

Guest joecool

jacob

Social source share

Guest joecool

jacob

No but ive always thought that if Culture Clubs Church Of The Poisened Minds had been done by an obscure american band it would have been megga on the scene

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Yeah. I had a dream the other night where I found this record. It was a UK girl singer from the 60s singing over the top of the old, "Tetley Bitter Men" theme (!) It had a label, an artist name and a title. The lyrics were nothing to do with Tetley Bitter (nor the Men who took their name from it). And in my dream, I actually did some research and found out some background info on the singer. When I woke up I could remember all these details but alas, they are all gone now...

..Anyone got it or know what it is?

(btw, Mary Wells, "Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right" actually exists).

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Guest son of stan

PS There also is a vocal version of "Are You Ready For this?" but it's called, "Get Ready For This," not, "Gonna Take You Home To See Mama" (although maybe, "get ready for this.." is an invitation to prepare for the impending visit to the maternal domicile.....). Got it somewhere but it's not all that good so I can't be arsed trawling through to see who it's by and you probably know it anyway...

The Brothers also did a sequel called, "Were You Ready For That?"..played at the legendary Loft in NYC, apparently. Not bad, but in the way of most sequels not as good as the original.

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Well I had a dream not so long back where I heard a version of The Impressions "Gypsy Woman" in a foreign language which I didn't understand...(now watch someone post that there actually *is* one :hatsoff2: )

i think joe bataan's version has a little spanish in it

Social source share

Big Al told me about Tommy's Hunt's Vocal to tune up on friday ( move on) is it called, is this for real, or has tommy decided

to add his vocal on top recently? While we're @ it Dave Evison played a femme vocal of Backstreet at my last do- who dat?

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

(btw, Mary Wells, "Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right" actually exists).

So there is. How bizarre. I wasn't consciously aware of it before.

I just had a listen on YouTube and it's much earlier sounding than 'mine'. The tune & lyrics are different too. Mine is about 1966-67 I think.

So it's finally come to this...I'm giving my opinion as to when a record that doesn't actually exist was recorded. I've finally gone outside and met meself coming back, as they say.

Social source share

PS There also is a vocal version of "Are You Ready For this?" but it's called, "Get Ready For This," not, "Gonna Take You Home To See Mama" (although maybe, "get ready for this.." is an invitation to prepare for the impending visit to the maternal domicile.....). Got it somewhere but it's not all that good so I can't be arsed trawling through to see who it's by and you probably know it anyway...

The Brothers also did a sequel called, "Were You Ready For That?"..played at the legendary Loft in NYC, apparently. Not bad, but in the way of most sequels not as good as the original.

get ready for this by revelation is not the vocal to are you ready for this !, i can see it now "taking you home to see mama", surely out of all us sad people on here someone must be able to get a tracklisting of artists and songs from seaside special !

Social source share

Guest son of stan

get ready for this by revelation is not the vocal to are you ready for this !,

Oh sorry. I didn't say "the vocal to," I said "a vocal version of". Obviously not the same backing or arrangement but certainly the same notes played in the same order. Of course it is!

I listened to it again though, and I will admit I was wrong about something-it's actually really good.

"Take you back home to see Mama", indeed....:rolleyes::wink:

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Big Al told me about Tommy's Hunt's Vocal to tune up on friday ( move on) is it called, is this for real, or has tommy decided

to add his vocal on top recently? While we're @ it Dave Evison played a femme vocal of Backstreet at my last do- who dat?

Back Street --female vocal is Tina Lewis------ask Neil Rushton!!!

T.C.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!