News: Look Whats Just Out! - A Stunning Compilation Of Soul!

• Replies 59
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just want to give everyone immediate 'heads up' on one of the most exciting Soul Music compilations in ages!

Got mine in the post today - its excellent - I pre-ordered on Amazon - free postage too - £8.95 all insmile.gif

Word of warning - not sure if it is me or 'Gracenotes' but when I download to Itunes it puts the Ovations track out of order so that all the songs titles after track 9 are out of order - needed to manually edit all the titles!! Titles in upper case too - which is unusual.

Mike

Social source share

Yes do tell Steve! Have all the rights and archive material being sorted out as i know there were rumours of problems and copyright/ownership?

Ordered a copy of Steppin' Stone and really really cannot wait. The first 2 volumes were winners in themselves and this looks like its going to top them!

It's fantastic to know there's still great music out there still being discovered and issued. Hats off to everyone at Ace/Kent.

Social source share

Guest Kev Briscoe

Wonderful mate. Bloody Wonderful!

:-)

Mine arrived today as well via Amazon!

Great to hear the tracks in the comfort of my own home as oppossed to Sean's car (even if it does have an excellent sound system!)

I've already copied it onto my 'pod, so I'll check the gracenotes later Mike!

The Spencer Wiggins cd should be out next, but I can't wait to get the Candi Staton track in my grubby little paws!!!

Great work from the guys at Ace/Kent.

Can we now have the complete FAME back catalogue please!?!?!?!?

Kev

Social source share

Guest Kev Briscoe

Music has never been so cheap.

You lot seem to like cheap music. You've got cheap taste.

yes.gif

Hi Paul,

When is your Sam Dees 45 due out?

Kev

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

You can also get it on eBay from boogaloo161 (Roger Stewart) "buy it now" for £9.99 with free postage.

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item335dd686ae

I get quite a lot of Ace/Kent stuff etc from him.

Highly recommended.

Paul, agreed. Like yourself I get my Ace/Kent CDs from Boogaloo161. Very good seller with a great selection and at a very good price.

Can only endorse everything Sean and others have said about "Steppin' Stone". Excellent!

Very much looking forward to the Fame and Spencer Wiggins CDs coming out.

God I love this music

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Me too, just hope it comes before the train journey to Cleethorpes ( I was too tight to pay the one day delivery, no dount not opening my sporran strings will come back to haunt me!)

Is the Spencer Wiggins one going to be at Cleggy does anyone know as want that one NOW too.

Social source share

Paul, agreed. Like yourself I get my Ace/Kent CDs from Boogaloo161. Very good seller with a great selection and at a very good price.

Can only endorse everything Sean and others have said about "Steppin' Stone". Excellent!

Very much looking forward to the Fame and Spencer Wiggins CDs coming out.

God I love this music

thumbsup.gif

Just seen this, yes this is great news, used to buy all my Kent stuff of Roger, always a great service, just got a bit difficult when he didnt take CC's but now with paypal this is where I will buy all future Kent stuff, and do some back catalouge shopping too.

Social source share

..one minor point about the sleeve notes - 'I Love you More Than You'll Ever' was originally performed by Blood Sweat and Tears - (written by band member Al Kooper) and recorded some 5 years before Donny Hathaway's 'original version' - as much as I love Donny's version - credit where credit is due, Mike

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Just seen this, yes this is great news, used to buy all my Kent stuff of Roger, always a great service, just got a bit difficult when he didnt take CC's but now with paypal this is where I will buy all future Kent stuff, and do some back catalouge shopping too.

Yeah, I've got a lot of back shopping to do as well. Ok, you may want to trawl through his other items but if you're specifically looking for Kent releases amongst his sales then just search his items for either Kent (obviously) CDKEN or CDKEND. Slightly cheaper on his website but the postage is extra so with the all-in Ebay price of £9.99 there's really hardly any difference.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

well done again Ace records, they keep coming up with the goods. Really looking forward to the Fame stuff too, anyone who knows the story is aware that it has taken a hell of a long time to get this wonderful back catalogue out there.

Social source share

Guest Kev Briscoe

well done again Ace records, they keep coming up with the goods. Really looking forward to the Fame stuff too, anyone who knows the story is aware that it has taken a hell of a long time to get this wonderful back catalogue out there.

Correct Mark, it has taken a long time for the back catalogue to see the light of day.

Some of us has been chipping away at Rodney Hall (Rick's son) to release this stuff for a long time.

Hell, I even went over to Muscle Shoals myself to persuade 'em! I knew we should have taken Bully with us!

What I don't know yet is if there will be selected re issues of the FAME stuff, or the whole lot!

We need ACE to do with FAME what they did with Goldwax, issue all the 45's both 'A' and 'B' sides!

Kev

Social source share

Correct Mark, it has taken a long time for the back catalogue to see the light of day.

Some of us has been chipping away at Rodney Hall (Rick's son) to release this stuff for a long time.

Hell, I even went over to Muscle Shoals myself to persuade 'em! I knew we should have taken Bully with us!

What I don't know yet is if there will be selected re issues of the FAME stuff, or the whole lot!

We need ACE to do with FAME what they did with Goldwax, issue all the 45's both 'A' and 'B' sides!

Kev

too right Kev, after all this is to southern soul what Shrine is to the northern scene:yes:

Social source share

Guest littlemissoul

too right Kev, after all this is to southern soul what Shrine is to the northern sceneyes.gif

Now sold out sad.gif

Social source share

too right Kev, after all this is to southern soul what Shrine is to the northern sceneyes.gif

I'm assured there's a huge bunch of stuff yet to see the light of day, Mark, from the likes of George Soule, Bettye Swann, Candi Staton, Spencer Wiggins, Marcell Strong, Roscoe Robinson etc.

The Candi Staton "One More Hurt" is an outstanding dancer (I'll be playing at Rugby next weekend, if you can't make Just Soul) but the deep stuff is also mouthwatering, by all accounts!

Spare a thought for poor Mr Rounce, who has had to endure the past nine months, wading through all those dusty old tapes!

Don't envy him for a minute, poor guy! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Kev

Kev,

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be deeper than deep, hell the Paul Anka'll probably make it onto summat!

Ady

Social source share

Now sold out sad.gif

That might be my fault I'm afraid - Certainly on Amazon anyway. Bought an extra copy for a friend (and it showed only 1 left) as a birthday gift - though I'm sure there are plenty of other soul sellers with stock.

Just to re-iterate on the forthcoming Fame CD (or CD's?) the years of posts on the southern soul forum and stop starts on the whole project would make this one of the most eagerly awaited re-issue programmes going. Personally cannot wait - do we have a finger in the air release date at all?

Social source share

In a way the new Spencer available at Cleethorpes tomorrow is the start of it, and there were the Jimmy Hughes CDs earlier and a Candi or two and others scheduled. But the big push will be next year for the 50th anniversary of Arthur Alexander's You'd Beeter Move On. But we won't get into any more details as I've got a Wiggins show to run and this thread is on XL/Sound Of Memphis' treasures.

Social source share

Guest Kev Briscoe

Kev,

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be deeper than deep, hell the Paul Anka'll probably make it onto summat!

Ady

Hi Ady,

Congatulations for yet another stunning compilation, you've certainly done the musical heritage of Memphis / Muscle Shoals proud over the last few years!!

Best of luck with the Wiggins Brothers on Saturday, still can't believe I'm going to see and hear them!!

Kev

Social source share

Guest Kev Briscoe

Kev,

Ady

Hi Ady,

Congatulations for yet another stunning compilation, you've certainly done the musical heritage of Memphis / Muscle Shoals proud over the last few years!!

Best of luck with the Wiggins Brothers on Saturday, still can't believe I'm going to see and hear them!!

Kev

Social source share

Guest Paul

Hi Paul,

When is your Sam Dees 45 due out?

Kev

Hello Kev,

The Selecta/Shotgun 45s by Sam Dees and Eddie Floyd will be out early July, as soon as I've caught up with jobs for other clients.

Extra busy here because I'm also pressing some more Eli 'Paperboy' Reed 45s for Capitol/EMI (a commercial batch for sale in the USA next month), a Four Tops 45 for Phil Dick's Soul Intention label and an indie 45 for a UK group.

By the way, I've just finished mastering and design work on a "new" George Jackson CD album for Garry Cape's Soulscape label. It's called All Because Of Your Love and is a continuation of the Grapevine albums George Jackson in Muscle Shoals (2002) and What Would Your Mama Say? (2005). It's at the plant now and will be released on June 21st.

Best wishes,

Paul

www.selectarecords.com

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Guest Kev Briscoe

Hello Kev,

The Selecta/Shotgun 45s by Sam Dees and Eddie Floyd will be out early July, as soon as I've caught up with jobs for other clients.

Extra busy here because I'm also pressing some more Eli 'Paperboy' Reed 45s for Capitol/EMI (a commercial batch for sale in the USA next month), a Four Tops 45 for Phil Dick's Soul Intention label and an indie 45 for a UK group.

By the way, I've just finished mastering and design work on a "new" George Jackson CD album for Garry Cape's Soulscape label. It's called All Because Of Your Love and is a continuation of the Grapevine albums George Jackson in Muscle Shoals (2002) and What Would Your Mama Say? (2005). It's at the plant now and will be released on June 21st.

Best wishes,

Thanks for the update Paul, looking forward to hearing the 45's when they are issued.

Really enjoyed Eli's latest CD, trust we'll be able to pick up the 45's over here as well?

Already pre ordered George Jackson from Garry!

regards,

Kev

l

www.selectarecords.com

Social source share

Guest Paul

...Really enjoyed Eli's latest CD, trust we'll be able to pick up the 45's over here as well?...

regards,

Kev

Hello Kev,

The retro Capitol 45s (numbered 31357) were only for sale on Eli's EU and US tours (the US tour actually starts today) and I also made a batch for Capitol/EMI New York to use for promotion.

The new batch (for EMI Music Distribution) are commercial copies for sale in the USA before the album is released over there (August). It's a limited edition but I expect some might end up on eBay etc. They'll have a different catalogue number (26684) and modified label text but will retain the general retro style.

I think they'll become pretty collectable.

Paul

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm assured there's a huge bunch of stuff yet to see the light of day, Mark, from the likes of George Soule, Bettye Swann, Candi Staton, Spencer Wiggins, Marcell Strong, Roscoe Robinson etc.

The Candi Staton "One More Hurt" is an outstanding dancer (I'll be playing at Rugby next weekend, if you can't make Just Soul) but the deep stuff is also mouthwatering, by all accounts!

Spare a thought for poor Mr Rounce, who has had to endure the past nine months, wading through all those dusty old tapes!

Don't envy him for a minute, poor guy! sad.gif

:thumbup:

Sean

Yes, Sean, toiling away at the tape coalface for hours on end, the slog only broken by frequent trips to the Garden Gate Cafe - I really don't know how we withstand it all.....:thumbup:

...and we're such gluttons for punishement that Dean, Alec and I will be Memphis and Muscle Shoals bound again next weekend for a further 10 days of repairing tape splices and getting covered in shedding oxide.

Honestly, the things we do for you, lot, I dunno!!!!!!:hatsoff2::lol::thumbsup::lol::thumbup:

Seriously, we can't wait to be back in MS. There's still plenty of good-looking stuff to transfer, and if we run out of that we can always investigate the unissued Liza Minnelli album...

Once we've done that and a number of yet-to-be-connected contractual dots are joined, the projects will flow like wine.

And to answer someone's question, yes, the brand new Kent Spencer CD with 'Breaking Point' WILL be on sale at Cleggy, as will a special, limited edition Kent Select 'Let's Talk It Over' T-shirt, perfect for wearing while you watch our lot beat their lot at footie on Saturday night!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Ady,

Kev -

I'm sure that Ady would be on here himself to correct you, if he wasn't so busy with Cleggy prep work.

If he was, he would be the first to say that the bulk of the congratulations for this project should be directed at our colleague Dean Rudland who put it together, and - to a lesser degree - to Alec Palao and yours truly, who did the tape research and copying down in Muscle Shoals.

Credit where credit's due, please! :thumbup:

Social source share

Yes, Sean, toiling away at the tape coalface for hours on end, the slog only broken by frequent trips to the Garden Gate Cafe - I really don't know how we withstand it all.....:lol:

...and we're such gluttons for punishement that Dean, Alec and I will be Memphis and Muscle Shoals bound again next weekend for a further 10 days of repairing tape splices and getting covered in shedding oxide.

Honestly, the things we do for you, lot, I dunno!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yep - I can think of a lot worse ways to make a living.

Did I ever tell you about my old job... with Jayne Mansfield and the lobsters?

:D

Oh, and when you're next there, please pass on the Rotherham lads fondest regards to Suzanne Bolton.

The sweetest lady in the whole of Alabama!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Kev Briscoe

Kev -

I'm sure that Ady would be on here himself to correct you, if he wasn't so busy with Cleggy prep work.

If he was, he would be the first to say that the bulk of the congratulations for this project should be directed at our colleague Dean Rudland who put it together, and - to a lesser degree - to Alec Palao and yours truly, who did the tape research and copying down in Muscle Shoals.

Credit where credit's due, please! :thumbsup:

Hi Tony,

Consider my wrists well and truly slapped!!!

A huge 'hats off' and 'thank you' to yourself, Dean and Alec for all your hard work!!

I'll let Sean buy you all a beer at Cleggy!!

Kev

Social source share

Kev -

Credit where credit's due, please! laugh.gif

Hi Tony,

I've to dig out the photos of you doing the Question and answer session flanked by Spencer, Percy, J Blackfoot & Oscar Toney Jr in Porretta.

Priceless mate, really looking forward to the new releases

Social source share

Guest Kev Briscoe

Hi Tony,

I've to dig out the photos of you doing the Question and answer session flanked by Spencer, Percy, J Blackfoot & Oscar Toney Jr in Porretta.

Priceless mate, really looking forward to the new releases

Stop name dropping Mark!!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Did I ever tell you about my old job... with Jayne Mansfield and the lobsters?

..Lobsterissimus Bumbakissimus, eh?

I've just been down to rehearsals for the weekend, in time to hear the first ever live performance of 'Breaking Point'...

...Both Spencer and Percy are really up for the weekend and can't wait to sing for y'all.thumbup.gif

TONE

PS - I'm not going to change your sheets again, Mr. Hampsey....

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Just so everyone's kept in the loop, Kent's next essential southern soul CD (after this one and Spencer Wiggins) will be out at the end of July:

Jimmy Hughes - Something Extra Special - The Complete Volt Recordings (i.e. the album, the non-album 45 and a staggering fourteen fabulous unissued tracks!)

I've just been approving the finished master - it really, really lives up to its title, especially the four unissued titles from the Royal Studios session with Hi Rhythm, and Al Jackson in the producer's chair...yes.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!