Flamma Sherman (Sounds Of The Sixties)

Dean

Interesting to hear Brian Mathew on SOTS this weekend, "Written and performed by four sisters from Liberia as Flamma Sherman, they were in fact the daughters of that countries ambassador in London, George Flamma Sherman". BBC iplayer 41min.30

Didn't know that.

Googled Flamma Sherman to find info on The artist Corina Flamma Sherman:

"She later developed as Musician and song writer(as part of the 4 sister act group called the 'Sherman Sisters'wrote songs such as Bassa love, and became Englands first all black girls pop group who worked with the Beatles) documented and photographed by Vogue."

Didn't know that!

You could fill a library with what I don't know.

Still love Where is He and play it out sometimes, remember it from East Anglia Soul Club St Ives and Phoenix at Peterborough (76/77?). Any other recommended tracks by Sherman Sisters or Flamma Sherman known and played?

post-5677-12764739052278_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Must admit, I always had a soft spot for this 45 Dean. I bought it in a pile of UK Demos from an old Radio DJ friend - Diddy Dave Frost.

Anything on a UK Demo I paid a quid for and this was one of em, all mint and complete with Release Sheets.

I always thought at the time of covering it up - as Reparata & The Delrons :hatsoff2:. Its not really much of a Soul record, but a fascinating bit of Hippie / Psyche and I was surprised to hear, a couple of years later, that it had had plays, though I'm pretty sure I never heard it out.

Out of curiousity, only about a year or so ago, I researched the artist (thinking it was a soloist) and came up with the same info as you did, so, yes, I did know they were the daughters of the Liberian Ambassador!

Good Lookers, by all accounts too! :)

Also found out that the SNB label belonged to ex Yardbirds Manager, Simon Napier Bell and actor David Hemming.

Pretty sure I've seen mostly DEMO's of this over the years :g:

Found this snippet from Record Collector that may be of interest, Dean.

It's an interview with Simon Napier Bell by Ian Shirley.

I started the SNB label in 1968 mainly because I'd got myself into an impossible production deal with EMI - they had the exclusive right to all records I produced but didn't have to pay for them. (The result of a substantial champagne lunch with the managing director two years earlier after which I'd gone back to the office and signed a contract - the incredible foolishness of inexperience). The idea of the SNB label was that I would be able to produce records at CBS's expense and release them without a production credit but under a label named after my initials. The first artist we signed was Flamma Sherman - four exquisite sisters from Liberia with a very domineering but charming mum who bought them to me and persuaded me to sign them. (She was was the wife of the Liberian ambassador in London, George Flamma Sherman.) The girls were a posh bunch, all at public school in the UK, and exceptionally pretty. The first record was 'No Need To Explain' which they'd written themselves with a little help from Bach ('Air on a G string'). The string and brass arrangements were done by Ian Green, one of the top arrangers round town (Sandie Shaw, Peter Sarstedt, etc). The resulting record was extraordinarily atmospheric - in two sections, the first slow and drifting, the second up-tempo with much ad-libbing, but not in the style of American soul, more African, which wasn't surprising. At Radio One half a dozen of the top DJs flipped over it, including Kenny Everett. The weekend of release it was played five or six times each day but then disaster struck, Radio One had a strike. The station was off the air for two weeks and by the time it came back many new records were stacked up waiting for release. The producers of the various programmes that plugged new records decided not to go back to previous records but to go only for new ones. The record fizzled out, and although the group made a couple more singles neither were as potentially chart-topping as the first. So rather than become pop stars the girls stayed at school and went on to do the things their family background required of them.

There's an Obit to the Mother here, and the girls are named in the family list.

https://www.liberianonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=895

All very boring... unless you're really interested! :D

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

One of the 'Sherman Sisters' here, working now as an Artist, and a brief Bio.

Quote "part of the 4 sister act group called the 'Sherman Sisters'wrote songs such as Bassa love, and became Englands first all black girls pop group who worked with the Beatles.

https://www.saatchi-g...le//103298.html

There is a CD of SNB tracks also available called Sunday Sunshine, released in Oct 2008, featuring a couple of Flamma Sherman tracks; "Move Me" (the topside to "Where Is He") and "Bassa Love".

https://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B001FYUFMS

But none of them are as good as Eddie Parkers fantastic, unreleased, unrecorded, 'The Spotlight's On You' Dean :thumbsup:.

:hatsoff2:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Must admit, I always had a soft spot for this 45 Dean. I bought it in a pile of UK Demos from an old Radio DJ friend - Diddy Dave Frost.

I always thought at the time of covering it up - as Reparata & The Delrons :rolleyes:. Its not really much of a Soul record, but a fascinating bit of Hippie / Psyche and I was surprised to hear, a couple of years later, that it had had plays, though I'm pretty sure I never heard it out.

Out of curiousity, only about a year or so ago, I researched the artist (thinking it was a soloist) and came up with the same info as you did, so, yes, I did know they were the daughters of the Liberian Ambassador!

Good Lookers, by all accounts too! :smile:Always a good reason to look further.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

I don't know how widely Where is He was played. Think I have it on a tape from St Ives around '77 (could be '76). A substantial slice of "northern" could be argued to be not much of a soul record, feels different from the floor. The tape I have (somewhere) has the substantial unison hand-clapping that was a part of dance floor reaction at this time. Like your early comment, I'd always presumed Flamma was a female solo name not a group name. I'd be interested to hear anything out there under The Sherman Sisters. Might try to have a look at old Beatles footage too. All intersting to me Sean, quite often the story is bettr than the record, which just adds to the record. The Saatchi on-line site that has the pic of Corina Sherman on also has her daughter Zo Koko Flamma-Hill, also an artist. Funny thing site says she lived / studied in St Ives for a while, but I presume this is St Ives Cornwall not Cambridgeshire, given the artist community there.

By the way, nobody played Eddie Parker 'Spotlights on You' at North Wingfield on Sat, definitely an underplayed (non)sound.

Thanks for posting, enjoyed the info. Dean

Social source share

By the way, nobody played Eddie Parker 'Spotlights on You' at North Wingfield on Sat, definitely an underplayed (non)sound.

Thanks for posting, enjoyed the info. Dean

Yep - the Parker 45 is a great underplayed, unknown, unreleased, unrecorded bit of tuneage!

Maybe some day! :thumbsup:

:hatsoff2:

Sean

Social source share

Guest martyn

I only ever heard this played at EASC allnighters from late 76 / 77 right into the early 80s - not saying it never got plays away from St Ives & Peterborough , its just I don't recall hearing it any where else...........I know Hammie used to play it & (I think ) John Vincent used to spin it too .

Whats it fetch now ?

Social source share

I only ever heard this played at EASC allnighters from late 76 / 77 right into the early 80s - not saying it never got plays away from St Ives & Peterborough , its just I don't recall hearing it any where else...........I know Hammie used to play it & (I think ) John Vincent used to spin it too .

Whats it fetch now ?

Hi Martyn. That's where and when I remenber it from. Sort of record that slips under the radar these days, think JM guide (mine may be getting out of date now) has it at £50/£75 for issue demo (not at home to check but was looking the other day). I picked up a vg+++ pink DJ a couple of years ago on ebay for around £10 (in pic above), sold my blue issue (no centre, vg- label, vg+ record) for about £25 I think. May not see too many but would think not too pricey when you do. Great builder of a tune imo, subtle start building to a passionate haunting tune after quiet intro.

Social source share

Guest martyn

Hi Martyn. That's where and when I remenber it from. Sort of record that slips under the radar these days, think JM guide (mine may be getting out of date now) has it at £50/£75 for issue demo (not at home to check but was looking the other day). I picked up a vg+++ pink DJ a couple of years ago on ebay for around £10 (in pic above), sold my blue issue (no centre, vg- label, vg+ record) for about £25 I think. May not see too many but would think not too pricey when you do. Great builder of a tune imo, subtle start building to a passionate haunting tune after quiet intro.

Thanks for the info mate thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dean,

Look what I just found!

Nice pic of the Flamma Sherman Sisters.

Lovely!

:thumbup:

Sean

Thanks Sean, great art work. There isn't a similar one, as part of a set, for autumn when the leaves fall is there? They do look the part of debs don't they. I wonder if they ever supported live or any footage of them with The Beatles?.

Social source share

Thanks Sean, great art work. There isn't a similar one, as part of a set, for autumn when the leaves fall is there? They do look the part of debs don't they. I wonder if they ever supported live or any footage of them with The Beatles?.

Dunno Dean,

The image is from the November 1968 issue of Vogue!

Top totty mate.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Guest rosies dad

hey ive got a 50 count box of unplayed Eddie Parker "spotlights on you" if anybody wants them..all demos and acetates. Send me money and ill ship em asap haha

Social source share

Dunno Dean,

The image is from the November 1968 issue of Vogue!

Top totty mate.

:lol:

Sean

I'm aware this has turned into a 2 party discussion that we could do by pm, but hell I think it's interesting.

Sean - absolutely fascinated that the image is from Vogue in '68. Gonna start a fan club up. Probabaly only about 70 years old if they're still going, could be well fit still and looking for a younger man :thumbup:. . . . . . . . . . . spotlight on me

Social source share

Guest martyn

I'm aware this has turned into a 2 party discussion that we could do by pm, but hell I think it's interesting.

Sean - absolutely fascinated that the image is from Vogue in '68. Gonna start a fan club up. Probabaly only about 70 years old if they're still going, could be well fit still and looking for a younger man :rolleyes:. . . . . . . . . . . spotlight on me

:yes:

If they were 18 then that would only make them 62 , definatly worth checking out :D

Social source share

• 10 years later...
On 14/06/2010 at 20:37, Guest martyn said:

I only ever heard this played at EASC allnighters from late 76 / 77 right into the early 80s - not saying it never got plays away from St Ives & Peterborough , its just I don't recall hearing it any where else...........I know Hammie used to play it & (I think )

John Vincent used to spin it too .

Edited by Simon T
wrong thread
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!