Sly Slick & Wicked - People Records

I'd not noticed this until recently, but there are two different label colours for this release (probably other releases like this also I guess)

One is red, the other a bluey purple.

I just wondered if there was any particular reason for it, later issue / different pressing plant etc.

Is one more common than the other?

Any ideas?

Sly, Slick & Wicked "Ready for you" / "Sho' nuff" - People 625

post-5094-12765477547281_thumb.jpg

post-5094-12765477887403_thumb.jpg

post-5094-12765478073734_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Lots of the James Brown, JB's etc of the same period are the same John, as i'm sure your aware.....has to be different pressing plant I would think. Recall finding a small wad of the Sly Slick & Wicked in a London rare groove dealers lock up in the mid 90s, all red ones and as mint as the day they were pressed....lovely.....always thought that it couldn't have sold particularly well at the time of release, a very different record to anything else that was coming out on the label....

Cheers Gareth

I'd not noticed this until recently, but there are two different label colours for this release (probably other releases like this also I guess)

One is red, the other a bluey purple.

I just wondered if there was any particular reason for it, later issue / different pressing plant etc.

Is one more common than the other?

Any ideas?

Sly, Slick & Wicked "Ready for you" / "Sho' nuff" - People 625

post-5094-12765477547281_thumb.jpg

post-5094-12765477887403_thumb.jpg

post-5094-12765478073734_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Lots of the James Brown, JB's etc of the same period are the same John, as i'm sure your aware.....has to be different pressing plant I would think. Recall finding a small wad of the Sly Slick & Wicked in a London rare groove dealers lock up in the mid 90s, all red ones and as mint as the day they were pressed....lovely.....always thought that it couldn't have sold particularly well at the time of release, a very different record to anything else that was coming out on the label....

Cheers Gareth

Thanks Gareth, yes, I did have a feeling there would be others on that label, it's just that I'd not actually noticed it before.no.gif

Yep, also as you say - it's a very different record to most others on that label.

In fact off hand I can only think of a couple of others that stand out: Sweet Charles "Why can't I be treated like a man" and Lyn Collins "Wide awake in a dream".... but that's probably a different topic I supposewink.gif

Any other thoughts while the anorak is out - which colour is more common for example?rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Thanks Gareth, yes, I did have a feeling there would be others on that label, it's just that I'd not actually noticed it before.no.gif

Yep, also as you say - it's a very different record to most others on that label.

In fact off hand I can only think of a couple of others that stand out: Sweet Charles "Why can't I be treated like a man" and Lyn Collins "Wide awake in a dream".... but that's probably a different topic I supposewink.gif

Any other thoughts while the anorak is out - which colour is more common for example?rolleyes.gif

its got to be the blue :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

I know that the purple sly slick wicked was pressed on vinyl while the red copies where styrene. Not sure about the other People 45s.

and like Boba said, in chicago, we only really find the Red copies.

Social source share

Thanks Gareth, yes, I did have a feeling there would be others on that label, it's just that I'd not actually noticed it before.:no:

In fact off hand I can only think of a couple of others that stand out: Sweet Charles "Why can't I be treated like a man" and Lyn Collins "Wide awake in a dream".... but that's probably a different topic I suppose:wink:

Any other thoughts while the anorak is out - which colour is more common for example?:rolleyes:

Gloria Lynne For your Precious Love is another one These records are definitley 'Cuckoo in the nest'

Top Sounds though

Social source share

I know that the purple sly slick wicked was pressed on vinyl while the red copies where styrene. Not sure about the other People 45s.

and like Boba said, in chicago, we only really find the Red copies.

Just noticed that my "red" People records are Styrene and all my "purple" ones are Vinyl, so maybe the different coloured labels are just down to different pressing plants as stated?

steve

Social source share

Thanks for that guysthumbsup.gif

So it does seem that the red labels could be Styrene whereas the blue / purple ones are vinyl?

I suppose that's possible, but no doubt someone will turn up some the opposite waybiggrin.gif

Also, yes I did realise I'd missed out the Gloria Walker 45 from the list of exceptions to the 'funky' rule - if you get what I meanwink.gif

Any more thoughts / additions welcome BTW...

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Thanks for that guysthumbsup.gif

So it does seem that the red labels could be Styrene whereas the blue / purple ones are vinyl?

I suppose that's possible, but no doubt someone will turn up some the opposite way:D

Also, yes I did realise I'd missed out the Gloria Walker 45 from the list of exceptions to the 'funky' rule - if you get what I mean:wink:

Any more thoughts / additions welcome BTW...

Correctamundo John............my copy is purple and definately on styrene.......Ivor

Social source share

Correctamundo John............my copy is purple and definately on styrene.......Ivor

What Ivor...? My assumption is correct but your purple copy is sytrene or did you mean vinyl? :lol:

Anyway, for the 'record' my copies of SS&W and Gloria Walker are most definately both purple and vinyl :thumbsup:

I'm not sure about the Sweet Charles & Lynn Collins just yet though - until I find them out.

Social source share

What Ivor...? My assumption is correct but your purple copy is sytrene or did you mean vinyl? :lol:

Anyway, for the 'record' my copies of SS&W and Gloria Walker are most definately both purple and vinyl :thumbsup:

I'm not sure about the Sweet Charles & Lynn Collins just yet though - until I find them out.

My Sweet Charles is red but can't remember if it's styrene or vinyl.. I am 99% certain James Brown "Hot Pants" is purple on vinyl & styrene.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert