• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Keeps On Burning-Burning Bush

Tough Girl-Billy Arnell

Did l say one? :rolleyes:

Good call Philip .

Those two tunes were very popular , and possibly the most representative of St Ives at the time .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest martyn

As Well as those mentioned ;

Camp - Marching (Sam)

7 The Loser - Eric Lomax (Ginger)

You Want It You Got It -Donald Austin (Ginger)

Closer - Les Femme (Sam)

Interplay- Dereck & Ray ( Ginger )

Along Comes Mary- Baja Marimba (Ginger)

Center City - Fat Larry (Ginger)

Where Is He- Flamma Sherman (Hammie)

Gift Of Love- Ann Marrie (John Vincent)

Pusherman- JC Calier (Ginger)

Without a doubt the best allnighter in the country in 1977 (IMO ) , was head & shoulders above anywhere else (including Wigan ) for new sounds . Remember Rug playing Lester Tipton as a newie there in the summer of 77 hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Been mentioned but Tough Girl (the marine boy track :ohmy:) for definite!! Still is one of the best if not the best venue's in the country which is why I attend the reunion in Autumn!!

Social source share

Guest SteveC

soul step - the dogs

sharpettes - lost in a world of a dream

coasters - crazy baby

kelly st.clair - hear that beat

fantastic memories & venue!!

Yes yes yes ...nice one Russ.........Soul Step. How could I forget. Heard it out recently too but can't recall where

Social source share

Guest martyn

thumbsup.gifyes.gif And the place itself was immaculate.....never seen a slippier dancefloor due to the polishing.. no.gif

My first allnighter was at St Ives in January 76 , so I have a soft spot for the place anyway but I recon your right about the place being immaculate yes.gif ..................Does anyone else remember the night Gloria Jones was on , (July 76 - I'v still got the poster advertising it ) & they held it in that huge sports hall next door ? It just didn't seem the same atmosphere even though it was rammed .

Social source share

Actually, my mistake. I didnt make '77.... i first went in 78. Harrys mini bus, the Rice brothers, Paul Sadot, seems a bloody long time ago . very slippery dancefloor i recall. i also remember thumbing a lift there once, the truck driver dropped me off at Huntingdon station and i managed to get a lift with some guys who hotwired a car :rolleyes::hatsoff2: to get us the few miles to St Ives.

I have no hesitation in saying that the recreation centre was a fab venue, the oldies room sticks in my mind as the best place to be at any soul club i've visited. pitch dark with just a light behind the decks..... even darker when Brian Rae's belly blocked the light :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest martyn

Nate Evans hatsoff2.gif great tune

mine are :

Eddie Garrigan - I wish i was

Susan Coleman - the age of the wolf

Ann D'andrea - Dont stop looking (oldies room)

Ian

Susan Colman yes.gif absolutely St Ives 77 thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest martyn

Actually, my mistake. I didnt make '77.... i first went in 78. Harrys mini bus, the Rice brothers, Paul Sadot, seems a bloody long time ago . very slippery dancefloor i recall. i also remember thumbing a lift there once, the truck driver dropped me off at Huntingdon station and i managed to get a lift with some guys who hotwired a car ohmy.giflaugh.gif to get us the few miles to St Ives.

I have no hesitation in saying that the recreation centre was a fab venue, the oldies room sticks in my mind as the best place to be at any soul club i've visited. pitch dark with just a light behind the decks..... even darker when Brian Rae's belly blocked the light thumbup.gif

It can't have been 78 mate - the allnighters got stopped by the police in November 77 & didn't start again untill 84 . The Dayers there didn't start untill 79 .........You mind must be playing tricks thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest martyn

Don't remember that but l do remember Geno Washington and The Ram Jam Band playing there........and they were shocking!! yes.gifyes.gif

I didn't go that night , but I did hear they were crap.............and then he booked them again at The Wirrina for some strange reason (which I did have the misfortune to see huh.gif )

Social source share

It can't have been 78 mate - the allnighters got stopped by the police in November 77 & didn't start again untill 84 . The Dayers there didn't start untill 79 .........You mind must be playing tricks thumbsup.gif

blimey... i got lost in a time warp. maybe it was 77. i was only about 15/16

Social source share

Guest martyn

Eddie Regan or should I say "John Madara Play the game of love", And Sam playing the wonderful Betty Fikes.

And a gorgeous dark skinned girl from Norwich, I think, all of us from Southampton were in love with.

Great times.

We heard you the first time !:D

Would the girl from Norwich have been Linda G ?

Social source share

My first allnighter was at St Ives in January 76 , so I have a soft spot for the place anyway but I recon your right about the place being immaculate :yes: ..................Does anyone else remember the night Gloria Jones was on , (July 76 - I'v still got the poster advertising it ) & they held it in that huge sports hall next door ? It just didn't seem the same atmosphere even though it was rammed .

and Marc Bolan was strutting round in his wide-brimmed hat and full length baige coat with a big grin on his face because there was over 1,000 youths there and not one was giving him a hard time or even noticing him.

Some of us went back stage gloria signed a pound note for me "Come Go With Me Mick, love Gloria", treasured it right up until I got hungry one day and had to spend it in the wimpy in Stamford!!!!!

Edited by coops
Social source share

Paris Blues - Tony Middleton. Played by Sam

Remember going on a minibus with my mate Kev Schofield from Basingstoke. We were 16 and others on the bus were Dave Greet, Budgie? and others from Southampton area.

They looked after us young uns after a stop off (in London I think) where we purchased the necessary.

Then we used to go to the Centre or Circle? club in Southampton on the Sunday night, then up for school on the Monday morning!

Very happy days

Social source share

Eddie Regan or should I say "John Madara Play the game of love", And Sam playing the wonderful Betty Fikes.

And a gorgeous dark skinned girl from Norwich, I think, all of us from Southampton were in love with.

Great times.

The girl sounds like Anita - she still attends Norwich doos now and then

Mark Cwink.gif

Social source share

Does anybody remember the coach that used to come from Norwich that was full of Super-Models.......They used to walk in the place and me and my mate Bob from Carlisle just stared as they all walked through the door....Life,s great when you're 19 innit!? :yes:

I wouldn't call Billy Whizz, Steve Mobbs and Kev Laws supermodels!!

Mark C:laugh:

Social source share

and Marc Bolan was strutting round in his wide-brimmed hat and full length baige coat with a big grin on his face because there was over 1,000 youths there and not one was giving him a hard time or even noticing him.

Some of us went back stage gloria signed a pound note for me "Come Go With Me Mick, love Gloria", treasured it right up until I got hungry one day and had to spend it in the wimpy in Stamford!!!!!

what did ya get at the wimpy with quid bud . owt good.

Social source share

..................Does anyone else remember the night Gloria Jones was on , (July 76 - I'v still got the poster advertising it ) & they held it in that huge sports hall next door ? It just didn't seem the same atmosphere even though it was rammed .

Social source share

Guest Drewes

Does anybody remember the coach that used to come from Norwich that was full of Super-Models.......They used to walk in the place and me and my mate Bob from Carlisle just stared as they all walked through the door....Life,s great when you're 19 innit!? :yes:

it sure is .... you should read my post on your topic bout ex's :yes:laugh.gif I tell you... I was so embarassed then...... but now I look back and think OMG.... I've seen some of the top cyclists in this country..... IMTIMATELY!!!... but maybe not in the way this reads.... :lol: x

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

As Well as those mentioned ;

Camp - Marching (Sam)

7 The Loser - Eric Lomax (Ginger)

You Want It You Got It -Donald Austin (Ginger)

Closer - Les Femme (Sam)

Interplay- Dereck & Ray ( Ginger )

Along Comes Mary- Baja Marimba (Ginger)

Center City - Fat Larry (Ginger)

Where Is He- Flamma Sherman (Hammie)

Gift Of Love- Ann Marrie (John Vincent)

Pusherman- JC Calier (Ginger)

Without a doubt the best allnighter in the country in 1977 (IMO ) , was head & shoulders above anywhere else (including Wigan ) for new sounds . Remember Rug playing Lester Tipton as a newie there in the summer of 77 :hatsoff2:

I dont think so - it was somewhere to go when Yate wasn't on;)

the Twans always did it for me at Ives.

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

I dont think so - it was somewhere to go when Yate wasn't on;)

the Twans always did it for me at Ives.

and The Professionals ...

and The Four Perfections (Mr Vincent?)

Social source share

I'll always associate the gallop vocal with st.ives 'cos I heard it there before I heard it at wigan.

And wasn't yate post 77? most of my mates went down there 78 thru 79. I couldn't be arsed and lived to regret it, obviously.

other st.ivo records for me were the sublime yvonne vernee 'just like you did me' and the bizarre french fries 'dance a la musique'. time and place...

Social source share

That statement is so true....They had road-blocks everywhere......but we on The Aldershot Coach that smashed that we didn't give 2 f**ks :rolleyes:

I used to go on the Aldershot coach. I lived in Guildford at the time.

Got some tapes from '77 will dig them out. Burning Bush def on the tape!

Steve

Social source share

Guest martyn

I'll always associate the gallop vocal with st.ives 'cos I heard it there before I heard it at wigan.

And wasn't yate post 77? most of my mates went down there 78 thru 79. I couldn't be arsed and lived to regret it, obviously.

other st.ivo records for me were the sublime yvonne vernee 'just like you did me' and the bizarre french fries 'dance a la musique'. time and place...

Yate was certainly at its peak & brilliant in 78/79 , but if I remember right was going in 77 , but not a patch on St Ives in 77 IMO . ..........................Back to St Ives , how about Gwen Owens ? Both 'Wanted & Needed' & 'You Better Watch Out' massive in 76/77 thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest martyn

l always thought that the vocal was a Tailor-Made......not Ginger Taylor.....Cos it was so ghastly! yes.gif

I Belong To You was a top tune :hatsoff2: Wash your ears out :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest martyn

Don't know that but it has sprung to mind....Blanche Carter-Haloes Are For Angels.............Massive but also very very crap! yes.gif:thumbsup:

You would know it right away if you heard it :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert