• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest martyn

I remember some funkier stuff--

Willie Brown - Get out and get it

Norma Jenkins - Can you imagine that

and the godawful Lindberg 11, french thing with aeroplanes in it.!!

Like all of them including Lindberg II

Social source share

I always remember stuff like 'Cat's Eyes'...'Astral Trip (oooo that intro'...you had to be there)....'K-Jee'....in the big room and stuff like 'Sidra's Theme' , Sapphires - 'Gonna' Be A Big Thing' & ' Got To Have Your Love' ...Art Freeman - 'Slippin' Around With You'..... Lee Roye - 'Tears' when it got played to death....loved the place....happy days (nights) indeed thumbsup.gif

Edited by Val (Chunky)
Social source share

Guest martyn

I always remember stuff like 'Cat's Eyes'...'Astral Trip (oooo that intro'...you had to be there)....'K-Jee'....in the big room and stuff like 'Sidra's Theme' , Sapphires - 'Gonna' Be A Big Thing' & ' Got To Have Your Love' ...Art Freeman - 'Slippin' Around With You'..... Lee Roye - 'Tears' when it got played to death....loved the place....happy days (nights) indeed thumbsup.gif

The version of K - Gee Ginger used to play at St Ives was by New Birth , an RCA Album Track rether than The Nitelighters version :yes:

Social source share

Guest martyn

I got a cassette from 1977 St.Ives anniversary it's on that..

So me & you now!

I think the 77 Aniversary was at The Wirrina , St Ives had been closed a couple of weeks previous

Social source share

the closure must have been late in the year 'cos in january 78 we went to norwich samson & delilah lamenting the fact that st.ives was no more. ken cox started the fleet all-nighters shortly after, literally 10 mins walk from my then home. :-)

the fleet had its moments, but it didn't come near to st.ives, either for music or atmosphere. I remember the fleet most for all that british crap then in vogue, peggy march, helen shapiro, barry benson, and other dreadful tunes like charlie gracey and bobby goldsboro, well, dreadful for me that is. :-)

Social source share

might be the wrong time but remember john vincent hammering,the present,manys the slip,pointer sisters,send him back,around this time and a few modern things creeping in like,the first shot,by who???,look lets make a love,sidney thomas etc,am i the only one that can remember sam playing,ej+kd,dont go breaking my heart at st ives around this time ish,???:thumbsup:, :yes:

Social source share

Are you sure about Sam playing that.?....He would have been a bit late cos that was realeased in 76......But well remember The Present getting played more than a couple of times a night in the summer of '77... :thumbsup::no:

he did play it webby but wrong year i suppose it was a long time ago,i hopefully will be going to the st ives re-union thingy this year so i might buy you a beer if you are going,i only live a few miles from st ives and it was so easy getting there in the mid 70s

it was wigan one week st ives the next week then peterborough the next,but mid 70s wigan was the best for me and my mates we did wigan more than our local venues via hirecars,remember an austin allegro a few times,great mems and happy days!!!:yes:, :no:

Social source share

Guest martyn

the closure must have been late in the year 'cos in january 78 we went to norwich samson & delilah lamenting the fact that st.ives was no more. ken cox started the fleet all-nighters shortly after, literally 10 mins walk from my then home. :-)

the fleet had its moments, but it didn't come near to st.ives, either for music or atmosphere. I remember the fleet most for all that british crap then in vogue, peggy march, helen shapiro, barry benson, and other dreadful tunes like charlie gracey and bobby goldsboro, well, dreadful for me that is. :-)

From memory the last St Ives nighter was in October 77 , the one due to be held in early November was called off the day before . Ken Cox then moved the nighters to The Wirrina in the big sports hall - they were crap & numbers droped to what seemed a couple of hundred at one point with a big curtain being used to make the room look fuller . He then moved to The Fleet in June 1978 .

Agree The Fleet never quite reached the heights St Ives had , but was far better than The Wirrina .................I can vividly remember you enjoying yourself to the full anyway :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest martyn

he did play it webby but wrong year i suppose it was a long time ago,i hopefully will be going to the st ives re-union thingy this year so i might buy you a beer if you are going,i only live a few miles from st ives and it was so easy getting there in the mid 70s

it was wigan one week st ives the next week then peterborough the next,but mid 70s wigan was the best for me and my mates we did wigan more than our local venues via hirecars,remember an austin allegro a few times,great mems and happy days!!!:thumbsup:, :yes:

Don't remember Sam playing it , but I do remember quite a lot of the nighter folk having a soft spot for it when it first came out :no:

The biggest new release I remember bing hammered at St Ives in that hot summer of 76 was Walter Murphy - California Strut

Social source share

From memory the last St Ives nighter was in October 77 , the one due to be held in early November was called off the day before . Ken Cox then moved the nighters to The Wirrina in the big sports hall - they were crap & numbers droped to what seemed a couple of hundred at one point with a big curtain being used to make the room look fuller . He then moved to The Fleet in June 1978 .

Agree The Fleet never quite reached the heights St Ives had , but was far better than The Wirrina .................I can vividly remember you enjoying yourself to the full anyway whistling

Spot on. Yes I did enjoy myself, but spent a lot of time in the lounge area rather than in the dancehall, driven there by the aforementioned stuff. I realise they were the big sounds of the day, but they just weren't to my taste.

Social source share

Women from Norwich? I used to get on very well with the lovely Frances. She cooked me steak, chips and peas at her house after the samson & delilah all-nighter, much to the disgust of my still blocked friends. I had puritanical phases back then, you see. We went to People's nitespot before the nighter, if I remember well.

Social source share

Guest martyn

Spot on. Yes I did enjoy myself, but spent a lot of time in the lounge area rather than in the dancehall, driven there by the aforementioned stuff. I realise they were the big sounds of the day, but they just weren't to my taste.

Come to think of it I have limited memories of you anywhere other than the lounge area . Did you actually live there between 78 & 81 ???????????

Social source share

Guest martyn

Apart from the odd corridor mooch and and ten minute wait to pass water, I very much never left the place. Webby: yes, Frances was a redhead. Lovely lass and staunchly anti drugs. Good spinner.

laugh.gif

How do you know she was a good spinner ? Did she come & do a few spins in the lounge for you ? :lol:

Social source share

we didn't get to the lap dancing stage, unfortunately. I was officially spoken for at the time. mind you, that didn't stop me exchanging saliva with lynne escritte from hitchin down by the waterside at the fleet.. oh' to be 18 again...

Edited by macca
Social source share

Guest martyn

we didn't get to the lap dancing stage, unfortunately. I was officially spoken for at the time. mind you, that didn't stop me exchanging saliva with lynne escritte from hitchin down by the waterside at the fleet.. oh' to be 18 again...

What waterside :) ?

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Used to get a double decker bus from Peterborough bus station (now Boro Magistrates), change at Huntingdon where quite a large contingent (Paul Attfield and crew) joined the boro crew on the St Ives bus (also a double decker) for the Sunday Dayers. It was the first big Northern event I went to and holds many fond memories. Happy days!!!

Social source share

Here Macca

I used to go out with a girl from Hitchin for a short while called Lynne but I can't remember her surname - maybe its one & the same girl. The one I was with had a half sister called Julie (their nick-names were El & Ju). She was probably the best looking girl I ever went with in my life & I thought I was in luuuurrrrve! She told me that she was emigrating to Oz at some point and I lost contact with her around 78(ish). Wish I had a photo to reminisce - oh to be 18 again indeed!!!!!

Here are some photos though.

post-9076-073997000 1278364182_thumb.jpg

post-9076-026300600 1278364203_thumb.jpg

Mick

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Thought the allnighters went to the Warina before the Fleet?

Edited by martinsbox
Social source share

Thought the allnighters went to the Warina before the Fleet?

They did, as martyn kindly pointed out. I'd forgotten about those early 78 jobbies with the curtain dividing the hall. grim. we even had a visit from the mayor charles swift at those. ken cox must have been on some kind of PR crusade to convince the authorities what a respectable, law-abiding, clean living lot we were. his sister maud took a real shine to the more atlhletic ones amongst us...

Social source share

:thumbsup: HI YOU BOYS, DIDN'T YOU NO SCRATCHIN HERTS!?? HERES A POSTER THAT MIGHT INTERST YOU1 I remember buying so many records there Judy Street from Ady C orig, Herbert Hunter was a big un as was "Lost Summer Love" so many records!:thumbsup: DAVE KILpost-13241-024962000 1278378973_thumb.jp

post-13241-024962000 1278378973_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest martyn

true dave! how could we have forgotten herbert hunter!? vincent used to hammer lorraine silver. when was that held ? I see gary rushbrooke and keb darge are on the menu.

Dave's poster is from 84 when they started up again

Social source share

Guest martyn

Here Macca

I used to go out with a girl from Hitchin for a short while called Lynne but I can't remember her surname - maybe its one & the same girl. The one I was with had a half sister called Julie (their nick-names were El & Ju). She was probably the best looking girl I ever went with in my life & I thought I was in luuuurrrrve! She told me that she was emigrating to Oz at some point and I lost contact with her around 78(ish). Wish I had a photo to reminisce - oh to be 18 again indeed!!!!!

Here are some photos though.

post-9076-073997000 1278364182_thumb.jpg

post-9076-026300600 1278364203_thumb.jpg

Mick

I remember the girl in the white top in the 2nd set of photo's , what was her name ? Those photo's would have been early 76 looking at the fashion's ?

Social source share

Guest martyn

They did, as martyn kindly pointed out. I'd forgotten about those early 78 jobbies with the curtain dividing the hall. grim. we even had a visit from the mayor charles swift at those. ken cox must have been on some kind of PR crusade to convince the authorities what a respectable, law-abiding, clean living lot we were. his sister maud took a real shine to the more atlhletic ones amongst us...

Can you remember the thread a few years back that John Vincent got involved in about K.C . & his wife ? If I could remember his user name I'd look it up - you'd be amused :thumbup:

Found it

Fill your boots Mackie -page 2 :hatsoff2:

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Christ, that was a good read. I always liked Dirtty Hearts and the Cox's Pippin was also spat at in the cloakroom by Tony Dellar I believe, so John Vincent wasn't the only DJ that wanted to drop him. I didn't witness the Dellar incident, so it's probably just another piece of Northern Soul lore. I was told that TD had arrived late from his milkround (?) and Cox had given him his marching orders. Was the mystery shagger's identity ever revealed?

Social source share

Guest martyn

Christ, that was a good read. I always liked Dirtty Hearts and the Cox's Pippin was also spat at in the cloakroom by Tony Dellar I believe, so John Vincent wasn't the only DJ that wanted to drop him. I didn't witness the Dellar incident, so it's probably just another piece of Northern Soul lore. I was told that TD had arrived late from his milkround (?) and Cox had given him his marching orders. Was the mystery shagger's identity ever revealed?

The mystery shagger's secret is still safe with JV as far as I know .........................:thumbsup:

Dirty Hearts :yes:

She always used to glare at me as if I'd done something terrible , perhaps she could see into the future & had read these conversations on here :hatsoff2:

Milk Round ??? You mean he used to pop off & do a milk round half way through & be back in time for his last spot ???? Quality :yes:

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Guest martyn

Martyn

Cheryl Bush from Norwich - she was in the year below me at School....

Mick

:hatsoff2:

Didn't know her well - just on ' how are you ' terms .

Edited by martyn
Social source share

hey up mick. johnny cockerill has photos of lynne (el) eskritte on his facebook page. she charmed quite a few of us mate!

Macca

Don't remember Johnny going with Lynne and Johnny and I were good mates but you're right she certainly was a charmer.

I'm not a member of FaceBook & don't intend to be (enough time spent on here) but wouldn't mind getting in touch with Johnny as I haven't seen him for a number of years either - the last time I saw him was the early 90's at Yarmouth weekender - check this photo out.

post-9076-015163000 1278524745_thumb.jpg

Mick

Social source share

Macca

Don't remember Johnny going with Lynne and Johnny and I were good mates but you're right she certainly was a charmer.

I'm not a member of FaceBook & don't intend to be (enough time spent on here) but wouldn't mind getting in touch with Johnny as I haven't seen him for a number of years either - the last time I saw him was the early 90's at Yarmouth weekender - check this photo out.

post-9076-015163000 1278524745_thumb.jpg

Mick

No, I didn't mean JC went out with Lynne, but that he'd got photos. JC was prolific with the kodak instamatic, remember? :-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!