St. Ives 1977

• Replies 125
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Great shouts....Zoomsoulblue on here....Keith Wilcox from P'bro(Anyone know him....l remember him well!! :thumbsup: ) has that CC down as his fave of all time :thumbsup:

Is there a St.lves revival this year anybody got any details out there....TA!! :thumbsup:

Webby

Used to know KW well back in the day (thats the trouble with monikers - you can't tell who they are).

I think that CC was an all time fav of many including me (CC for Prime Minister we used to say).:thumbsup:

As for a revival, check this out

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/calendar/1/event-13673

Mick

Social source share

Chubby Checker transports me back to the pitch black oldies room there, as does Major lance 'You Don't Want Me No More'. Were I three or four years older they would transport me to the Torch, no doubt, but you have to live your own time and you only get one crack of the whip. Cod philosopher now...

Social source share

Guest soulfullbabe

We used to travel on a coach to St Ives from Nottm. In them days St Ives was my fav venue and holds very dear memories for me. I met my first love there oh yes to be 17 again. My fave tunes that remind me of The Ivo centre are.......

Tommy Sands.... The statue.

Mary Saenz....Would she do that for you.

Carol and Gerry....How can I ever find away.

Donna King.....Take Me Home

Frankie And Johnny....I,ll Hold You.

I used to love to hear Nev Wherry play there an amazing dj and a great guy very well respected and very sadly missed R.I.P. Ive been to St Ives and still that East Anglia sound is going strong oh and yes the first love is still there too :thumbsup::yes: .

Social source share

Guest red or dead

Do we need tickets?? l'll pay you in though....no probs! :yes:

Tickets not out yet for 30th but deffo on will post flier and mob numbers nearer the time

Social source share

Guest martyn

We used to travel on a coach to St Ives from Nottm. In them days St Ives was my fav venue and holds very dear memories for me. I met my first love there oh yes to be 17 again. My fave tunes that remind me of The Ivo centre are.......

Tommy Sands.... The statue.

Mary Saenz....Would she do that for you.

Carol and Gerry....How can I ever find away.

Donna King.....Take Me Home

Frankie And Johnny....I,ll Hold You.

I used to love to hear Nev Wherry play there an amazing dj and a great guy very well respected and very sadly missed R.I.P. Ive been to St Ives and still that East Anglia sound is going strong oh and yes the first love is still there too :lol::no: .

Remember those sounds from the dayers in 79 too :D

Social source share

couldn't stand frankie & johnny when first played, but I can appreciate it today for what it is.

same goes for carol & gerri, but I remember being at the 100 club in the early 90s and hearing

mark bicknell spin it and came over all emotional. ain't that weird?

Social source share

Guest martyn

couldn't stand frankie & johnny when first played, but I can appreciate it today for what it is.

same goes for carol & gerri, but I remember being at the 100 club in the early 90s and hearing

mark bicknell spin it and came over all emotional. ain't that weird?

TBH , although I remember them both getting the odd spin at St Ives dayers , I always associate them more with Yate ...............Don't recall either of them being played at the nighters at St Ives

Social source share

TBH , although I remember them both getting the odd spin at St Ives dayers , I always associate them more with Yate ...............Don't recall either of them being played at the nighters at St Ives

And definitely at the fleet, amongst all the other garbage. Enough to make you get into Jazz Funk!!

Social source share

Do we need tickets?? l'll pay you in though....no probs! :ohmy:

hatsoff2.gif HI THAT'S COOL, I NEED A DRIVER OR IF I DRIVE MYSELF INEED SOMEONE TO CPME WITH ME, REMEMBER THAT I AM ON LOYS OF MEDS INC 10X5mg DX DAILY AND DONT WANT BLOCK EYE! DO I? :) DAVE KIL:yes:///IT'S TATTY BUT IT'S THE REAL-THING :thumbsup:

post-13241-053140700 1279590676_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest martyn

:rolleyes: HI THAT'S COOL, I NEED A DRIVER OR IF I DRIVE MYSELF INEED SOMEONE TO CPME WITH ME, REMEMBER THAT I AM ON LOYS OF MEDS INC 10X5mg DX DAILY AND DONT WANT BLOCK EYE! DO I? ph34r.gif DAVE KIL:yes:///IT'S TATTY BUT IT'S THE REAL-THING :lol:

I remember there was a Stylistics one as well on a Friday evening .For some reason I went with a bird who wanted to see the Stylistics .The Rivermill disco was crap , The Stylistics set my teeth on edge & I didn't get a shag either .

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I have an old cassette tape of Jr Walker & The All Stars that I taped on a Bush recorder at St Ives (probably haven't even listened to it for 30 years and its probably rubbish - but I did manage to capture them doing I Ain't Going Nowhere - effin tremendous).

Does anyone remember that gig and the year - think it might have been just before Christmas 76(ish)...

It was absolutely rammed not only with UK soul folk but also a bunch of US servicemen and women from the bases in East Anglia.

Mick

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI THAT'S COOL, I NEED A DRIVER OR IF I DRIVE MYSELF INEED SOMEONE TO CPME WITH ME, REMEMBER THAT I AM ON LOYS OF MEDS INC 10X5mg DX DAILY AND DONT WANT BLOCK EYE! DO I? :thumbsup: DAVE KIL:yes:///IT'S TATTY BUT IT'S THE REAL-THING :thumbup:

:thumbsup: HI ALL HERES A 1 MORE TATY ONES FOR YOU ALL:shades: DAVE 2

post-13241-086371900 1279849840_thumb.jp

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest bedfordsoulie

Here's One That was played in the main Hall always Dena barnes -These Heartaches also Milton Wrright I belong to you & samatha Jones Surrounded by a ray of sunshine I remember a mad dash off the stacked chairs to Reflections Like adam & Eve brill Venue We Never Missed One Going to The Reunion in October

Social source share

Guest Johnny61

Went to St ives from early 76. The tunes that stand out for me are, Todays People - S.O.S (all we need is time for love), Sam Ambrose -They'll Be Coming, High Voltage - Country Roads, Gwen Owens- Just Say Your Wanted, Roscoe and Friends-Broadway cissy, Felix Cavaliere-Never Felt Love Before, Living Color-Thank The Lord For Love. Tunes from the leftbank (Mecca Tunes Spun now and again) Luv-Crazy Changes, Weapons of Peace-Just Cant Be This Way, Brass Construction-Ha Cha Cha, Thelma Houston-Dont Leave Me This Way and Willie Brown-Get Out and Get It. Could go on and on and on but I wont. Just to say the place was the best experiance of my teenage years, frightning to think I was only 14. starting at the Phoenix Soul Club 75 up to St ives closure in 77 I have to say the magic disappared for me after that although I carried on until around 82 it was never ever the same.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest Pete Higson

Yes, the one that stands out for me was

Carol & Gerri "On you heartaches look good"

Lent it out with the intention of getting it back the following week at Wigan.......never

saw the man again !..........More fool me.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

maud liked to think she had her pulse on the yoof back then. I wonder if cox tried to choose 'sensible', 'responsible' types to talk to their excellencies. you can imagine the state of some of the candidates...

Just seen this thread ...

I remember it well. I was looking for somewhere to get changed and found myself in a room where the Mayor and his cohorts were meeting pre their inspection.

Being keen to get on the dance floor I asked if it was ok for me to get changed and proceeded to switch into my glad rags in a corner of the room - behind a screen I think.

They asked me about the soul nights and people and I was keen for them to meet everyone - so for some reason I took time out from my usual place as one of the early birds out on the floor to introduce them to some people.

I do remember being asked by one of the mature ladies to introduce her to the fit young guys dancing their socks off!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I was slightly too young to go to the original Niters but was told Mickey Moonshine - Name it, you got it - was banned in the Oldies room for being too funky. Anyone confirm?

Thanks

Mark Cwink.gif

more likely because it was utter shite :hatsoff2: ......still when did that ever stop em lol.......this thread opened with two pop tunes and thereafter is littered with em err is it called northern soul lol :thumbsup:

p.s happy new year mark :lol:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest martyn

The first two might be pop....But they're Northern Soul! :rolleyes:

Dont think anyone gave a flying f*** about whether the soul police classed them as pop or not at the time .The Soul Police were a small minority in those days , dancing , verballing & having a good night came before the whether Billy Arnell or Burning Bush were of the right colour or not .......Most of the records played WERE soul records & most of the ones that were not soul records were good Northern Soul records anyway :lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!