2010-08-29: Brighton Got Soul Allnighter 29 Aug Bank Holiday

Event Title: Brighton Got Soul allnighter @ the Komedia

Event Author: docrobert

Calendar: Allnighter/Weekenders

Event Date: Sun 29 August 2010

-------------------------------------------------

Been an absolute belter the last few years and expecting another magical night this year on August bank holiday Sunday

Big wooden dancefloor, record bar, tip top soundsystem, all night bar at the best venue in Brighton.

DJ's this year Ginger Taylor (Lancs legend), Irish Greg (Crossfire/100 Club/Capitol Soul), Steve Cato (Soul or Nothing), Yann Vatiste (Va Va Voom), Val Palmer (100 Club), Chris Dale (Scenesville) & Si Bridger

450 tickets up for grabs sold out the last 3 years!

28420_427406273833_701533833_5469625_7779270_n.jpg

Visit this Event in Soul Source Events Guide for venue maps, street views,road and rail directions and more

Edited by docrobert
  • Replies 67
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Simon

Who's coming along to this then, don't need to big it up as it's always the business & the tunes get better & better each year, there will be some monster tunes spun as always, this is a proper top notch dj line up imo.

Let's look at the facts:

Ginger Taylor - Big, big tunes & the experience to get the floor buzzing as he always does, the star of the show.

Irish Greg - As you know my life has never quite been the same since the Capitol Soul Club closed it's doors, again Greg has some big, big tunes & proper NS passion.

Steve Cato - Classy man with real individual taste & the knowledge & experience to put together a top notch set.

Yann Vatiste - I recently looked through his sales box at Dave Greenhill's do in London, his sales box was better than most people's A set, nuff said.

Val Palmer - No ponceing around, nothing to prove, Val's been there & done it & never fails to deliver the tunes to the dancefloor.

Chris Dale - Never heard him play a bad set & probably never will, this man just knows how to effortlessly get the dancefloor going & has some big tunes in his arsenal to boot.

Si Bridger - I'll leave that up to other people to answer but if i'm in a bad mood there could be a Harlem Rumble!

Simon thumbsup.gif

My first chance to play at this event.. Thanks to Rob for the offer and Simon for getting bhind it with passion that shines...

Had a nice time there 2 years ago.... really nice venue..

Its our 1st wedding anniversary that weekend and an ideal choice as its my wifes home town..... I will forward the details and look to bring a nice little crowd down..

Got the flyers through the post... will put them out and about..

cheers

Who's coming along to this then, don't need to big it up as it's always the business & the tunes get better & better each year, there will be some monster tunes spun as always, this is a proper top notch dj line up imo.

Simon thumbsup.gif

i agree Simon, last year was brilliant - probably the best niter i did last year - the venue, music and the people - all fantastic :thumbsup:

if we are around we will go agiain :hatsoff2:

• 4 weeks later...

Hope to have some playlists from the dj's to post up here very soon...

Cheers Rob

just back home...

A northen soul main room it is, thats why i wanted to play.... :thumbsup:

60s/ 70s northern/ rare soul for the dancers is what we aim to play...

Looking forward to getting the gang back together at the seaside again....

A few of the great 45's you can expect to hear from Ginger Taylor.

1. this is my rainy day-parliaments

2. if you want to hold on- j t parker

3. love cant be modernised / theres that mountain- trips

4. he'll be loving you- nancy wilcox

5. dont play that role- tommy & the derbys

6. before 2001-rufus wood

7. suprise / foolish girl- c/up

8. youre not loving a begginer-jessie fisher

9. funky funky- brenda brookes

10.do the pearl girl part 2- mattababy

And my Current top 10 too, Hoping to bring some VaVavoom to sunny brighton!!!! Com'on...

THE MOMENTS / Baby I want You / HOG

CURTIS LIGGINS INDICATIONS / What it is? / KAYCEE-SOUL

The DEADBEATS/ No Second Chance / STRATA

GARY SOLE / Holdin On / KNIGHT

THE OXFORD NIGHTS / I'm Such a Lonely One / DELPHI

TAMLADGE ARMSTRONG / Give It Up / SPINDLETON

THE SWEETS / Something About My Baby / SOULTOWN

THE PRECSIONS / I WANNA TELL MY BABY / D TOWN

BETTY WILSON / I'm Yours / DAYCO

RALPH SOUL JACKSON / Set Me Free / BLACK KAT

Yann

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel booked. 3 nights with simsy , vodka lill,callum the dirty red,tomasso, big bad brazil, miss boogaloo, mr and mrs woodpecker,yan the man and many more soul source folk. Look forward to catching up at some point, any others drop message, gonna have a little get together for our 1st wedding anniversary, will catch you all at some point. Hoping for sunshine, need to top up my tan..

Hi Steve, Top up ya tan love it mister!

Had good weather on the bank holiday last few years so should not be a problem.

Got a couple more playlist from Val and Chris to post up next week.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers Rob

Really looking forward to this one, as far as i can see everyone who's anyone (London) is going.

Roll on Brighton and a proper upfront Soul (mod) night.

Greg :lol:

Really looking forward to this one, as far as i can see everyone who's anyone (London) is going.

Greg :thumbup:

Whatcha Greg,

Seen rave reviews about your set at the 100 last Sat sorry i missed it.

Ave some more of that in Brighton please and another convincing true blue victory and it will be happy days!

Speak soon Rob biggrin.gif

Edited by docrobert

It's gonna be great, look forward to seeing you Greg & hearing your top tunes!

Simon thumbsup.gif

Whatcha Greg,

Seen rave reviews about your set at the 100 last Sat sorry i missed it.

Ave some more of that in Brighton please and another convincing true blue victory and it will be happy days!

Speak soon Rob :thumbsup:

Hi Rob

Oh the blue flag will be flying high alright :thumbsup: . Yeah 100club went really well, but i'm saving some new sounds for Brighton. Recently i had a bit of hit with some brilliant unknown Rnb/soul bits, so they'll get spun for the first time at Brighton along with all the old bits.

We are the famous, the famous Chelsea!!

Gregs

Just came back from France, and happy to says there are 20 of them joining the party!!! hatsoff2.gifthumbsup.gif

Cu in two weeks for a packer!!!

Looking forward seeing you Greg "the phoenix".

ph34r.gif Yann.

Great stuff Yann, let's make this the best Brighton do ever!

Simon thumbsup.gif

Just back in the UK... I have had a few messages asking for tickets, don't have any myself, the ticket info is on here aint it...

Fantastic feedback Doc... Got a nice bunch of mates coming along for the weekend...

Just a little plug... I have copies of the new issue of Soul Up North, the rare soul fanzine for sale, i was gonna bring down a few copies, if any of you reading this want a copy then just pm me please, i can bring extra copies, no problem... Click on the link for more details...

Guest Mrs Simsy

Great news Yann just over 50% of tickets sold now already with 10 days to go still!

Got ours sorted today. Really looking forward to helping Mr & Mrs Cato celebrate their paper wedding anniversary!:boxing:

See you all daarn there.:wave:

Another tip top play list from our man from Catford!

Just over a week to go!

Chris Dale playlist BRIGHTON GOT SOUL

Gene Toones - What more do you want - Simco

Volumes - Ain't gonna give you up - Karen

Booby Kline - Say something nice to me - MB

TY Karim - You just don't know - Rymark

Ruby Sherry - Feminine Ingenuity - Take 6

Vivian Carroll - Oh Yeah yeah yeah - Merben

Jimmy Burns - Your'e gonna miss me when I'm gone - Tiptop

Constellations - I don't know about you - Gemini

Cleveland Robinson - Love is a trap - nosninbor

Judy Hughes - Fine, Fine Fine - Vault

Just came back from France, and happy to says there are 20 of them joining the party!!! hatsoff2.gifthumbsup.gif

Cu in two weeks for a packer!!!

Looking forward seeing you Greg "the phoenix".

ph34r.gif Yann.

Rising from the soul flames lol , geez with all these great dj's i'll have to bring two dj boxes of records :thumbsup:

Greg :yes:

Rising from the soul flames lol , geez with all these great dj's i'll have to bring two dj boxes of records :thumbup:

Hi Greg, heard you are on, so it would be rude not to come down and put you off!!! see ya on the beach

And Val and Chris Waahhhhoooo gonna be gooooood!!

Here are a few smashing choons Val will be spinning this Sunday

Val Palmer's Top Ten Toons

Limitations - I'm Lonely, I'm Troubled (Bacone)

The Gambrells - You Better Move (Carla)

Moses Dillard - I'll Pay The Price (Mark V)

Sharon McMann - Got To Find Another Guy (Karen)

Roy Roberts - Got To Have Your Love (Bo-Ro)

Tammy Wayne - Have A Good Time (Boom)

21st Century - Coming Right Back (Dot)

Tommie Young - That's All A Part Of Loving Him (Contempo)

Johnny Robinson - Gone But Not Forgotten (Okeh)

Claude 'Baby' Huey - Drifting (M.I.O.B)

Another tip top play list from our man from Catford!

Just over a week to go!

Chris Dale playlist BRIGHTON GOT SOUL

Gene Toones - What more do you want - Simco

Volumes - Ain't gonna give you up - Karen

Booby Kline - Say something nice to me - MB

TY Karim - You just don't know - Rymark

Ruby Sherry - Feminine Ingenuity - Take 6

Vivian Carroll - Oh Yeah yeah yeah - Merben

Jimmy Burns - Your'e gonna miss me when I'm gone - Tiptop

Constellations - I don't know about you - Gemini

Cleveland Robinson - Love is a trap - nosninbor

Judy Hughes - Fine, Fine Fine - Vault

Nice! :thumbsup:

Anyone got any tips/secrets on where to park?

Nice! :thumbsup:

Anyone got any tips/secrets on where to park?

The beach!!

Parking in Brighton can be a pain but there are loads of little back streets to park in that will make finding your car in the morning a challenge. I think quite allot of parking restrictions will not count on a Sunday, just check the signs. I am taking my skate board just in case we have to park miles away!!!

Here are a few smashing choons Val will be spinning this Sunday

Val Palmer's Top Ten Toons

Limitations - I'm Lonely, I'm Troubled (Bacone)

The Gambrells - You Better Move (Carla)

Moses Dillard - I'll Pay The Price (Mark V)

Sharon McMann - Got To Find Another Guy (Karen)

Roy Roberts - Got To Have Your Love (Bo-Ro)

Tammy Wayne - Have A Good Time (Boom)

21st Century - Coming Right Back (Dot)

Tommie Young - That's All A Part Of Loving Him (Contempo)

Johnny Robinson - Gone But Not Forgotten (Okeh)

Claude 'Baby' Huey - Drifting (M.I.O.B)

Great selection Val..... Yes Brightons got soul indeed.....

Just need to get this fooking man flu out of the way :lol: , i am dying, dying i tell thee....

Had a few more nice surprise emails of mates i aint seen in a long time.... Drop us a pm with your mobile numbers, around all weekend...

If you are going for the whole weekend then pace yourself folks :tumbleweed3:

Guest kid mohair

Hotel booked. 3 nights with simsy , vodka lill,callum the dirty red,tomasso, big bad brazil, miss boogaloo, mr and mrs woodpecker,yan the man and many more soul source folk. Look forward to catching up at some point, any others drop message, gonna have a little get together for our 1st wedding anniversary, will catch you all at some point. Hoping for sunshine, need to top up my tan..

Yep the pair of peckers will be there matey !!! see you on the sea front friday !!!:tumbleweed3::lol:

Guest kid mohair

Second that looking forward to catching up Andy been too long pal.

Will post up DJ times on here later today.

Cheers Rob

Just finished sorting out all the clothes were selling on the saturday lunchtime, if your into proper vintage mod stuff we are selling some nice bits in fact we have a van load, see you in brighton !!!!! Andy.

Hi Stevie, Here we go times for Northern room you got another spot in R&B room as well.

Safe trip see you tonight.

Cheers Rob

Sunday Northern Soul Main room

11-11.30 Chris

11.30-12 Val

12-12.40 Ginger

12.40-1.10 Yann

1.10-1.50 Steve

1.50-2.30 Greg

2.30-3.10 Simon

3.10-3.50 Chris

3.50-4.30 Val

4.30-5.10 Ginger

5.10-6 Yann

Guest Mrs Simsy

The beach!!

Parking in Brighton can be a pain but there are loads of little back streets to park in that will make finding your car in the morning a challenge. I think quite allot of parking restrictions will not count on a Sunday, just check the signs. I am taking my skate board just in case we have to park miles away!!!

:D

I've just looked up the cost of parking!:thumbsup: It dips waaay too much into the vodka money so we'll be finding a little lane to lose the car in!:thumbup:

:D

I've just looked up the cost of parking!:thumbsup: It dips waaay too much into the vodka money so we'll be finding a little lane to lose the car in!:thumbup:

Folks, i'm a local so some parking advice. There aren't any little lanes to lose your car in.

Parking on the street in the Laines is VERY expensive, there are 2 NCP car parks roughly at either end of gardner st. The one on North Road is more expensive than the one just off Trafalgar St. City College Brighton and Hove is just off Trafalgar St and at weekends they open up their car park to the public usually, they don't advertise and charge £3 for all day parking.

It's unlikely that in central Brighton the parking bays will be suspended on a Sunday, DON'T take the chance of parking on the street without a valid parking ticket you WILL get a ticket (and you often can only stay for up to 2 hours anyway). Free parking areas are pretty far out of town, one option is to park at Preston Park area for free and you can get the train in and out (1 stop to Brighton station). Alternatively you can park near Hove station where I live for £4.50 for 24 hours, so if you arrive at say 6pm, you are covered until 6pm the next day. The number 7 bus to 'the Marina' from Hove runs 24 hours and costs £1.80 single, or get a cab from outside Hove station for about £6 into the Laines.

There is no towing policy here so you won't get towed away by parking on the street, you'll get a ticket (£60).

So park out of town or use the college or NCP Trafalgar St car parks (5 mins from venue)

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty

Thanks Paul!!! much appreciated.

See you on sunday.hatsoff2.gif

Folks, i'm a local so some parking advice. There aren't any little lanes to lose your car in.

Parking on the street in the Laines is VERY expensive, there are 2 NCP car parks roughly at either end of gardner st. The one on North Road is more expensive than the one just off Trafalgar St. City College Brighton and Hove is just off Trafalgar St and at weekends they open up their car park to the public usually, they don't advertise and charge £3 for all day parking.

It's unlikely that in central Brighton the parking bays will be suspended on a Sunday, DON'T take the chance of parking on the street without a valid parking ticket you WILL get a ticket (and you often can only stay for up to 2 hours anyway). Free parking areas are pretty far out of town, one option is to park at Preston Park area for free and you can get the train in and out (1 stop to Brighton station). Alternatively you can park near Hove station where I live for £4.50 for 24 hours, so if you arrive at say 6pm, you are covered until 6pm the next day. The number 7 bus to 'the Marina' from Hove runs 24 hours and costs £1.80 single, or get a cab from outside Hove station for about £6 into the Laines.

There is no towing policy here so you won't get towed away by parking on the street, you'll get a ticket (£60).

So park out of town or use the college or NCP Trafalgar St car parks (5 mins from venue)

cheers Sutty

Guest Mrs Simsy

cheers Sutty

Thanks for the tips!:thumbsup:

Guest Mrs Simsy

Just about able enough to do a bit of a lookback.:D

Got to lovely Brighton about 10pm & headed for the pub where we caught up with some friends, all headed to the do together at 11pm which was a bit of a novelty as we never normally get there for the beginning.

Steady stream of people through the door until it was packed to the rafters!:yes: Very hot & sweaty with a lot of bods on the dancefloor.

Thought all of the DJs did a sterling job, great to see them dancing to others spots too.:yes: There were a couple of incidents of people spilling drinks (their whole pint in one case) on the dancefloor but it was cleaned up & no harm done.

I had a thoroughly enjoyable night with plenty of dancing, a few drinks & in the company of some fantastic people. Special shout out to Yann who really made me laugh!:D

I would also like the thank the woman pogoing about the floor in super high heels. I have bruises on both feet today!ph34r.gif:yes:

Aside from that, top night, music was brilliant. Right mix of stuff i knew & stuff i didn't.:no: Thanks to Rob & his team for the do.:lol:

We left a bit early at 4am but it was only because i was flagging & i have my final exam this week and didn't want to be recovering for days!:D

See you all again next year!:yes:

P.S I've uploaded the pictures to my computer but haven't got got it in me to do the SS upload. They'll follow shortly.:D