2010-08-29: Brighton Got Soul Allnighter 29 Aug Bank Holiday

I had heard so many good reports of this event year on year, I just had to go as it's only an hour and half from me. How different could it be from my northern haunts? Very, standing in a busy smoking area with very few familiar faces to pester, predominantly Mod crowd so allot younger crowd, nice club but the floor needed talk, but when talc ed fine. It was hard to get a space on the floor early on but soon thinned out as the tired ones left!

I go to various oldies events and usually know what to expect.... Wheel, Torch, Wigan and a few Mecca disks, bit general but you get it, by no means knocking these does, but there are scores of people of my age and below that view most or all of these venues as before their time. Last night we were taken back to OUR time and OUR favorite venues by Greg, Val, Chris, Yann. Steve and some top 500 bits from Ginger who's second set was brill.

For me topped with the company of Sue "De-mob" Brick, Caroline veggie, Jolie and few more brilliant people out of my past I was a very very happy fool!!! Anyone got any pictures??

• Replies 67
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Still a bit too knackered to do a proper write up but my one observation from the night, apart from the fact it was a superb atmosphere & a highly enjoyable night was that all the djs danced to each others sets, infact you could have probably taken a different seven people from the crowd (there were plenty of djs in the crowd) & still had a top night & you could pretty much guarantee all of us who djayed on the night would still have been there & danced to all the respective sets.

Simon thumbsup.gif

Still a bit too knackered to do a proper write up but my one observation from the night, apart from the fact it was a superb atmosphere & a highly enjoyable night was that all the djs danced to each others sets, infact you could have probably taken a different seven people from the crowd (there were plenty of djs in the crowd) & still had a top night & you could pretty much guarantee all of us who djayed on the night would still have been there & danced to all the respective sets.

Simon thumbsup.gif

Good to see you and Sam mate, did not have much chance to catch up but never mind.... Hope to see you out and about someplace mate....

Brighton got soul indeed...

So good to see Roberto/Tomasso and the Italian crowd, Yan and the French brigade, plus others from Germany and Europe to join us for a great event.. Alan H/ Rob/ Clanger/ Mac/ Helen/ Graeme and the young London bucks were up for it as ever... :D The mix of youth and older crowd was a joy to see...

I really do like this venue with low ceiling, it keeps the sound where it should be, in your face on the dancefloor, made a note to keep drinks away from the dancefloor and it worked a treat, the problem was that the place was packed and not much seating at all, everyone wanting to dance had no place to put drinks, maybe a few tables around the edge of the floor next time would really help.... Very good size wooden dancefloor that was hard on the legs after a full weekend, not sure if it could have a wee buffing and then it would be tip top.. The security and bar staff were fantastic and made the whole event go that much better.... Very nice second room that was full to bursting with a sweating crowd really up for it, nice range of tunes in there to keep all happy i thought.... A full house both Saturday and Sunday, can't ask for much more.... I think this event as got a bright future with the ammount of younger crowd in attendance, pretty stylish young men and women mixed with an older crowd, makes no difference if you are 20 or 50, its all bout the music and coming together....

Nice to meet so many folk, drop us a line with any questions about tunes i played, will look at getting a cd together at some point, long long overdue.....

The weather was fantastic too apart from a little cloud burst, it made for a great weekend, Brighton is just taylor made for this kind of weekend....

I will be back for sure, Brighton weekend is a fixture for me and my good lady from now on....

remember folks, this aint just for christmas, its for life :rolleyes:

Its.... Soul or Nothing....

Yup top night in Brighton! :rolleyes:

Great sets from all the dj's, Greg played a blinder again! Top notch mate. Place was packed, really good atmosphere. Great to see so many friends. Big thanks to Rob & all for the night, we'll be back.. :lol:

Thanks mate, i have to say a BIG thank you to the dancers /punters and Dj's and especially to Rob Bailey for making a brilliant night. I have dj'd at nearly ever top venue in the country over many years and have to say this was one of the most enjoyable nights out i've had for many years. Fantastic also to see old friends from times gone by, everyone chatting and dancing and just having a great time. My jaws were f*cking killing yesterday from all the laughter in the pub before hand and in the venue.

The ska/beat room also was a blast, all in all a terrific night and still buzzing in work :D

Greg

What an AWESOME allnighter, probably the best I've ever been, fantastic tunes played by all, Steve Cato first set was great, particularly appreciated Chris Dale's second too (Hytones "You don't even know my name" and Volumes "Ain't gonna.." had me almost dead on the dancefloor!), oh and massive thanks to Ginger for playing me "Surprise"..

As already said great mixed crowd and dancefloor packed all the time.

Very recommended!

What an AWESOME allnighter, probably the best I've ever been, fantastic tunes played by all, Steve Cato first set was great, particularly appreciated Chris Dale's second too (Hytones "You don't even know my name" and Volumes "Ain't gonna.." had me almost dead on the dancefloor!), oh and massive thanks to Ginger for playing me "Surprise"..

As already said great mixed crowd and dancefloor packed all the time.

Very recommended!

Was good to catch up mate.. really good.... Thanks for bringing that tune.......... :lol: ,an all time want thats made my weekend....

Many many photos on facebook from various people, any chance of a few on here folks... I did take a camera but never took a photo, too busy with everything else.....

Was good to catch up mate.. really good.... Thanks for bringing that tune.......... :hatsoff2: ,an all time want thats made my weekend....

Many many photos on facebook from various people, any chance of a few on here folks... I did take a camera but never took a photo, too busy with everything else.....

I can't remember a time when I have gone to an allniter with more than one room and just been completely unable to leave the main room just in case I missed yet another inspired choice from a brilliant bunch of DJ's. Loved the way it all seemed to flow with noone seeming to do a whole hour. Just so casual and brilliant!!!!

Some drunken divvies on the dancefloor with bags and drinks the only downside.

I can't remember a time when I have gone to an allniter with more than one room and just been completely unable to leave the main room just in case I missed yet another inspired choice from a brilliant bunch of DJ's. Loved the way it all seemed to flow with noone seeming to do a whole hour. Just so casual and brilliant!!!!

Some drunken divvies on the dancefloor with bags and drinks the only downside.

Good to hear you liked the music, a good mix of djs and smaller slots of 40 mins worked well.....

The divvies thing i covered, i always tell whoever it is...

Like i said before, all standing and no tables, they did not have a place to put drinks.... Something for promoters to think about for next year..

The feedback from other sites does match this...

The last time i was there 2 years ago the northern room was ok but maybe finding its feet as a concept between the other mod/60s/ RnB events..

Now it is found itself and can go on to be a great addition to the whole weekend..

The promoters done well.... Very well...

Just wanna say a big thanks to all the Dj's and dancers for a magic night last Sunday and one that will be hard to repeat but I will have a go.

Would also like to add my thanks to everyone who posted feedback here and on the new untouchables website/facebook etc about the allnighter/weekender and also the tips for improving the event further still. Brighton sure Got Soul and we will be back in early 2011 for another installment watch this space...

In the meantime those who wanna keep on dancing the Big Ady C and I (you know they are even writing songs about him now) have got the small matter of Crossfire coming up soon on Sat 9 October with 3 rooms of underground sounds for the true music lovers...

DJ Line-up in the main ballroom for the northern oldies allnighter includes Ginger Taylor, Ady Croasdell, Neil Rushton, Jerry Hipkiss, Sue & Amanda + Jon Buck.

Thanks Rob

Edited by docrobert

Had a brilliant night! Non stop dancing, didn't get round to venturing upstairs, but a great crowd and brilliant tracks! Went way too quickly.

Glad you had a good time.... Drop us a line, always good to meet new folk to the forum.....

Ginger and that JT PARKER..... :thumbsup: ... In this venue with low ceiling and cracking soundsystem... It was a sound that comes from the gods...

Ginger and that JT PARKER..... :thumbsup: ... In this venue with low ceiling and cracking soundsystem... It was a sound that comes from the gods...

Ginger played some great stuff, 'Love slave' was the record of the night for me.

The guy's such a pro also, a man who's nailed his trade down to a fine art, great on the mic & effortlessly brilliant records.

Simon

Guest OohLaLarouci

Ginger played some great stuff, 'Love slave' was the record of the night for me.

The guy's such a pro also, a man who's nailed his trade down to a fine art, great on the mic & effortlessly brilliant records.

Simon

Ditto!

Source Advert