Betty Lavette, Meltdown, London

Guest noss

Just got back from seeing Betty Lavette as part of Richard THompson's Meltdown festival on London's South Bank. Wow! This concert exceeded expectations. The concert was in the Purcell Rooms, which sensitively planned to create an intimate atmosphere to hear her. She looked absolutetly fantastic. In her high heels and jumpsuit, seldom have I seen sixties soul artists in such rude health. As far her voice, it is magnificent.

Her new album consists of cover versions and oddly enough and to my surprise, the scores allowed plenty of scope to hear Betty perform deep soul interpretations. Like most, I am not a fan of cover versions generally, but I could not fault these. Highlights include: Rain On Me (the Who), Isn't It A Pity (George Harrison) and of course as the finale, "Let Me Down Easy'. To grand applause she encored with an accapella version of 'I Do Not Want What I haven't Got' She performs again tomnorrow night. If it is not sold old, I would urge any London based soul fans to put your records away for an evening and go out to support a legend who is till at the top of her game.

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just got back from seeing Betty Lavette as part of Richard THompson's Meltdown festival on London's South Bank. Wow! This concert exceeded expectations. The concert was in the Purcell Rooms, which sensitively planned to create an intimate atmosphere to hear her. She looked absolutetly fantastic. In her high heels and jumpsuit, seldom have I seen sixties soul artists in such rude health. As far her voice, it is magnificent.

Her new album consists of cover versions and oddly enough and to my surprise, the scores allowed plenty of scope to hear Betty perform deep soul interpretations. Like most, I am not a fan of cover versions generally, but I could not fault these. Highlights include: Rain On Me (the Who), Isn't It A Pity (George Harrison) and of course as the finale, "Let Me Down Easy'. To grand applause she encored with an accapella version of 'I Do Not Want What I haven't Got' She performs again tomnorrow night. If it is not sold old, I would urge any London based soul fans to put your records away for an evening and go out to support a legend who is till at the top of her game.

I have to say i'm not really "up" on who's appearing live anywhere but where was this advertised ? We had this a year or so ago, an artiste was appearing live in London & yet hardly anyone knew about it.

Bettye Lavette has connections over here & yet I didn't see anything on Soul Source advertising these gigs ?

Social source share

Agree with Noss.

I wrote a bit earlier about it here: https://monkey-picks....n-festival.html if anyone is interested.

Monk

Saw her last friday in Dublin and had a chat with her. She was singing well and the band she brought over with her from States were good, tho no brass section. Its all Blues these days and as mentioned strangely Beatle/Who covers, least she's finally getting some reward.

BTW she hates "happiness will cost you one thin dime"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!