Anyone Know Any Other Records Like This..?

Guest son of stan

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Can anyone recommend any modern soul / reggae type records?

Like this. Passed me by at the time but I am a sucker for this sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1rp_CvWAYc

"The moon shines bright over yonder and it makes me feel so fine.."

I've got a set of something like 20+ discs of 70's and early 80's reggae, there must be a good 6 or 7000 tracks, if I can find them you can have them and see what you can find, I can't bear to listen to this sort of reggae, it's like elevator music when you're used to ska/rocksteady/early reggae. There's a few trojan compilations featuring this sort of reggae also. Off the top of my head, this is the best one I can think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Cp9AsOfcg&feature=related

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I've got a set of something like 20+ discs of 70's and early 80's reggae, there must be a good 6 or 7000 tracks, if I can find them you can have them and see what you can find,

Really?!? If so wow, thanks!

I'm a big fan of rocksteady, Studio 1, etc too. I guess liking 60s / 70s material is a bit the same as with soul?

Some great recommendations on here. Keep them coming. Thanks!

Social source share

I'm a big fan of rocksteady, Studio 1, etc too. I guess liking 60s / 70s material is a bit the same as with soul?

Yeah absolutely - well it is as far as I'm concerned. The stuff that followed the first wave of reggae in 1970, all babylon and rasta and watered down music, can't stand it.

The discs I mentioned, I think they are actually DVD discs containing mp3's - I know the one set ("Rickyroots") I must have 20+ volumes of that and then there was another series, can't remember what that was called, but there's about the same amount. I remember trying to go through these and I would say 95% never made it past the first drum roll intro :P

I promise I'll go and look for these this afternoon, you can borrow them and send them back if you ever finish going through them. For anyone who likes 70's reggae, they must be the dogs bollocks, for me, they were just bollocks...

Social source share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1rp_CvWAYc

try the b-side :P

There's hundreds if not thousands of soulful reggae tracks with this sound, so where to start?

there's some Junior English tracks on my blog, he made tons of what you're looking for on 12" and LP

https://constantlyevolvingsound.blogspot.com/

cheers Sutty

Social source share

Right well I've found some of the Rickyroots compilations:

volumes 5 to 12, 14 to 44.

Don't know what happened to volumes 1 to 4 and volume 13.

There are between 600 and 900 tracks on each disc.

Also found Rasdragon volumes 6 to 11 but each track is in a separate folder and it's a pain to open them in the end.

You sure you want to get into this :P

if so PM me an address and I'll send you some.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=W1rp_CvWAYc

Hi there , at the moment We are stocking around 500 modern reggae 45's our current best sellers are modern soul type sounds 1, Irre blessing's by "incroud" I think s.sam's playing this, 2, What'ch trying to do to me by Eddie Lovette ,3,artist unknown (Blank) jazz funk type thing, 4, You're mine by Norris Man ,5, Devotion by Lenn Hammond, 6, Lonely by Sanchez ,7, Beside me by Nature ,8,Life isn't easy by Azmari, 9, some people by Luciano ,10,Troubled time by Jack Radics.

The best selling "modern type" C.D is Beres Hammond's "just a moment" that includes Do this world a favour and about 8 other soul dance trck's best selling album is Beres Hammond's "soul Reggae" that includes the great "Don't wait too long".

As recomendations for soulful reggae track's our current best sellers are I dig you by Alton Ellis (cover of Kiki Dee's soul number),2,Road of life by Mikey general,3, The greatest love of all by Brain gold ,4, Have I sin by Mary ann,5, i am alone by Sanchez,6, Farther help me today by George Nooks,7, Come to me by Diane adams,8, So Sick by Lee Francis ,9,Immortality by Mohammed Brown,9, what if by Mackie Concious,10, She believes in me by Cologne.

I alway's have a box of "soulful reggae " with me at nighters ect and if anyone want's to listen to any just ask I'm at six Hills next week all the best Simon hunt.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

billy cole - cause i love you -

plus his extra carefull on uk power exchange

Extra careful also on Jamaican power exchange, wide awake in a dream by Byron Lee also step aside by the soulettes on studio one Simon.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!