Joe Bataan "subway Joe"

Joe Bataan "Subway Joe"

Just been listening to Joe Bataan "Subway Joe" and You're driving me right out of my mind, I know that the Latin fans get down n dirty to his most excellent "Subway Joe" but there is so much more to Joe Bataan, are there any fans out there and do any of his other tunes get played?

Make me smile, reminds me of Manifesto case of tyme

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Joe Bataan "Subway Joe"

Just been listening to Joe Bataan "Subway Joe" and You're driving me right out of my mind, I know that the Latin fans get down n dirty to his most excellent "Subway Joe" but there is so much more to Joe Bataan, are there any fans out there and do any of his other tunes get played?

Shame no-one has replied to this yet. Joe's back catalogue is awesome and happens to be the possessor of one of my favourite voices.

Check out the Subway Joe LP cos it's got Magic Rose and Special Girl. Personally my all time Bataan track is Gypsy Woman. The flip is killer too!

Ordinary Guy, Too Much Lovin' and his superb version of Under The Streetlamp cement him as probably the best latin artist out of New York.

And if you get the opportunity to see him do go, cos his voice still has the same passion as those early Fania recordings. An incredible performer to boot....

Social source share

Joe Bataan "Subway Joe"

Too many great records by Joe -

Young Gifted and Brown, Special Girl, Under the Street Lamp, Uptown, Gypsy Woman, Magic Rose, Good Feeling, My Cloud, What good is a castle pt 2 , So fine...............................etc etc

Fantastic Singer !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Shame no-one has replied to this yet. Joe's back catalogue is awesome and happens to be the possessor of one of my favourite voices.

Check out the Subway Joe LP cos it's got Magic Rose and Special Girl. Personally my all time Bataan track is Gypsy Woman. The flip is killer too!

Ordinary Guy, Too Much Lovin' and his superb version of Under The Streetlamp cement him as probably the best latin artist out of New York.

And if you get the opportunity to see him do go, cos his voice still has the same passion as those early Fania recordings. An incredible performer to boot....

Joe Bataan - Gipsy woman

Kinell that's awesome!

I didn't know he did it? I thought it was a bobby Womack track, its brilliant!!!

Social source share

I always ask djs to play latin at venues/niters. In fact I am one big mitherer for it:lol:

Usually I get The Majestics or Bobby Valentin

Very occasionally Ray Baretto-Mercy Mercy Baby.

At Cleethorpes I think I asked about 4 or 5 djs for a latin track and none of them had any.

I've NEVER heard Joe bataan at a Northern Soul venue. I have got Bidds on my "must get to one day list". It just never seems to fall on a day that I can make it!

Social source share

I always ask djs to play latin at venues/niters. In fact I am one big mitherer for it:lol:

At Cleethorpes I think I asked about 4 or 5 djs for a latin track and none of them had any.

I've NEVER heard Joe bataan at a Northern Soul venue. I have got Bidds on my "must get to one day list". It just never seems to fall on a day that I can make it!

Reg, we are only on 4 times a year.......you need to get your diary sorted out in advance...our next date is October 16th.

Johnny Beggs plays plenty of obscure latin......including a more uptempo, dancefloor friendly cut of this latin version of 'It's better to cry'

Edited by Mace
Social source share

As mentioned, lots of quality tunes by Joe Bataan that should get more spins at nighters....though plenty of 'em do at Bidds :hatsoff2:

'Magic Rose', 'What good is a castle Pt2', 'Too much lovin', 'Good feeling', 'Special Girl', 'Subway Joe' have all graced the swingin' decks in our dark and seedy venue...and always will :no:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSEH-xGS3K0

well if this is the quality, i shall be popping my Bidds cherry on oct 16th (my birthday too), joe bataan is essential listening and dancing music:thumbsup:

Social source share

Joe Bataan "Subway Joe"

I have played his version of the Bottle (la Botella) a couple of times at soul nites over the last year or so, without any great reaction I have to say. I'll stick it in the box and play it on the Soul Galore 102.4 radio show on Sunday 7-10pm, and see if it draws any comments from the listeners. However, I'm you with you on this one, he's an excellent artiste.

KTF. :hatsoff2:

Edited by K.I.D.
Social source share

Mace is spot on in saying that a few of us swing our snake like hips to some crazy hot Latin spins at Bids.

I for one lurvvvvvv the Lationo Soul that is well danceable!

Big recommend for Bids wear ya best dancing trousers!

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Really like some of his more recent work. This is from his 2005 album "Call My Name"

Edited by Ollie Lailey
Social source share

We always try to throw some latin on at our night and it ALWAYS goes down a storm.

I think we might have even put 'What good is a castle' on our opening night CD (cant remember) but i know Rich spins it. Him and Eddie love Joe Bataan so always hear some hitting the decks amongst other latin rareties thrown into a mix of across the board soul.

Azza

P.S.......REG..........you should've asked Ady for some latin, im sure he'd have thrown Frankie Neives on.

Social source share

Oh Reg, I love latin too. it was def the best bit about being a mod back in the 80's!

I think you need to go out more as everywhere I've been recently (except Cleggy, granted!) (and I only get out half a dozen times a year) someone has played some latin - and not just Use It blah blah.

Actually that long haired lothario - is it a bloke or an ugly bird - Johnny B made me a fab latin CD a few years ago - i think I shall pop it on and practise my latin hip swivelling, shoulder shimmying, dress waving dancing!

Social source share

Really like some of his more recent work. This is from his 2005 album "Call My Name"

Ollie!!!

You is the fookin dude today mate!

That has just blown my cotton socks off!!!!

I love it and this is a perfect example of hearing new stuff versus that stupid attitude of shunning the new, I personally think that all of these old stuff born again soul boys should be burnt at the stake or publicly flogged to have the audacity of missing out on such an amazing tune as this one!

I can not begin to explain how this makes me feel to hear a new sound to my ear as amazing as this is!!!!!!!

LOVE IT!!!!!

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

No problem, glad i could be of assistance! you might also like the title track from the album, think it's on the youtube.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!