What Is Popcorn/northern Soul

been browsing e bay for a few years now and often see records advertised as popcorn/northern soul. gotta be honest ive never listened to any soundclips from the records been sold on e bay untill i listened to this clip https://cgi.ebay.com/POPCORN-NORTHERN-SOUL-WAREHOUSE-RAREST-UNKNOWN-IX-/150457512515?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2307f77243 to be fair it didnt impress me at all , sounds something like russ binstanley would have played at wc . but i really dont know about the popcorn thing can anyone clue me up or has anyone got any good soundclips as to what this music is aboutthumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I'm glad some one has asked this because the term "Pop Corn" has popped (do you see what I have done there?) up on my radar some time ago, I haven't got a clue what it is?

God help us if we are to get another room at the nighters now, the Popcorn room?

Social source share

Popcorn records have crossed over to the northern soul scene Kurt Harris-Emperor Of My Baby Heart,,Doug Banks-I Just Kept On Dancing,Freddie Houston-Soft Walkin......IMHO they should have stayed on the popcorn scene.This may help and make it a bit clearer.

The Belgian "popcorn" style began in 1968 in Oostende. There is a nightclub that was called 'The Groove". The first notes of music came from this nightclub wich was called at that time "Soul Music". I was seventeen. I never heard such beautiful music. Now I'm 41 and I'm still crazy about that type of music, "The Oldies Popcorn" as we call this music in Belgium. At the time in the nightclub Groove the classics were : Billy Larkin - 'Hole In The Wall' and Leon Haywood - 'Soul Cargo'. Ska music was also played : Roland Alphonso - 'Doctor Ring Ding', 'Sake A Lady' and 'Song ofMy Father'. Even some instrumental music such as Ramsey Lewis - 'Wade in The Water', 'China Gate', Alvin Cash - 'Twine Time

In the seventies about ten nightclubs began to play popcorn records! They were the best DJs in Belgium at the time, and some of them still play today. For the nightclub The Groove, the best DJ was Gilbert Govaert and Pepe Lucien. At Popcorn the great DJ was Jeff Callebaut and Pepe Lucien. In the Versailles Georges Toniotti was the top DJ. Two guys, Eddy and Kurt, were tops at Viertap. The Viertap is always open. My brother Paul and I give people lots of enjoyment in many Belgian nightclubs. Sometimes we organize one or two evenings per year. Still today, after 25 year, the popcorn style is still around and the best records that can be heard are James Conwell on 4J; Jeff Lane - "Carmelita", Bruce Cloud - "Let Me Come Back Home", Kurt Harris - "Emperor Of My Babys Heart" - Douglas Banks - "Ain't that Just Like AWoman", alse many by Major Lance

Despite the release of oldies popcorn on compact disc, (about 30 so far) more than 1.000 collectors still look for original "Belgium Popcorn" classic singles. If you visit Belgium don't forget to go to a nightclub where you can hear Belgian Popcorn. People who really like 50s and 60s music can't miss this opportunity, because the popcorn music is something that you can hear and dance to in a nightclub and the atmosphere is super

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Great explanation!

So it's basically a nickname given to music just like "Northernsoul" was a name for music being played in particular clubs in particular area.

It's not a genre of music.

It's a bit like Schlager music in Germany.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great explanation!

So it's basically a nickname given to music just like "Northernsoul" was a name for music being played in particular clubs in particular area.

It's not a genre of music.

It's a bit like Schlager music in Germany.

Think of late fifties/very early sixties records with a croony slow/midtempo beat some in a cha cha style and lots of violins ....Sam Fletcher-I'd Think It Over...Dean Barlow-Third window..Lenny Welch-Tower Of Strength..most of Ben E King's early output.Dont think they play stuff after 65 unless it's in the same style.. The Major Lance ones are his early ones Matador, Monkey Time etc.....you aint gonna hear Aint No Soul!!!! On a Schlager note Madeline Bell was big on that scene....her big schlager tune was Beat The Clock....can anyone explain the German schlager scene!!!!!

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

so whats "titty shaker music" any crossed over to here ?

Youd be suprised at what Northern gets played on the Jamaican "Island" scene

i recomened on a sunday night www.reggaeworld.music if your interested in Soul

I think Ady at Kent records will be on the case soon..

Great big titty shakers volume 1.... :thumbsup:

Just a thought.....

I got to hear the Belgium guys for the first time a few weeks ago and had a fantastic time... djs of true true quality... IMO of course...

Social source share

so whats "titty shaker music" any crossed over to here ?

Youd be suprised at what Northern gets played on the Jamaican "Island" scene

i recomened on a sunday night www.reggaeworld.music if your interested in Soul

Tittyshakers are mostly instrumental and feature a lot of sleazy sax music .Think the music of Andre Williams and early Russ Meyer films.Music for women to strip by. I always think of a London club called The Frat Shack when I hear this stuff.Got some Wavy Gravy lps somewhere with tittyshaker music on.What is new breed r and b, schlager,beach music,teutonic music,.I'm mostly digging batucada,descargas,joropo and moog instrumentals at the moment.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

been browsing e bay for a few years now and often see records advertised as popcorn/northern soul. gotta be honest ive never listened to any soundclips from the records been sold on e bay untill i listened to this clip https://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2307f77243 to be fair it didnt impress me at all , sounds something like russ binstanley would have played at wc . but i really dont know about the popcorn thing can anyone clue me up or has anyone got any good soundclips as to what this music is aboutthumbsup.gif

Been some good threads on this subject down the years Jon, worth having a little search.

Was as a result of one of these threads I had my best ever record haul, involving the original producer and ten, no make that eleven mint unplayed copies! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!