My Dear Heart - Diana Ross

KevH

• Replies 40
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

What's the story chaps on "My dear heart" - Diana Ross that was around a few years back.Hazy memory on this one (whats new!).

Well they originally said it was Diana Ross but then it was known as Barbara Mercer I think - unless there were actually two versions, I know I had the Barbara Mercer one on a dub and played it a few times

Social source share

Well they originally said it was Diana Ross but then it was known as Barbara Mercer I think - unless there were actually two versions, I know I had the Barbara Mercer one on a dub and played it a few times

I forget about this version, last time I heard it was in the 90s at Bretby.

Whoever was DJing at the time said it was by Diana Ross, can't remember how good or bad it was.

Dave.

Social source share

I forget about this version, last time I heard it was in the 90s at Bretby.

Whoever was DJing at the time said it was by Diana Ross, can't remember how good or bad it was.

Dave.

Barbara Mercer was the one i had on mp3 and to my memory it was quite good ...maybe even better version than shawn robinson:g:

heres a link to an external soundfile...half way down the page

Edited by chalky
external link to file sharing download site removed
Social source share

Barbara Mercer was the one i had on mp3 and to my memory it was quite good ...maybe even better version than shawn robinson:g:

I seem to remember it was maybe the same backing track?

Just played it Nev - top man so you are!!!!.Still like it..!!!

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Nev, cheers for that.

Not a bad version, but Shawn Robinson was one of my top fav's back in the day.

It is more than likely like Pete says the one played out back in the early 90s.

Dave.

Social source share

Not sure about a full blow version with backing track but I definitely heard an acapela version by Ms Ross so why not.

The acapela version was on the Motown tapes that Gilly got a hold of back in the mid 80's.

Not one of my fave songs even by Shawn Robinson but the backing track is stonking.

Mick

Social source share

Nev, cheers for that.

Not a bad version, but Shawn Robinson was one of my top fav's back in the day.

It is more than likely like Pete says the one played out back in the early 90s.

Dave.

Yeah mine too, great record. The Barbara mercer one comes from the Groovesville/Solid Hitbound tapes and is a different backing track.

Social source share

Yeah mine too, great record. The Barbara mercer one comes from the Groovesville/Solid Hitbound tapes and is a different backing track.

So that version (soulguy) is the "Diana Ross" one from the 90's.?

Your mission,should you choose to take it,is to post up the Barbara Mercer version Pete:D .

Social source share

maybe a bit hazy here

but i always thought the great lad that is Gilly

gave it (loaned)to dean anderson and kitch,studio acetate

was heard loads at Bretby and thought that was the only copy covered as barbara mercer

SURE the above people will put us straight

LUV Sean Robinson to bits

but this just weezzzz all over it for me

Social source share

maybe a bit hazy here

was heard loads at Bretby and thought that was the only copy covered as barbara mercer

Yep, pretty much right Keith, but covered as DR but was actually BM.

Russ

Social source share

maybe a bit hazy here

Twas covered as Diana Ross and played out by Dean and Kitch and only recently revealed as Babs Mercer

Social source share

Was going to say had the proper artist for summat like 10 years.

Seem to remember the Gilly connection now.Played it at a nighter early 90's,Rob Marriot on same line up.Sports hall somewhere possibly Stoke way?.Seperate sales room.Can recall Butch had the Groovers on Minit for sale,but not the bloody venue.:thumbsup:

Social source share

Time to set the record straight,this particular female version was firstly picked up by myself whilst in Detroit in 1992 I got it from the guy who was the engineer.One track was a single vocal take,next track was because the vocal is weak they mixed two vocals together in an attempt to give the song body.Track three was the backing track(the same as used for the released version S Robinson)The recording was done at Golden World in i think 1965 and the engineer said it was D Ross.This i found hard to understand at the time she was of course contracted to Motown and had already had a couple of hits,but i wasnt going to argue with him.On the odd occasion i DJed i would play it.Some time later i allowed a well known person from Notts (KWS) a tape copy in full,next i know Dean and Kitch are using it in their sets on the understanding it was a KWS discovery.The things people do?Much later i spotted it on a Todmorden CD when they done a deal with Don Davises brother along with a load of other stuff.The name B Mercer makes more sense as the vocalist.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Time to set the record straight,this particular female version was firstly picked up by myself whilst in Detroit in 1992 I got it from the guy who was the engineer.One track was a single vocal take,next track was because the vocal is weak they mixed two vocals together in an attempt to give the song body.Track three was the backing track(the same as used for the released version S Robinson)The recording was done at Golden World in i think 1965 and the engineer said it was D Ross.This i found hard to understand at the time she was of course contracted to Motown and had already had a couple of hits,but i wasnt going to argue with him.On the odd occasion i DJed i would play it.Some time later i allowed a well known person from Notts (KWS) a tape copy in full,next i know Dean and Kitch are using it in their sets on the understanding it was a KWS discovery.The things people do?Much later i spotted it on a Todmorden CD when they done a deal with Don Davises brother along with a load of other stuff.The name B Mercer makes more sense as the vocalist.

Gilly

Must have been mashed then thinking I heard an acapela version. Did DR do anything acapela that you had 'cos I swear I heard it on one of your tapes round yours?

Mick

Social source share

Gilly

Must have been mashed then thinking I heard an acapela version. Did DR do anything acapela that you had 'cos I swear I heard it on one of your tapes round yours?

Mick

Did have What Should I Do, Little Ann,acapela,Mick maybe thats what your thinking of and an inst of Saving My Love,Marva Whitney,and numerous other odd ball things.

Social source share

Gilly, I realise I'm not in much of a position to argue with you but that "Barbara Mercer" backing track is not the same as the Shawn Robinson one, play the two next to each other, completely different.

Social source share

And who wouldn't listen to ME when I found the TIN !!! the bloody pair of you (tats and Gilly) laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

As it said on the tape tin --Diana Ross-there are two Vocal versions and an (unfinished?) Instrumental that we transferred on to DAT TAPE- the Acetates were cut from that to play out!

The engineer also told us he "Double tracked" Diana's voice to make it sound stronger ohmy.gif playing the 2nd track a fraction of a second behind the other.

As this was an engineers file/ control / reference copy I doubt if the recording even exists in the Motown Vaults

Rob

Social source share

And who wouldn't listen to ME when I found the TIN !!! the bloody pair of you (tats and Gilly) laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

As it said on the tape tin --Diana Ross-there are two Vocal versions and an (unfinished?) Instrumental that we transferred on to DAT TAPE- the Acetates were cut from that to play out!

The engineer also told us he "Double tracked" Diana's voice to make it sound stronger ohmy.gif playing the 2nd track a fraction of a second behind the other.

As this was an engineers file/ control / reference copy I doubt if the recording even exists in the Motown Vaults

Rob

So it did what it said on the tin.:D Where's the tin now?.

Social source share

Its a hideous version, sounds like she has a cardboard box on her head ...flat as a fart and the backing track is shite compared to SRs version!

No way can anyone on this forum believe its a better version than SRs :yes::sleep3: which is one of the best female northern tracks out there!

shawn robinson - my dear heart -

:thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Its a hideous version, sounds like she has a cardboard box on her head ...flat as a fart and the backing track is shite compared to SRs version!

No way can anyone on this forum believe its a better version than SRs :yes:no.gif which is one of the best female northern tracks out there!

shawn robinson - my dear heart -

hatsoff2.gif

I dont think too many people would say its better than S R version but its another alternative that i believe was worthy of a play,You could liken the alt version of the Coasters Crazy Baby song,or even the recent Just Like The Weather that Butch has played,Each to their own i guess.

Social source share

Sorry to burst ya bubble Gilly..Alaways knew it came via you and I have never had it or ever played it, and slightly dissapointed in the comment if I'm honest. Considered you a good friend as well..

Edited by hootenannie
Social source share

Sorry to burst ya bubble Gilly..Alaways knew it came via you and I have never had it or ever played it, and slightly dissapointed in the comment if I'm honest. Considered you a good friend as well..

To be honest i'd never heard you or Dean play it,Twas the word going about back in the day and as you see on this forum its still the word,personaly i dont give two hoots about the record anymore,but your friendship is important to me so anything ive posted in error i apologize for unreservedly.I hope this doesnt affect what has been a long standing friendship with both yourself and Julia.

Social source share

To be honest i'd never heard you or Dean play it,Twas the word going about back in the day and as you see on this forum its still the word,personaly i dont give two hoots about the record anymore,but your friendship is important to me so anything ive posted in error i apologize for unreservedly.I hope this doesnt affect what has been a long standing friendship with both yourself and Julia.

"Some time later i allowed a well known person from Notts (KWS) a tape copy in full,next i know Dean and Kitch are using it in their sets on the understanding it was a KWS discovery.The things people do?"

Judging by the wording in your post you clearly do/did? To be honest having my name bandied around like that is not something I appreciate. What I have to say to you will be to your face.

Social source share

Really??? Who by? Any good? Never even heard of this.

Andy Dyson has had the acetate some time now, pre dates the coasters by about a year I think. Single artist, forget exactly who, somebody, Sherman or Herman off top of me head. Tis good, get to Lifeline on Saturday, you mkight hear it. Think Ady Pountian has one too.

The Mill Edwards Butch has is simply superb IMO, better than the other versions IMHO.

Social source share

I dont think too many people would say its better than S R version but its another alternative that i believe was worthy of a play,You could liken the alt version of the Coasters Crazy Baby song,or even the recent Just Like The Weather that Butch has played,Each to their own i guess.

I agree with that, I have a fetish for alt versions, always have had....ive a few myself and had lots that ive sold on in the past......good bad or indifferent its always good to play/hear them.

hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

"Some time later i allowed a well known person from Notts (KWS) a tape copy in full,next i know Dean and Kitch are using it in their sets on the understanding it was a KWS discovery.The things people do?"

Judging by the wording in your post you clearly do/did? To be honest having my name bandied around like that is not something I appreciate. What I have to say to you will be to your face.

With reference to the above, Gilly you are a true friend and more besides..Issue sorted and laid to bed..Thanks mate.hatsoff2.gif

Social source share