• Replies 4
  • Views 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest MBarrett

Ray includes a passage about this track in her book - Berry, Me, and Motown - as follows:

For Motown we were making music too. Ed had written a song called "Don't Bring Back The Memories," inspired by our relationship. "Don't bring back the memories of a love that couldn't last." I'd helped somewhat with the lyrics and the structure, but it was mainly Ed's creation. A song from the heart and soul, we envisioned it on the Four Tops, hearing it as one of those flag-waving, four-beats-to-the-bar tunes a la "I Can't Help Myself." Harvey, who was about to go into the studio with the Tops, heard it and went nuts. So when the cut was done, Harvey brought it up and played the track. "Well," I said.

"Well," said Ed. Instead of that straight four sound, Harvey had syncopated the song in the old doo-wop fashion - with a Moonglows feel that was Harvey's style. Gulp. When it was released, Ed insisted it be credited to my name, his feeling was that if Berry heard it as his, the song would be sabotaged. What, Berry sabotage the efforts of those trying to help the company? Need I comment?

MB

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

So this could be the only Singleton credited Motown release then.

Yes - could be - but would prefer to leave that to others much more knowledgeable than me.

I enjoyed reading her book. She was a talented lady. She had studied musical theory at college and produced chord charts/written musical arrangements for the studio musicians in the early days of Motown.

MB

Social source share

Yes - could be - but would prefer to leave that to others much more knowledgeable than me.

I enjoyed reading her book. She was a talented lady. She had studied musical theory at college and produced chord charts/written musical arrangements for the studio musicians in the early days of Motown.

MB

Got the book myself, but couldn't remember the passage you quoted. We'll have to see if anybody else can come up with one.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!