• Replies 31
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Don't we all :thumbsup: Mark

Now was I hearing things but is there two cuts of this sound? or did I just dream the guitar twangy bit sort of vanished on the DJ copy ? ....maybe because I was dancing to it and overcome with ecstacy that it just didn't matter .

I was only dicussing this with a friend last week who said she loved the sound but the twang disturbed her ... not me I love it to bits with twang or without twang.

Be good to know though... i will report later when I have an MP3 of the one I heard saturday and do a compare....:hatsoff2:

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Don't we all :yes: Mark

Now was I hearing things but is there two cuts of this sound? or did I just dream the guitar twangy bit sort of vanished on the DJ copy ? ....maybe because I was dancing to it and overcome with ecstacy that it just didn't matter .

I was only dicussing this with a friend last week who said she loved the sound but the twang disturbed her ... not me I love it to bits with twang or without twang.

Be good to know though... i will report later when I have an MP3 of the one I heard saturday and do a compare....:thumbsup:

think the issue and demo are the same version , must ave been the sound system maybe , great tune which i would dearly like to have also!

Social source share

Don't we all :sleep3: Mark

Be good to know though... i will report later when I have an MP3 of the one I heard saturday and do a compare....:thumbsup:

I did an edit of it once and cut the guitar out and cut it to CD-R but only as a mess about! I think it got sent to a few friends but i can't imagine it was this version..............unless the DJ had the orig on the deck with the CD playing over the top of it :yes::sleep3::sleep3:

Magic track which i believe started life at Parkers in the late 80's? Any takers for spins before that?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Don't we all :yes: Mark

Don't worry Carms, still keeping it safe for you, for when I do sell it, that may be sooner rather than later !!

Best Steve

Social source share

Hi carms all have the guitar which i think makes it, had been playing this at the greatstone for about 5 years before selling it this year, an old dean johnson spin from parkers. it is pretty hard to find as it is collected for the other side also which is funk.

mark

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Brenda made this record as a tribute to teh child she gave up for adoption and went on to regret it??

If this is the case i think Jean Lee who sang unwed mother on cedric might possibly contest it:yes:

I'm on my 2nd copy in a yr ...selling the 1st one was "A big mistake"ohmy.gif

Social source share

I did an edit of it once and cut the guitar out and cut it to CD-R but only as a mess about! I think it got sent to a few friends but i can't imagine it was this version..............unless the DJ had the orig on the deck with the CD playing over the top of it :yes:laugh.gif:D

Magic track which i believe started life at Parkers in the late 80's? Any takers for spins before that?

Cheers

Steve

eeem I will have to investigate further:huh: I saw the record Steve and it looked Kosher.... maybe its me ... huh.gif

Social source share

It's a bit of a tear jerker isn't it?

"Flowers growing big and tall, grapes is clinging to the wall

this once belonged to me, the lush green grass and the willow trees

but that was long ago, long ago

long ago, yeah yeah yeah

that was long ago, long ago

long ago, yeah yeah yeah

little boy come out and play, I want to see you

you'll be six on your next birthday

you look like your daddy now, funny

but I always thought you would look like me somehow

seems i made a bad mistake on my wedding day

I couldn't stand the strife of married life

so I had you baby, and then I went away

if I knew then what I know now, baby

I could have seen it through for you somehow, yes I've could

you're everything in life that is really good,

and I would like to hold you baby if I only could

(she made a big mistake)

your new mama is calling you, lunchtime is mere and playtime is through

now I watched you walk through that door, then I ain't never coming back no more

no I lost you long ago, long ago, long ago, yes I lost you

long ago, long ago, long ago yeah yeah yeah yeah

(she made a big mistake)

baby I lost you, baby I lost you, ooh lost you so long ago,

yes I did, one day when you are big I hope you'll understand

mama really misses you, mama misses kissing you but I lost you

yeah I lost you, ooh so long ago, I've lost you so so so long ago, long ago

yes I did I said I lost you, there can be no looking back now"

Social source share

bit of info for ya

This is Brenda Melson, who also recorded as Brenda Lee Jones, and best-remembered as the female half of "Dean and Jean". They were from my hometown of Dayton, Ohio. Best known for their hits "Tra La La La Suzy", "Hey Jean, Hey Dean", "I Wanna Be Loved", "Seven Day Wonder", and "Thread Your Needle", they also played backup for their friend Tommy Tucker on "High Heeled Sneakers". Brenda told me she wrote "Big Mistake" for her adopted son.

Social source share

bit of info for ya

This is Brenda Melson, who also recorded as Brenda Lee Jones, and best-remembered as the female half of "Dean and Jean". They were from my hometown of Dayton, Ohio. Best known for their hits "Tra La La La Suzy", "Hey Jean, Hey Dean", "I Wanna Be Loved", "Seven Day Wonder", and "Thread Your Needle", they also played backup for their friend Tommy Tucker on "High Heeled Sneakers". Brenda told me she wrote "Big Mistake" for her adopted son.

Yeah thats what i read Rupert but listen to Jean Lee on cedric and it sounds a lot earlier than Brenda Jones??

check down the page on midwest and click on the label or the song title underneath

https://www.midwest45s.org/IllinoisSoulPage.html

Social source share

I know this really isnt helping Mark get a copy

But BELOW is the ACTUAL copy you heard playing Carms which was mine and i think you were having a moment darling cuz as far as i can hear those " twangy bits " are in there!!

Nige X

Oh yes I see the twangys are there .

I think I must have been having a moment last saturday ... Interesting though that Steve can cut the twangs lol . ....

slap....how could I doubt your twangy bits ..... really carmen laugh.gif

I suppose the twangs I am used to hearing could be a lot louder because i am playing the sound in ITUNES and its most prob a soudfile cut off a CD ... big file like ..so when you played it off the actual record it wasn't noticible....

Joey x

Edited by Carms
Social source share

whadya think

I think it's about time you stopped letting your son do everything for you and try and do it yourself! :lol:

But seriously Mark, I first heard it back in the late 90's (can't recall it at Parkers though) but that guitar just puts me right off I'm afraid.

I'll have a listen to the 'edited' version - it's got to be a vast improvement for me at least! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think it's about time you stopped letting your son do everything for you and try and do it yourself! :lol:

But seriously Mark, I first heard it back in the late 90's (can't recall it at Parkers though) but that guitar just puts me right off I'm afraid.

I'll have a listen to the 'edited' version - it's got to be a vast improvement for me at least! :thumbsup:

John you know I have only just mastered the record player so I have to have him 'look after' me where all things technical are concernedrolleyes.gif

M.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

It's a bit of a tear jerker isn't it?

"Flowers growing big and tall, grapes is clinging to the wall

this once belonged to me, the lush green grass and the willow trees

but that was long ago, long ago

long ago, yeah yeah yeah

that was long ago, long ago

long ago, yeah yeah yeah

little boy come out and play, I want to see you

you'll be six on your next birthday

you look like your daddy now, funny

but I always thought you would look like me somehow

seems i made a bad mistake on my wedding day

I couldn't stand the strife of married life

so I had you baby, and then I went away

if I knew then what I know now, baby

I could have seen it through for you somehow, yes I've could

you're everything in life that is really good,

and I would like to hold you baby if I only could

(she made a big mistake)

your new mama is calling you, lunchtime is mere and playtime is through

now I watched you walk through that door, then I ain't never coming back no more

no I lost you long ago, long ago, long ago, yes I lost you

long ago, long ago, long ago yeah yeah yeah yeah

(she made a big mistake)

baby I lost you, baby I lost you, ooh lost you so long ago,

yes I did, one day when you are big I hope you'll understand

mama really misses you, mama misses kissing you but I lost you

yeah I lost you, ooh so long ago, I've lost you so so so long ago, long ago

yes I did I said I lost you, there can be no looking back now"

LOOKS LIKE KARL M also has an edited version, cause there ain't No GRAPES clinging to the wall in my copy...........defo IVY.....! ph34r.gifBully! yes.gif

Social source share

bit of info for ya

I had a copy of "My heart need's a break" by Brenda Lee Jones a few year's ago, can't remember the name of the label though but it was couloured half pink and half yellow. It was great version as well.

Social source share

alternate cut without the guitars, edited by my son

Brenda Jones alt cut.MP3

whadya think

Yep very clever son you have there! Funky guitars never bothered me before but always going to notice now!

First heard this on the Dave Evison show on Signal Radio...got it on tape somewhere...forgotten who the guest was who came on every week to play a modern soul selection...can someone remind me?

Managed to get one for £90 off evilbay about 5 years ago fortunately..always have to turn the master volume up if I ever play it whilst DJ'ing....always plays a bit quiet!

Great emotive track!

post-397-098429800 1277490538_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I have come to the conclusion that I really have to have ownership of this record very quickly because it is starting to affect my sanity. The kind thing to do would be for some kind soul to treat me as a charitable cause... because Brenda is driving me crazy.

The last time I felt like this was when i was trying to sniff out the Grey Imprint.

Some alternative lyrics

I was playing in this big Hall

If I could play her to them all

This crowd could belong to me

If only she were here with me

Oh but but could I sink so low , sink so low, sink so low ......... to change the record flow?

Yeah yeah yeah

Seems I made a big mistake, on our current play

Couln't stand the twangs of those guitars

So I pleased you baby

And I dubbed them away

If I knew then what I know now baby

We would have had the "PERFECT" plaaaaay !

Edited by Carms
Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Jim Maddox

I was a personal friend of Brenda Melson's for the last 13 years of her life. There seems to be some misunderstandings about some of the info I have posted about Brenda on "Youtube". She did not have a child out of wedlock nor give him up for adoption. Brenda was married from 1956 on until her husband died, which was about 1997. She couldn't conceive, so she and her husband adopted an infant boy in 1968. Brenda was not the Brenda Jones who recorded for SSI. Brenda never recorded for them. Nor was she the Jean Lee who recorded for Cedric. Brenda took a leave of absence from the music business from 1968-1971 to raise her son. She started a touring band called Jean Lee and the 71' Now. The next year, she renamed it the 72' Now. She realised the futility of that, so she renamed it Coconut Love. Nor did Brenda neglect her son. When she toured, she would bring Chuck with her during summer vacations and school breaks. Chuck aways felt unwanted, and Brenda said it was the rejection he felt over the adoption. She wanted to sympathise with him, so she wrote "Big Mistake" in 1974 for him. Fuzzy guitars were the sound of the day, so I feel the guitars were part of the original mix. Brenda wrote the lyrics through the viewpoint of Chuck's biological mother. The person who is speaking in the song is not Brenda. This is a very touching song, but alas, it didn't meet its intention. Her son had a troubled growing-up.

Social source share

I was a personal friend of Brenda Melson's for the last 13 years of her life. There seems to be some misunderstandings about some of the info I have posted about Brenda on "Youtube". She did not have a child out of wedlock nor give him up for adoption. Brenda was married from 1956 on until her husband died, which was about 1997. She couldn't conceive, so she and her husband adopted an infant boy in 1968. Brenda was not the Brenda Jones who recorded for SSI. Brenda never recorded for them. Nor was she the Jean Lee who recorded for Cedric. Brenda took a leave of absence from the music business from 1968-1971 to raise her son. She started a touring band called Jean Lee and the 71' Now. The next year, she renamed it the 72' Now. She realised the futility of that, so she renamed it Coconut Love. Nor did Brenda neglect her son. When she toured, she would bring Chuck with her during summer vacations and school breaks. Chuck aways felt unwanted, and Brenda said it was the rejection he felt over the adoption. She wanted to sympathise with him, so she wrote "Big Mistake" in 1974 for him. Fuzzy guitars were the sound of the day, so I feel the guitars were part of the original mix. Brenda wrote the lyrics through the viewpoint of Chuck's biological mother. The person who is speaking in the song is not Brenda. This is a very touching song, but alas, it didn't meet its intention. Her son had a troubled growing-up.

Top post Jim :thumbsup:

Social source share

Source Advert