The Three Biggest Tunes At Yate

Steep stairs,mate,turn left lounge area,(bogs were on the right) and then the dance-floor.........DJ on the left! thumbsup.gif

Yes, that's the original way in, but later on the common practice was to use the fire escape as the main entrance, so as you came in you had the dance floor front and right, stage at the end which was used in later years rather than the old dj box, turn sharp right and you had the lounge area, bar on the far wall..walk a few paces towards that, turn right and the loos (and lift) were in front of you through the rest of the lounge area. Think that's right...

Social source share

• Replies 86
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest martyn

Yes, that's the original way in, but later on the common practice was to use the fire escape as the main entrance, so as you came in you had the dance floor front and right, stage at the end which was used in later years rather than the old dj box, turn sharp right and you had the lounge area, bar on the far wall..walk a few paces towards that, turn right and the loos (and lift) were in front of you through the rest of the lounge area. Think that's right...

That explans why I've so many confused memories of the place , ( well that & the gear I supose) , it sort of falls into place now you've reminded me things got changed round .......

Social source share

Guest martyn

Pinched this from Nik Mak, so probably taken in 1981, shows the stage with me dj'ing as far as I can tell, looks like my old NS t-shirt anyway:yes: ...can't work out who the others on stage are!

Nice photo thumbsup.gif When did it shut mate ? I remember going throughout the late 70s but dont really remember when it shut - did it close & then re- open at one point (79 or 80 ) ???

Social source share

Nice photo thumbsup.gif When did it shut mate ? I remember going throughout the late 70s but dont really remember when it shut - did it close & then re- open at one point (79 or 80 ) ???

Yup, a rather big bust in 1980, attendances dropped like a stone after that for some reason...then it sort of died until Nik reactivated it some months later, I must admit to thinking at the time that it wouldn't work but it did - over 1000 in on at least one night, must have finished late '82???

Social source share

Guest martyn

Yup, a rather big bust in 1980, attendances dropped like a stone after that for some reason...then it sort of died until Nik reactivated it some months later, I must admit to thinking at the time that it wouldn't work but it did - over 1000 in on at least one night, must have finished late '82???

Got it - thats why I started going to Wigan again regularly in 1980 . Don't think I went back after it re-opened , had sort of got out of the habit & into a Wigan , Fleet , Clifton Hall cycle .......Got to add I was one of the stalwarts who in 79 went to Yate instead of the Wigan aniversary the same night , despite the clash it was still a good night even though obviously numbers were down .

Social source share

Not ben to Yate itself in years. Vince Ayers should know, He's an old Yate dweller.

The venue was there last time I went. Ironically the shop closest to it was called Superdrug.

I only ever went into the other room once. There was a card game going on with some very serious guys. There was enough money on the table to have made a serious dent in the number of records for sale.

Definately a small room upstairs, no funk when I was there:thumbsup: Thought it was just another oldies room tho could have been motown as I heard One way out for the first time:blush: :thumbsup:

Social source share

Definately a small room upstairs, no funk when I was there:thumbsup: Thought it was just another oldies room tho could have been motown as I heard One way out for the first time:blush: :thumbsup:

Several formats were tried over the years funk, Motown, and oldies - even deep soul at the very first one I believe - at different but not consecutive times, deffo remember Danny Everard doing some spots up there, Shay from So'ton among others...

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Thts right before my time but originally held above the baths, then moved to the shopping precinct in the Stars and Stripes.

Almost, Mikey...it was started at the bigger venue by Kojak (Inter City Soul Club), later he downsized to the baths, then when Dinks took over promotion in 1977 he moved it back to the Stars and Stripes...good move, as that's when it really took off!

Social source share

I never tire of recalling memories of what was imo one of the best alnighter venues ever.................the BJ Thomas track was of course 'I Don't Have A Mind Of My Own' .....The Miracle Workers I still have in my box, cheap as chips but priceless to me, I used to have a 12" of Mirslav Vitos - New York City, Dave Thorley used to spin a track by George 'someone', can't remember the track title either, mid tempo with bongos....all I can recall is that it used to get me a bit emotional....I have a tape somewhere that I recorded one night, I'll look for it & list the plays.

KTF

Baz

not reading all of the thread are we Mr Symes? :thumbsup: please refer to post #2 :thumbsup:biggrin.gif

do you remember Mike Kempton doing his funk spot at Stars & Stripes?

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

If I could find a release to make my trousers incresase something something something ... :unsure:

That must be that badly recorded carver Ian used to play at the Rocket.

Social source share

Seem to remember these two being big yate spins:

BOBBY HANNA - EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE (UK DECCA)

MARION RYAN - BETTER USE YOUR HEAD (UK PHILIPS)

TOP SOUND FOR ME WOULD HAVE TO BE LARRY DAVIS, I'VE BEEN HURT SO MANY TIMES. GREAT TUNE, STILL SOUNDS GOOD TODAY. Tony. OZ.

Social source share

This is what Mikey wrote...

I collected together a whole load of tracks people on here associated with Yate about this time last year. If I get a chance to hunt out the file at Lunchtime I will stick them on here. We may even get a few more to add to the list.

list compiled thanks to: Hippo, Pete french, Martinsbox, Dave Greenfield, Steve C, Russ Vickers, Dayo, Johnny and Ali One Trout, Shute, Enchantedrhythm Ady C and Paul R

Ady C had his arm twisted on here to maybe get a Kent compilation tribute to Yate...so any more arm twisting might have the desired rewards.

Found it ;-)

hope this works:

Larry Allen Cant we talk it Over Green Dolphin

Rufus Lumley Stronger than me RCA

Marva Hicks Looking over my shoulder Infinity

Elbie Parker Please keep away from me Veep

Bobby Kline Say something nice to me M.B.

Willie & the Mighty Magnificents Souling All Platinum

Carol & Gerry How can I ever find a way

The Miracle Workers Overture

Rex Garvin You don't need no help

Vala Reagan Fireman

Mamie Lee I can feel him slipping away M.G.M

Antiques Go for yourself Lasalle

Soul Partners Just Fun Amazing

Wakefield Sun Trypt on love

Nightwatch Lips to your heart

Memphis Horns I cant turn you loose

Precisions Such Misery

Classic Sullivans Paint yourself in a corner

Larry Houston Lets spend some time HFMP

Joe Tex Under your powerful love

Edwin Starr Contact

Jay Traynor Up and over

The Lonely Crowd Shadows & reflections

Bell Boys I don't want to loose you now

Village Sound These windows

Rain Out of my mind

Paula Parfitt Love is wonderful

Beverley Ann He's coming home RCA

Kiki Dee Magic carpet ride Fontana

Peggy March If you loved me

Soul Communicators Fee Bee

Ohio Players L S T M F ???

Bernie Williams Ever Again

Gambrells Jive Talk

George Kirby What can I do

Anthony and the Sophomores Heartbreak

Appreciations I cant hide it

B J Thomas ??

Cajun Heart Got to find a way

Ty Karim You really made it good to me Romark

Del Counts With another guy

Kris Peterson Just as much Top Dog

Royal 5 Say it to my face

Bobby Paris I walked away Capitol

Paul Anka When we get there R.C.A.

John Drevars The closer she gets M.G.M.

Margie & the formations Sad illusion Co-ed

Pinkooshings Make it easy Mercury

Buckinghams Don't you care Columbia

Tamala Lewis You wont say nothing Marton

Diane Newby What you're putting me through Kapp

Ad Libs New york in the dark A.J.P.

Lou Roberts Ten to one M.G.M.

Frankie and Johnny I'll hold you

Robbie Royal Only you Mercury

Deena johnson Sad girl

Connie Questal Give up girl

Leon Thomas L O V E

Joann Courcey I got the power

Pattie Labelle Lovin Rules

Sterling Magee Keep on

Gambrells Jive Talk

Shamettes Don't waste your time (Love this)

Sweethearts Beauty is just skin deep

Theo Coff Lucky Day

Tojo Broken hearted lover

Gia Mateo I you cant say anything nice RCA

Four Tracks Like my love for you

Miroslav Virteos Nyk city

Hokis Pokis Swing

Miracles Overture

Harold Melvin Love I lost

Ringleaders Baby what has happened M-Pac

Star Treks Gonna need magic

Delites Lover

Sherry & the Inverts I'm lost

Sam Williams Love slipped through my fingers

Betty Turner Be careful girl

Memphians South Memphis Dave T Cover up??

American Youth Choir Keep your fine self near me

Otis Clay Showplace

Anita Humes & the Essex Everybody's got you

Lou Lawton Wrapped in a dream

Mighty Marvellows I'm so confused

Martha Starr No part time love for me

Martha & the Vandellas Come & get these memories

Gene Chandler She's such a pretty thing

Supremes There's no stopping now

Kelly Brothers Love time

Etta James/Sugar Pie DeSanto Do I make myself clear

Rita & the Tiaras Gone woth the wind Dore

Frank Dell He broke your game wide open

Wilbur Walton Jr 24 hours of lonliness

Precisions Such Misery

Capitols Cant deny that I love you

Herb Ward Strange Change

Virgil Murray I still care?

Otis Smith C'mon and dance now COVER UP???

Syng McGowan That's what I want

Outsiders Gotta leave us alone

Beverley Wright Where the good times are

Inspirations Your wish is my command

Rex Garvin You don't need no help

Crampton Sisters Baby, baby

Melvin Davis Find a quiet place

Orsa Lia Chain of life

Chris Bartley You get next to my heart

Robbie Royal Only you

....and

George Benson - The world is a ghetto (Massive)

Social source share

Guest martyn

A Sly & The Familly Stone record used to get plays too ............... Can't remember whether it was Everyday People or Familly Affair ????????

Social source share

Guest audiavant

Yes,mate,but they were bollocks.....One In Ten and Everything You Wanted To Know About Love......Completely Shocking! :hatsoff2::thumbsup:

You might mean "Ten to One" for that first track mate.

Social source share

Guest martyn

None of these, it was 'M'lady', simular rift to 'Dance to the music'

Cheers Dave , I knew it was one of theirs I used to dance to thumbsup.gif

Social source share

capitols was first played here by the mighty IAN CLARKE.........however l went round to steve cooper from bedford the next day and yep he had a nice mint issue that he,d got from myles grayson TWO years earlier which he sold to me for 26 english pounds...peggy b

First off its CAPITALS, & was being played around North Wales (both sides) circa 1975. Miles Grayson produced & arranged both sides and Issues are s**t rare.

Yours etc, Pedantic Peter. :thumbsup:

Social source share

First off its CAPITALS, & was being played around North Wales (both sides) circa 1975. Miles Grayson produced & arranged both sides and Issues are s**t rare.

Yours etc, Pedantic Peter. :thumbsup:

Oh come on Ritchie, lets not get into who played what first, and I don't think he was saying that Ian was the first person in the world to play this. Around that time lots of records were being played in different parts of the counrty at the same time. But unlike today, without the internet, networking sites etc etc, there was far less awareness of this.

Social source share

Sorry Mikey, I let that one slip, will have another look. Has anyone got photos, I can't remember much about it apart from being in a state.

I have photographic evidence of your attendance at Yate Ady, will post up after holiday!!

Al

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

So am i......have you got any of the Aldershot coach.....Has anybody?.....Great days.......Give them me back!! :D

We wouldn''t want a photo of you - you looked like that welsh geezer.

Just remembered Miss D D Philips was fookin huge - cheers Clarkie x x

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Okay....smarty pants.....lol......I was reading not listening :yes: seem to remember Mike doing a spot there but that would have been when McAvoy was running the gig

KTF

Baz

not reading all of the thread are we Mr Symes? :D please refer to post #2 :D:D

do you remember Mike Kempton doing his funk spot at Stars & Stripes?

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

I remember Larry......top guy for many reasons :D

KTF

Baz

Do you mean Larry Salter....Best looking lad l ever seen at any alnighter.....Anywhere! :yes::D

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

Do you mean Larry Salter....Best looking lad l ever seen at any alnighter.....Anywhere! :D:D

Yeah - he was just known by his surname. Skinniest guy I ever saw, he must have weighed about 7 or 8 stone. No idea why:no:

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

l do cos i was that weight for the same reason :D

My friends and his friends used to take photos of us together....Seriously.....The amount of time we had people mixing us up is unbelievable...had one lad kicking me arse as l tried to dance.....when l opened mouth he was mortified and coudn't apologise enough.. :yes::D

Didn't he hear your woolyback accent?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!