Soul Source Record Buyers - Tightest In The World

Pete S

I posted a list up for Mick Smith yesterday, and after a few hours I rang him and said well how did it go? He said yeah, he'd done pretty well, mainly off his postal list, I said did you get many orders off Soul Source? He said he had four or five - he knew they'd come from Soul Source because they were the only ones who tried to get him to knock money off or do free postage :thumbsup:

What is it with people on here? I've never known it anywhere else. Knock me money off if I buy two records, do me free postage, will you take X amount if I pay straight away.

I've listed records at half price and had people try to get them cheaper or get free postage.

Only happens on here.

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Maybe people get too comfortable?

"He's a fellow soul-sourcer, he'll cut a quid or two off the price".

Thing is, I've had people buying off me for 20 years and they never embarass themselves by asking for money off - they know in 99% of cases I sell cheaper than anyone else anyway.

Social source share

I posted a list up for Mick Smith yesterday, and after a few hours I rang him and said well how did it go? He said yeah, he'd done pretty well, mainly off his postal list, I said did you get many orders off Soul Source? He said he had four or five - he knew they'd come from Soul Source because they were the only ones who tried to get him to knock money off or do free postage :thumbsup:

What is it with people on here? I've never known it anywhere else. Knock me money off if I buy two records, do me free postage, will you take X amount if I pay straight away.

I've listed records at half price and had people try to get them cheaper or get free postage.

Only happens on here.

:yes:I think it's just the world we live in right now Pete... there has always been those people who are bare faced and would'nt hesitate to haggle face to face ,but as you know it's easier to be that bit braver in a pm or email than over the phone

p.s there it's happened again..i clicked the emoticon after i wrote this and it's landed at the start ...bloody annoying me now:angry2:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

:yes:I think it's just the world we live in right now Pete... there has always been those people who are bare faced and would'nt hesitate to haggle face to face ,but as you know it's easier to be that bit braver in a pm or email than over the phone

p.s there it's happened again..i clicked the emoticon after i wrote this and it's landed at the start ...bloody annoying me now:angry2:

Yeah, I think you're right. Just the way some folks are. Not records but overheard these two conversations at the boot last year.

Woman picks up paperback book.

How much are your books?

"20p"

"Will you take 10p?"

"No"

"How about 15p?"

"No"

Puts book back and walks off

FFS!

---------------------------------

Seller has box of manky paperback books.

How much are your books?

"25p each"

There's about 100 books here, how much if I take the whole box full?

"£25"

FFS!

Just read what I wrote, I do talk some shite :thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Only happens on here.

in my experience haggling is expected in the record world, it's something you learn the first record show you go to (in the US at least) and it translates to online world also (especially when people's prices are high).

Social source share

in my experience haggling is expected in the record world, it's something you learn the first record show you go to (in the US at least) and it translates to online world also (especially when people's prices are high).

Totally agree Bob......fact is ,if its dog rare and it only comes up for sale once in a blue moon, people will pay top price,however if it's not ,people will make an offer based on what they are willing to pay.

If you say "no" then they will wait for one to come along at the price that suits :thumbsup:

Although i do think some on here think, when it suits, we are all one big happy family and being a member entitles a discounted sale:lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Why shouldn't people haggle over the price? If the seller doesn't like it they can always say no... can't they?

In these days of 20% VAT, wage freezes and cuts in child tax allowance i'm suprised there's any money left for vinyl at all :thumbsup:

Social source share

NEVER HAD ANY PROBS RE PRICES I JUST SIMPLY SAY NO IF not happy -one thing for sure theirs always a good bit of activity on here for buying and selling and bargains to be had if you look hard enough-theres some items massively inflated and others worth picking up at reasonable prices imo,all goes with the turf ie record collecting and haggling well again why not ? The price quide has ofcourse thrown the selling side of things wide open and alot of the time sellers do quote the book thinking this or that is a bargain but just like when you are out and about the green always talks in the end!!

BAZ A.

Social source share

as a small record dealer i try to give good value,it all comes down to what you paid for

something in the first place--what you can knock off

often if a record is 35-00 .people will say

i.ll give you 30-00

even if they have never bought before

if someone is buying 3 mid priced 45s

its easier to knock a bit off each,as i might have more than one copy

than when someone wants a in-demand 100 tune and wants it for 80

ive tried all sorts to sell stuff.free sales cd.buy 4 pay for 3

buy believe me,its hard work

if you take c.cards theres the rental + % to pay on each transaction

then they say-----free postage :thumbsup:

Social source share

as a small record dealer i try to give good value,it all comes down to what you paid for

something in the first place--what you can knock off

often if a record is 35-00 .people will say

i.ll give you 30-00

even if they have never bought before

if someone is buying 3 mid priced 45s

its easier to knock a bit off each,as i might have more than one copy

than when someone wants a in-demand 100 tune and wants it for 80

ive tried all sorts to sell stuff.free sales cd.buy 4 pay for 3

buy believe me,its hard work

if you take c.cards theres the rental + % to pay on each transaction

then they say-----free postage :lol:

that sounds like me your talking about keith :thumbsup:

moldie

Social source share

some good points from Keith-i sell for fun to fund trips to the usa so can say "your taking the piss if i feel like it"lost counts how many times :ohmy:I have but also done some great deals on here -the climate is hard but also we are in total vinyl overload so with that should bring tremendous value ???? [in theory anyhow] :thumbsup:

BAZ A

Social source share

Why shouldn't people haggle over the price? If the seller doesn't like it they can always say no... can't they?

I'm just wondering where on my SET SALE lists it says YOU CAN MAKE OFFERS?

Do you honestly think these people ring up John Manship and say, hey I want that record off your site but it's too expensive so I'll give you half what you're asking?

Of course they don't, they do it on here because they know they can take the piss.

Does John manship do free postage? No he doesn't. Why the f*ck should I? Costs me the same as it does him.

Like I say - it only happens on here.

Social source share

Do you honestly think these people ring up John Manship and say, hey I want that record off your site but it's too expensive so I'll give you half what you're asking?

Of course they don't, they do it on here because they know they can take the piss.

Does John manship do free postage? No he doesn't. Why the f*ck should I? Costs me the same as it does him.

Maybe, but to be honest Pete I now try it on every where I go as a rule, here, evilbay, record dealers at do's. not that I go out much these days but some of the prices at Cleethorpes this year were simply silly, 5 and 10 quid tunes for 30-40 and more, and in allot of cases you can go straight onto ebay and get em easy..

As for post, I'm always prepared to pay as long as I don't get ripped off.. John Manship BTW, I simply don't go too at all, I never buy from him but I went to join his auction the other day and it would cost me a pound for a free to view site, next he will be putting up a pay Wall over the rarest of the rare section......!!

His prices are way over board, and condition is not always what's advertised, I'd say Craig Morer is a better guy to buy from any day of the week...:yes:

Mal.C.:ph34r:

Social source share

not true, as evidenced by other examples in this thread and pretty much any interaction i ever have with record dealers. your example of john manship's website not having an automated offer system is not proof that "it only happens here". if you don't want offers, put "no offers" in your listing as again, it's expected in record buying.

Social source share

I always make offers especially if Im spending over a £100.With a few cheaper bits never usually bother.I have always haggled with dealers face to face and over the internet.Had plenty of dealings with people on here especially Keith W and always come to a deal that is satisfactory.Fact is in the current climate with people losing jobs etc expendable cash has become even tighter and it is a buyers market.I buy records in all different genres jazz/latin/prog rock/psych and it's the same with all the shops/dealers/sellers. Never buy from Manship because he has a reputation as an expensive seller.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

I posted a list up for Mick Smith yesterday, and after a few hours I rang him and said well how did it go? He said yeah, he'd done pretty well, mainly off his postal list, I said did you get many orders off Soul Source? He said he had four or five - he knew they'd come from Soul Source because they were the only ones who tried to get him to knock money off or do free postage :lol:

Only happens on here.

:hatsoff2: Hi All, - PETE...I think you have a good point here!.. I have bought Records as you no for 40+. And Jere has always been unwritten protocol about Buying Selling & Dealing in genral...(1) Buying from a Dealer at a Record Fair / Venue I have always haggled when buying. it's a recognized part of collecting, and if for example want a record,I have often haggled a Dealer with a low price just to allow my mate to up the price! but still get it cheap (putting doubt about the Sellers pricing always works} it works the other way around when selling records for others as discounts will effect my 10% earnings?

(2) Dealers Lists I have had lists from Mick Smith & Will Johnson for many years now, if I use Mick Smith as a good example over the many years of our friendship and having spent £100's with him, he has never gave me preferential treatment as this would go strongly against his personal principles of running or putting out his list,and if I have got discount from him it has been his personal design, this is because he offers records at a decent price and from my personal point of view it's just not done. many dealers who are selling very rare records will not price them, but put the word OFFERS instead.

So thats what I think, one final point is, over the last few weeks Petes list has had a few records that I would have liked to buy from him, but due to financial issues I have not been able to bid, and the have sold for 2/3 of there value? asking for discount from him is a plus take if you ask me!! :thumbsup: DAVE KIL

Social source share

not true, as evidenced by other examples in this thread and pretty much any interaction i ever have with record dealers. your example of john manship's website not having an automated offer system is not proof that "it only happens here". if you don't want offers, put "no offers" in your listing as again, it's expected in record buying.

Not in the world of set sale lists is it, and it never has been, I shouldn't have to put NO OFFERS when it's obviously a set sale list. I didn'yt mention JM's website, I just mentioned asking HIM personally. You either want the record or you don't. And as I said, I send out to 1500 people via my mailing list and the only people trying to get money off are on Soul Source, which fortunately only accounts for less than 10% of sales anyway so I'm able to wait and see if someone off the mailing list comes in to buy at the proper price or I just tell the tightwads the record's already gone. In some cases I'd rather smash the f*cking thing than reduce it when I get people who've openly been bragging about spending over a grand on a record then trying to get £20 off something I'm selling for £200.

Social source share

I've never asked discount from any seller, whether on here or via lists. Think the only time I'll haggle maybe at a car boot sale, even then it's not that often. I have a simple way of buying records, if I think it's a fair price and I can afford it,I'll buy it. If I think it's too expensive I don't. Simples! :boxing:

Social source share

I've never asked discount from any seller, whether on here or via lists. Think the only time I'll haggle maybe at a car boot sale, even then it's not that often. I have a simple way of buying records, if I think it's a fair price and I can afford it,I'll buy it. If I think it's too expensive I don't. Simples! :boxing:

Allelujah! yes.gif

Social source share

Sounds like a good way to develop a solid loyal and supportive customer base in tough times.......you're not French by any chance ?

Social source share

Sounds like a good way to develop a solid loyal and supportive customer base in tough times.......you're not French by any chance ?

I've already got a solid loyal and supportive customer base for your information, have had for 20 years, they are respectful and know they always get a good deal from me without having to beg...you're not a pr*ck by any chance?

Social source share

I've already got a solid loyal and supportive customer base for your information, have had for 20 years, they are respectful and know they always get a good deal from me without having to beg...you're not a pr*ck by any chance?

:yes::lol:hatsoff2.gif:D

I think a lot of sellers on here are selling a few of their own to buy others, so they want to sell to fund their other purchase. This can lead to buyers making offers and getting them accepted, so they do it with everyone.

I'm quite happy to listen to offers but some people do take the p*ss! I've had people offer 25% less than the asking and then want free Special delivery postage and pay by paypal. If you ask why they think you should reduce a record by what is effectively a third of your asking price you rarely get a reply.

I think it is people who want to buy to sell on that usually ask for unreasonable discounts. People who are buying for their collections are usually quite reasonable.

All IMHO :boxing: so probably wrong

Social source share

This happens all the time when selling at nighters etc.

Seems to be totally acceptable at events when selling face to face so I suppose most buyers feel comfortable enough to do it on here.

If some-one makes an offer that you are not happy with tell them to ask again in a week or so if it's not sold...up to them to take the chance or not then.

Social source share

Guest JohnnyHitman

I posted a list up for Mick Smith yesterday, and after a few hours I rang him and said well how did it go? He said yeah, he'd done pretty well, mainly off his postal list, I said did you get many orders off Soul Source? He said he had four or five - he knew they'd come from Soul Source because they were the only ones who tried to get him to knock money off or do free postage :boxing:

Only happens on here.

For me that's a quite silly statement for a businessman/dealer/etc. Anyway, I'll try to explain why. First of all it could be a cultural thing. If you go to Turkey/Asia/South Europe etc and pay the the first price they're offering you you're just plain stupid. This also can be said for fleamarket sales. They tell you a price and you tell them a price, it's called trading! It has been done in the world since a few thousand years. You give me an apple and I'll give you 3 onions...If you buy a car you haggle, even in a designer and furniture shop you do it. Why not here? If you're not used to it in UK go to Turkey and you'll see how they haggle. Sometimes they do it for months about one item. It's like playing football for them, a hobby, very simple! You're a businessman and if you can't stand offers just say it in your buying policies.

Just say NO OFFERS, very easy or just don't reply if you can't handle it but please stop moaning...

BTW I also haggled with Craig Moerer and he did give me a discount!! John Manship has sometimes fair prices but most of his records are worth 50-75% of his price! And surprise surprise I don't buy from him as I'm not a millionaire as he is...

Social source share

its often easier to send an email asking if the seller will take a tenner less than to work for an hour or so to earn a tenner

most people later reduce their record prices on here if they dont sell if they are willing to take 40 for a record they advertise at 50 one day later why dont they advertise it at 40 to start with ( becasue they know they will get offered 30 ) or because they want to make as much as they can on the selling , either to maximise profit or to reduce loss as they probably paid too much for it to start with.

so by going on what has been said this thread its ok to offer people money at nighters and record fairs but if the same dealer is selling same records by list a few days later then you should pay full price

i know of a very trusted dj on the scene who told me that he had just seen someone pay £1000 + cash for a very rare uk demo at a fair and the dealer then told him that he had another couple of copies at home that he was holding back so to keep the price high

the majority of people selling records on here do it as a hobby etc not a business and i bet that all gains are not reported to the tax man or have vat added to sale prices like the main dealers have to do, then there is paypal / card fees so you can soon add 20% difference to the cost of the record from a cash transaction

if you offer then you take the chance of someone coming in and paying full price against the chance of saving afew pounds

truth is there are alot of dealers selling stuff that is still over priced and alot of wannabe djs willing to pay over the top for sounds and then wanting this money back when trying to sell them on, a couple of things yesterday were posted for 15 and 30 when a dealer i use sells these for 4 and 12 and has them in regulaly

at the end of the day a record is worth what someone is prepared to pay , if they pay your price they get the record if not they wait for another copy to turn up

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Thing is, I've had people buying off me for 20 years and they never embarass themselves by asking for money off - they know in 99% of cases I sell cheaper than anyone else anyway.

This is why I don't do regular lists anymore,I prefer to sell at gig's so you can a proper chat going face to face.I do have some very strict rules that I stick to I never move on price on new stock or new release record and c.d's .I've just paid £143.00 vat /import duty to fedex no one volenters to helpout on that little government thieve !!!.Times are hard and this is reflected on the price of everything at the moment so we've got to go with it Pete sell to who want's to pay .

All the best Simon Hunt.

Social source share

Guest Ranger

they way this thread is going there seems to be two questions.

Firstly can buyers haggle over prices? Of course they can, it's part of business. Dealers try to buy for a price that will give them a decent profit and will usually haggle over it, so why can't buyers look to get a price that gives them value for money? Personally I don't unless the total price of the record(s) I'm buying is over £100, then I'd look for a 10% reduction. As far as 'Set Sale' lists are concerned I don't see that there's any harm in asking, the dealer can always say no! In any event you often see lists with reduced price items that haven't shifted so in the right circumstances there must be room for movement.

Secondly are SS members more likely to haggle? Probably so. A lot of members trawl the net and use Ebay. Like it or not the market has changed because of this as buyers frequently see records sold at lower than dealer prices. It might well be unstructured but the internet is additional competition.

Kev

Social source share

they way this thread is going there seems to be two questions.

Firstly can buyers haggle over prices? Of course they can, it's part of business. Dealers try to buy for a price that will give them a decent profit and will usually haggle over it, so why can't buyers look to get a price that gives them value for money? Personally I don't unless the total price of the record(s) I'm buying is over £100, then I'd look for a 10% reduction. As far as 'Set Sale' lists are concerned I don't see that there's any harm in asking, the dealer can always say no! In any event you often see lists with reduced price items that haven't shifted so in the right circumstances there must be room for movement.

Secondly are SS members more likely to haggle? Probably so. A lot of members trawl the net and use Ebay. Like it or not the market has changed because of this as buyers frequently see records sold at lower than dealer prices. It might well be unstructured but the internet is additional competition.

Kev

SPOT ON thumbsup.gif

Kieran

Social source share

This is too much like hard work having to explain to f*ckwits so I'll close the topic and repeat for the last time, if I do set sale list, it's for the set sale prices, if a record has OFFERS next to it, it's up for offers, if you can't understand that then God help you.

Social source share