Catacombs 5Th Anniversary Dj's Reunion - Dedicated To Blue Max

SOULVATION PRESENTS CATACOMBS DJ'S 5TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION/AFTER PARTY FOR CATACOMBS HISTORIC PLAQUE UNVEILING

GREAT WYRLEY FOOTBALL CLUB (BETWEEN WALSALL AND CANNOCK, JUST OFF A5 ORBITAL ISLAND) DIRECTIONS ON WWW.SOULVATION.BIZ

SATURDAY JULY 10 - 8PM TILL IAM

FEATURING EX CATACOMS DJ'S GRAHAM WARR - CARL DENE - BILL BAKER - NEIL RUSHTON PLUS "THE FRIENDS OF BLUE MAX"

THE CHARACTER WE ARE ALL GOING TO MISS ON THE NIGHT IS OF COURSE BLUE MAX/MAX MILLWARD. MAX WAS A CATACOMBS LEGEND, A SOULVATION STALWART, AND A FRIEND AND THE NIGHT IS BEING DEDICATED TO HIM. TO MARK THIS A GROUP OF HIS FRIENDS/DJ COLLEAGUES WILL BE COLLECTIVELY FILLING IN WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN MAX'S SPOT AS "FRIENDS OF BLUE MAX".

THESE INCLUDE - JOHN PUGH, KENNY ONIONS, JELLYBEAN & MART, GAZ LEES, ROB HAIGH, SANDI & HARPO, MARK FREEMAN, ALAN & PAT CARTER, PAUL DONNELLY,MICK HOLDSWORTH,

NIGE BROWNM,MARK FREEMAN,STEVE POWELL AND GARY HOLYMAN. (TED MASSEY HAS PASSED ON HIS APOLOGIES, HE IS BOOKED ELSEWHERE AND AS TED SAYS MAX BEING MAX HE WOULD HAVE INSISTED TED HONOUR THE BOOKING).

WE WILL BE RAISING MONEY ON THE NIGHT FOR CAUSES DECIDED BY MAX'S FAMILY,,AND A MEMBER OF THE FAMILY WILL BE THERE TO SAY A FEW WORDS. THE NEXT GOOD TIMES SOUL NIGHT AT BROOKFIELDS WILL BE A MONEY RAISER FOR THE SAME CAUSES, AND AS THAT WAS MAX'S VENUE WE DO NOT WANT TO TAKE ANY ATTENTION AWAY FROM THAT,BUT WE DO HOPE TO RAISE A SOME MONEY TO BOOST THE FUND.

AT IPM ON JULY 10, BY ARRANGEMENT WITH WOLVERHAMPTON CIVIC SOCIETY, A COMMEMORATVIE BLUE PLAQUE WILL BE UNVEILED ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDING IN TEMPLE STREET, WOLVERHAMPTON THAT USED TO HOUSE THE CATS' - "THE GREATEST LITTLE SOUL CLUB IN THE LAND". THIS WAS ARRANGED BEFORE MAX'S PASSING, AND AS MAX WAS DUE TO SPEAK AT THE CEREMONY,THE ORGANISERS ARE LOOKING AT DEDICATING THE CEREMONY TO MAX. EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO COME ALONG, SO IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE A GOOD TURNOUT AND TO PAY TRIBUTE NOT JUST TO MAX BUT ALSO TO BOB CROCKER AND ALAN SMITH, TWO OTHER CATACOMBS DJ'S WHO ARE NO LONGER WITH US.

THE DOORS AT GREAT WYRLEY OPEN AT 8PM, BUT A BAR-B-Q AND BAR WILL BE OPEN AT THE VENUE FROM 6PM.

ADMISSION IS £5 BEFORE 9PM, £6 AFTER.

FULL DETAILS ON - WWW.SOULVATION.BIZ

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by NeilRushton1
  • Replies 33
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest soul elite

SOULVATION PRESENTS CATACOMBS DJ'S 5TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION/AFTER PARTY FOR CATACOMBS HISTORIC PLAQUE UNVEILING

GREAT WYRLEY FOOTBALL CLUB (BETWEEN WALSALL AND CANNOCK, JUST OFF A5 ORBITAL ISLAND) DIRECTIONS ON WWW.SOULVATION.BIZ

SATURDAY JULY 10 - 8PM TILL IAM

FEATURING EX CATACOMS DJ'S GRAHAM WARR - CARL DENE - BILL BAKER - NEIL RUSHTON PLUS "THE FRIENDS OF BLUE MAX"

THE CHARACTER WE ARE ALL GOING TO MISS ON THE NIGHT IS OF COURSE BLUE MAX/MAX MILLWARD. MAX WAS A CATACOMBS LEGEND, A SOULVATION STALWART, AND A FRIEND AND THE NIGHT IS BEING DEDICATED TO HIM. TO MARK THIS A GROUP OF HIS PALS/DJ COLLEAGUES WILL BE COLLECTIVELY FILLING IN WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN MAX'S SPOT AS "FRIENDS OF BLUE MAX".

THESE INCLUDE - JOHN PUGH, KENNY ONIONS, JELLYBEAN & MART, GAZ LEES, ROB HAIGH, SANDI & HARPO, MARK FREEMAN, ALAN & PAT CARTER, PAUL DONNELLY,MICK HOLDSWORTH,

MARK FREEMAN,STEVE POWELL AND GARY HOLYMAN. (TED MASSEY HAS PASSED ON HIS APOLOGIES, HE IS BOOKED ELSEWHERE AND AS TED SAYS MAX BEING MAX HE WOULD HAVE INSISTED TED HONOUR THE BOOKING).

WE WILL BE RAISING MONEY ON THE NIGHT FOR CAUSES DECIDED BY MAX'S FAMILY,,AND A MEMBER OF THE FAMILY WILL BE THERE TO SAY A FEW WORDS. THE NEXT GOOD TIMES SOUL NIGHT AT BROOKFIELDS WILL BE A MONEY RAISER FOR THE SAME CAUSES, AND AS THAT WAS MAX'S VENUE WE DO NOT WANT TO TAKE ANY ATTENTION AWAY FROM THAT,BUT WE DO HOPE TO RAISE A FEW BOB TO BOOST THE FUND.

AT IPM ON JULY 10, BY ARRANGEMENT WITH WOLVERHAMPTON CIVIC SOCIETY, A COMMEMORATVIE BLUE PLAQUE WILL BE UNVEILED ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDING IN TEMPLE STREET, WOLVERHAMPTON THAT USED HOUSE THE CATS' - "THE GREATEST LITTLE SOUL CLUB IN THE LAND". THIS WAS ARRANGED BEFORE MAX'S PASSING, AND AS MAX WAS DUE TO SPEAK AT THE CEREMONY,THE ORGANISERS ARE LOOKING AT DEDICATING THE CEREMONY TO MAX. EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO COME ALONG, SO IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE A GOOD TURNOUT AND TO PAY TRIBUTE NOT JUST TO MAX BUT ALSO TO BOB CROCKER AND ALAN SMITH, TWO OTHER CATACOMBS DJ'S WHO ARE NO LONGER WITH US.

THE DOORS AT GREAT WYRLEY OPEN AT 8PM, BUT A BAR-B-Q AND BAR WILL BE OPEN AT THE VENUE FROM 6PM.

ADMISSION IS £5 BEFORE 9PM, £6 AFTER.

FULL DETAILS ON - WWW.SOULVATION.BIZ

Thanks,

Neil

We'll definitely be there, couldn't make it to the funeral.

see you soon Jellybean:D XXXXXX

Hi Neil

Looking forward to Honoring a Legendary Scene Venue and Four of the Men who spun the vinyl no longer with us,,,,

BOB CROCKER,, ALAN S , FROGGY and of course Blue Max

Im sure the evening do will be a special night !!

Nige

Edited by Nige Brown

Hi Neil,

Just want to thankyou for asking me & Mart to DJ on this very special occasion,we both feel truely honoured that you have asked us :lol: and I have arranged to have the day off from work to be there for the unveiling of the commorative blue plaque for our Blue Max bless him. :thumbsup:

JB & Mart x x x

The Catacombs get together is the one event of the year that I always look forward to. Awesome rythm and soul-northern soul from the true bedrock of the scene and all from the original dj-s of the era, and all of it at 100 mph. This years event will be one that will long live on in my heart, with its special tribute to our dear departed friend Blue Max and I'm sure that every piece of vinyl played on the day will bring back the many happy memories that we have all shared.

Lets get ready to rumble - Catacombs reunion July 10th :rolleyes:

Guest Phil Richards

Hi Neil,

Just want to thankyou for asking me & Mart to DJ on this very special occasion,we both feel truely honoured that you have asked us :hatsoff2: and I have arranged to have the day off from work to be there for the unveiling of the commorative blue plaque for our Blue Max bless him. wub.gif

JB & Mart x x x

Me and Sue will not be there have a good one JB

Just seen photo of the plaque - it is actually already mounted on a wall at what is now Wolverhampton Job Centre/DSS ready for the unveiling.

Even cynical old me got a bit emotional seing it - what a special place The Catacombs was ..."the greatest little soul club in the land"..... and then some.

Firsr night I went was in 1972. I had persuaded my mate Bill Baker to use his car and take us to Sheffield to see Birmingham City get hammered by Leeds in an FA Cup semi-final. Blues took 25,000 supporters and even Bill - a Wolves boy - was impressed by the fantaticism. To cheer me up after Leeds beat us, Bill said we would go on to The Cats. The place was like a furnace, the sounds and dancing was amazing, and copies turned up of Bobby Hebb "Love Love Love" on USA Phillips. I drove my Mum and Dad mad playing it about 25 times the next day.

Memories include getting there early one night and inveigling our way into the DJ booth to see Bob Crocker opening a package from the USA and triumphantly pulling out a copy of Sandi Sheldon, the top rarities on Peps' record lists,all written out in ultra neat handwriting and then photo copied, and the now historic night when Graham Warr came back from one of his USA trips and proceeded to give the first UK spins to Epitome Of Sound, Dena Barnes, George Carrow,Jimmy Conwell and loads more...and thinking my brain was going to explode when he pulled out "There's That Mountain" - The Trips, it was like how can there be possiblly be another vocal to "That Beatin' Rhythm", this can't get any better, our own world in our own club...

Friday nights belonged to Oscar Michael. I had been after a copy of Jeanette White "Music" for ages and couldn't believe it when he sold me a UK demo. It doesn't mean much now, but at the time that record was a Catacombs anthem with her screaminhg vocal and that piledriver of a rhythm track.

And 2 years after that first night me and Bill - separately from each other - ended up DJing at The Cats. When you were behind the decks there the atmosphere made your heart pump louder,,and the hairs on the back of your necks stand up.

Fontella Bass was the best act I saw. there..Bob & Earl the worse. One of them was drunk and the manager cut the show early...they hadn't got a clue what to peform at the club that had championed their Bob Relf, Jackie Lee and Bobby Garrett releases.

What a club...so sweet, so satisfying indeed. Listening to "Blowing My Mind To Pieces", "I Can't Get Enough", "Hit & Run", "Shing A Ling" and "If You Ask Me" with the speakers seeming to hang on to the sonic explosion of each record before releasing it around a corner was like an out of body experience. Catacombs plaque.pdf

Edited by NeilRushton1

Just seen photo of the plaque - it is actually already mounted on a wall at what is now Wolverhampton Job Centre/DSS ready for the unveiling.

Even cynical old me got a bit emotional seing it - what a special place The Catacombs was ..."the greatest little soul club in the land"..... and then some.

Firsr night I went was in 1972. I had persuaded my mate Bill Baker to use his car and take us to Sheffield to see Birmingham City get hammered by Leeds in an FA Cup semi-final. Blues took 25,000 supporters and even Bill - a Wolves boy - was impressed by the fantaticism. To cheer me up after Leeds beat us, Bill said we would go on to The Cats. The place was like a furnace, the sounds and dancing was amazing, and copies turned up of Bobby Hebb "Love Love Love" on USA Phillips. I drove my Mum and Dad mad playing it about 25 times the next day.

Memories include getting there early one night and inveigling our way into the DJ booth to see Bob Crocker opening a package from the USA and triumphantly pulling out a copy of Sandi Sheldon, the top rarities on Peps' record lists,all written out in ultra neat handwriting and then photo copied, and the now historic night when Graham Warr came back from one of his USA trips and proceeded to give the first UK spins to Epitome Of Sound, Dena Barnes, George Carrow,Jimmy Conwell and loads more...and thinking my brain was going to explode when he pulled out "There's That Mountain" - The Trips, it was like how can there be possiblly be another vocal to "That Beatin' Rhythm", this can't get any better, our own world in our own club...

Friday nights belonged to Oscar Michael. I had been after a copy of Jeanette White "Music" for ages and couldn't believe it when he sold me a UK demo. It doesn't mean much now, but at the time that record was a Catacombs anthem with her screaminhg vocal and that piledriver of a rhythm track.

And 2 years after that first night me and Bill - separately from each other - ended up DJing at The Cats. When you were behind the decks there the atmosphere made your heart pump louder,,and the hairs on the back of your necks stand up.

Fontella Bass was the best act I saw. there..Bob & Earl the worse. One of them was drunk and the manager cut the show early...they hadn't got a clue what to peform at the club that had championed their Bob Relf, Jackie Lee and Bobby Garrett releases.

What a club...so sweet, so satisfying indeed. Listening to "Blowing My Mind To Pieces", "I Can't Get Enough", "Hit & Run", "Shing A Ling" and "If You Ask Me" with the speakers seeming to hang on to the sonic explosion of each record before releasing it around a corner was like an out of body experience. Catacombs plaque.pdf

Nice 1 Neil see you on Saturday afternoon :yes:

JB x x x

Hi Neil

Looking forward to Honoring a Legendary Scene Venue and Four of the Men who spun the vinyl no longer with us,,,,

BOB CROCKER,, ALAN S , FROGGY and of course Blue Max

Im sure the evening do will be a special night !!

Nige

Right on the button quote Nige

should be a very special night

sure these legends will be honored

in style :thumbup:

Will post up DJ times tomorrow.

Looks like being a busy night, for directons to the venue go to the Soulvation web site - www.soulvation.biz

Got the UK Columbia "Chart-Busters USA" LP sorted out so can play "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" - Walter Jackson on British.

It was, of course, the last record ever played at The Cats. I had a holiday booked and so couldn't go to the last night, so while The Cats was closing was at The Compass Club in Torquay, where we met for the first time Bob & Maureen Hinsley!.

Neil

Edited by NeilRushton1

DJ Times are as Follows

---------------------------------

Just like we did at New Year's Eve @ Great Wyrley, we will have 2 sets of decks set up which should work really well for the 2 sets by "Friends Of Blue Max".

8pm - Bill Baker (early club classics, all those British demos)

9pm - Carl Dene (more of the same from the man who was a legend at The Cats in the late 60's)

9.30pm - Friends Of Blue Max Part 1 - (Catacombs Classics all the way as played by Max) ...Nige Brown,Sandi & Harpo,Steve Powell, Mark Freeman,Gaz Lees, Mick Holdsworth.

10.15pm - Graham Warr (some of the many classics he discovered in USA and introduced to the Northern scene with first spins at "the greatest litle soul club in the land").

11pm - Friends Of Blue Max Part 2 (more of Max's big Temple Street sounds) -Kenny Onions, John Pugh,Jellybean & Mart, Alan & Pat Carter,, Rob Haigh,Gary Holyman.

11.45pm - Carl Dene

12.15am till; 1am finish -- Bill Baker/Neil Rushton (more British demos and Catacombs 100mph stompers as played from 72 - 74).

The banners to dress the club on the night have just turned up.

They are 8 ft a 2 ft, black and white, and based on the classic Catacombs Blues & Soul ads as used on Soul Source banner advertising the reunion.

On the night they will be auctioned off to raise money for causes that Max supported.

Anyone know if IAN POPPLES will be in attendence !!

I always remember him at the Cats 1971-72 in his Black Blazer with the yellow pipin ,, sounds aweful now but back in the day Super Cool!!

In fact from that sorta time onwards Ian Popples was everwhere ,,,, a true Mids Soul Legend

Be so cool to see him again i know he comes out occasionaly!!

Nige B

I always remember him at the Cats 1971-72 in his Black Blazer with the yellow pipin ,, sounds aweful now but back in the day Super Cool!!

In fact from that sorta time onwards Ian Popples was everwhere ,,,, a true Mids Soul Legend

Nige B

Ric-Tic !

not sure I'd recognise him now, but hey, that goes for 99% of people these days !

Nige B

Ric-Tic was going to come but now has other commitments. Was speaking to him last night and he sends his regards.

For the attention of those in the West Midlands - the Express & Star will be running what should quite a big piece in their Friday paper about the Saturday plaque unveiling at the site where The Catacombs used to be in Temple Street..

Neil

Thanks for that Neil,I must remember to get a paper tomorrow :lol:

See you Saturday. :thumbsup:

JB x x x

Looks like being a busy night, for directons to the venue go to the Soulvation web site - www.soulvation.biz

Got the UK Columbia "Chart-Busters USA" LP sorted out so can play "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" - Walter Jackson on British.

It was, of course, the last record ever played at The Cats. I had a holiday booked and so couldn't go to the last night, so while The Cats was closing was at The Compass Club in Torquay, where we met for the first time Bob & Maureen Hinsley!.

Neil

Sorry, I can't be at this one due to other commitments.

I have a feeling this is going to be "a night to remember".

ATB

TOP TUNEMEISTERS WISH I COULD BE THERE TO CELEBRATE THE SPIRIT OF 'TEMPLE STREET' AVA TOP NITE !!!! I'M SURE Y'ALL WILL .. APART FROM ALL THE CLASSIC SIDES SPUN AT THE CATS ....... AS A YOUNG LAD AT ME MUMS YOUTH CLUB A COUPLE OF TRAX ALWAYS REMIND ME OF THE OLDER GUYS N GALS SAYIN BIG AT CATS ' CAT WALK'...WHAT ELSE' ...LEE DAVID',,,, TEMPTATIONS A CALLIN MY NAME..BABY YOU BETA HURRY HOME ..... 'I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU' ETC ETC BUT HEY DUNNA FORGET ' THE FUNKY CHICKEN' N ' LIQUIDATOR' ...STILL GETS ME OFF MY ARSE BUT WHERE DYA HEAR EM NOW !!!

CPTN M :thumbsup:

Edited by bearsoul

Neil

PRAISE THE LORD THAT IT'S NOT JUSST ME WHO STILL LOVES 'WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE BY WALTER J, ORIGINALLY AN ANTI-WAR SONG WRITTEN BY PETE SEEGER .......BLIMEY !!! I'M GONNA GET ON TINTERNET AND LISTEN TO IT ...

TOP BOOK SIR !!!!!!

CPTN M :thumbsup:

Im really sorry im not going to be there as im in Weston:( , i shall play a few things in rememberance of Max to thank him for all his support for the West Midlands soul fraternity.

Dont worry Ted i will spin one for you :lol:

have a top night in weston ( im sure you mean Weston Super Mare) :thumbsup::yes:

Ken

All Fired Up and Ready to Rock n Roll Hee Hee

Just back from The Plaque at Temple Street

Lets Hear them Cats Monsters on a Full Dancefloor

"Bearfootin time,,,, in China Town,..... Bear footin,,, Bearfootin All Around,,,,Ohhhh,, In China Town,,,,,,,"

Lester Young,,,,

For sure one of my 3 0r 4 to spin TONITE!!

Nice Hot Just like them Corridors at the Cats

Bring it on!!

Nige B x

post-1851-043893800 1278773439_thumb.jpg

Guest THE BARRON DJ

Just had a phone call from my sister re Max cant belive he has gone we had some great times together he use to come to the Pink and guest for me BRILL times .

god bless mate

pics included

Ian(Scotty THE BARRON)Gibbonspost-13011-012987000 1279053083_thumb.jppost-13011-047565000 1279053084_thumb.jp

post-13011-012987000 1279053083_thumb.jp

post-13011-047565000 1279053084_thumb.jp