Guy Hennigan Interview - Janice Long 1988

Been trawling through my old cassette tapes and found this 1988 (I think) interview with Guy Hennigan and Janice Long off Radio One as I remember.

Considering Janice's lack of knowledge she did give Guy the repect he deserved and not a bad interview at all considering.

Guy plays some great tunes including:

Embers - First Time

Inticers - Since You Left

Jackie Day - Naughty Boy

Brooks Brothers - Looking for a Woman

Roscoe Shelton - You are the Dream

Inverts -Time will Change

All big sounds for Guy at the time.

Well worth a listen....comments welcome.

Edited by soulechoes
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Great Stuff. The Gems sounded like happy hardcore though and Guy really ought to leave off the helium on school nights :hatsoff2:

Ta for posting this.

Social source share

More than welcome guys....it's what friday nights in are all about!

As I said better than expected interview really...considering it was Radio One!

Think Janice had done her homework before the interview!

Maybe her boyfriend at the time...told her don't take the piss we take this seriously!

Thought I'd share...will keep checking the old cassettes!

Jonzy.

Social source share

Guy really ought to leave off the helium on school nights :hatsoff2:

hee hee....he was younger in those days...maybe his voice hadn't broke!

But yes it's a bit 47 rpm! it's the Moses Smith version rather than Epitome Of Sound interview!

Or maybe Prophets rather than Originals?

Tried in a few cassette players so think it was my recorder at the time!

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Fantastic stuff!!! I am suprised though that Guy wasn't aware of the Mod/Scooter/Skinhead szene over in Europe (West Germany, Italy, Spain...) who were into Northern Soul. There were regular events since the early 80's!!! I was on a diet of Punk, Two Tone and a bit of Motown but I was fenced in and didn't know anything about the Northern Szene until just after the wall came down. I would have been blown away by the tracks in 1988!!!

Social source share

I listened to this at the time, Guy came over really well, even if his knowledge of female fashions trends on the scene was restricted to "strappy dresses"! :hypo: I seem to remember him playing a really tight mid tempo track, credited to a familiar name but unreleased? He described it as "finger snapping soul", he might also have said "super smooth, out of Chicago" (quite Smashie n' Nicie. Not 'alf!) - ring any bells?

Social source share

I listened to this at the time, Guy came over really well, even if his knowledge of female fashions trends on the scene was restricted to "strappy dresses"! :rolleyes: I seem to remember him playing a really tight mid tempo track, credited to a familiar name but unreleased? He described it as "finger snapping soul", he might also have said "super smooth, out of Chicago" (quite Smashie n' Nicie. Not 'alf!) - ring any bells?

chuck carter HEY GIRL HES A LOVER or something like that, ,,,

Social source share

Brilliant - Guy Hennigan was a good bloke and a great DJ - he was very helpful to me when I started going over to the States in the mid 80s - didn't mind helping a young lad out with some steers as to where to go. Bit spooky hearing him now actually. Hearing him discuss the prices of records... I wish I'd piled everything I earned into vinyl in the 1980s and 90s (instead of only half of it :rolleyes:)

Social source share

• 8 years later...
On 25/06/2010 at 21:47, Mark Jones said:

Been trawling through my old cassette tapes and found this 1988 (I think) interview with Guy Hennigan and Janice Long off Radio One as I remember.

Considering Janice's lack of knowledge she did give Guy the repect he deserved and not a bad interview at all considering.

Guy plays some great tunes including:

Embers - First Time

Inticers - Since You Left

Jackie Day - Naughty Boy

Brooks Brothers - Looking for a Woman

Roscoe Shelton - You are the Dream

Inverts -Time will Change

All big sounds for Guy at the time.

Well worth a listen....comments welcome.

saw this and then saw this...

match

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Great times and places. 

Guy Hennigan was one of the very top DJ's at the time, and part of the proper hard core of the Northern Soul scene!

Social source share

I remember listening to this live at the time. It was before 1988 and was closer to 1985, I think. I played the tape back many times. It was the first time I heard Yvonne Verneee and Ronnie Forte and they blew me away.

Social source share

3 hours ago, speedlimit said:

Remember these well. Terry Christian also did a stint on radio Derby to if I remember right which guy also did 

Yes, Terry Christian before he became famous did radio Derby, he was one of the few that bought awards to the Derby based station. Guy did it and later Dave Evison. I, Tim Finch, Guy and Chris King took Richard Popcorn Wylie on the show onetime and all of us including Terry went over Normanton for a curry afterwards.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Gilly said:

Yes, Terry Christian before he became famous did radio Derby, he was one of the few that bought awards to the Derby based station. Guy did it and later Dave Evison. I, Tim Finch, Guy and Chris King took Richard Popcorn Wylie on the show onetime and all of us including Terry went over Normanton for a curry afterwards.

Any remaining audio of those shows Gilly?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Any remaining audio of those shows Gilly?

If there is I'm not aware of them, something ive written in my forever forthcoming book is that in those days they payed someone to log everything down that was played on the show (don't know if they still have to do that now) in its full details but they had a shock when Guy went on the show as he was playing acetates that he and we had picked up in Detroit with little to no information written upon. The poor girls head was in bits.

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Gilly said:

If there is I'm not aware of them, something ive written in my forever forthcoming book is that in those days they payed someone to log everything down that was played on the show (don't know if they still have to do that now) in its full details but they had a shock when Guy went on the show as he was playing acetates that he and we had picked up in Detroit with little to no information written upon. The poor girls head was in bits.

Brilliant story thanks Gilly - good luck with the book

Social source share

Is there a recording out there of the interview that Guy and Chris King done on radio1? Sure it was a Saturday afternoon when they’d played the niter at Bilston near Edinburgh on the Friday. Think the only 2 tracks played were Yvonne Vernee and Eric&Vikings. Would be 86 if I remember correctly 

Social source share

23 hours ago, mark w said:

Is there a recording out there of the interview that Guy and Chris King done on radio1? Sure it was a Saturday afternoon when they’d played the niter at Bilston near Edinburgh on the Friday. Think the only 2 tracks played were Yvonne Vernee and Eric&Vikings. Would be 86 if I remember correctly 

Not aware of a radio show, nor dismissing it either but later 85 or more likely 86 is correct as Eric & Vikings was pulled out of Popcorns basement by Chris, Guy and myself in 85 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!