John Bowie-You're Gonna Miss A Good Thing Baby
My Dear Heart - Shawn Robinson

Please write me if you sell this 45.
my e-mail address is:
talcumpowder@katamail.com

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Hello,

Concerning John Bowie. He was lead singer for The Philadelphians; a Philly R&B group of the late fifties and sixties. The Philadelphians used to rehearse at The Community Center located at 10th and Thompson Sts. of The Cambria Hgts. projects. In 1962, I met Big John and members of The Philadelphians at the center. I had a R&B group called The Premieres from The Richard Allen Projects near The Cambria Hgts Projects. Members of The Philadelphians were Big John as lead, Frank Gordon as bass, Sam as second tenor, and Eddie as first tenor. I don't remember the name of the baritone singer.They recorded for Campus Records, Cameo-Parkway and Jamie-Guyden with such recordings as Dear, The Love I Lost, I Missed Her, Coming Home To You, The Vow, Church Bells and My Love- My Love. The Premieres were a new group starting out and they helped us a lot to win a local talent show at The B&R club. We won a chance to record at a Jamie Record Studio on Girard Ave where we recorded "Devil Woman b/w Don't Leave Me". However, our manager then took the tapes of the recording to New York and we never saw him again. Disillusioned, the group disbanded and I went on to sing bass for The Informers (If You Love Me and Baby Set Me Free on J-Rude and Blackjack labels). After retuning home from the military in 1973 I ran into Frank Gordon at a movie theater where he told me that The Philadelphians had split up and John was doing some production and solo work. Big John had did some work with The Delchords out of Harrisburg, Pa. This group was the origin of The Magnificent Men (Peace Of Mind). There also was some word that Big John did some production work with The Three Degrees. Big John later went on to be Little John Bowie on Merben label. I read an article by David Brown from Philly Archives/ Funkadelphia Records written for Scoop newspaper in Philly that Big John had died from a robbery attempt at a gas station where he worked. This article was dated in the 1998 and had the approximate date of death about 1985. As for the other members, according to David Brown, they may all have passed. He didn't know their names. In talking with him I gave him the names I remembered. I hope this info is helpful. I am currently singin bass with a group called Quiet Storm. We sing R&B/Soul from the fifties, sixties and seventies. Perhaps you will hear of us soon. Take Care. Kamau Akiba ( formerly Henry "Smitty" Smith )

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hello,

Concerning John Bowie. He was lead singer for The Philadelphians; a Philly R&B group of the late fifties and sixties. The Philadelphians used to rehearse at The Community Center located at 10th and Thompson Sts. of The Cambria Hgts. projects. In 1962, I met Big John and members of The Philadelphians at the center. I had a R&B group called The Premieres from The Richard Allen Projects near The Cambria Hgts Projects. Members of The Philadelphians were Big John as lead, Frank Gordon as bass, Sam as second tenor, and Eddie as first tenor. I don't remember the name of the baritone singer.They recorded for Campus Records, Cameo-Parkway and Jamie-Guyden with such recordings as Dear, The Love I Lost, I Missed Her, Coming Home To You, The Vow, Church Bells and My Love- My Love. The Premieres were a new group starting out and they helped us a lot to win a local talent show at The B&R club. We won a chance to record at a Jamie Record Studio on Girard Ave where we recorded "Devil Woman b/w Don't Leave Me". However, our manager then took the tapes of the recording to New York and we never saw him again. Disillusioned, the group disbanded and I went on to sing bass for The Informers (If You Love Me and Baby Set Me Free on J-Rude and Blackjack labels). After retuning home from the military in 1973 I ran into Frank Gordon at a movie theater where he told me that The Philadelphians had split up and John was doing some production and solo work. Big John had did some work with The Delchords out of Harrisburg, Pa. This group was the origin of The Magnificent Men (Peace Of Mind). There also was some word that Big John did some production work with The Three Degrees. Big John later went on to be Little John Bowie on Merben label. I read an article by David Brown from Philly Archives/ Funkadelphia Records written for Scoop newspaper in Philly that Big John had died from a robbery attempt at a gas station where he worked. This article was dated in the 1998 and had the approximate date of death about 1985. As for the other members, according to David Brown, they may all have passed. He didn't know their names. In talking with him I gave him the names I remembered. I hope this info is helpful. I am currently singin bass with a group called Quiet Storm. We sing R&B/Soul from the fifties, sixties and seventies. Perhaps you will hear of us soon. Take Care. Kamau Akiba ( formerly Henry "Smitty" Smith )

Great read that ! thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Social source share

I bought a copy of John Bowie off Butch (a well-known and very good UK 60's DJ Smitty btw) a few years back now and he told me about how he got a couple of copies from John's brother in the bronx, and it was one of the copies. Memory is hazy but i'm sure if anyone can get the story out of him it's worth telling in relation to this thread, he may even be able to help with getting in contact. Nice to hear from someone who was there Smitty, good luck.

cheers Paul

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hello,

HI SMITTY

THANKS FOR A TOP POST!!

MAKES GREAT READING!!

IT'S GREAT TO STILL BE LEARNING!

ALL THE BEST

MAX

Social source share

Hello,

Great post 'Smitty'. Thanks for taking the trouble. You have any other anecdotes about any Philly groups/artists you knew from back in the day. Be great to 'hear' them.

Social source share

I bought a copy of John Bowie off Butch (a well-known and very good UK 60's DJ Smitty btw) a few years back now and he told me about how he got a couple of copies from John's brother in the bronx, and it was one of the copies. Memory is hazy but i'm sure if anyone can get the story out of him it's worth telling in relation to this thread, he may even be able to help with getting in contact. Nice to hear from someone who was there Smitty, good luck.

cheers Paul

I have JOHN BOWIE - I Never Felt So Lonely anyone know this. Its a big, moody beat ballad.

Social source share

Hello,

Is this the same john bowie who is credited for writing SOUL STEP-THE DOGS-TREASURE?

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

Is this the same john bowie who is credited for writing SOUL STEP-THE DOGS-TREASURE?

DAMN YOU CROSBY, WAS JUST SCROLLING DOWN TO THE END TO ADD MY TWO PENNORTH! WASN'T "SOUL STEP" A B SIDE TO A MAG MEN TRACK ON CAPITOL,INDEED WRITTEN BY THE LATE MR BOWIE. I SEEM TO REMEMBER A DISPUTE ABOUT OWNERSHIP OF THE TRACK SO IT WAS PUT OUT ON TREASURE AS A THROW AWAY TRACK.DAVE SOMEBODY (THRUPP) PERHAPS EX SINGER WITH MAG MEN HAS MENTIONED THIS B4 ELESWHERE ON THE NET!

Social source share

DAMN YOU CROSBY, WAS JUST SCROLLING DOWN TO THE END TO ADD MY TWO PENNORTH! WASN'T "SOUL STEP" A B SIDE TO A MAG MEN TRACK ON CAPITOL,INDEED WRITTEN BY THE LATE MR BOWIE. I SEEM TO REMEMBER A DISPUTE ABOUT OWNERSHIP OF THE TRACK SO IT WAS PUT OUT ON TREASURE AS A THROW AWAY TRACK.DAVE SOMEBODY (THRUPP) PERHAPS EX SINGER WITH MAG MEN HAS MENTIONED THIS B4 ELESWHERE ON THE NET!

Gotta be up early to catch me matey :D:lol::D

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

Gotta be up early to catch me matey :D:lol::D

SO IS MY INFO CORRECT. I REMEMBER A STORY ON THE NET YEARS AGO REGARDING JOHN BOWIE/MAG MEN ETC

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Whilst busy working   :wink:  I was looking through some articles and came across this post.

You can have my thoughts for what they are worth........

I have had a soft spot for the Little John Bowie "my love my love" on Phil-La since I heard it on a tape (Stafford tiime, lovingly entitled "Classy 6Ts rarities from Ion the Greek")

I went and bought a copy thinking what a mega sound.....

It always seemed to have to have an older sound to it than the "Go go Annie" side.

I knew the numbering on the Phil-La singles was a little odd but thought nothing of the differences in the two matrix/catalogue numbers on each side.

I always thought the Big John & The Philadelphians records were a bit "too old school" for me.....so I never bothered with them.......Recently I saw the Big John & The Philadelphians "My love my love" on Guyden on that well known internet auction site. This had a soundclip with it......a quick listen cant hurt......bazinga....

I suddenly realised why the Phil-La side sounded older...it was! One cheeky punt later I now have two records with the same track by two different named artists on 2 labels....oh well.

Apart from the fact that it would save studio cost and the cost of a master, does anyone know why the same track was used spread across half a decade?

Ok so I now know that John Bowie is Little John Bowie and also lead for Big John & Philadelphians. I know the Merben 45 is him but is there anything else worth buying?

Also...what is going rate nowadays?

Best regards

Steve

post-28865-0-98826200-1365022786_thumb.j

post-28865-0-56109700-1365022844_thumb.j

Social source share

Hello,

Great stuff thanks Kamau  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hello,

Surely he's Dave's brother? :wink:

Social source share

Guest giant

Hello,

many thanks great read

Social source share

cheers Paul

I was going to mention that, remember I bought that off you Paul back in the 9ts...

Mal

Social source share

hi,

i search this 45:

jimmy mcfarland-lonely lover

John Bowie-You're Gonna Miss A Good Thing Baby

My Dear Heart - Shawn Robinson

Please write me if you sell this 45.

my e-mail address is:

talcumpowder@katamail.com

£310 with postage insurance to the UK out side it would be extra - look at the stamp :thumbsup:

post-8464-0-13744700-1365591097_thumb.jp

post-8464-0-31550600-1365591108_thumb.jp

Social source share

• 7 months later...

Wow, cant believe my luck.  Referring to Big John and the Philidelphians, i acquired a Mira sound Acetate of the group about 12 months ago...of "MY LOVE MY LOVE"....i was told of its release on Phil la', but was suprised as i know that was a 66 release and the acetate i had was definately earlier.   Turns out My love was released on Jamie but not with the flip i have on the acetate.  I was also told that there is another release of "my love" on a small label.....

What i guess my reason for posting is, if Smitty, has any info about the acetate i have, and if any of you, information stations, know if the flip of the acetate i have," I FOUND LOVE"  was released on any other label.  Not released on Jamie as far as i can tell.   So all told, may well be nice to hear of this acetates existance for SMITTY, and for me to find out if the  "I FOUND LOVE" is an unreleased gem, now in my possession mmmuuuuwwwaaahhhahahaha.   Or not.

Social source share

I have a 45 on Delsey records, Robin Hood and the Merri Men;

We had a quarrel/ Maryann, both sides credited as J. Bowie

and both sides produced by Bowie& Williams. Both sides good early soul, Ztsp stamped.

Could it be the same John Bowie?

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Wow, cant believe my luck.  Referring to Big John and the Philidelphians, i acquired a Mira sound Acetate of the group about 12 months ago...of "MY LOVE MY LOVE"....i was told of its release on Phil la', but was suprised as i know that was a 66 release and the acetate i had was definately earlier.   Turns out My love was released on Jamie but not with the flip i have on the acetate.  I was also told that there is another release of "my love" on a small label.....

What i guess my reason for posting is, if Smitty, has any info about the acetate i have, and if any of you, information stations, know if the flip of the acetate i have," I FOUND LOVE"  was released on any other label.  Not released on Jamie as far as i can tell.   So all told, may well be nice to hear of this acetates existance for SMITTY, and for me to find out if the  "I FOUND LOVE" is an unreleased gem, now in my possession mmmuuuuwwwaaahhhahahaha.   Or not.

Three versions of My Love, My Love were released that I know of. 

1) Big John & The Philadelphians - Guyden 2093

2) Intentions  -Jamie 1311

3) Little John Bowie - Phil LA of Soul 307

Social source share

Big regret of mine...I found not one but two copies of this, excellent condition, for $3 apiece. As the song really didn't do anything for me, I traded both copies to my friend in New Jersey. For what, I don't remember, but whatever I got, it probably wasn't a fraction of what the two records would've got me had I hung on to 'em!

Best, 

Mark

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!