The Rock - Mel Williams Cover Version

grant

may have been discussed before on here but where has The Rock - An Aspirin Would Go Crazy, with same backing as Mel Williams - Can It Be Me, sprung from. Is it a 'manufactured' piece of Northern, or from the 60's, where and when was it first played? Crazy record, but I love it!:lol:

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

may have been discussed before on here but where has The Rock - An Aspirin Would Go Crazy, with same backing as Mel Williams - Can It Be Me, sprung from. Is it a 'manufactured' piece of Northern, or from the 60's, where and when was it first played? Crazy record, but I love it!:thumbup:

So , you were listening on Saturday:lol:

A( limited) look around on Sunday, turned up the following info-

The Rock- An aspirin would go Crazy-is on the Bit Label, lovely looking btw.

Mel Williams also recorded at least 1 on the same label, so you would assume that that is were the connection begins.

Which was first recorded, I know not, but somebody will.

Seen prices anywhere from £200-£800 :lol:

Interesting tune indeed,but on balance I think I prefer Mels( until I find one for a fiver:yes: )

See ya Friday perhaps.

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Guest hudsoul

hi,,theres a clip somewhere on youtube carn't find it at the moment but its an audio recording of one of Butch's sets from droylsden nighter in the early/mid 90s and he plays it then,not sure if he played it covered up at the time though you dont get to hear him introduce it?

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

A superb slab of Northern from the golden era

mel williams - can it be me -

Novelty record which is a piece of shite

rock - an aspirin would go crazy (looking for your brain) -

Only my opinion of course, which counts for fook all anyway :thumbup:

But my mate Ian loves it don't ya fella :lol:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Only my opinion of course, which counts for fook all anyway :lol:

But my mate Ian loves it don't ya fella :thumbsup:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on records, it's what makes it all so interesting. You're right about one thing.....on this your opinion really does mean fook all :P:yes: (smilies to the left cos I'm just having bit of fun, sorry to point out the obvious but people do seem to get bit heated on here recently!!). Love the Rock, wish I'd not sold my copy and was unbelievably gutted when I couldn't log onto to JMs site in time to get a bid on the one he auctioned..and if anyone wants to sell me a clean un for the same as JM got for his on auction then PM me :lol:

Social source share

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on records, it's what makes it all so interesting. You're right about one thing.....on this your opinion really does mean fook all :lol: :lol: (smilies to the left cos I'm just having bit of fun, sorry to point out the obvious but people do seem to get bit heated on here recently!!). Love the Rock, wish I'd not sold my copy and was unbelievably gutted when I couldn't log onto to JMs site in time to get a bid on the one he auctioned..and if anyone wants to sell me a clean un for the same as JM got for his on auction then PM me :thumbsup:

agree adam great uptempo tune, soul no, dancer YES. What did it go for on JM auction? as tony said earlier seen it at a massive range of prices.

Social source share

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on records, it's what makes it all so interesting. You're right about one thing.....on this your opinion really does mean fook all :lol: :lol: (smilies to the left cos I'm just having bit of fun, sorry to point out the obvious but people do seem to get bit heated on here recently!!). Love the Rock, wish I'd not sold my copy and was unbelievably gutted when I couldn't log onto to JMs site in time to get a bid on the one he auctioned..and if anyone wants to sell me a clean un for the same as JM got for his on auction then PM me :thumbsup:

fukc me it only fives mins ago you had two copys huh.gif what did it go for on JMs site ?

Social source share

fukc me it only fives mins ago you had two copys huh.gif what did it go for on JMs site ?

Now come on Ken, you know what I'm like....and don't get cheeky with comments about 2 copies, it was 3 :lol::thumbsup:

Not seen finishing price, but last bid I saw was £209.

Tony

That was the final price Tony, IMO should have been £500+

Social source share

Now come on Ken, you know what I'm like....and don't get cheeky with comments about 2 copies, it was 3 :lol::thumbsup:

That was the final price Tony, IMO should have been £500+

fk me dont encourage 'em to bump the price up :lol:

Social source share

fk me dont encourage 'em to bump the price up :thumbsup:

:lol:

Nobody will pay much over £250-£300 for a while now.....can imagine haggling at a niter:

Buyer: How much do you want for this mate?

Seller: £500, it's a real rare 45 not one you see around

Buyer: £500? Feck off, Manship only got £209 when he auctioned it and we all know his auction prices are too high. Give you £150 max.

Social source share

:rolleyes:

Nobody will pay much over £250-£300 for a while now.....can imagine haggling at a niter:

Buyer: How much do you want for this mate?

Seller: £500, it's a real rare 45 not one you see around

Buyer: £500? Feck off, Manship only got £209 when he auctioned it and we all know his auction prices are too high. Give you £150 max.

:D

wish i taken a screen print of the end-of-auction

Social source share

mel williams - can it be me

rock - an aspirin would go crazy (looking for your brain)

Only my opinion of course, which counts for fook all anyway :yes:

Totally agree, but horses for courses, I'd never heard the Rock version before Adam T graced it's presence on a mix cd - graciously provided and enjoyed in the main..

Not my cup of tea - and if Butch played this out Ted then it was surely a blip in his usually elegant selections..

Regards

Greg.

Social source share

Is Mel the singer with the Rock ???

Ian.

No............although he did record on the same (BIT) label.

Daftest title ever for a soul record.......brilliant! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Only my opinion of course, which counts for fook all anyway :lol:

But my mate Ian loves it don't ya fella thumbsup.gif

:yes:100% agree with you on both counts.

It brings to mind the novelty version of "Prove Yourself A Lady" that did the rounds back in the day.

I can't remember what it was called or who it was by?

Dave.

Social source share

:yes:100% agree with you on both counts.

It brings to mind the novelty version of "Prove Yourself A Lady" that did the rounds back in the day.

I can't remember what it was called or who it was by?

Dave.

Just remembered the title "Permanent Injury) by?

Dave.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Just remembered the title "Permanent Injury) by?

Dave.

Dave, I can't recall it mate.

There again I can't remember what I had fer me f'kin tea laugh.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert