Brid Weekender Hotels -Any Problems ?

Having a chat on saturday night at Bridlington and was told by one couple their hotel had put an extra Tax of £1.75p a night on their room for the Northern weekender

We need to know to get this STOPPED !

If you bill contained a Northern levy please PM us with details, name of hotel , how much tax, and scan the bill in please, we got a price hike on our own digs as well !

Thanks very much

Rob & Karen

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Having a chat on saturday night at Bridlington and was told by one couple their hotel had put an extra Tax of £1.75p a night on their room for the Northern weekender

If you bill contained a Northern levy please PM us with details, name of hotel , how much tax, and scan the bill in please, we got a price hike on our own digs as well !

Thanks very much

Rob & Karen

Hi Rob/Karen

I never went myself but just wanted to say ..in my own experience a lot of places that have weekenders end up doing this .

Usually not the 1st season ,but when they catch on that it's gonna be on the following yr ,they put it in the calendar and charge extra .

Whitby did it after the 1st one as i recall .

Unless of course it's a caravan /chalet on a complex type do .

Not much different from when i try to book a hotel in Manchester to attend the Greatstone,same weekend Man Utd play at home ..price at my chosen hotel went from £49 per night per couple to £120:ohmy:

Its called supply and demand ....it's not fair but understandly from your point of view adding it to a bill ,is a bloody disgrace.

Is it not enough that you have brought these people much wanted revenue ,that they have to be greedy about it,and turn it into "RIP OFF BRITIAN"

Here's hoping you get some sense into these people before they spoil it for everyone

Best

Nev

Social source share

Thanks very much

Rob & Karen

......their hotel had put an extra Tax of £1.75p a night on their room

Can't imagine that is going to allow them to retire in the sun .... is that figure right ? and is it worth worrying about?

Social source share

Can't imagine that is going to allow them to retire in the sun .... is that figure right ? and is it worth worrying about?

Mike i think it's a levy for damage to carpet due to practicing spins etc:lol:

p.s Sorry Rob ..could'nt resist although it is a serious matter:thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes 100 % true ! and just trying to find out any more that did it ! Its taking the piss, put the room up and add £10 and no one would notice multiply this (1.75p) by 2,500 and then by 3 and youre talking £12, 750 that quite a few pints :laugh:

Rob

Social source share

Yes 100 % true ! and just trying to find out any more that did it ! Its taking the piss, put the room up and add £10 and no one would notice multiply this (1.75p) by 2,500 and then by 3 and youre talking £12, 750 that quite a few pints :laugh:

Rob

£12,750 divided by all the landlords in Brid is not a lot of pints:no:

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Thanks very much

Rob & Karen

We didn't have a problem with our Hotel(The Expanse),but,we deal with the Hotel trade both as a contractor and an end user and it is common practice I'm afraid to put a levy on at busy times,Its not morally right ,but unfortunately it is legal,they can charge whatever they think they will get away with.

As an example when we have had engineers in a Hotel in Southampton at boat show week the tariff doubles!

Steve.

Social source share

6,300 beds in Brid ! I'm waiting for a £10 a night charge as the weekender sells out quicker- £60 a couple extra ? it needs nipping in the bud thumbsup.gif

Rob

6,300 beds in Brid ? ohmy.gif & I couldn't even find one :yes: (I did leave it late to book) so stayed on the South Cliff in Scarborough (not literally).

Still, it was worth every mile between Brid & Scarborough & Scarborough & Brid plus my hotel was that LOVELY I might even do the same next year :lol:

Social source share

Guest Ranger

Increasing prices at times of high demand is normal practice. I'm going to Wembley in October for the NFL game. As soon as the date of the game was announced the Travel Lodge trebled it's prices. Nothing to do with morals, it's business and as long as it's quoted up front the customer can decide whether they pay it or not.

But, if it was added on top of the agreed price with no prior notification that's a very different matter and very probably illegal. If that is the case you're right it needs nipping in the bud, if only as a matter of principle. A call to Trading Standards might well be in order .:yes:

Kev

Social source share

[

But, if it was added on top of the agreed price with no prior notification that's a very different matter and very probably illegal. If that is the case you're right it needs nipping in the bud, if only as a matter of principle. A call to Trading Standards might well be in order .:thumbsup:

Kev

Social source share

Guest Ranger

Rob, just a thought, it doesn't sound from what you've posted as if you've actually seen the bill? As has been said the amount being charged is a bit low to make any real extra profit but it's also very specific, £1.75pppn.

It isn't just a credit card processing fee is it?

Kev

Social source share

I think there would be an issue if the price was raised after you had booked it at a specific rate unless they clearly state that it is their proactive to do this without consultation with the customer.

If there is no "small print' to inform you of this and you can prove that the "contract" has been made for a particular rate then you have reasonable grounds for redress.

The key words would be reasonable and this is born by both parties, an increase of £1.75p a night could be argued in a small claims court but sea side resorts have a high season and adjust prices accordingly.

Arguing that an increase of £1.75p would be a very steep hill to climb.

Social source share

Rob, just a thought, it doesn't sound from what you've posted as if you've actually seen the bill? As has been said the amount being charged is a bit low to make any real extra profit but it's also very specific, £1.75pppn.

It isn't just a credit card processing fee is it?

Kev

I've been asked to get proof from someone VERY high up in the tourist industry in Bridlington, I already have 2 bills (thanks) , but this needs nipping in the bud.

As many have said it hardly seems worth bothering about-however as we only charge £20 a ticket for the event (we have again absorbed the price rise for 2011)-we need the town to support us (and YOU) by playing fair and NOT TRYING TO CASH IN--if we ever move the event-then there will be plenty of empty beds at bargain prices ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif

Rob

Social source share

Totally agree.............can't see that anything could be done anyway. Bit like Christmas, everything goes up in price!!!

At the end of the day, if folk want it badly enough..........they'll pay!!

Edited by jobbo
Social source share

Hotel I stopped in last year (Monarch) tried to charge me £12 per person per night more this year & we'd reserved them last year on checkout.

There were 6 of us stopping for 4 nights (went Thursday) so that's £288 difference.

Told e'm to stick it & booked somewhere else.

If the promoters can honour their promise & stick to the price agreed a year ago why can't the hotel.

Social source share

Hotel I stopped in last year (Monarch) tried to charge me £12 per person per night more this year & we'd reserved them last year on checkout.

There were 6 of us stopping for 4 nights (went Thursday) so that's £288 difference.

Told e'm to stick it & booked somewhere else.

If the promoters can honour their promise & stick to the price agreed a year ago why can't the hotel.

Well I ran a search through one of the internet hotel booking sites about 2 months ago and the Monarch came up with available rooms at £450ish for a couple for 3 nights. At the time I thought that really is cashing in. Needless to say I didn't book it.

Social source share

Guest Bicks

6,300 beds in Brid ! I'm waiting for a £10 a night charge as the weekender sells out quicker- £60 a couple extra ? it needs nipping in the bud thumbsup.gif

Rob

6,300 beds in Bridlington? Isn't that a Katie Melua song?

Social source share

Rob,

we booked into your hotel for next year and he gave us a £10 a night discount on the normal price, so if your saying he has hiked the price up then i pressume we are paying the normal price for the room then with NO discount, will speak to you about it via a PM as don't want to name hotel yet !

Best, Ian.

Social source share

I would say the majority of hotels in Brid are keeping prices inline within current inflation rates. I also know of many people who did not book a room until the week before the weekender . there may be one or two playing on it but i think they may be the ones directly opp the Spa

Social source share

Guest yorks old boys

I've been asked to get proof from someone VERY high up in the tourist industry in Bridlington, I already have 2 bills (thanks) , but this needs nipping in the bud.

As many have said it hardly seems worth bothering about-however as we only charge £20 a ticket for the event (we have again absorbed the price rise for 2011)-we need the town to support us (and YOU) by playing fair and NOT TRYING TO CASH IN--if we ever move the event-then there will be plenty of empty beds at bargain prices :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Rob

well said could bus everyone from caravan site down road

Social source share