Last Ever Record Played At Venues

Guest Little Anthony

Guest Little Anthony

What were the last ever records played at venues...(on the last night)

I'm thinking:

Wigan: Dean Parish..Im on my way

Mr M's: Frankie Valley ..The Night

Original Wheel: Barbara Lewis..Someday we're gonna love again

Cats: Walter Jackson..Where have all the flowers gone

Blackpool Mecca Young Holt Limited, California Montage..although it depends what you class as the last night..any other ideas..Torch?

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

100 Club - Walter Jackson - thats what mama said - okeh biggrin.gif

A bit biased about this venue , as I promoted it ........

Wakefield Unity All - Nighter - The Spinners " For All We Know "

Malc

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

A bit biased about this venue , as I promoted it ........

Wakefield Unity All - Nighter - The Spinners " For All We Know "

Malc

lAST record at The Wheel in Whitworth st. surely was Jimmy Radcliffe--LATIAO surely??

Tony

Social source share

Capitol Soul Club at the Dome was Jimmy Ricks 'Oh what a feeling', more often that not...though when we had the chance to over run we always through in a few 100% discs for the thrill of it all!

These Old Shoes used to be the Dells, 'Make sure'.

yes.gif

What flynny is saying is that we stopped playing records when the bouncers came in and dragged us off the decks lol :ohmy:

Innit man!

gregs

Social source share

Guest Little Anthony

lAST record at The Wheel in Whitworth st. surely was Jimmy Radcliffe--LATIAO surely??

Tony

Social source share

Guest Little Anthony

I was nowhere near old enough to have gone to the wheel first time round (Brazenose Street or Whitworth Street0 but have always thought..through third hand info. that Barbara Lewis was the last record played before it closed down..stand corrected (as the man sdaid in the orthopedic shoes) if anyone can comment who was actually there on the last night.

That apart..what was the last record played at the Torch before it closed

Social source share

I was nowhere near old enough to have gone to the wheel first time round (Brazenose Street or Whitworth Street0 but have always thought..through third hand info. that Barbara Lewis was the last record played before it closed down..stand corrected (as the man sdaid in the orthopedic shoes) if anyone can comment who was actually there on the last night.

At / on the last one at The Torch , the record was Tony Michaels " I Love The Life I Live " .

The first one played at the first all - nighter was Bobby Garrett " I Can't Get Away "

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Me neither-----but according to the excellent book anout the Wheel--CENTRAL 1179---AT THE LAST 2 YRS AT Whitworth St, the last tune was always Jimmy Radcliffe at 7-30 a.m.

Best

T.C.

Social source share

I was told that the last record (not sure if that means THE last or the last each week) at one of the older venues (Torch, Wheel I'm not sure which) was It Keeps Raining by Fats Domino. Is this right?

Mick

I always thought it was 'The Wheel ' (don't know which one) too Mick - love the record!

Social source share

when the aqua at hednesford " finished" the first time, little scotty played......ramsey lewis - wade in the water....CUMMMMMMMMM ONNNNNNNNN!!!

NEVER FORGET TRENTHAM, a night, for which i compiled the entire main room playlist and neil rushton closed with "just say goodbye" - esther phillips....WOW! what a tear jerker that was.

the wonderful lea manor all-nighter finished with al wilson's " ive got a feeling".....and the tears flowed there as well, 7 years of sublime tunes and countless hours of informative education about real soul music, thanks again, to tate, lynne & martin.

note: you can still see the entire playlists for trentham and lea manor on mr. rimmer's SOULFULKINDAMUSIC website

Social source share

The last record played at Stafford TOTW was Edward Hamilton - Baby Don't You Weep, which pissed off many of us. As good as the record is, it's an oldie and untypical of TOTW. That was a big let down, but somehow fitting that it was played by Chris King, a fella who should never have been anywhere near the decks (if in the club at all).

Social source share

Guest BIG H

At the last Aberdeen Music Hall all nighter it was Eddie Parker Love You Baby...... no mid tempo or beat ballad enders up here laugh.gif

the last set at Shotts all nighter was done by Jocko and was either Esther Phillips Just Say Goodbye or O'Jays i'll Never Forget You

Social source share

• 3 months later...

The last record played at L'Ambassadeur Bradford was I don't want to discuss it- Little Richard .

It was playing when Squad came in to raid it and a copper knocked it off the turntable. I was stood right next to it.

Unless it was allowed to remain open after the raid pending the court case?

If it was did I go?

Social source share

Ask Robert from the shop!!

T.C.

you often mention this Robert from the shop charachter TC.

I'd like to meet him.

Rumour has it he knows almost everything that anyone can ever know about the Northern scene.

THE GEAR, THE SOUNDS, THE VENUES, THE PEOPLE, THE WHOLE LOT.

personally i doubt such a character exists.

If I ever met him I'd test him on little things, like did the stairs to the Cats go up or down or how could you tell the difference between real 2 tone pinks and false ones. Was Little Willy really little? Are chalkies shite or not? Which is rarer, Out on the floor on Thunderbird or Beautiful Night on Parlophone issue?

and so on.

I doubt if anyone can know all that stuff.

Social source share

you often mention this Robert from the shop charachter TC.

I'd like to meet him.

Rumour has it he knows almost everything that anyone can ever know about the Northern scene.

THE GEAR, THE SOUNDS, THE VENUES, THE PEOPLE, THE WHOLE LOT.

personally i doubt such a character exists.

If I ever met him I'd test him on little things, like did the stairs to the Cats go up or down or how could you tell the difference between real 2 tone pinks and false ones. Was Little Willy really little? Are chalkies shite or not? Which is rarer, Out on the floor on Thunderbird or Beautiful Night on Parlophone issue?

and so on.

I doubt if anyone can know all that stuff.

A few more tricky ones:

Did Smokey or Matchy ever smoke?

What colour were delipsoids?

What was stimplene?

How easy was it to jump the train to Crew from Sheffield?

How hard was it to swallow a benzedrex inhaler on a train|?

What type of engine pulled the train from Manchester to Crewe?

How much danger where you in, roughly, if Larry Lightning knew you had just done a chemist?

Why did Market Harborough have to shut at 5.a.m?

How did you get into Blackpool Mecca without a tie?

How many sounds at Blackpool Mecca were dynamite and how many were shit?

Did Kegsy where smart kegs?

Whats the difference between Alan Day and Johnny Day?

Did more than 76 people go to the 76 club?

Did CHAMPION by Willie |Mitchell ever exist as a single before it was re-issued on UK London?

Whats unusual about Errol Dixon---I want?

More later

Social source share

Guest roggert

Tony

used to play (american )spinners for all we know b side to i'll always love you as last recordfor a couple of years at the wheel amongst others- american )cos somebody complained that there were irish spinners and it might confuse peeps!!!!

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!