Hm Revenue & Customs

i received one of my long awaited records today from the usa . value just over the permited £18 your alloed before you get shafted for the customs charge . my record value came to £18 and 2 pence . due to the measly 2 pence i had to pay the customs charge of £11.28 :lol:.i would have thought there would be some middle ground but no . has anybody had the same experiance regarding the small amount i was over?, ie 2 pence

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i received one of my long awaited records today from the usa . value just over the permited £18 your alloed before you get shafted for the customs charge . my record value came to £18 and 2 pence . due to the measly 2 pence i had to pay the customs charge of £11.28 :lol:.i would have thought there would be some middle ground but no . has anybody had the same experiance regarding the small amount i was over?, ie 2 pence

Chuff me Paul, thats rough!!

Seeya later.

Tony

Social source share

Guest martyn

Haven't had it with records ( yet ) but have been stung for other goods I've bought . The worst was when I bought a saddle for my horse , it cost a bloody fortune to get it out of the customs at Heathrow .

Can't get my head around why they have taken such an aggressive stance over items hat are have absolutly no retail value in the mainstream market .

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

Haven't had it with records ( yet ) but have been stung for other goods I've bought . The worst was when I bought a saddle for my horse , it cost a bloody fortune to get it out of the customs at Heathrow .

Can't get my head around why they have taken such an aggressive stance over items hat are have absolutly no retail value in the mainstream market .

Pity they're not as hot-on when it come's to stopping illegal immigrants entering the country.

Social source share

What's the value above which duty becomes payable?

I recently got a reasonably expensive record from the States and even though the seller stated nowhere near what I'd paid he still stuck $100 on the green customs declaration label.

Normally sellers just state a few dollars.

I wasn't charged any duty. Was I lucky or was I just under the limit?

Chris

Social source share

Guest john s

What's the value above which duty becomes payable?

I recently got a reasonably expensive record from the States and even though the seller stated nowhere near what I'd paid he still stuck $100 on the green customs declaration label.

Normally sellers just state a few dollars.

I wasn't charged any duty. Was I lucky or was I just under the limit?

Chris

lucky.

Social source share

Very lucky...

I paid out over £70 in customs charges last month (4 seperate packages).

It used to be that many a YEAR.

Obviously Customs officers are worried about their employment position due to the new Public Sector cuts - and are trying to save their jobs by agressive chasing of custom charges.

Social source share

Very lucky...

I paid out over £70 in customs charges last month (4 seperate packages).

It used to be that many a YEAR.

Obviously Customs officers are worried about their employment position due to the new Public Sector cuts - and are trying to save their jobs by agressive chasing of custom charges.

Happened to me for the first time last month...............does look like they're clamping down on the charges of late!!! :ohmy:

Social source share

This happened to me for the first time this week on a $30 buy. Got me angry then I opened the package to find the M- record as stated was barely Vg. Had to send it back. Swings and roundabouts.

Had to laugh in the end.

Kev

Had a few of them M- myself vg if there lucky, ..but also had vg+ that are Mint unplayed, like you say Kev,..swings and roundabouts :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest lolmil

i received one of my long awaited records today from the usa . value just over the permited £18 your alloed before you get shafted for the customs charge . my record value came to £18 and 2 pence . due to the measly 2 pence i had to pay the customs charge of £11.28 angry.gif.i would have thought there would be some middle ground but no . has anybody had the same experiance regarding the small amount i was over?, ie 2 pence

I have just had something delivered and wasn't happy with the amount so found a website which will calculate the cost of import duty and it was less that what was on the label to pay but then if the item was handled by Royal Mail there is an £8 handling charge on top of the custom charge which is probably why it for you it seems high for such a small amount.

Loll

Social source share

I have just had something delivered and wasn't happy with the amount so found a website which will calculate the cost of import duty and it was less that what was on the label to pay but then if the item was handled by Royal Mail there is an £8 handling charge on top of the custom charge which is probably why it for you it seems high for such a small amount.

Got done last month with one and called Royal Mail to ask them what the charge was for. The £8odd charge is their admin chanrge for paying customs on your behalf and from what I was told by people on here, theres no way round this. I think its daylight robbery.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert